Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
The Thayan enclaves were a 3e invention; all of the Volo's Guides were written under Second Edition, and so before the idea was created. You'd have to look in 3e sources (like the 3e Waterdeep, maybe) to find information on them.

That said, I disklike the concept of the enclaves. I don't use them in my games and know very little lore about them, so I can't be more specific. I would be curious to hear what Ed has to say about them, though.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:52:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
You don't like Thaymart?

They have great Red Tag sales.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  07:57:13  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd wrote a very interesting FR adventure for Dungeon in the last days of that mag which featured Armaros rather cleverly. Alas, it will never see the light of day.

-- George Krashos

There's no chance at all of that adventure seeing release in some form? Even as a free Web download? This seems like another instance of Wizards' apparent belief that the only thing better than lore unwritten is lore written and unpublished. Yes, I know that makes no sense whatsoever; I wasn't about to try to make sense of it. If anyone else wants to risk a brain explosion fathoming WotC's corporate policies, be my guest.

Anyway, back to our regulary-scheduled scroll...

Two questions for Ed and THO:
1. Has that aforementioned announcement from the East Coast been made yet, or are we still waiting for that one?
2. Has any progress toward publication been made by the Cormyr lineage, or is that NDA?

Thanks again!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  10:16:50  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

I've just been rereading bits and pieces of Silverfall and came across something I thought was quite curious...

Storm (on page 358 of Silverfall) says she's the weakest of the Chosen in the Art (by which I assume she means magic and spell casting)... I just went back and checked something and found that in 2nd Edition, Dove was only a 14th level Ranger, while Storm was a 22nd level bard. A 22nd level Bard would be far more powerful arcanely than a Ranger (who would have minimal divine spell casting capabilities depending on their wisdom).

When the Old Gray Box was published (and defining Art here as "arcane" magic), it would have been right according to published lore. Back in 1st Edition, bards cast druid spells, while rangers cast both magic-user (arcane) and druid spells. So Old Gray Box 11th level ranger Dove Falconhand could cast two first-level arcane spells a day, while Storm (a 7th level bard/7th level fighter/5th level thief) could cast no arcane spells at all. (Quilué had not yet been designed at the time; Steven Schend came up with "the seventh twist.")

Obviously, that was contradicted in the 2e Seven Sisters accessory. In that, Dove was a ranger 14/mage 9/thief 4, while Storm was a bard 22/mage 9/fighter 7/thief 5, both had a bunch of defined Chosen powers, and now bards suddenly cast wizard spells and rangers didn't.

My opinion is, then, that the difficulties result from, in your words, "the inadequacies of truly expressing characters using the Dungeons and Dragons class and level system". Compounded, most likely, by changes over time in both rules and in editorial decisions about how NPCs should be portrayed in D&D products.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:40:52  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have a few question for Ed, on the same subject, that I hope he can answer:

Did Ed have Tall Mouthers in his campaign, the 6 armed gorilla-like heads that mostly plague lands where halflings live? Is there any lost lore as to their creation? Were they originally created as an enemy of the halflings or did that come later and why?

I've searched all over and the only little bit of info I can find, besides what they look like, is that they are the closest thing the halflings have to a natural enemy and that as the halflings have spread north out of Luiren to the rest of Faerun, the tall mouthers have followed.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Atomo
Acolyte

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Atomo's Homepage Send Atomo a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

THO in garters... I just got my Christmas presnt early.

I bet she is even better without the garters...

Ahem... Well...

A question for Ed... Or for someone that knows the response (my "search-fu" skill in this forum is not yet well developed):

How a marriage is conducted by a priest of Selune? The ceremonial aspects I mean? Has something the same or similar function of wedding rings? Have some blessings a liturgical formula, repeating a pre-established quote? Is moonsalve used in some point or somewhat so? Is there a proper time to conduct the ceremony? I guess under the moonlight, but it is good have some extra informations.

Thanks for Ed (or for everyone that can point me where I find these informations). And Merry Gart... Err... Christmas for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  17:01:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
No, no youngling... it is always better with a tiny amount of clothing - You need some mystery to get the blood pumping.

I think Sune would be more about the Honeymoon.

quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

I've searched all over and the only little bit of info I can find, besides what they look like, is that they are the closest thing the halflings have to a natural enemy and that as the halflings have spread north out of Luiren to the rest of Faerun, the tall mouthers have followed.
Ed wrote the book on Halflings, literally.

Their natural enemies include Deep Glaurants, Feywings, Nightgleets, Rockfangs, and Seergar.

Of course, those are native to Mystara, and the tome I'm referring to is The Five Shires.

Still, I use it for my Luiren, because it's ED.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Dec 2008 16:48:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  03:44:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring Ed’s latest reply, fresh from reducing grown adults to tears at the Port Hope library, with a unabashedly sentimental Christmas story (Farley Mowat quote of the evening: “All right, I want to know who put apple juice in my whiskey!”).
As before, Ed has tackled divers questions.
First, this from Dalor Darden: “Question to the bearded one THO (small, sleepy pun):
If Ed could concentrate his efforts on a most desired area and publish a book concerning it; what area of the Forgotten Realms would he choose?”
Ed replies:

I hate having to choose just one place in the Realms, because even areas done before need updating (Waterdeep, the Dales), and some areas have never really been done properly (Silverymoon and Everlund, Cormyr, Sembia, Impiltur, the Tashalar, and many more).
Yet if it has to be just one, because we came close, piling up much lore and hearing much clamor for more: Cormyr. We need the Cormyr book.
THEN we need all the other places. Neverwinter, Chessenta, the Border Kingdoms finished, Rashemen, and so many, many more.

So saith Ed. Now to this, from gomez: “I just wonder what 'chic-ly patterned' means... (you'll have to show me that some time, THO)”
If ever we meet, I’ll do so happily. I meant black lace trim at the top, and a sort of “Victorian curving-threads fishnet” below that, framing a row of curved, almost-diamond-shaped “eyes” or “seashells” that runs down my inner thigh, and an identical row down my outer thigh. Running down to a sort of starburst over the outside of my ankle bone, on an otherwise dark “foot.”
However, mere words can’t do it justic, you’ll just have to look. And feel. With me inside them at the time. Feel free . . .
(I am.)
Ah, but I’m so BAD. I cut you off in mid-post. You had a question for Ed, too: “I was wondering what remains of Elminster's tower in 1479.”
Ashe Ravenheart helpfully posted: “I'll second this question. According to canon, it's blown into another plane in 1375 and the 4E books mention that El's living on a farm in 1479.
Is the tower gone for good? Or is it like the Tardis with a rebuilt chameleon chip?”
Ed replies:

Well “for good” is a long time, now, isn’t it? As Rose Tyler found out, a time or two . . .
Ahem. Realms, not the many worlds of The Doctor.
In 1479, Elminster’s Tower is gone from Shadowdale - - or is it? All that remains is a shallow, overgrown-with-grass depression, beside a still, black-waters pool. Except on some nights, when the tower silently reappears.
Those who’ve approached it at such times, however, report that they can step through it, into star-shot darkness and roiling starry mists, rather than encountering anything solid like a door with a handle, or walls . . .
(Obviously, this is some sort of magical illusion, but worked by whom? And why? Ah, future fiction MIGHT reveal more . . . but then again . . .

So saith Ed. Who then turns to this, from Jakk: “Two questions for Ed and THO:
1. Has that aforementioned announcement from the East Coast been made yet, or are we still waiting for that one?
2. Has any progress toward publication been made by the Cormyr lineage, or is that NDA?
Thanks again!”
Ed replies:
1. Not yet. Last-minute hitches, so probably early next year before anything public is heard.
2. Definitely NDA. Sorry.
(Hang in there; I don’t mind you asking, and the waiting is driving me nuts, too.)

So saith Ed. rjfras, he hasn’t replied to your Tall Mouther query yet, but I can tell you from playing experience that he definitely has at least one in his campaign!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  05:57:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Many thanks, milady. Both for the answers and the imagery. Just what was needed on a cold wintry night in Minnesota.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  09:04:14  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
More interesting info on the tower (and patterns) than I had hoped for...
Ah, I'll have to talk to my wife and convince her that I need to visit Gencon this year, so I can feel... ehm, I mean, play games. yes. And talk to Ed about Dalelands updates ;)

Btw, I never liked Rose Tyler much. I liked Martha even less. Now, Donna, on the other hand... that was a true companion.
And as for Jack Harkness... not very fit for a companion, but I forgive, since John Barrowman is hot and smoking. ;)

I'll see if I can get the tower information worked into the Dale1-4 adventure - it's too good a thing not to mention ;)
Go to Top of Page

Atomo
Acolyte

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  10:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Atomo's Homepage Send Atomo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I think Sune would be more about the Honeymoon.

I think Sharess would be more about the Honeymmon.

But the question is for a scene that will occur in the game... It is a complex story, but an ex-faithless and an ex-Sharran will marry with the bless of Selune. Very odd, I know, but as I said, very more complex than this
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  15:35:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you the latest words of Ed, this time in response to queries posed back in 2005 (and Ed adds: “Sorry, Sage, your associated earthquake query, posed immediately after these two, is still held up by two NDAs; I’ll get to it as soon as I can, but I may have to limit what I say”).
First, Wooly posted: “Today I'm curious about hurricanes in the Realms... I just came thru yet another one, and it got me to thinking about these storms in the Realms...
So, do parts of the Realms see hurricanes? What parts? How often? Do certain mages or priests get any kind of warning? Have been any particularly destructive ones?”
Kuje then added: “And if Ed wants, he could add tornados to that. :)”
Ed now replies:

To avoid NDAs, this answer applies to the Realms pre-Spellplague. Yes, the Realms see both hurricanes and tornadoes (and for that matter, earthquakes, too). Magical meddling can cause violent or unusual-for-that-vicinity weather anywhere, yes, and so can natural forces, but hurricanes are most prevalent lashing the southern shore of Chult (one of the reasons there are overland caravans at all between Var the Golden, Durpar, and Estagund, and the Tashalar and through it the wider Realms beyond, rather than putting it all aboard ships).
One of the reasons “the map ends” south of the Utter East (and south of the entire coast where Dambrath and Luiren) is that the seas there are so perilous because of hurricanes and waterspouts.
Tornadoes are most prevalent in the easternmost Shaar and in Raurin (as sandstorms, of course), and east of Elgarth (again, one of the reasons “the known Realms” ends where it does, from the viewpoint of dwellers in Faerûn).
You may have noticed this takes most of this violent weather conveniently offstage, out of the areas most Realms campaigns are set, most game products cover, and most Realms fiction. Well, that’s WHY this is the part of the Realms we know best.

So saith Ed. Who is busy with future Realms goodness for us all, but not (and never) forgetting scribes with needs to know!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  16:03:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Wow! My old hurricanes question! I'd not thought of that one in a long time!

My first thought on reading this was "Wow, that's an old question!". My second was "I went thru a hurricane in 2005?" I had to look online to see which one it was!

I can't say I've been thru a lot of hurricanes (and I'm quite happy with that factoid; I don't want to do any more of them!), but other than Hurricane Erin (my first hurricane, in 1995) and the ones in 2004, they all run together because they weren't all that noteworthy.

As always, I thank Ed for his answer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  17:33:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wonderful.

He just made my one and only CKC article make more sense (the whole thing starts with a terrible storm in the Sea between Faerûn and Zakhara). Thanks for that, Ed (and THO).

You also just gave me some ideas for that belt of land between Zakhara and the Utter East - the one for some strange reason no-one ever bothers sending caravans across.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2008 06:25:26
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  22:12:24  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Scrolls shared, scribes:

Ed
A question to piggyback off Markustay's question from long ago.
Do you have a map of prevalent wind and hot/cold ocean currents
so that weather patterns for local areas are available?

Also, have the baelnorn and elf wizards mentioned in VGTtD in Archendale (in the Sword and under and the picnic spot) and in Deepingdale done anything since the return of the elves to Myth Drannor?

THO spread out over all of us, man, think of the frequent flyer miles she would garner.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  23:59:59  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
:Once again Createvmind begins combining hoses as he likely will have much ground to cover in hosing down his fellow hot-blooded scribes. Frequent flyer miles indeed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  00:03:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. I bring you the latest words of Ed, this time in response to queries posed back in 2005 (and Ed adds: “Sorry, Sage, your associated earthquake query, posed immediately after these two, is still held up by two NDAs; I’ll get to it as soon as I can, but I may have to limit what I say”).
No worries Ed. I know it'll be worth the wait, regardless.

Anyways, it's kinda neat to see one of my old questions finally get some attention.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  00:11:58  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Uh oh.
*dives for foxhole to put on rain gear and to put up
wall of force*
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  00:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
Ed, when did the legendary sea explorer Balduran set sail in search of Anchorome? (We know only from Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate that it was "long ago.") When did he return from the New World and fund the building of the city wall for Baldur's Gate? Can you tell us anything about Balduran?

If I may, some info on the subject to take into account:

* From Calimport
quote:
-16 Year of the Poisoned Pens

The Plague of Scholars (Plague): All cities across southern Faerûn, as far north as Baldur's Gate; lethargy and heavy sleep leads to coma and death, some unknown agency poisoned vast amounts of ink and quills used by scribes, scholars, and business folk; 20% (11%).

* As you have shared with us some years ago, in 227 DR Orluth Tshahvur built a keep "among a nameless cluster of fishing huts" on the inlet where the River Chionthor empties into the sea, founding the shortlived kingdom of Shavinar. By 277 DR the fledgling kingdom is overrun by trolls and countless other monsters.

* Given Anchorome's proximity to Evermeet (455 miles to the west per the FRIA) would not rumors of it have long existed in Faerun? Evermeet was founded in -24,000 DR. Elves established their first settlements in Faerun in -17,800 DR. One would think then that fables in Faerun of this exotic far off land beyond even the Trackless Sea should have been very ancient, even if regarded as fanciful.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  06:36:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My personal take is that the map only shows the approximate location of Evermeet, since the island is hidden by powerful magics, creating illsions, fog, and teleporting ships elsewhere.

Ergo, ships sailing 'toward it' might not really be heading the right way at all, and only Elves would know the secret of sailing to the correct region (which could also involve very subtle teleportation, so that people not in the know would think they are somewhere else entirely).

I always had that feeling that Evermeet's location was just an approximation, and then some 'weirdness' in the 4e Returned Abeir lore indicates it's off the coast of Maztica, not Anchorome, which lends some credence to my musings (not that that's what the designers had in mind when they wrote that... but it helps me to sleep at night).

Another thing to note is that the world used to be bigger, before the maps were 'shrunkified'. Of course, the FRIA should be using the original distances... which means matters are even worse now.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2008 06:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  06:42:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
I, too, am interested in Lemernis' topic; the founding date of Baldur's Gate (among other major cities of Faerun) is the subject of one of my questions-in-waiting, if I recall correctly. From the dates given for Shavinar, as cited by Lemernis, we know it must be after 277 DR, and likely after 300 DR. Beyond that, I will wait for the final word to come down from the Author of the Realms, unless another scribe has a published date that we have missed.

Edit: To Markustay: If it makes your head hurt, ignore it. Life is much easier that way. I'll ask the question I have about your maps in a more appropriate scroll.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 08 Dec 2008 06:46:25
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

:Once again Createvmind begins combining hoses as he likely will have much ground to cover in hosing down his fellow hot-blooded scribes. Frequent flyer miles indeed.

You're opening a can of wyrms there, createvmind.

Last time it went on for... like... two pages.

Markustay, I'm OCD, so I can see how this stuff bothers you. When I was younger, cartoons upset me because they often have contradictory story arcs. Maps are even worse, though I often tell myself that maps are drawn "in-universe," and may not necessarily represent the lay of the land. Ergo, I think the approximation idea is the best so far. Spellplague was bad, but I don't see it actually moving an island. The magic protecting it, however...

All the best

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  19:18:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Right - the island was always elsewhere, and the map location could have even been a bit of subterfuge by the Elves themslves. Now that the Weave is gone and magic went ka-blooey (not to mention Evermeet 'copied' itself and now exists on two planes at once), it's easy to surmise that the "off the coast of Maztica" blurb in the FRCG is the precise location, now that the 'cloaking magics' have come down.

And I have the same problem with cartoons and what-not; inconsistency drives me up the wall (something I think many FR fans have in common).

Sorry for the side-discussion Mods, but it was somewhat related to the question.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Dec 2008 19:20:25
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  19:24:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

* Given Anchorome's proximity to Evermeet (455 miles to the west per the FRIA) would not rumors of it have long existed in Faerun? Evermeet was founded in -24,000 DR. Elves established their first settlements in Faerun in -17,800 DR. One would think then that fables in Faerun of this exotic far off land beyond even the Trackless Sea should have been very ancient, even if regarded as fanciful.

[Tangent]
-Evermeet was created back then, yes, but it wasn't settled until much later. That there were native, indigenous Elves on Evermeet, as well as Elves in northern Maztica (similar in temperament, in the isolationist sort of Wood Elf type) creates linkage for the two.
[/Tangent]

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  06:45:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
More tangent...

Besides... since when are Elves forthcoming with any knowledge? They just strike me as the type to keep anything 'juicy' to themselves (especially concerning a primitive continent un-polluted by humans).

I think the very last thing the Elves would want is a bunch of human ships plying the ocean... and sailing dangerously close to their shores. Heck, the Elves of Evermeet didn't even tell anyone about Evermeet...

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Dec 2008 06:47:42
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  11:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

More tangent...

Besides... since when are Elves forthcoming with any knowledge? They just strike me as the type to keep anything 'juicy' to themselves (especially concerning a primitive continent un-polluted by humans).

I think the very last thing the Elves would want is a bunch of human ships plying the ocean... and sailing dangerously close to their shores. Heck, the Elves of Evermeet didn't even tell anyone about Evermeet...

Yeah, I agree that if Evermeet is indeed located where FRIA says, and is cloaked and whatnot to hide it, the island would still be directly on the path of traffic to the New World; and then it does stand to reason that elves wouldn't want to risk discovery of the location of their home. Indeed, they'd want to discourage such traffic. In fact, that could be the genesis of a deliberate deception perpetrated by the elves. Their ancient mariners might have deliberately spread tales in Faerun that if one sails far enough to the west one would literally fall of the edge of the ocean, told legends of sea monsters swallowing ships whole in those waters, and so on.

But as far as keeping secrets go, that's a pretty hard one to keep. Among any civilization (especially one so longlived as the elves) there's always bound to be some rogues, independent minded scholars, egomaniacs, and so forth, who will behave selfishly, impulsively, etc., and not in the ultimate interest of elvenkind.

Anyway, I look forward to Ed's answer on this.

Edited by - Lemernis on 09 Dec 2008 12:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
I had asked a similar question a while back and got this quote (not from Ed but other knowledgeable scholars here at the keep).

quote:
Originally found in Maztica Alive page 47
The route between Helmsport and Murann now sees several dozen voyages a year.

Cordell and the Golden Legion made this crossing in some forty days, which is about typical for the Sword Coast to Maztica route. It takes about sixty days to sail back, due to the easterly current. A northerly route of return can save fifteen days on this trip, but requires sailing dangerously close to the random teleporters surrounding Evermeet; most sailors prefer to invest the extra fifteen days to insure a safer passage.

Also if I remember correctly and I don't know where for the life of me I read this but I think the wind and sea currents travel circularly on the Trackless Sea. If you start on the Sword Coast they move down towards the Shining Sea and then head west towards Maztica then up Anchorome back east towards Icewind Dale and Neverwinter, starting all over again. If this is true it would make sense and fit with the above quote. I just can't remember where I would have read it.

I hope this helps for the time being. And I hope I'm not spouting made up stuff.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:42:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Gelcur, you're absolutely correct when it comes to the ocean currents (Ed confirms).
althen artren, Ed DOES have wind and current maps, but they are NDA because they were turned over to TSR (for the late, lamented Karen Wynn Fonstad to use, when doing her FR Atlas) and therefore are the property of the publisher; Ed can't freel distribute them.
Ed is frantically busy right now, BTW, but hopes to have another lore reply for us all by Wednesday night.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Cato the Elder
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Cato the Elder's Homepage Send Cato the Elder a Private Message
Ave, everyone.

Something that's been on my mind for quite some time is how mining, especially mining for precious metals and gemstones, is done in the Realms. Ed, how are minerals like gold, silver and gemstones taken out of the ground (specifically, human communities in the North)?

Moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:53:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Map in the Maztica boxed set show the circular currents, and garbage thrown into the ocean in Maztica could eventually wind up washing ashore in Waterdeep (it actually says something to that effect somewhere).

Those maps were some of the most 'artistic' ever produced for the Realms - just one more reason why it's such a shame Maztica is gone.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000