Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. As it happens, Ed was at work on this topic for other purposes, and so can almost instantly answer Cato the Elder's query about mines: "Ave, everyone. Something that's been on my mind for quite some time is how mining, especially mining for precious metals and gemstones, is done in the Realms. Ed, how are minerals like gold, silver and gemstones taken out of the ground (specifically, human communities in the North)?"
So, heeeere's Ed:

Dwarven mines tend to be neat corridors with shafts, slopes, stopes, and chambers expanded from corridors as the mining goes on, with pillars of solid rock left until they can be replaced by made-from-stone-not-ore replacement pillars, brought in and erected. In unstable rock, they are vaulted and buttressed regularly. Dwarves go in for elevators, ramps, and vent-shafts, "building" a mine as well as a king with competent masons and engineers would construct a no-expense-spared, no-nonsense palace.

By contrast, human mines in the North tend to be slapdash, makeshift, minimal-effort affairs, often just narrow cracks where men with picks and hammers and narrow "wheelbarrow" carts have excavated along a single vein of ore. Except where they branch off existing (abandoned) dwarven or gnome delves, they are often on the surface or very shallow (and so get used by all manner of beasts as winter lairs), or are little more than pits in a riverbank, or excavated sandbars, as gold or gems exposed by the scouring of a river and spotted by a prospector cause short-lived but energetic digging in a small, specific area. The easiest mines to work in summer, when shelter from the cold isn't the first priority, are open pit mines, but they involve the greatest labor in continually shifting waste rock "out of the way," so they are much used in Thay and other places where many slaves and/or magically-coerced beasts can be used to aid in this digging, but rare (except as long-abandoned relics of the past) elsewhere.
Much human mining in the North is a lone prospector with mules, or a team of five or less such miners, wandering to look for easily-gleaned surface "takings," or to explore every cave they come to (monsters and all) seeking a vein or lode they can exploit. There are the usual rumors of fantastically rich finds and "lost" or "secret" pure-and-large lodes associated with the prospecting life, but even when based on solid truth, tales (of course) grow in the telling.

So saith Ed. Who'd like to say more, but can't due to one of those all-too-familiar NDAs. This one is armored, and smiling grimly at Ed from behind the metal forejaws of its war-helm.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Dec 2008 19:47:23
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  17:40:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Curious that there should be an NDA relating to this topic... is that WotC clutching at the lore protectively and shouting "MINE!"?

Sorry. Couldn't resist the pun. Back to Ed's scroll...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  19:48:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, Jakk, I was speaking CONTRAPUNTALLY.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  20:44:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Jakk, Jakk, I was speaking CONTRAPUNTALLY.
love,
THO

Wow. I haven't had to look up a word in a dictionary in, like, 20 years, at least.

Nice to know you're a cunning linguist on top of everything else, milady.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:11:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Actually, I think Ed said too much.

But I'll wait and see if my guess was correct....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  03:25:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, Markustay, WHICH guess? How long I could keep my garters on? Or - -?
Ahem.
Hello, all. (createvmind, by all means get those hoses out, but only if you're going to lash me with them.)
I bring Ed's latest lore reply, this time to althen artren's query: "Also, have the baelnorn and elf wizards mentioned in VGTtD in Archendale (in the Sword and under and the picnic spot) and in Deepingdale done anything since the return of the elves to Myth Drannor?"
Ed replies:

Yes. And when the NDA that firmly covers that lore is lifted, I'll be able to tell you more.
(Sorry.)

So saith Ed. Who is NOT trying to be irritating, believe me. He finds much of this secrecy frustrating, though he's too much the gentleman to say so. (Though he does a great pre-reformation Ebenezer Scrooge. Snarly, miserly, venomous . . . and truly scary.)
love to all,
your now-garterless (though I'm wearing a black ribbon choker, a smile, and as I type this, a wink, too)
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  07:53:56  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
One cunning way to get those NDA's resolved: have Ed write LFR adventures!
I mean, how busy can he really be? ;)

Gomez,
currently looking for an adventure set in Deepingdale...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  16:54:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'd rather not make public my guess, since Ed's already said he has an NDA, and if I'm right, he could get in trouble (although I doubt he could get in any real trouble - he's too loved by fans).

Lets just say that I can think of only one well-known location that fits with a DDi article (adventure locale), and would entail loads of research on Dwarven Mining techniques.

As for the rest... the choker is nice, but I'm thinking a pretty pink bow strategically located as well...

and you beneath the tree.

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I mean, how busy can he really be? ;)
I really hope that was made in jest, because if he is even 1/10 as busy as he and THO claim he is, then I find it amazing that he even takes the time to address our questions at all.

And Thank him and THO once again for "being a light in the storm".

On Topic:
Since I don't have a question ready (actually, I have hundreds, but none of them pressing ATM), I rather ask something in the form of a 'Holiday Gift' to ED -

If there was a question you WISHED someone WOULD ask, what would it be, and what would your answer be?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Dec 2008 16:55:12
Go to Top of Page

Cato the Elder
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  22:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Cato the Elder's Homepage Send Cato the Elder a Private Message
Ave and thank you for the quick reply Ed, THO. It's much appreciated.

Moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:16:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've got another request for you, to add to my stack of questions.

Last night, while Narnra and I were reading together, I got to thinking about the tales Realms parents share with their own children. Now, I know you've covered this topic somewhat in the past, [and we've brief examples in the Realmslore] but what I'm really looking for here, are your suggestions [or even excerpts] on the kinds of stories that Realms parents would share with their children on cold, wintry nights.

There's actually a not-so-sinister motive for me asking this particular question... I'm trying to instill in Narnra a sense of Ed-crafted fiction for the Realms. I already plan to start her on the Young Dragonlance Reader books, so another of my old TSR loves will be passed on to her. And while I'd like something similar for the Realms, I'd settle for just some bits and/or ideas from you that would feature in the various kinds of children's tales in the Realms. They could help me to craft my own brief stories that would foster a love for the Realms in one so young.

Your thoughts?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:38:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

ED can we get any lore on some monk's of note within the realms, monks special to you if any?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  23:49:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
This time Ed returns to a question asked by Eldacar back near the end of January of this year, one query from among several: “2) To move away from magical, extra-planar inns and taverns (which I'm somewhat fascinated by, and any hints or tales about similar inns and the like elsewhere in the Realms would be fun to hear about), a question that jumps to court life in Cormyr. Festivities, "royal balls", and so on. What sort of clothing are the royals and the like often found wearing? For example, Swords of Dragonfire gave a basic idea of Azoun and Filfaeril, but what are Tanalasta and Alusair likely to wear, for example? I sort of see Tanalasta as being the kind to wear a dress, but Alusair isn't one who strikes me at first glance as agreeing to wear one unless the world would fall apart if she didn't.”
Ed replies:

Certain ceremonies (coronations, funerals, investitures, knightings, and the like) “require” by tradition that members of the royal family dress in certain ways (full crown, tiara or circlet, and so on).
However, for all “at pleasure” functions (feasts, receptions of envoys, balls, “presentations” of heirs [that is, occasions upon which proud parents introduce a noble child at court, personally to the monarch, as opposed to later ceremonies where a title is being confirmed by the monarch]), Obarskyrs can really wear what they want. In practice, this USUALLY means “what the reigning monarch approves of,” but various kings have varying degrees of control over their offspring, and the differing personal characters of the people involved affect matters, too.
For instance, Azoun IV really didn’t care how his daughters were dressed, so long as his queen, Filfaeril, was happy with their garb. He might have been surprised if they’d turned up stark naked, but would have accepted that state of affairs if it had been okay with Filfaeril. However, he would be displeased if they wore Purple Dragon uniforms of a rank they hadn’t in fact attained, or altered their appearances to deceive or mock any esteemed guest (for instance, painting their faces and adopting dress to appear to be native to Turmish when attending a function, when an envoy of Turmish was an honored guest at that function). It does NOT displease him when Alusair dresses in “mannish” clothing, nor are he and Filfaeril the sort of parents who would be outraged if Alusair came in dirty or wet from the road when she’d ridden in haste to be with them (they WOULD be annoyed if the servants didn’t offer her a bath and change of clothes, but quite content with matters if she then refused such things). In general, Filfaeril “rules the roost” in matters of dress and deportment, Azoun obliges her, and Fee expects “her girls” to not “disgrace the Throne” (by, say, exposing themselves to offend or excite older nobles).
Tanalasta, of course, would never dream of doing anything outrageous; she’s always trying to dress like a conservative, tasteful queen-to-be. At most “at pleasure” functions, she wears ankle-length gowns of expensive make and flattering cut, that are ankle-length and do not expose overmuch bosom (Tanalasta is well-endowed but not “large” in breast or hips). They may be sideslit if dancing is expected, but are intended to be quietly beautiful and project an image of conservative, confident responsibility, not to lure possible bed-partners.
Alusair’s approach to dress for an “at pleasure” function depends very much on her mood. She is more muscular than her older sister, but also more agile, and far more practiced at acting (she can dance better, or strut like a man, or lower her head and glide demurely, or be even more haughty and stately than Tana, if she wants to).
With that said, her garments can be just about anything. She has conservative gowns of the sort favoured by Tanalasta, and does wear them when she deems it fitting - - but she also has plunge-front and sideslit (up to above the waist) gowns, which she sometimes wears with nothing underneath. More of her wardrobe than Tana’s is flame-orange or fiery red or deep, thrilling blue, to catch the eye.
Alusair has been known to attend functions where there will be a lot of dancing, or where she wants to dissuade “wandering hands” or “mingle more with the lads” to talk rather than to be romantic, in breeches, jerkin, and half-cloak (in other words, mens’ clothing). However, such garments are usually tailored for her (visibly showing off her figure), and are often of spectacular hue or trim combinations, such that no one will mistake her breeches, boots, jerkin or flowing shirt, and half-cloak for rustic or foresters’ wear, but rather realize at a glance that these are splendid “for show” clothes.
However, there have been times when Alusair WANTS to melt into the background, such as when certain Sembian envoys who’ve eyed her lustfully since she was SO high come to Court, and on such occasions she will calmly wear gowns of conservative cut and hue, and stay close to her mother. NOT out of fear, mind, but as a matter of policy; she has discussed with her mother or father or both what role she’ll play that evening, and will then proceed to carry it out.
It should always be remembered that the Obarskyrs, during the long reign of Azoun IV, were quite used to attending such functions frequently; their GUESTS may have been excited, ill at ease, or fearing appearances and faux pas, but the Obarskyrs (yes, including the two Princesses, once they were past puberty and the awkward learning and rebelling stages preceding it) were very used to making small talk, mingling, deftly initiating, steering, and ending conversations, and dealing with minor problems (overexcited guest spews all over your gown? Calmly comfort him and guide him to an antechamber to be fussed over and calmed by servants, whilst you move on to a robing room where your servants always have replacement clothing ready, plus skilled dressers and maids expert in seeing to your cosmetics and hair. As Filfaeril was wont to say, “There’s no problem, dear, if you don’t MAKE it a problem.”).
We know (from what courtiers and revelers have witnessed, on several occasions) that all of the Obarskyrs carry at least a concealed dagger at all times, and that Alusair and Azoun are in the habit of wearing rather more weaponry, and sometimes hidden breastplates and gorgets inside bodices or jerkins that have been reinforced by armor plate. We also know that all four Obarskyrs (Tanalasta with some embarrassment, the other three with none at all) are quite capable of tearing or slicing off hampering clothing, regardless of what flesh is then exposed, if they feel the need in an emergency.
Azoun rarely changes clothing during an event unless there is need, and Filfaeril and Tanalasta usually change once at most (one outfit for dinner, one for drinking, talking, and circulating after). Alusair is again the wild factor; some nights she changes what she’s wearing not at all, no matter what’s happening, and on others she may change six times or even more. (Sticking to the same garments is more likely than changing, for her.)
What is certain is that Alusair will NOT tolerate clothing that fails her or the situation; a confining gown will be torn off, if a spiked heel breaks she’ll draw steel to hack the heel off her other shoe so that they match, or kick off both shoes to go barefoot until a servant brings footwear - - which she may wave away to go on being barefoot, or may accept (sometimes murmuring, “I’ll wear these only until you can bring my [boots or slippers or whatever], mind”).
So for trend-setting or bold fashion statements, look to Alusair (and if Filfaeril approves, she’ll have something similar made to wear at the next occasion, whereupon a Court fashion is usually set as many noblewomen follow the Dragon Queen’s cue). Tanalasta follows her mother in adopting the less colourful and bold garments, so she can be considered to behave like the older, more conservative noblewomen at Court, who will gladly adopt new hats or scarves or colours, but aren’t bearing their legs or bust in public for ANYONE!
For what it’s worth, I always mentally think of Alusair as a bright flame at these events, with a swirling off-the-shoulder half-cloak or scarf and something daringly cut, on the forefront of fashion - - unless she’s disapproving of someone or wants to send a “I don’t agree with this” statement, whereupon she will be dressed, often in black, like the most agile, lithe, and debonair young males in attendance.

So saith Ed. Who tries not to forget a single question, scribes, so keep them coming, and don’t ever despair that he’s forgotten yours!
Obviously, Ed set the chronological time of his reply to Azoun's reign before the events of BEYOND THE DARK ROAD.
By the way, if the published Realms were more like Ed’s home Realms campaign, you’d be seeing a LOT of revels; amid the chatter and flirtations of such events Ed feeds us a constant stream of adventuring hints and clues as to how feuds, alliances, and business ventures are unfolding among the nobles of Cormyr.
By the way (again), great queries, Markustay and The Sage; they've gone off to Ed, and I await his replies with interest!
love to all,
THO
Edit: I'm sorry, my nasty Microsoft Word snuck in an auto-"Correction" when I was flipping Ed's message to you, changing "robing room" to (heh) "robbing room." I've fixed it back now.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Dec 2008 15:33:33
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  06:44:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Another question for Ed, probably a weird one too. If a druid has a dire wolf companion and a some point becomes a regular wolf when wildshaping, would the dire wolf seek to dominate him as it would naturally do to lesser wolves? Does the bond between the two prevent such a thing from happening and if so would their be an uneasy tension between them as long as druid remained in wolf form? Are they're any circumstances where this could occur, injury, sickness?

A dire horse breed with other faerunian horses produces what?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  08:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'm surprised dear Lady THO didn't mention some other articles of clothing...

The answer regarding the clothes was excellent, but it's talking before Azoun's death. My question is: As the 'Steel Regent', what would Alusair wear? Would she still be wearing what she always did, or would she mellow down because of her responsibility?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:21:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I'm surprised dear Lady THO didn't mention some other articles of clothing...

The answer regarding the clothes was excellent, but it's talking before Azoun's death. My question is: As the 'Steel Regent', what would Alusair wear? Would she still be wearing what she always did, or would she mellow down because of her responsibility?

Alusair mellow down? I think when she's on her death bed, she'll still be trying to get some young blade to join her for a romp.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  14:56:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Alusair mellow down? I think when she's on her death bed, she'll still be trying to get some young blade to join her for a romp.
A young blade, or some pretty lass. Remember, Alusair is bisexual. So saith Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  15:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Loved the reply about the Obarskyr court fashions, thank you!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  22:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Which leads me to a fairly obvious follow-up: were there any balls which Alusair did attend naked (I'm assuming it would be foolish to ask the same about Tanalasta). If so, what were the circumstances? And how did everyone else react?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  22:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And how did everyone else react?

Carefully, I would assume.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  23:21:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
LOL!
Nicely put, Nerfed2Hell. Nicely put.
Hoondatha, Ed says:

Stark naked, no. Alusair always wears boots.
To balls and revels, that is, when otherwise unclad.
Aside from footwear, anklets, and other jewelry (when scantily clad she likes to wear large teardrop-pendant earrings), she has attended two revels naked and unadorned, and one revel naked but with "clothing" very cleverly painted onto her skin, so that she appeared clad to anyone less than about eight feet away.
Remember, royalty doesn't follow fashion. Royalty SETS fashions.

So saith Ed. Who's as busy at the keyboard as usual, finishing up two projects today.
love to all,
THO
Edit: Rino, Ed says you're very welcome. Any similar topics you'd like to hear more about?
Menelvagor, Ed says:

Alusair as Steel Regent wore armour more often, and mens' uniform tunics of the sort her father had favoured, to signal her standing and solemnity. So, no more public nudity. However, she also wore striking and revealing gowns frequently, and she and her mother, the Dowager Dragon Queen, sometimes wore nearly-identical spectacular gowns - - and sometimes wore gowns of the same cut, but that contrasted in hue. Alusair NEVER wore male clothing to match her mother's female clothing, however. She was not trying to send the message that she was a replacement Azoun, or her mother's bedmate, but rather that she stood for the Crown after his death.

So saith Ed, again. Busy fellow . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Dec 2008 23:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  01:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Actually, I'm intrigued by the balls, revels, and other “at pleasure” functions... things like when & where these parties are thrown, who makes the guest lists, what kind of special precautions (security and such) are taken, and are they thrown at whim or for specific reasons (celebrating special events, holidays, birthdays, coming of age type ritual, entertain visiting dignitaries).

Also, since Alusair's dress (and lack of such) & activities since becoming Regent have been brought up... has she toned down her bawdy behavior (romping with whomever strikes her fancy) or maybe worked harder to keep such things more discreet?

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  02:12:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed's incommunicado for the evening (he promised to help a lady get her first childrens' book ready to submit to a publisher, and is out meeting with her), but from our discussions, Ed holds the view (I'm paraphrasing him here, but not distorting his intent, I assure you) that as Steel Regent Alusair conducted herself with far more discipline than previously - - so there would be far less bawdy behaviour, and what did occur would be far more discreet.
Here's a direct quote from Ed:

What was appropriate when she was the rebellious tomboy princess (wooing the young nobles to her side to win personal support from the younger generation, when their noble elders were often open detractors of the Obarskyrs) twitting her royal father was no longer appropriate (in HER mind; she cared nothing for the opinions of others, aside from her mother Filfaeril) when she had become the Crown, even if only temporarily, as Regent. She was that most formidable of things: a truly queenly ruler who could not be shocked, or taken advantage of because of innocence, or lack of experience - - and who at any time could wink, grin, and then outdrink and outrut all the lads.
We all change as we age (sometimes it's called "growing up," and sometimes "sliding into senility" or ruder things), and Alusair is no exception. Observe her in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR and then in "The Long Road Home" tale I included in THE BEST OF THE REALMS, VOLUME 2: The Best of Ed Greenwood, and you can see that clearly, I hope.

So saith Ed (yes, I have his permission to share this private e-mail with all of you).
love to all,
THO
Edit: As for the revels, I'm sure Ed will say more, but in the meantime, could someone (The Sage? Wooly? Kuje?) provide links to Ed's two Realmslore web-columns that dealt with the courtiers and protocol of Court events in Cormyr? Please?
(I'll be . . . purrrr . . . very grateful.)

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Dec 2008 02:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  02:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
One more kinda off topic question... is there a compiled repository/archive of these scrolls anywhere for more convenient one-shot downloading, or do I have to save these one page at a time?

Also, thanks for such a quick reply, THO.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 13 Dec 2008 03:00:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  03:25:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Edit: As for the revels, I'm sure Ed will say more, but in the meantime, could someone (The Sage? Wooly? Kuje?) provide links to Ed's two Realmslore web-columns that dealt with the courtiers and protocol of Court events in Cormyr? Please?
(I'll be . . . purrrr . . . very grateful.)

Of course, my Lady:- "State Visits to Cormyr (Part 1)" and "State Visits to Cormyr (Part 2)".

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  03:26:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

One more kinda off topic question... is there a compiled repository/archive of these scrolls anywhere for more convenient one-shot downloading, or do I have to save these one page at a time?
See the "So Saith Ed" link in my sig for the PDF and HTML archives of Ed's compiled replies.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  03:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Awesomesauce. Thanks muchly, Sage.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  18:17:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Being in the middle of the Cormyr novel (again), Alusair sounds like she takes after one of her ancestors - the warrior queen Espara of Esperin.

quote:

What was appropriate when she was the rebellious tomboy princess (wooing the young nobles to her side to win personal support from the younger generation, when their noble elders were often open detractors of the Obarskyrs) <snip>
Are you trying to say that she... Intercoursed... the nobility into submission?

There's a neat rick that none of the kings could have pulled off (except with the female nobles, which just pissed-off the males even more). Can you imagine what it was like when she held court? She probably had the 'best behaved' nobles in Cormyr's history! Every last one of them would have been afraid should would 'spill the beans' about their... errr... endowments... and ummmm.... prowess. She litarally had something over all of them.

For you ladies out there - losing one's honor is far less retched a fate then being 'put down' by a female. We could could be toilet-drinking drunkards living in a box and still hold our heads high, but heaven fore-fend a women 'belittle' our 'performance'. A man would rather lose a kingdom then be subject to that.

Also, THO mentions the novel Beyond the High Road in the same post as she talks about Alusair's nakedness... and that just sets me to immature giggles.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Dec 2008 18:19:07
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

For you ladies out there - losing one's honor is far less retched a fate then being 'put down' by a female. We could could be toilet-drinking drunkards living in a box and still hold our heads high, but heaven fore-fend a women 'belittle' our 'performance'. A man would rather lose a kingdom then be subject to that.

What what? I'm a man, and that's never been a concern of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  18:40:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nor mine, of course... it was more of an 'academic observation' from an outsider's POV.

Like you, I'm not worried about being labeled an 'Under-achiver'.

<see what I mean, ladies?>

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Dec 2008 18:40:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  19:48:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
LOL! I MUST get to meet more scribes in the flesh, so to speak.
Markustay, I was referring to something Ed has made clear in his novels and writings about Cormyr, and as DM of the home Realms campaign: that Alusair in her days of riding the northlands of Cormyr fighting monsters, brigands, and Zhents to keep the trade-routes safe and clear, rode them at the head of a band of young male nobles, who came to love and revere her as their leader, as well as love her in the physical sense.
In other words, by sheer force of personality and affection, demonstrating her loyalty to them and her fierce spirit (she was their leader, and wouldn't tolerate haughty backbiting nonsense from anyone), she "won them over" to loving and trusting her personally, even if they didn't think much of her father, and their own parents HATED Azoun and the Obarskyrs for many policies that had limited the powers (and curbed the prosperity) of the nobles.
So Azoun IV might be the scourge of noble and common bedchambers, envied by some, enjoyed by many women, and hated by more than a few noble husbands, but Alusair created a younger generation of nobles who liked and understood her, and therefore would understand any ruling Obarskyr far better than their parents had ever bothered to, and would be personally loyal to her as a friend and lover. She'd not only bedded them, she'd fought at their sides and saved the lives of some of them, and they all knew it and loved her for it - - so if she later showed up to dispute with them, as Regent or (as everyone expected she'd be, not foreseeing the Regency) some sort of Lady Marshal or other military commander for the realm, they'd find it impossible to sneer at or scorn her, and much harder to dismiss her, than they would any other Obarskyr or anyone else. Like real-world buddies who'd shared the same foxholes in battle, she was a trusted "brother" rather than a hated stranger.
Yes, I suppose she COULD have cowed some nobles by making public their tiny endowments or poor bed performances, but that's a weapon you can only use once. Far more effective was their friendship with her and feeling they could talk to her directly and bluntly whenever they felt the need to, rather than staring at "some royal idiot of a lass" they didn't know and didn't want to get to know, which is how most of them viewed Tanalasta.
(Ed and I have discussed this extensively, so I'm confident he'll back up my every word here.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000