Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  17:57:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A little bird (no, not Ed; he's anything but "little;" this particular bird is American, and dwells very near a seacoast) has told me there will soon be a major announcement regarding the Realms. Scribes, keep eyes peeled . . .
love to all,
THO

here or at wizards

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  20:55:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm, probably at Wizards, though the little bird lives near the seacoast where the sun rises, not the one whereover the sun sets . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  20:59:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
An east coast wizards warbler?

My that's a rare species indeed. Any clues as to when the announcement shall be made?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  22:41:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Rare? I wasn't even aware that such a species existed. Mind you, I learn new things about the Realms every day, even without the 4e material...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  23:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
OK, I have a question for the Sage Most Knowledgable (related to lore 3e and before):

Since the Realms is polytheistic in the sense that many people worship many deities, often equally (I may be wrong here), and not just that there are many different deities to worship, what happens to the souls of those who worship many deities in life, and not just one (this confuses me, because often in the novels worship comes in the form that the individual worships one specific deity of the many deities available; something that I like to think of "monotheistic polytheism if you please). It seems unfair that they would stuck in with either the Faithless or the False.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:00:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
HawkinstheDM, here's a quote from Ed's long-ago lore notes (sent to TSR back in 1987, I believe, after the "first flood" of Realms documents):

In the Realms, souls of dying humans (if not prevented from "drifting" by magic) go to the deity they are formally dedicated or bound to (their "patron deity"), if any.
Failing that, they go to the deity they were serving (performing a task, service, penance, or geas for), or obeying the clergy of, at the time of death.
Failing that, they go to the deity they have MOST served (worshipped, made offerings to, and participated in the rituals of) in life, if the did so deliberately (i.e. not if duped or if believing they were actually venerating another deity).
Only those who have renounced (directly, by word or resolve or in dreams, not necessarily in public before clergy, or by desecrating an altar or temple or repudiating clergy, though these "count" if not opposed by resolve, too) all faiths are considered "Faithless." Note: this does NOT mean not "believing in" the gods, this means not accepting that their influence is worthwhile or should extend to the person's self, or that their clergy should be obeyed.
In all cases except those dedicated to a patron deity (which obviously includes all clergy, paladins, hermits, and sworn servants) and those who perish while serving a deity, any greater god may decide, for the deity's own purposes, to force the drifting soul into another sort of body (reincarnation: rebirth as another species) or to be reborn as an innocent new human (a babe who remembers nothing of a previous life until future trauma, dreams, or the shock of polymorph or other magical contact "restores" some memories).
In the case of the dedicated and those who perish while serving a deity, only the deity they are dedicated to (regardless of deity type/status) can cause this reincarnation or rebirth (deity's choice), and can choose if the mortal is reborn knowing nothing of their previous life, or some important things (such as, ahem, which deity they are devoted to) of their previous life, with more memories to automatically begin to return to them, later in life.
Please note that there are magics that can ruin minds, making rebirth automatically "innocent" or even impossible, and there are magics that can limit the influence of deities on drifting spirits (such as the location of the dying person inside a consecrated temple - - not shrine - - of another, opposed deity). Deities who customarily work together (Mystra and Azuth, Silvanus and Eldath, et cetera) will never block the influence of a "friendly" deity for such purposes.
My intent in the home Realms campaign is that death (where raise dead magics are not involved) can be a great setback in an adventuring career, but not a total loss of character experience, but I appreciate that a publisher doing business in a strongly "literal" Christian marketplace may wish to handle such things differently, or omit rules mention of them altogether. That call must be yours.

So saith Ed, all those years ago. Obviously, slade (Dale Hensen) took a different tack when writing Realmspace, but I recall some Realms designers and editors saying at a GenCon not long after its publication that parts of that product were "non-canon" and so DMs should feel "very free, more even than when we just talk about the rules being guidelines" to ignore information on the afterlife that didn't fit with their own concepts, for the particular campaign.
I hope this is of help. A ticklish subject to some, obviously, and one hopes that mere game material will not cause dispute or upset among gamers except in terms of game utility and self-consistency.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Oct 2008 00:02:52
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hmm, probably at Wizards, though the little bird lives near the seacoast where the sun rises, not the one whereover the sun sets . . .

love,
THO

Do tell--I am an amateur orinthologist.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:57:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Obviously, slade (Dale Hensen) took a different tack when writing Realmspace, but I recall some Realms designers and editors saying at a GenCon not long after its publication that parts of that product were "non-canon" and so DMs should feel "very free, more even than when we just talk about the rules being guidelines" to ignore information on the afterlife that didn't fit with their own concepts, for the particular campaign.

Were the afterlife bits the only non-canon parts, or were there others? Because as much as I like Spelljammer and that particular product, I don't like it nearly as much from an FR standpoint.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  01:16:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Wooly, I recall audience members asking more than a few questions at that seminar, trying to get the panelists (TSR staffers all) to be more specific, but no one would get specific (obviously under orders not to; I recall some of them looking along the table at Bruce Heard, obviously to get signals from him as to how far they could go and what they could say). So I'm afraid I can't get more specific, because they didn't. Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  01:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I have several d20 books about the fiends and the Bad Places of the afterlife (e.g. Hell) and am curious if Ed makes allowances for the selling of one's soul to a Bad Thing, who may then process it or reprocess it into a minor demon or devil (or have it for lunch, to the total undoing of said soul)?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
(this confuses me, because often in the novels worship comes in the form that the individual worships one specific deity of the many deities available; something that I like to think of "monotheistic polytheism if you please)
It's called henotheism. What novels do you you find it in?
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  03:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have several d20 books about the fiends and the Bad Places of the afterlife (e.g. Hell) and am curious if Ed makes allowances for the selling of one's soul to a Bad Thing, who may then process it or reprocess it into a minor demon or devil (or have it for lunch, to the total undoing of said soul)?

Yeah, and what about financing your soul? Can demons take out a mortgage on your soul? Can you repossess your soul if the demon fails to live up to his side of the bargain?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  03:41:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Wooly, I recall audience members asking more than a few questions at that seminar, trying to get the panelists (TSR staffers all) to be more specific, but no one would get specific (obviously under orders not to; I recall some of them looking along the table at Bruce Heard, obviously to get signals from him as to how far they could go and what they could say). So I'm afraid I can't get more specific, because they didn't. Sorry.
love,
THO

Ah, well. Just knowing that parts of it are not considered canon makes me feel better, because I've never entirely liked the fact that I didn't considered that book Realms-canon.

Still, it lacked the glaring canon contradictions of Krynnspace. That supplement made me wonder if the Spelljammer books that were written to connect to other settings were being written without knowledge of those settings.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  03:50:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Oh, and adding to my ever-growing queue, with four unrelated (and likely to be tackled at separate times) queries...

What kinds of fae did Ed's version of the Realms have?

Are there Realmsian versions of Walpurgis Night? Not necessarily days when the boundary between the dead and the living was weaker, but days when any particular planar/metaphysical boundaries were weaker.

Can you tell us more about the hargaunt? We know it's a kind of symbiote and that it allows its wearer to change appearances (and apparently blocks magic from revealing that), but what else can you tell us about it?

And last... Page 68 of Swords of Dragonfire listed some items I didn't recognize from elsewhere, and I was wondering if you could say anything about them. The quote:
quote:
Darlock's six tasked spirits
The Crown of the Slayer
The Hunting Blade
The Door Into Nowhere
The wandering cloaks of wyvernshape
And dead Emmaera Dragonfire
Who left so many silent flying swords
To guard her enchanted bones

As always, thank you for your time!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  04:05:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love,
THO

Ah, well. Just knowing that parts of it are not considered canon makes me feel better, because I've never entirely liked the fact that I didn't considered that book Realms-canon.

Still, it lacked the glaring canon contradictions of Krynnspace. That supplement made me wonder if the Spelljammer books that were written to connect to other settings were being written without knowledge of those settings.

Indeed. Thankfully, we have Trampas "DragonHelm" Whiteman's efforts over at the DL Nexus which help to work out a few of the more glaring contradictions that exist in Krynnspace.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  04:08:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Additionally, I've kinda got a new query forming that'll likely add to my own backlog. The problem is, it is somewhat personal in nature, but does also touch significantly on Realmslore -- particularly the issue of religion/belief. I may just email it direct to Ed, my Lady, and you can judge whether I should share it with the rest of the scribes here at Candlekeep [or at least the part that's relevant to the Realms].

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  07:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

While poking through Dwarves Deep I chanced upon the name of (Fallen) King Javilaharr "the Dark" Snowsord and I began to wonder: are there any human traditions about a long-lost, long-prophesied heir to some lost kingdom, someone of "royal" descent who is considered by traditionalists to be the True King of their lost kingdom? {Whatever happened to L____, anyway? Tethyr has a Queen, but where's You-Know-Who?) Are there any "Kings Across the Water," deposed but still believed to be the rightwise king? Are there any human traditions about once and future kings or hero-kings who lie "sleeping" until their country needs them?

(Monarchism is so infectious. It's time to take a sniff of the old Liberty Tree, I reckon!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  09:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:

{Whatever happened to L____, anyway? Tethyr has a Queen, but where's You-Know-Who?)

Tethyr has a King and Queen. Guessing the identity of the King is left as a exercise for the reader.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  12:46:25  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:

A little bird (no, not Ed; he's anything but "little;" this particular bird is American, and dwells very near a seacoast) has told me there will soon be a major announcement regarding the Realms. Scribes, keep eyes peeled . . .
love to all,
THO

Wizards is licensing the Realms to Paizo?

Please?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  13:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
While poking through Dwarves Deep I chanced upon the name of (Fallen) King Javilaharr "the Dark" Snowsord and I began to wonder: are there any human traditions about a long-lost, long-prophesied heir to some lost kingdom, someone of "royal" descent who is considered by traditionalists to be the True King of their lost kingdom? {Whatever happened to L____, anyway? Tethyr has a Queen, but where's You-Know-Who?) Are there any "Kings Across the Water," deposed but still believed to be the rightwise king? Are there any human traditions about once and future kings or hero-kings who lie "sleeping" until their country needs them?

(Monarchism is so infectious. It's time to take a sniff of the old Liberty Tree, I reckon!)

You mean Lhaeo? Well he cast off his disguise (which is now inhabited by one of Elminster's female apprentices, shapeshifted of course), and married Zaranda Star... So he's now the King of Tethyr. (An unsatisfactory ending for both their stories for me, I'm afraid... but I won't go into that here).

I can think of one example where heroes (knights I think they were) were sleeping waiting for the nation's time of need... It was in Cormyr. (Highlight for spoilers): They were all unceremoniously slain in their sleep/stasis by Ghazneths or the Devil Dragon's minions during the Cormyr series (I think it was in Beyond the High Road).

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:04:58  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Ahhhh the long awaited, highly anticipated .....fully poseable, THO action figure!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Oct 2008 14:05:58
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message
This question goes back to the games people play in Faerun. Were any specific games made popular or invented in Netheril.....correction, Ancient Netheril???

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:34:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Ho hum... Just guessing, not endorsing, nor demolishing... Mayhap now that D&D as a system has become very similar to MMORPG rules, the Realms MMORPG is about to be launched?

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hmmm. Reading Zandilar's last post prompts a question: Ed, is there anything more you can tell us about the doings of that apprentice who's pretending to be Lhaeo?
Zandilar, I know you're right about that, but I've forgotten where that lore about the apprentice standing in for Lhaeo appeared. Can you or anyone remind me?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Ed or THO, if liches can learn new things/remember new people they met after they became liches (and what happened at those meetings), can they learn new magic - - and can they forget things? If they were already elderly/forgetful at the time of achieving lichdom, does their confusion/senility/forgetfulness continue, and even accelerate? Or not?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000