Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Inaccurcies of 4ED (Shade Princes) *SPOILERS*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
NOTE:

*HUGE SPOILERS*

In the return of the archwizards novel series by Troy Denning (Amazing Book), Two princes were known to be killed, Melegaunt (whose essence is absorbed into Galeron but still considered quite dead at the hands of Wulgreth) and Escanor.

The 4th Edition FRCG states on page 260 that Melegaunt is very much alive. They also mention Rivalen as being the chosen of Shar and dubbing the name Shadar-Kai, placing the context of this article AFTER spell fire and after Denning's books.

How did Melegaunt come back to life? Is there something I am missing?

Also, seems Escanor is not mentioned at all, meaning he is still quite dead.

quote:

Brennus, Faould,
Lamorak, Melegaunt, and the identical twins Mattick
and Vattick manage various government functions.

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  14:52:20  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he got resurrected or its a mistake. Your choice ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  15:01:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for resurrection. Perhaps as a lich. If so, he'd be the first in his city.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 04 Oct 2010 15:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  15:25:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Rivalen was also blasted to dust by Elminster, and then very much alive in The Twilight War trilogy. I can't remember exactly where, by I think it was hinted that all the princes were resurrected, despite their failures, to help the Most High against the forces opposing the Shade's return to power (pretty much everyone else). It is fair to assume that resurrection is not limited to people of good alignment, and that the Shades have more than enough resources to both cast the spell and to pay for the components.

And who knows, in the case of Melegaunt, I always suspected that he never died at all, he was the most manipulator of the princes after all. He managed to fool everyone, especially the main character (Galearion or something), into thinking he had good intentions, and we know he was evil to the core, wanting nothing but the Return, no matter who paid the price for it. He even managed to accomplish his goal without needing to show his true colors, and my theory is that he 'died' to 'prove' that he had good intentions. In that case, the Most High certainly helped him appear dead to Wulgreth's divination spells.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  16:22:43  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I think Rivalen was also blasted to dust by Elminster

Can you remember where you got that from? Because I can't remember reading it anywhere
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  16:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The death of Rivalen appears in the Shade attack over Tilverton, I think that in the third book of the series.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  16:57:52  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But that was against Vangerdahast not Elminster IIRC

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 04 Oct 2010 16:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  17:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

But that was against Vangerdahast not Elminster IIRC

Yes, but that's the only moment when Rivalen dies in the novels. The group of shadovar that go to Shadowdale don't include Rivalen if I recall correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  18:20:55  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that Rivalen was part of the trio who fought Elminster just before it opened a rift to Avernus (and triggered the events of Elminster in Hell). I'm pretty sure Elminster killed at least one of them, I thought it was Rivalen, but I appear to be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  18:28:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not going to coment on the obvious editorial flaws that are constantly creeping-in, but the one about Melegaunt is simple-enough.

My name is Mark, but I certainly don't think I'm the only Mark in the world, or even in my town. Does it specifically say it is the SAME Melegaunt?

The Rivalen one is quite a bit harder to repair.

I find it hard to believe that a goddess who is connected to shadows (which in D&D is connected to death/negative energy) would grant her priests spells relating to life (radiant energy).

On the other hand, their 'Shadiness' might have something to do with it. Perhaps being 'half-dead' gives them some sort of unique, lich-like ability to return (after a time). I would prefer a more Shar-like explanation then something as 'bright & shiney' as Resurrection.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2010 18:50:00
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  18:42:18  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I find it hard to believe that a goddess who is connected to shadows (which in D&D is connected to death/negative energy) would grant her piests spells relating to life (rediant energy).

Is that right? I always considered the plane of shadow and the plane of negative energy to have no particular connections. And IIRC, the shadow plane is moderately chaotic, but not evil (though it is Canon that shadow corrupts, and kills 'good' emotions, leaving only despair, which seems pretty evil to me)

As for resurection = light and good, I dunno. I think that healing and destruction domains (i.e, the cure and inflict spells) are pretty much neutral, but favored by good and evil priests respectively. As I tell my players, even evil people benefit from healing (even though an evil priest might heal himself first, and leave the others to rot), and an inflict spell is not more evil than a sword to the face.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  22:53:57  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the other hand, their 'Shadiness' might have something to do with it. Perhaps being 'half-dead' gives them some sort of unique, lich-like ability to return (after a time). I would prefer a more Shar-like explanation then something as 'bright & shiney' as Resurrection.

This is all speculation, but perhaps a Shade would, after death, "retreat" to the shadow plane, and there they could either wait until they recoup their energy, or are helped in their return by Telamont or another of his agents. Definitely nothing "bright and shiny" about that, and it makes at least an iota of sense, if my mind at least.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  06:45:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought that Rivalen was part of the trio who fought Elminster just before it opened a rift to Avernus (and triggered the events of Elminster in Hell). I'm pretty sure Elminster killed at least one of them, I thought it was Rivalen, but I appear to be wrong.

True. It was Rivalen. Here's the proof:

quote:

from The Summoning

As he approached his tower, a half dozen murky figures stepped out of the shadows and arrayed themselves before the entrances. There was the hornhelmed one called Rivalen, a square-chinned one in wizard robes, a cleric with a face as round as a dark moon, and three more swaddled in dark tabards that might have been covering armor or mere flesh.

Like all good assassins, they wasted no time with preliminaries. The square-chinned
wizard took the lead, launching himself straight at Elminster, his dark fingers already flashing through a spell to dismiss his foe's magic shields. Elminster countered with his own dispelling enchantment, and Storm sent a ball of silver fire over his shoulder toward the wizard.

Elminster had a bare moment to wonder if that was a good idea, then the sphere of blazing raw magic struck the shadow mage's spell shield. Instead of blasting through the barrier, as it would have any normal protection, the silver fire spread over the wizard's shadowy shield, silhouetting his body in white radiance. The shadow mage howled and covered his eyes, then the silver fire imploded, crushing the fellow in its iron grip and shrinking to a brilliant orb barely the size of an eyeball.

Remember though that Rivalen is The Nightseer, a High Priest of Shar - a very favored servant of the goddess. So whatever fate (death, resurrection) visits him, blame it to the goddess.

quote:

I find it hard to believe that a goddess who is connected to shadows (which in D&D is connected to death/negative energy) would grant her piests spells relating to life (rediant energy).

It's possible that Shar whisked him to the Plane of Shadow where he could recuperate. Or he simply could have been carrying with him that contingency spell.

As for resurrection, well, let's NOT think that Shar is stupid. If she doesn't have the power to give life to the dead, it does not mean she can't. What's the use of stealing, of trickery? She could have stolen a minute (really minute) portion of divinity/essence of any of the lesser deities of good alignment, store it in an inconspicuous place, and use it whenever she needs to. Or she could have simply duped a lesser deity to perform a deed for her – in this case, resurrect her favored servant. Really, there are countless possibilities how a goddess with the intelligence like Shar's could perform things that are not in the province of her powers/essence.

Go to Top of Page

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  08:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My name is Mark, but I certainly don't think I'm the only Mark in the world, or even in my town. Does it specifically say it is the SAME Melegaunt?

The odds of another Melegaunt being mentioned in the same paragraph as 3 other shade princes is very unlikely. So Melegaunt the youngest shade prince dies, then another high ranking officer named Melegaunt comes in and shares duties with the old melegaunt's 3 brothers?

That's a bit of a stretch..

Also I am fairly sure that page mentions his last name, I just wanted to point out how unlikely this scenario would be. After the whole Wulgreth issue I think wotc has stopped giving significant NPC's the same names.

A note on Shade princes Who do not stay dead:

To play Devils Advocate here, One prince is confirmed dead even in the 4ed book (if you consider his lack of mention in the book as an indication he is no longer around). This Shade prince missing from 4ed is Escanor who was killed by a Shadow blade created by Melegaunt
in the novel Realms of Shadow.

However the other two shades were killed by Elminster (using Silverfire) and Wulgreth (Powerful lich whose phylactery is the karse stone.. if that matters). Of the 3 shade princes who have been killed, I would consider Escanor as the most capable of coming back.. (Shadow Sword kills Shade prince..?) I mean.. Silverfire should have done the job, I can't think of a more pure energy from the opposite side of the spectrum. Are these shade princes just invincible?

All that said, I love Melegaunt and always thought he would have had a plan ahead of time to get his butt out of the fire, I was waiting throughout the whole series for the surprise ending, I got one but it wasn't related to Melegaunt in any way.

Edited by - Noxica on 05 Oct 2010 08:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  08:52:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noxica

quote:

The odds of another Melegaunt being mentioned in the same paragraph as 3 other shade princes is very unlikely. So Melegaunt the youngest shade prince dies, then another high ranking officer named Melegaunt comes in and shares duties with the old melegaunt's 3 brothers?

That's a bit of a stretch..

Also I am fairly sure that page mentions his last name, I just wanted to point out how unlikely this scenario would be. After the whole Wulgreth issue I think wotc has stopped giving significant NPC's the same names.

I concur. Even the first name itself to be same, 'Melegaunt,' is already far too unlikely. How much more when the last name is the same, too. No, it's really the SAME Melegaunt Tanthul who "appeared" to have died in Wulgreth's hands.

At first I thought the Most High might have saved him. However, I realized that if Telamont indeed helped his son, then he wouldn't have to waste resources - his own other sons included - in tracking and capturing Galaeron (because he wanted to use the elf's knowledge [which came from Melegaunt] on the phaerimm). So one possibility is that Melegaunt had been carrying a contingency spell that activated upon his near-death encounter with the lich, and teleported him back to the Plane of Shadow or to his tower/refuge in Vaasa where he spent months recuperating.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  09:00:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This Shade prince missing from 4ed is Escanor who was killed by a Shadow blade created by Melegaunt
in the novel Realms of Shadow.

Realms of Shadow is an anthology, not a novel. Anyway, in which short story did it happen? Can't recall any.

quote:

However the other two shades were killed by Elminster (using Silverfire)...

Two? I don't recall any mention of it. I only know one, Rivalen - the source of which I posted earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  09:08:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All that said, I love Melegaunt and always thought he would have had a plan ahead of time to get his butt out of the fire, I was waiting throughout the whole series for the surprise ending, I got one but it wasn't related to Melegaunt in any way.

I share your interest in Melegaunt. He's too cunning and didn't always rely on his magical strength (however insignificant it is compared to his brothers'). He used to be my favorite of all the princes, but when Twilight War came out, my favor veered to Rivalen and Brennus.

I expected Melegaunt to reappear in The Sorcerer. Well, at least now he did.

Go to Top of Page

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  09:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look for the story by Troy Denning in the novel. I believe it is called Darkblades or something similar, It explains the backstory of how melegaunt got the Vassans to originally aid him ect ect.

A very early prequel to the events of Return of the Archwizards.

I didn't mean 2 shades were killed by Elminster, I just meant 2 shades were killed, one by silverfire and one by wulgreth.

As Far as Melegaunts Return:

I think that because his essence was invested into Galeron, he laid the ground works to come back to life somehow using Galeron as a tool to do so, Really when you look at what he tells Galeron about his shadow self and how he dies and how whenever Galeron recalls information from Melegaunt in regards to the phaerimm, He never really knows "how" he has this information just that he is able to recollect it.

I think Galeron is a walking vessel or phylactery of some kind.. again this what I was thinking the minute I read Melegaunt was dead, this is purely a theory.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  09:40:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Look for the story by Troy Denning in the novel. I believe it is called Darkblades or something similar, It explains the backstory of how melegaunt got the Vassans to originally aid him ect ect.

Maybe you mean Darksword. I read that short story long time ago, and fortunately still remember almost all that happened in it. It only chronicles how Melegaunt recruited servants (the Vaasans) by creating darkswords to rid their village of vile creatures. I don't think there's any mention of Escanor being killed by a darksword. Or maybe you just meant that the details on Melegaunt creating that kind of sword is in that story?

quote:
As Far as Melegaunts Return:

I think that because his essence was invested into Galeron, he laid the ground works to come back to life somehow using Galeron as a tool to do so, Really when you look at what he tells Galeron about his shadow self and how he dies and how whenever Galeron recalls information from Melegaunt in regards to the phaerimm, He never really knows "how" he has this information just that he is able to recollect it.

I think Galeron is a walking vessel or phylactery of some kind.. again this what I was thinking the minute I read Melegaunt was dead, this is purely a theory.

Interesting. A 'walking phylactery.' I like that.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  13:05:02  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
At first I thought the Most High might have saved him. However, I realized that if Telamont indeed helped his son, then he wouldn't have to waste resources - his own other sons included - in tracking and capturing Galaeron (because he wanted to use the elf's knowledge [which came from Melegaunt] on the phaerimm).

Hmmm thats right, Telamont has wasted resssources by finding Galaeron, but then I hated how easy it was for Galaeron and his crew to escape Thultantar. What if (and I know that might be a bit of a strech), it was all [/joker_voice on] 'part of the plaaaan' [/joker_voice off]? Maybe he never needed Galaeron after all, or that Melegaunt was alive, but did transfert all his useful memory into Galaeron.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I think they just killed a few princes, and decided later that they wanted them back, so they just brought them back without explanation. Maybe the most boring solution is the right one.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  14:12:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
At first I thought the Most High might have saved him. However, I realized that if Telamont indeed helped his son, then he wouldn't have to waste resources - his own other sons included - in tracking and capturing Galaeron (because he wanted to use the elf's knowledge [which came from Melegaunt] on the phaerimm).

Hmmm thats right, Telamont has wasted resssources by finding Galaeron, but then I hated how easy it was for Galaeron and his crew to escape Thultantar. What if (and I know that might be a bit of a strech), it was all [/joker_voice on] 'part of the plaaaan' [/joker_voice off]? Maybe he never needed Galaeron after all, or that Melegaunt was alive, but did transfert all his useful memory into Galaeron.

I entertain the possibility (as mentioned by Noxica) that part of Melegaunt's essence/soul was imbibed into Galaeron (not just memory). That could explain why though he's new to the use of shadow magic he is nevertheless so adept with it. Melegaunt knew that the Most High badly needed his knowledge on the phaerimm, so he transferred part of himself to the elf (whom he believed his father could easily capture), while he's nursing his wounds in the Plane of Shadow.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to intrude on the discussion, which I think is a great one . . . just thought I'd clarify something:
quote:

One prince is confirmed dead even in the 4ed book (if you consider his lack of mention in the book as an indication he is no longer around).
His lack of mention in the book does not mean that he's dead, only that the book doesn't discuss where he is. He might be dead, he might be in hiding, he might be stripped of his powers, he might be exiled, he might have rebelled against his father and been imprisoned, etc., etc., the list goes on.

There are lots of people not specifically mentioned in the FRCG who are still alive and kicking, for instance, Storm (who is in Elminster Must Die).

All that's saying is: "His canonical fate isn't discussed here" and if he hasn't appeared elsewhere, then "his fate hasn't been established canonically."

Until we get a novel (or, more likely, trilogy of novels) focusing on Netheril, we probably aren't going to know with any certainty.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe you mean Darksword. I read that short story long time ago, and fortunately still remember almost all that happened in it. It only chronicles how Melegaunt recruited servants (the Vaasans) by creating darkswords to rid their village of vile creatures. I don't think there's any mention of Escanor being killed by a darksword. Or maybe you just meant that the details on Melegaunt creating that kind of sword is in that story?

Melegaunt creates the darksword, Then vala kills Escanor.
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there ya go folks, Erik's next work will be a Netheril trilogy. =)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Brennus, Faould,
Lamorak, Melegaunt, and the identical twins Mattick
and Vattick manage various government functions.

Sorry to also steal the thread for selfish reasons but it ties in a bit also. I am having my players run a 4E campaign in which one of the Princes of Shade wishes to become a Lich and locates a portal back to the year of the Fall of Netheril to try and steal Karsus' level 12 spell for himself (and with his knowledge, target a "different" deity with it rather than Mystryl). I plan on running "How the Mighty Are Fallen", updating it to 4E for this, and the Lichlord would be in fact this Prince of Shade.

I've currently decided to have this be Lamorak Tanthul, because I don't recall much info about him, thus making it easier, but if someone has a better suggestion or knows of more info (actually any info at all) about Lamorak, please share it. AThanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:58:13  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Sorry to also steal the thread for selfish reasons but it ties in a bit also. I am having my players run a 4E campaign in which one of the Princes of Shade wishes to become a Lich and locates a portal back to the year of the Fall of Netheril to try and steal Karsus' level 12 spell for himself (and with his knowledge, target a "different" deity with it rather than Mystryl). I plan on running "How the Mighty Are Fallen", updating it to 4E for this, and the Lichlord would be in fact this Prince of Shade.

I've currently decided to have this be Lamorak Tanthul, because I don't recall much info about him, thus making it easier, but if someone has a better suggestion or knows of more info (actually any info at all) about Lamorak, please share it. AThanks!

I am unfamiliar with "How the Mighty Are Fallen", but does the Lichdom has anything to do with the actual plan? And I did something similar, but instead the Princes found a way to bring Karsus back to life (he's turned into a statue and is in his fallen city's ruin). They then tried to cast the spell using the Shadow Weave instead, which Shar managed to clean of Mystra's Ban. BTW, it turns out Karsus didn't co-operate, having realised that no man should hold such power.

As for Lamorak, I don't know anything more than his small entry in Lords of Darkness.

Edited by - Kilvan on 05 Oct 2010 16:59:22
Go to Top of Page

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Melegaunt creates the darksword, Then vala kills Escanor.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:55:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ruul

Well there ya go folks, Erik's next work will be a Netheril trilogy. =)

I'd love that. But Paul's Cycle of Night trilogy also features the Shades and is scheduled for release on 2012. Which means Erik's possible Netheril trilogy will be released on what --- 2020?

Edited by - Dennis on 05 Oct 2010 19:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  18:02:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for Lamorak, I don't know anything more than his small entry in Lords of Darkness.

There's very little information about him everywhere. Even in RotA, he hardly had any 'stage time,' and none at all in TW.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  19:06:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a bit of a stretch...
Fair enough... bare in mind that I have never read this series, so I am completely unfamiliar with these characters - I only went by the OP.

Reading further in this thread, I now know I have read of Melevaunt, if it is the same one that encountered those Vassan barbarians. One of those quirky little FR stories that don't appear to have much connection to previously established lore.

Not that it was bad, per se, but it could have been a whole lot better with a wee bit of research.

One last commentary - when every group and its brother creates a 'special set of swords', guess what? They ain't so special anymore. 'Unnecessary redundancy' at its finest. If you like what someone else did, then use it, don't make your own version - its just cheesy (and wreaks of 'one-upmanship'). At the very least, make it something other then swords - how boring can you get? Netherease Archmages were known for their use of sceptres, NOT swords.

I was almost ready to read this series - thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2010 19:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  19:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that everything in FRCG is canon, Melegaunt Tanthul is very much alive in the Year of the Ageless One. It has not been revealed in canon, to my knowledge, how Melegaunt returned after his fatal encounter at Karse Butte.

We know that Telamont Tanthul has the resources to return his son from the dead. We also are given the impression, in my opinion, in RotAW that The Most High genuinely cares for his children. If Melegaunt could have been returned from the dead, with his apparently vast phaerim-lore intact, the Most High certainly would have done so. If not out of love, then out of necessity. His 'weakest' son, whom he took great strides to protect by hiding his 'weakness', holds the key to his, and ultimately Netheril's, greatest victory; an ultimate route of the phaerimm. Dad is very proud of Melegaunt, I'd think!

But that's not what the reader sees in RotAW. We get a mad-chase after Gaeleron. Telemont does this weird "I am Emperor Palpatine, join me in the Darkside!" bit.

I think Telemont's true goal was to, at once, seize the required phaerimm lore while keeping Gaeleron, Melegaunt's 'phylactery', from getting itself killed. Gaeleron was Hell-bent to do so. And, in my opinion, kinda' dumb.

Allowing time enough for Melegaunt, or when time allowed (Shade Enclave was fighting a two front war) the entire Court of Shade, to reclaim a clone body or a golem body or an undead body or have no body at all, just hang out astral all the time or bind himself to a magic item that allows him to project shadow images or a shadow form that allows him to instantaneously appear wherever there is shadow or just be a shadow possessing spirit or maybe an ancient netherese shadow golem or...
whatever.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000