Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Aboleth Realmslore

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tauster Posted - 07 Jan 2008 : 14:51:23
I did a research on Aboleth lore in FR products and would like to post the results here. The scroll is about 13 pages (A4, Verdana 8) long and is comprised of paragraphs containing the relevant quotations from various 2e and 3e sources.

Can I post it here or are there legal problems (posting portions of text from WotC books)?

I'd be happy if candlekeep's sages would join in the research and point me to other relevant sources!

Here's an Example: Aboleth lore from FR11 Dwarves Deep

p.48
“The Deeps” is a vast underground region underlying the lands east of the Shining Sea and south of the Sea of Fallen Stars. It has always been heavily populated and dangerous, with many races vying for supremacy in the Lands that Never See the Sun.
Drow kingdoms have risen and fallen several times, and duergar have made steady advances, the latter at the expense of illithids and svirfneblin, whose numbers have dwindled. Cloakers and aboleth lurk on the fringes of the Deeps, scheming to control key rivers, lakes, and mines. Intelligent fungi are plentiful, and this ready source of food has made the Deeps sought by many.
The term “The Deeps” refers to the Deep Lands, which are areas not ruled by the dwarves, and the Deep Realm, the rich land of Gold Dwarves under the Great Rift and the Shaar east and north of it.

The Deep Lands
These dangerous regions are not fully detailed here. DMs interested in expanding these notes to create their own Deep Lands are directed to the AD&D® Dungeoneer ’s Survival Guide for useful background material. A creature native to the Deeps, the Deepspawn, appears in this chapter. Notable Deep Lands features include:

The Deepfall: The Deepfall is a waterfall that takes the River Raurogh to great depths, to levels haunted by cloakers, aboleth, and worse.

p.50
Thuulurn
Population: 5,600
Titular Ruler: First Hammer of Moradin Thungalos Truetemper (LG dwarven male P10)
This is a small, fortified monastic enclave of priests dedicated to Moradin.

Keeping aloof from most Gold Dwarves, they work continuously to influence events in the Deeps and surface lands, to better the lot of all dwarves.

They have been known to hire or make deals with adventurers of all races to carry out their aims. A common payment for healing badly-beaten adventurers, or raising one or more slain party members, is to undertake a mission. Typical missions include a strike against the duergar, freeing dwarves from drow slavery in the Depths Below, slaying an aboleth at a certain underground lake, or finding and slaying the latest cloaker overlord with
designs on the Deep Realm.

p.51
Deepspawn are native to the Deeps, and have successfully resisted the attempts of dwarves, drow, duergar, cloakers, illithids, and aboleth to exterminate them.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 11:55:28
Polyhedron article about Llurth Dreier is a great source not mentioned, a bit overpowered though
The Sage Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 11:13:09
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by tauster
Here are the listed sources without any text. If the moderators allow, I'll gladly post the version with the shortened quotes.
<snip>

Sage? Did the lore mentioned by tauster get into the Candlekeep?

I'm fairly certain I nabbed a copy. I'll take a look.
Zireael Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 10:05:28

quote:
Here are the listed sources without any text. If the moderators allow, I'll gladly post the version with the shortened quotes.
<snip>

Sage? Did the lore mentioned by tauster get into the Candlekeep?
The Sage Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 08:37:09
I've also got a few new ideas for some alternative Aboleth Realmslore. It's just finding the time to put them in a coherent form.

Hopefully more to come.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 07:18:37
In response regarding the illithid in Tangled Webs- yes Vestress/triss WAS her(it's) name, and it's quite possible that she(it) was the same one as the Spelljamming illithid. She was a powerful member of the Kraken Society, so it's possible she got around a bit in that capacity. Of course, she was killed in that book, I believe, so it may be a moot point.
Dennis Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 04:57:22
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Catfish can get really frickin huge...I have personally seen specimens that, while not being able to actually eat a man, could easily mostly swallow a man whole.

Some catfish you have there.

What we have in our country, which is as rich in flora and fauna as Australia, is the trout-size kind.

Do you mean the Mekong giant catfish?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AquatottoGifu_mekonoonamazu.jpg

That's the largest, but hardly can swallow a man. A fetus, maybe.
Dennis Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 04:48:08
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

The mini looks like a mutated catfish.

Ergo, the mini is highly accurate to the ridiculous (IMHO) monster.

I know aboleths LOOK like catfish (I read Bruce's Plague of Spells and some other novels where they made an appearance), but I didn't expect them to be horrendously altered that they also look like one of the monsters in Yu Yu Hakushu and Bleach. I'll post the link when I find them.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 01:45:05
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Almost as scary as the Simpson's three-eyed flounder!!!

... of Doom!!!

EDIT: I even found a mini of this thing!

Silly MT, that's the figure for the 100-eyed squirrel...
Markustay Posted - 09 Oct 2010 : 22:03:20
quote:

Almost as scary as the Simpson's three-eyed flounder!!!

... of Doom!!!

EDIT: I even found a mini of this thing!
Dalor Darden Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 04:07:53
I've always thought the Aboleth looked almost identical to catfish.

HOWEVER...Catfish can get really frickin huge...I have personally seen specimens that, while not being able to actually eat a man, could easily mostly swallow a man whole.

I think that Aboleth created catfish to be their guardians...hehehe
Dennis Posted - 07 Oct 2010 : 21:00:41

Ionik Knight Posted - 07 Oct 2010 : 19:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Does anyone know of a commercially available aboleth miniature in 25 mm (normal wargame scale) or 28 mm (idiotic, oversized D&D Minis scale)?

Here's the D&D minis version.
Loooonnggg link!
Personally I prefer the Reaper version.

Mod edit: Cast shrinky link.
Zireael Posted - 07 Oct 2010 : 14:52:17
quote:
<snip>

What happened to it? Is it on Candlekeep or somewhere? I'm going to make a half-aboleth, so I'll probably need this research.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 30 Jan 2008 : 23:24:28
*sigh*

As my hero, Michel de Montaigne, was wont to say: "What do I know?"

Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2008 : 12:27:08
quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth, but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

I found the books the other day, while looking for something else... Teldin Moore's illithid buddy was Estriss. Close, but not quite the same.
ShadezofDis Posted - 29 Jan 2008 : 15:12:11
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yeah, but then an enterprising mage comes up with the wall of salt spell, and there goes the encounter!

Psh, that's what Enslave is for.

Enslave the fighters to take care of said mage. (stupid will saves)

:D
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2008 : 12:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

This is the closest thing I've ever seen to an official one:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=39741

It doesn't really look like an aboleth... But mother of Lurue, it's creepy looking!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2008 : 12:27:07
quote:

quote:

Does anyone know of a commercially available aboleth miniature in 25 mm (normal wargame scale) or 28 mm (idiotic, oversized D&D Minis scale)?

...just a crazy thought...
if you want a free, movable aboleth miniature, go out on the lawn and find a slug (nudibranch)!

...Oh, and please do us a favour and take a picture from your player's faces whan you put the "miniature aboleth" on the battlemap!

Yeah, but then an enterprising mage comes up with the wall of salt spell, and there goes the encounter!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 29 Jan 2008 : 12:24:58
This is the closest thing I've ever seen to an official one:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=39741
tauster Posted - 29 Jan 2008 : 11:09:45
quote:

...just a crazy thought...
if you want a free, movable aboleth miniature, go out on the lawn and find a slug (nudibranch)!

...Oh, and please do us a favour and take a picture from your player's faces whan you put the "miniature aboleth" on the battlemap!
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 23:40:23

AlorinDawn Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 21:49:10
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's Vestress.

The editing on "Windwalker" was absolutely horrendous and the mangling of some of the FR names therein borders on the criminal.

-- George Krashos

More quality from WotC....

The reasons to not buy anything else from these jackasses keeps piling on.
sparhawk42 Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 21:39:36
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's Vestress.

The editing on "Windwalker" was absolutely horrendous and the mangling of some of the FR names therein borders on the criminal.

-- George Krashos

Okay, thanks for the info and sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 04:14:37
That resolved, shall we entertain proposals on how to milk Ed for lore on the ancient aboleths of Abeir-Toril? I'm going to try a new question tonight.

George Krashos Posted - 27 Jan 2008 : 13:43:47
It's Vestress.

-- George Krashos
dirtywick Posted - 27 Jan 2008 : 05:16:12
I figured it was a typo when I read it.
sparhawk42 Posted - 27 Jan 2008 : 00:48:48
Okay, now I am very confused. I checked my books to make sure my previous post was correct and in my copy of Tangled Webs the illithid is called Vestress but in my copy of Wind Walker she is called Vestriss. Does anyone know which spelling it is and why it is different in separate books?
sparhawk42 Posted - 26 Jan 2008 : 19:05:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth,

Neither do I. I've not replaced them yet.

quote:

but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for winging it!

At least the name I recalled was the name of an illithid, even if it was the wrong one!

I am pretty sure the name of the mind flayer from Elaine's book was Vestress. Vestriss is very close so you didn't miss by much!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2008 : 17:32:03
quote:

I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth,

Neither do I. I've not replaced them yet.

quote:

but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for winging it!

At least the name I recalled was the name of an illithid, even if it was the wrong one!
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 26 Jan 2008 : 14:39:34
I don't have Elaine's books at hand to look up the name of the one who worked with the aboleth, but "Vestriss" was the name of Teldin Moore's friend in the Cloakmaster Cycle. I don't think the two mind flayers shared a name, and I'm fairly certain that they were different creatures. (What would a spelljamming mind flayer want with some out-of-the-way rocks off a useless coast in a technological backwater, hmmm?)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000