Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2008 :  23:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Yes, I suppose she COULD have cowed some nobles by making public their tiny endowments or poor bed performances, but that's a weapon you can only use once.

Once, on one noble. Because after that, she would have effectively destroyed everything she had worked to achieve to that point. No one would ever trust her again.

Also, there are bound to be one or two noble men that Alusair has failed to win over through sleeping with them (and cases where it backfired on her). Would that be a correct guess?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  02:08:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, a correct guess, and I also agree with you on that "once, on one noble."
That sort of 'attack' isn't in Alusair's nature, I think. If she lost her temper utterly, she might let slip something that would have the equivalent effect, but I don't think she's deliberately behave like that.
And by the time she's the Steel Regent, she's had so much practice at self-control that even when her temper's gone, her reins over what words tumble out aren't.
At least, that's the way Ed plays her.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  16:05:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay, I was looking at that from a more one-sided point-of-view. Not having fought alongside anyone in combat (except, perhaps, for a few donnybrooks as a lad), I hadn't taken into consideration THAT aspect of her relationship with them.

On a more serious note... are the Obaskyrs cursed?

Just finishing the Cormyr novel (again), and it strkes me odd that the Royals are the one family that is not hugely extended. Every time the novel gets into this or that noble family line, it seems like they all (with the possible exception of the Wyvernspurs) have HUNDREDS of people bearing the name and able to carry on despite any personal disasters.

To be perfectly honest, it just doesn't make sense to me that the Obarskyrs came down to just Alusair and Tanalasta. For example; my father was the only boy of four kids, and his father was worried about carrying on 'the family name'. My dad had my brother and I (and my two sisters). My brother had 5 kids, two of them boys, and I myself had 4 boys. My brother already has three Grandkids, one by his son, and with six sons between us there's plenty of potential there for a dozen boys in the next 'round'. A famous example would be Ramses II, who had 21 children by the time he was 21! Most Royals go out-of-there way to produce heirs.

My point is that with each generation, a family grows exponentially - in theory, there should be thousands of Obarskyrs by now!

What the heck happened?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Dec 2008 21:39:05
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  16:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah, now, but wait a moment, Markustay. In our real world, many, many families DIE OUT over time, rather than "increasing exponentially." Illnesses, accidental deaths, wars, members just not having children - - all sorts of reasons.
And the Obarskyrs DO face all sorts of reasons.
We probably won't know all of them until the Royal Lineage finally does get revealed, but they need not include a curse.
Though, come to think of it, a curse would make for a really cool story or two. Imagine an Ed novel where the curse is recognized and then the characters set out to try to end it ...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  17:03:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Well, I kinda have to be with Mark on this one! Royal families usually go to extreme lengths to ensure a male heir, or at least a few heirs of acceptable measure in a fantasy setting (where females and males can be equal for the throne).

I mean, Azoun would (you would think) even have several bastards here and there. I'm a little confused at least.

I know that there are a few families related to the Royals; but I thought those were now distantly related by time.

I guess the Royals could have a LOT of girls that have married off to other families...but it does seem odd that they seem to have so few related close families of younger sons that never took the throne...

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ah, now, but wait a moment, Markustay. In our real world, many, many families DIE OUT over time, rather than "increasing exponentially." Illnesses, accidental deaths, wars, members just not having children - - all sorts of reasons.
And the Obarskyrs DO face all sorts of reasons.
We probably won't know all of them until the Royal Lineage finally does get revealed, but they need not include a curse.
Though, come to think of it, a curse would make for a really cool story or two. Imagine an Ed novel where the curse is recognized and then the characters set out to try to end it ...
BB

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Taking a moment from my writing (two projects at the moment, hence my continued silence here at the 'Keep; will be back soon, all!), to respond to the recent questions regarding the Obarskyr line.

The House Obarskyr is not, as such, cursed. It might look that way, though, particularly if one looks at the record of births and deaths. They're normally a fertile lot, but treason, illness, murder, infighting, lack of desire for children or access to a suitable mate, all combined with the propensity of the royal family to (ahem) spread the wealth around, has led to some interesting developments over the years.

All the rest of it, well, you know the drill.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  20:07:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

<snip>I mean, Azoun would (you would think) even have several bastards here and there. I'm a little confused at least.</snip>

Yes, more than a few... I believe it was stated by THO (from Ed) earlier in this scroll that there are over a hundred bastards of Azoun IV around the Forest Kingdom... and that Vangey (and, one would assume, Caladnei after him) knows who (and where) each and every one of them are.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

<snip>I know that there are a few families related to the Royals; but I thought those were now distantly related by time.</snip>

Not really... many royal brides are chosen from those same families (the Crownsilver, Huntsilver, and Truesilver families in particular; check out the genealogy fragment in the Old Grey Box, if you have it, and note that the dates are in Cormyr Reckoning; that tripped me up earlier too). So yes, it's mild inbreeding over the centuries, but they wouldn't be nobles/royals if they didn't engage in such behaviour, would they?

If there's any more that can be added to this without going where None Dare Adventure, I'm sure Garen or THO will let us know.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Dec 2008 20:17:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  21:50:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I realize that in the case of nobility - most especially the royals- that there would be a lot of 'accidental' deaths and what-not. But what of Uncles? Do the Obarskyr only believe in producing a single male heir?

In the case of the regency of Salember, we have King Azoun III dying and leaving his brother in charge, but then he wouldn't willingly relinquish the the throne to Rheigaerd (Azoun IV's father). Is THAT the problem? When you have more then one heir, younger sons are likely to try and take the throne when their older siblings die?

Or perhaps even help those deaths along a little?

Seriously, being a royal must be a pain in the butt. You can't help but look at your older brother and think all that stands between a Kingship and provincial appointment is a good push down a flight of stairs.

Maybe the Obarskyrs have learned NOT to over-produce heirs, which causes so many problems in other kingdoms.

Or maybe keeping the Blue Lady around IS the curse, instead of the other way around.

And while I'm posting, I just gotta ask - "Whatever happened to Jorunhast?"

I'm not really expecting an answer to that one, but I figured I 'd ask.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Dec 2008 21:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  21:55:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

He's a Dukar in Serôs. See The Sea of Fallen Stars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

I realize that in the case of nobility - most especially the royals- that there would be a lot of 'accidental' deaths and what-not. But what of Uncles? Do the Obarskyr only believe in producing a single male heir?

They can try and try and try to have sons, but if nature is not cooperating all they'll have is daughters. Magical measures of forcing a gender on a fetus probably run the risk of the child ending up intersexed or transgender... though I'm sure it is possible, and I'm sure someone'll say "it's magic, it can do this perfectly".

I personally think that the Royal Family of Cormyr would avoid using such measures, because if they did it too often other nobles might start pointing fingers at the Royal Family of somehow "cheating" to keep their "obviously corrupt, decadent, and obviously dying (or else why resort to such measures)" dynasty going.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  22:59:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
As for uncles, well there is Baron Thomdar, who is Azoun IV's cousin. :) So yeah, there is canon material about at least one of the uncles in the family.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  23:37:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Jorunhast's fate was revealed in Sea of Fallen Stars.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  23:42:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Echo... echo... echo...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  00:03:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. My post looks better!

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  02:52:01  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
quote:

Just finishing the Cormyr novel (again), and it strkes me odd that the Royals are the one family that is not hugely extended. Every time the novel gets into this or that noble family line, it seems like they all (with the possible exception of the Wyvernspurs) have HUNDREDS of people bearing the name and able to carry on despite any personal disasters.

Well, the question really is, how distant from the direct line can you get before the distance is too much to sustain a succession against a bunch of nobles who see no reason why the Obarskyrs should be in charge anymore?

Going on the Cyclopedia of the Realms data (and assuming that's complete)

Azoun IV had a sister; she apparently died at age 29 without issue, so there are no first cousins of Foril, Tanalasta, or Alusair to succeed.

Rhigaerd II apparently had no siblings, so there are no first cousins of Azoun IV/second cousins of Foril/Tanalasta/Alusair.

Azoun III's sibilings were Salember (no legitimate children, and even if there were their father's treason would make their claim questionable) and Lhannas (died at age 22 without legitimate issue). So there are no second cousins of Azoun IV or third cousins of Foril/Tanalasta/Alusair.

Palaghard II, now, had three siblings. One died at age nine (no issue), one died at age 27 (no issue listed), and one was the ancestor of Azoun IV's third cousins Bhereu and Thomdor . . . who were, of course, killed in the Abraxus affair.

Dhalmass is not shown as having any siblings, so that would make the next legitimate claimant, after Bhereu/Thomdor, somebody approximately the fifth cousin of Azoun IV. There might be hundreds of fifth-cousin Obarskyrs, and thousands further distant . . . but they probably are interbred with the existing noble families to a degree that they are considered members of those families. Which means that there would be a disputed succession as every noble house trots out their "fifth cousin by legitimate descent, and bastard son of Azoun IV, and our family deserves the crown because of X" claimant.

Edited by - see on 15 Dec 2008 06:32:47
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
VERY nicely put, see.
Yep, I think that describes the can of worms perfectly.
And I trust Ed and Garen and Grant Christie and Eric Boyd and George Krashos and Tom Costa and everyone else who's had a hand in that Royal Libeage work (I may be forgetting some folks, but it's been a long time now since that GenCon seminar) have thought all this through.
So that the "No Obarskyr to succeed?" crisis Ed and Jeff Grubb hinted at in CORMYR: A NOVEL and that continued in the rest of the Cormyr saga really IS a crisis.
By Azuth, Mystra, and the other Snatched-Away Gods, I want to see that Lineage document!!!!!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  04:56:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Doesn't really answer my question, though.

I'm well-aware that many of the Royals would have married into other houses over the years, but shouldn't the males have kept their names? Unless 'lesser siblings' are in the habit of taking on their wife's name when they marry into another noble family, there should be a least a few Obarskyrs running around Cormyr, no matter how distantly related.

My question wasn't so much about succession, but rather about the name itself. At the time of Azoun IV's death, only two people on Toril were born with the name Obarskyr?

Hell, I would think there would be a least one peasant somewhere with the name...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Echo... echo... echo...

LOL - thats probably the LAST place I would have thought to look for him.

Thanks for the amswer, BTW. I'm not a big fan of Seros, but its still good to know what happened to him.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Dec 2008 16:50:31
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  05:17:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-This is, what, the second question this year? Geeze, I'm getting greedy.

-This one deals with a subject that is probably near and dear to Ed's heart- Libraries and librarians. Specifically, Elven libraries and librarians. Super specifically, Everaer Sun Elven libraries and librarians, if it makes any difference. What would such librarians be called, in Elven? Because of their extreme lifespans, and attention to detail, I am sure that Elven librarians have some pretty interesting storytelling traditions. Is there anything specific to them that wouldn't be found by sticking pointy ears on Human librarians and calling it a day? A great deal of thanks in advance, as always.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Edit: Rino, Ed says you're very welcome. Any similar topics you'd like to hear more about?

*grins* Hmm, I have to admit, I was wondering what Alusair's motivation would be for attending a revel mostly nude? Just for fun?

Thanks in advance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Dec 2008 15:17:51
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
A famous example would be Ramses II, who had 21 children by the time he was 21! Most Royals go out-of-there way to produce heirs.

That's not hard to do if you are male and especially a ruler, who can support many wives and concubines.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  17:10:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well... that goes without saying.

I'm just wondering why none of the Obarskyr's pulled a 'King Henry VIII", when his wife wasn't pumping out boys. It's not like they were all saints.

Another point, now that I think about it. Shouldn't there be Obarskyrs in Impiltur? While it is true that Suzara most likely took her second husband's surname and could have changed her remaining son's name to suit, shouldn't there have been other Obarskyrs in Impiltur before this time? Was Ondeth the last of his line?

I realize that this may be treading extremely close to the Cormyrite Lineage NDA, but I'm really NOT concerned AT ALL with the Royals... just the name itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-This one deals with a subject that is probably near and dear to Ed's heart- Libraries and librarians. Specifically, Elven libraries and librarians. Super specifically, Everaer Sun Elven libraries and librarians, if it makes any difference. What would such librarians be called, in Elven? Because of their extreme lifespans, and attention to detail, I am sure that Elven librarians have some pretty interesting storytelling traditions. Is there anything specific to them that wouldn't be found by sticking pointy ears on Human librarians and calling it a day? A great deal of thanks in advance, as always.
Thats easy... they use the Durothil Decimal System.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Dec 2008 17:10:45
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  17:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Ed, I asked this in another thread, but Kuje suggested I ask ye (blame him):

For elves in the realms is there a time beyond which they can no longer conceive? Do elven women go through an 'elven menopause' and if so how late in their lives?

Edited by - Na-Gang on 15 Dec 2008 17:21:23
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  17:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Ahem.

All these issues with the family Obarskyr--including a bit about the family name--are covered in the Lineage. We made sure to cover it, and then cover it again.

I can't answer many specifics, and I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about the Royal Lineage (we're already venturing far off the "Ask Ed Stuff" theme), except to directly answer a direct question.

At the end of Death of the Dragon, the are exactly two known legitimate descendants of Faerlthann First-King (and thus direct claimants to the Dragon Throne): Alusair and Azoun V. That's it. Nobody else. No twenty-first cousins married off into the Cormaeril clan, who are just as legitimate but have a different surname.

This doesn't cover illegitimate descendants (which are numerous), or unknown or lost lines of the House Obarskyr (which are perfectly possible). It just means the "people we can place in the order of succession" list is unbelievably short.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  21:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Edit: Rino, Ed says you're very welcome. Any similar topics you'd like to hear more about?

*grins* Hmm, I have to admit, I was wondering what Alusair's motivation would be for attending a revel mostly nude? Just for fun?

Thanks in advance.

"Just for fun" would be my answer... assuming I were attending any revels anytime soon. Anyone throwing any? Feel free to send me an invite.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  23:37:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I can't answer many specifics, and I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about the Royal Lineage (we're already venturing far off the "Ask Ed Stuff" theme), except to directly answer a direct question.
Agreed.

Folks, while I do find this side-discussion fascinating, it is kind of distracting from the original purpose of this scroll.

I'd recommend participating scribes take it to another scroll, if you're all intending on discussing it further.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  11:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
I'm just wondering why none of the Obarskyr's pulled a 'King Henry VIII", when his wife wasn't pumping out boys. It's not like they were all saints.

Henry, unfortunately, didn't realize that it was his own fault he wasn't having sons... And before we derail any further - this kind of spun out into a question for me...

Henry didn't know, and in fact medicine/science of the day, unless I'm very much mistaken, wouldn't have known either... But do Realmsian people know that it is the male contribution that determines gender in a child? (For that matter, does human biology roughly work the same way in the Realms?)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Edited by - Zandilar on 16 Dec 2008 11:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:22:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
A question for Ed to put on the growing pile.

In 1372 DR, who was the richest merchant in Aglarond? What did he deal in? What was her relation to the Simbul and the royal court? to foreign powers?

And that will have to do for now. Thank you in advance (no matter how long an advance it turns out to be

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:10:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
I bring you the latest words of Ed (who was up late last night, attending a reception for his new Tor editor, the veteran David Hartwell, and a birthday bash for Canadian sf writer Robert Charles Wilson, hosted by Canadian sf great Robert Sawyer and his wife, Carolyn Clink; a good time was had by all, and watch for Rob’s novel FLASHFORWARD on television as a series, to replace LOST when that series ends), this time in response to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, re. this: “*grins* Hmm, I have to admit, I was wondering what Alusair's motivation would be for attending a revel mostly nude? Just for fun? Thanks in advance.”
Ed replies:

For fun, yes, but not JUST for fun. Alusair hasn’t done it often, and has enjoyed doing it (so, yes, there’s the fun), but she has always done it to achieve something as well. Either to: set younger attendees at their ease in participating in a ribald tone for the evening; scandalize certain persons into saying something intemperate or even departing the revelry; or to send a message to a visiting envoy about personal freedoms in Cormyr, or the power even royal princesses have, as women, to do what THEY want, and not what others (such as their parents) might deem “appropriate” in more repressive societies (particularly when Filfaeril calmly backs Alusair up in her fashion decision of the evening). There’s a certain amount of twitting the older nobles and noble wannabes and thrusting into their faces what the younger generation is capable of, and a certain amount of “I’m a princess, and I do what *I* want, not what you the public expect of me.” As I said, she doesn’t do it often, and almost always wears SOMETHING (such as a tie or sash, or ornate cuffs, or a tiara, or even body jewelry) with her boots. Adornment, but nothing that covers her “naughty bits,” to signal that she’s DRESSED deliberately for the occasion, not merely undressed and uncaring.
And yes, on at least one occasion, this was a deliberate signal by her to “her lads” (the young male nobles she rode in arms with, in the northlands of the realm) that it was orgy time. Which caused some older noble matrons to flee shrieking - - and caused some to feign “being caught,” and enthusiastically joining in the fun. While some husbands fumed, many fetched drinks and stood or sat watching, and others participated with glee.
And I might add for everyone a reminder: the Realms are NOT our world, and our morals (and moral judgments) should not directly apply. Our moral stances should INFORM us, yes, which is why I’ve never written fictional scenes describing (even sketchily, using a comedic approach rather than detailed sexual descriptions) such revels; I don’t feel the need to thrust this behaviour into the faces of Realms fans or casual readers who might not approve of (or want their children to read).
My players know, because we’re all adults and long-term friends and players together who merely accept such things and look for every roleplaying advantage (one may even argue: what’s more immoral: a little lovemaking in public, or walking up to strange animals and butchering them?) Rino asked, so I explained.
Please note also: in real life, most of us look better with our clothes ON. This is a tactic only for the fortunate few. If used in the wrong situation or at the wrong time, it will almost certainly backfire. And as Markustay recently commented in this thread, SOME clothing usually enhances the allure, not diminishes it.
Geez, Rino, I’m wordy. Pray accept my apologies; I do run on at the mouth.

So saith Ed. Who has a very talented mouth (his wife tells me, she added hastily), so complaints are few.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Geez, THO, how does one follow THAT last little comment?

All I wanted to do was ask Ed if he's contemplated doing any more collaborations, with Robert Sawyer or anyone else? And while he's at it, if he can tell us anything more about any forthcoming fiction projects, of any sort, he's involved in?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:08:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Broken Helm, * I * always follow it with: "Now that we've warmed up . . ."
Ahem.
Hello again, all. I bring ye all the latest words of Ed, who is delighted by The Sage’s recent question about Realms tales that parents tell to children, and promises an answer as soon as he has time to give a good one (he’s MADLY busy again, right now). This time he responds to a question from Na-Gang: “Ed, I asked this in another thread, but Kuje suggested I ask ye (blame him):
For elves in the realms is there a time beyond which they can no longer conceive? Do elven women go through an 'elven menopause' and if so how late in their lives?”
Ed replies:

SOME elves become infertile, and others don’t, and no one knows why (it’s probably genetic, but on a family level, not racial). Some may get restless and shift character late in life, and this may well be linked to their internal biological change - - but said change is not a “hot flashes” and ends of menses matter like human menopause. It’s literally that eggs cease to become receptive to fertilization (unless rather vigorous magical intervention is applied, which would only happen in extraordinary circumstances, to keep a family line from dying out). Ironically, one of the known causes of early-onset elven infertility for both genders is overmuch exposure to certain sorts of magic (“exposure” as in receiving as a target, not casting), or combinations of spells (getting hit hard [high damage] by a particular lightning spell while under the effects of a spell that affects the properties of the target body [such as water breathing or levitation]).
I don’t mean that an elf struck by such magic is instantly rendered infertile; I mean that repeated instances of exposure, over centuries, lessens fertility imperceptibly until the elf in question becomes infertile under normal circumstances, without knowing it (either the sperm can’t fertilize any egg, or the egg can’t be fertilized by any sperm).
There are exceptions; some magical combinations, or repeated or long term exposure to nodes of magical radiation, can INCREASE fertility.
This is not something elves tend to discuss publicly, so knowledge of this outside individual elven families, except elven elders, is going to be extremely limited. Humans, dwarves, and Halflings aren’t going to “know” that there’s any such thing as elven menopause, even if they do happen to know that a particular female elf “seems to be barren.”

So saith Ed. Who has not become romantically involved with any elderly elf females, so far as I know (though these veteran game designers do undertake research in sometimes-surprising depth).
From this reply, I think we can infer that according to Ed genetics work in similar, if not identical, ways in the Realms and our own world, Zandilar - - but of course Ed should tell you so better than I could. I'll nudge him, given how closely related your query is to this one from Na-Gang he's just answered here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000