Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  07:07:14  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but a lot of DMs have a problem getting dates.

I'm sure THO can gives all a hand with that.

I think most DMs use their own hands for that
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  12:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Darkhund
Excluding the sorcerer stuff for a minute, has Storm ever been seen to CAST a bardic spell? I think, that despite being in the Class, she may not have/use the spells it grants, while utilizing the other abilities it has.

I am fairly confident that I've read about Storm casting spells (if not in Silverfall itself, then certainly in Stormlight), but it's pretty late here, so I am not about to start pulling out books to check if I'm right.

The Seven Sisters and the rest of the Chosen of Mystra often exhibit abilities (almost always spell casting) in novels and short stories that go way way WAY above and beyond what they're shown to be capable of in their stats. For example, in Silverfall we see Qilue casting lightning bolts despite being "merely" a 16th level Cleric... According to what I remember from the Seven Sisters supplement, the at will (3rd level spell) ability she has from being a Chosen is dispel magic.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  17:55:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, but Chosen can call on the Weave to "twist" one memorized spell of a greater power into another magic of a lesser (at least two levels less, if I remember correctly without consulting Ed).
Remember, Ed had quite specific powers for the Chosen that have nothing at all to do with templates/paths/kits/prestige classes written for "Chosen" by other designers.

George, Ed can't answer your Hesperdan question here and now because it's (yes) NDA.
However, it is NDA because he has written a lengthy and entertaining answer that its scheduled to be published in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  18:42:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, Zandilar, about the relative magical "power" of Storm, my understanding is that Dove has far less actual power, but that because of this, she was instructed over the years by Mystra, Azuth, and various servitors of Mystra (including senior Chosen such as El and Khelben) in ways of accessing the Weave to accomplish magical effects.
Storm, who has been far more interested in people (and music, and politics through gently "steering" people behind the scenes) has used her magic but little. She meant "weakest" as in "least experienced, remembers the least, has picked up the knacks of properly using and controlling magic the least."
(This comes from years of idle chatter with Ed about such things, and inferences from how he portrayed Dove and Storm during play, as DM.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  19:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Excluding the sorcerer stuff for a minute, has Storm ever been seen to CAST a bardic spell? I think, that despite being in the Class, she may not have/use the spells it grants, while utilizing the other abilities it has.
There's a confusion in that the bard class can represent both a roguish jack-of-all-trades with some Art (which Storm's 3E sorcerer levels may have been intended to represent) and a practitioner of a special kind of musical magic (related to spellsinging, and which Ed described earlier this year).
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ah, but Chosen can call on the Weave to "twist" one memorized spell of a greater power into another magic of a lesser (at least two levels less, if I remember correctly without consulting Ed).
Or she may just have been casting unpublished priestly spells that resemble wizardly lightning bolts, or using 'metamagic' to repurpose spell slots.

Indeed, I think the Realms term for 'metamagic' is just 'Art', and the spell-alterations represented by various spells, feats and special abilities are part of what every skilled mage does.

Edited by - Faraer on 28 Nov 2008 19:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  22:19:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Hopefully I can get fast answer for this (not that I'm trying to 'push' my way to the front), because I'm re-touching my Returned Abeir Map and wanted placements for a couple of things.

In Eskorn, both the Dawn Titan's Spire and Savanfast are metioned in text, but neither was placed on the Map. I had thought to come up with my own locations, but I'd rather go with something somewhat more official, if possible.

Thanks --- Mark

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Dating helps DMs endlessly.

Yeah, but a lot of DMs have a problem getting dates.

THAT was REALLY good.

Another CK2.0 request - we need a 'Rimshot' smiley.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2008 15:10:40
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  23:01:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

George, Ed can't answer your Hesperdan question here and now because it's (yes) NDA.
However, it is NDA because he has written a lengthy and entertaining answer that its scheduled to be published in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO

I expected as much but thank you for your prompt response. As also expected, you've whetted my appetite for more.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  23:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:

I am fairly confident that I've read about Storm casting spells (if not in Silverfall itself, then certainly in Stormlight), but it's pretty late here, so I am not about to start pulling out books to check if I'm right.

The Seven Sisters and the rest of the Chosen of Mystra often exhibit abilities (almost always spell casting) in novels and short stories that go way way WAY above and beyond what they're shown to be capable of in their stats. For example, in Silverfall we see Qilue casting lightning bolts despite being "merely" a 16th level Cleric... According to what I remember from the Seven Sisters supplement, the at will (3rd level spell) ability she has from being a Chosen is dispel magic.

I just seem to recall in...it could be one of the Shandril Saga books, Elminster gave her a spell to cast on Manshoon, and the reactions just seemed to me to not fit a spellcaster at all.
Go to Top of Page

Lund
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Lund's Homepage Send Lund a Private Message
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this, and if it isn't I apologize. I also did a forum search for Karsus and considering the search doesn't seem to jump the exact post and that many of the threads that came up were nearly a hundred pages long... I apologize for not looking elsewhere.

What is the cannon story/tale of Karsus and his life, and can it be found somewhere (Novel, Source Book, etc.)? Is there anything more planned to be written about him?

I realize that the question seems to denote a long answer, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if there is a compiled assortment somewhere that details all of the information regarding Karsus and maybe a bit more in depth into Ancient Netheril or not. Grand History doesn't seem to give us much information about his activities other than his birth, practice of heavy magic, and Folly.

The character has always greatly interested me and I haven't looked much into ancient lore of Faerun until recently, thus I was disappointed when I found that there wasn't very much info on him.

Thanks all for any answers/help! I love the work you guys (and gals) do here!

Let us all be brave enough to die the death of a martyr, but let no one lust for martyrdom.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  00:23:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
so most esteemed THO, was that announcement made yet?

and when is Eds book do out???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  02:29:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, sfdragon. No, no announcement yet. As I said, the lawyers have gotten into the act, and that inevitably means a delay.
As for Ed's book: which one? The first two of his "this fall" novels (DARK VENGEANCE from Tor, the second Niflheim "dark elf not drow" novel, and THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS, the third Knights of Myth Drannor book) have been published. ARCH WIZARD from Solaris, the second book in Ed's Falconfar trilogy, is finished, submitted, accepted, and edited; it should roll out in December (though Simon & Schuster are saying March 09 for the North American release).
Ed also has stories in some current and future anthologies: LILITH UNBOUND from Popcorn Press (edited by Elaine Cunningham, and WELL worth picking up), WORLDS OF THEIR OWN from Paizo (edited by Jim Lowder, and containing stories by Bob Salvatore, Mike Stackpole, Gary Gygax, Elaine Cunningham, and many more), CATOPOLIS from DAW (edited by Martin Greenberg and Janet Deaver-Pack, and containing stories by such gaming notables as Richard Lee Byers, Elaine Cunningham, Bruce Heard, Don Bingle, and Jean Rabe), GAMER FANTASTIC from DAW (Ed contributed both a story and a eulogy for Gary Gygax, and Steven Schend has a story in it, too), a very interesting small-press anthology called GRANT'S PASS from Morrigan Books (which is not the same company as Morrigan Press, I believe), and at least three still-secret projects that I've got wind of, plus some future Wizards work that nothing at all can be said about yet. (My answer to George Krashos about Hesperdan is bound up in one of those secret things, and the work Ed is doing as I type this is bound up in another one.)
Mysteriously yours,
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Nov 2008 02:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  04:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Thank you Lady Hooded One and Ed for the wonderful descriptions of some of Faerun's famous chefs. It was a delicious tidbit of lore to savor during my post-Thanksgiving lethargy.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  06:46:53  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lund

What is the cannon story/tale of Karsus and his life, and can it be found somewhere (Novel, Source Book, etc.)? Is there anything more planned to be written about him?

Hi, Lund. I cannot promise that specific Karsus lore can be found there, but you probably should start with the old 2nd edition sourcebook, Arcane Age: Netheril - Empire of Magic, available as a free .pdf document at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
Go to Top of Page

Lund
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  08:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Lund's Homepage Send Lund a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

quote:
Originally posted by Lund

Hi, Lund. I cannot promise that specific Karsus lore can be found there, but you probably should start with the old 2nd edition sourcebook, Arcane Age: Netheril - Empire of Magic, available as a free .pdf document at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Ah, thank you!

I started right as 3.0 came out so I've never been familiar with any of the 2nd edition books. I had no idea this book existed (and it's even better that it's free!).

Thanks again,
Lund

Let us all be brave enough to die the death of a martyr, but let no one lust for martyrdom.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  15:22:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Don't know if Ed can or even wants to answer this one, but WHY does a game company feel like it needs to be run like the CIA?

Will a terrorist attack happen somewhere if Ed tells us what he is working on?

I just don't understand... it's just a friggin' game, after all.

I can buy the secrecy if they were producing microchips, or some type of 64-bit software encryption, but are they afraid someone else might steal their idea... about Elves?

NDA's I understand to a point (although I think they have gone overboard with them), but this 'secret projects' thing strikes me odd, because most companies LOVE to shout from the mountaintops all the "cool new stuff" they are working on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2008 15:32:04
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  15:51:36  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
My guess is it has to be do the difference between project you promise to work on, and those you actually deliver.
Ed may be working on a project, but when it sees the light may be undecided. If yoy say: we are working on this thing about Larloch, and then it takes 5 years to be released (if it isn't pulled at some point), then that would probably not be good PR.
There may also be other issues, such as the risk of people mass-generating ideas on the item you work on, only to later claim that WotC stole their ideas for their products. Sounds stupid, but these things actually do happen.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  16:59:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Ack! Gomez's line of thought triggered my own. And I'm speaking of personal experience, but it is just an Opinion, and not fact.

Another thing that happens when NDA's and 'Project Secrecy' tends to happen is when the company is at a crossroads and not sure about the direction it may be going in. In my case, my former employers were terrific at this. We'd be working on something, but wouldn't hear any news regarding our work and find out that it's because they weren't sure if they were going to let us finish it.

Gah! I hate this pessimism I've fallen under. Hopefully, I'm incredibly wrong here.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  18:42:06  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Scrolls shared, Scribes:

A quick follow up on my previous Sessrendale question. Okay, spells
prohibit the restoration of the land by Nature Elemental. Would grass
at least come back and the salt be taken out of the land if it were to
pass?

Way back in Dragon ?, when you were discussing the Hells, you mentioned
a duke-in-exile Armaros "the Resolver of Enchantments". May I have much more
on this duke? I want him to be a power behind the throne guy in my stories I
start working on.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  20:36:22  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Astounding alliterations, althen arten!

But seriously.

Is there any insight you can offer in regards to the change in the afterlife between the 3.5 and 4th edition? Specifically, the afterlife of those souls who would be qualified as faithless or false upon death.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Don't know if Ed can or even wants to answer this one, but WHY does a game company feel like it needs to be run like the CIA?

Will a terrorist attack happen somewhere if Ed tells us what he is working on?

I just don't understand... it's just a friggin' game, after all.

I can buy the secrecy if they were producing microchips, or some type of 64-bit software encryption, but are they afraid someone else might steal their idea... about Elves?

NDA's I understand to a point (although I think they have gone overboard with them), but this 'secret projects' thing strikes me odd, because most companies LOVE to shout from the mountaintops all the "cool new stuff" they are working on.

Agreed. If find it rather "odd"....
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Markus, its to generate hype, nothing more. Telling people they are working on a secret project allows fanboys to discuss a whole load of possible opportunities, meaning more people are able to come up with ideas, however outlandish. Saying that Ed is working on, lets say, a sourcebook on Zakhara, instantly cuts out a lot of potential interest.

Further, it allows for them to change or just cancel the project without too much PR hassle. Lets say Blizzard said they were working on a secret project, then announced that due to unforeseen circumstances, it had to be cancelled. Sure, people are upset, but imagine how much more upset people would be if they had announced they were working on World of Warcraft 2, then had to change/cancel the project.

Edited by - Uzzy on 29 Nov 2008 23:26:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  00:10:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay folks, we seem to be deviating somewhat into various side-discussions. Let's remember this is Ed's scroll. If you feel the need to further elaborate on points brought up by other scribes previously, please open a new scroll elsewhere.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  00:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
I just seem to recall in...it could be one of the Shandril Saga books, Elminster gave her a spell to cast on Manshoon, and the reactions just seemed to me to not fit a spellcaster at all.

Storm isn't shown as an able and learned sorceress in "Elminster at the Magefair" . . .

Edited by - Faraer on 30 Nov 2008 01:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  04:42:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sorry, didn't meant to start a discussion, and I've thought of many of the same things other scribes have said, but I was just hoping to hear Ed's own reasoning for all the 'hush-hush' type stuff.

Or should we just start calling Ed '007' - licensed to kibitz

Edit: Forget I even asked - that was a really stupid question, and doesn't really pertain to Realmslore or anything else created by Ed.
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Saying that Ed is working on, lets say, a sourcebook on Zakhara, instantly cuts out a lot of potential interest.
So Ed's working on Zakhara, huh?

(This is how rumours start)

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2008 19:37:41
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  16:20:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Question to Ed but Hooded Lady chime in if you have knowledge of it as well, have animals, familiars, animal companions ever been raised in your games? Would a deity allow its divine energy to wasted on such an animal? More importantly, if answer is no, would this be common knowledge across Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  05:18:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Hey, all. I mistakenly asked Krash a query, thinking that he had been the creator of something, but I was mistaken, and pointed me in the proper direction. Srindym, an Elven poison mentioned in one of the vignettes of Elminster in Hell...Can you share more about this, lore-wise, if anything exists. I'm mainly interested in how it's made (as in, the who, what, when's, and so on), and it's prevalence. Going by his description in that ill-fated DRAGON article, "An iridescent, silver liquid, this poison was created by the eladrin millennia ago and often used by less principled individuals of that race against 'lesser' races", it sounds like something the Eldreth Veluuthra would use. Before I make anything up, however, I'd like to go straight to the source.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  10:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkhund

Storm isn't shown as an able and learned sorceress in "Elminster at the Magefair" . . .

Didn't "Elminster at the Magefair" happen a good number of years before the Shandril Saga? I can't recall.

My memory's a little fuzzy on that scene in Shandril's Saga, but IIRC, Elminster first cast some sort of boosting enchantment on Storm to allow her a one-time casting of a more powerful spell. Elminster then nullified Manshoon's shields which allowed Storm to hit him successfully.

If I were to go hunting through old rulebooks, and based on Manshoon's reaction, I'd guess he was hit with either Khelben's Dweomerdoom, or Gunther's Kaleidoscopic Strike, as both drain a spellcaster of multiple memorized spells. Maybe Ed could shine some light on that whole scene.

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  14:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,
I am sorry if I repeat a question I made a few months ago but I'm afraid it must have been lost.
It's a really important question for us who are playing in this online game set in Baldur's Gate.
As far as I know, the dukes are part of the Lords' Alliance but should be one of the less strict rulers considering they host a Thayan enclave.
I think it also means they wouldn't do anything to harm the enclave, as we know that breaking a signed contract would lead to many troubles.
Why would the dukes bother the Thayans when they admitted them in the first place?
Thsi is exactly what happens in our online persistant world and I believe it is a misinterpretation of the handbook.
Can you confirm that the dukes have nothing against the Thayan enclave and how it si generally perceived by the local people?
It is really importanto for us. Being a persistant world online we're hundreds of players and we're all waiting for this answer that will be much aprpeciated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  16:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Hello THO and Ed,
I am sorry if I repeat a question I made a few months ago but I'm afraid it must have been lost.

Nope, not lost. Pay particular attention to the part I bolded:

quote:

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up. Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law). All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think). And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  20:19:34  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Just out of curiousity (and with a full understanding of how busy Ed is), what's the longest it's ever taken to answer a question on one of these threads? Have any gone more than a year?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000