Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Twigfoon
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  04:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Twigfoon's Homepage  Send Twigfoon an AOL message  Click to see Twigfoon's MSN Messenger address Send Twigfoon a Private Message
Perhaps it's a silly question, but is there a deity the governs the creation of food; as in a culinary aspect? Would it be considered an art of types?

In a world where music can hold magical power, can a dish of your favorite something not do the same thing? I think most of us can agree that things are much easier when your mind is on your task at hand than when it's on your stomach.
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Seeker

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  13:15:53  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message
First, just wanted to say thanks Ed...I ran into you at Bob's and you were very gracious when meeting a fan...I hope the family is good.

My question is: In Spellfire, when Delg and the Company of the Bright Spear were battling cultists in the elven wood and things looked lost; he threw down his axe, struck it with his hammer and called out to Clangeddin. It glowed and rose into the air on its' own. Have there been any game mechanics describing this sort of ability, and is it normal amongst dwarves in your version of the Realms?

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Learned Scribe

97 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  14:49:38  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
Well met!

I was wondering, out of curiosity, which year it currently is, in the 'original' Realms? And by that, I do not mean the Published Realms.

Be well,

//Amarel

Edited by - Amarel Derakanor on 15 Oct 2008 15:03:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  16:07:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Shottglazz, the axe moment you describe was a manifestation of Clangeddin; Delg was in effect "calling in all favours" with the god (knowing his own fate in doing so).
Ed wrote up extensive lists of manifestations (non-avatar appearances of holy power, responding to worshippers or events [such as intrusion into a sacred area or something done to an altar or relic dedicated to them) for all of his Realms deities, but these received very little attention in published Realmslore, even in Ed-written products, due to TSR and later WotC being wary of consumer backlash in the Religious Right-dominated United States (preachers seeking monetary support who seek instances of "witchcraft" and "Satanism" they can decry; as they already target the D&D game, the publisher of that game has always been reluctant to provide anything said preachers can deem "proof" of their views - - and powers ascribed to anything not deemed to be of "God" can and have been portrayed as "proof" of "devil worship" and suchlike).
Neither Ed nor any other D&D game designer I know WANTS to upset anyone in regards to their religious beliefs, so some game elements get downplayed or omitted. The death scene of a hero in a heroic fantasy novel is a temporary exception to the "don't ruffle feathers" rule, if you will.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Seeker

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  16:43:24  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message
THO, thanks for the quick response! Too bad it has to be downplayed, moments like this really make a scene (or character) stand out...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I was just in a store where a young mother was having some difficulty with her young baby (stroller wouldn't fit aisles, baby too young to walk but too heavy to comfortavbly carry), and a question arises: in urban Realms shops, what's the etiquette for babes in arms? Bring in? Breastfeed in public? Leave somewhere in the shop? ?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  18:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I'm preparing a noble-led "covert revolt" in Cormyr in my camapign (wave of War Wizard and Purple Dragon killings, no armies marching yet), and I'd like to know one thing: does the Crown (or just the War Wizards) keep track of roughly how much money (coins and gems) any noble house is amassing, or where they've stashed it?
In other words, can a noble house assemble a private mercenary army in Westgate or Sembia, and hire ships to move them to Cormyr, AND hire many assassins to go after all these individual War Wizard and Purple Dragon targets, and not "automatically" have these expenditures be noticed? How good is Cormyr's spy network in Westgate and Sembia, anyway (Harper or Crown-run)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:04:48  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I would like to ask Ed if he wouldn't mind posting some of his list of manifestations. Pretty please and a spank with a cherry on top? For the gorgeous Hooded One, not Ed

Edited by - arry on 15 Oct 2008 20:58:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29790 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:14:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

I would like to ask Ed if he wouldn't mind posting some of his list of manifestations. Pretty please and a spank with a cherry on top?



Actually, the three divine books from 2E -- Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities are a very good resource for this. Each deity list had a section devoted to their personal manifestations.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:42:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I'm preparing a noble-led "covert revolt" in Cormyr in my camapign (wave of War Wizard and Purple Dragon killings, no armies marching yet), and I'd like to know one thing: does the Crown (or just the War Wizards) keep track of roughly how much money (coins and gems) any noble house is amassing, or where they've stashed it?
In other words, can a noble house assemble a private mercenary army in Westgate or Sembia, and hire ships to move them to Cormyr, AND hire many assassins to go after all these individual War Wizard and Purple Dragon targets, and not "automatically" have these expenditures be noticed? How good is Cormyr's spy network in Westgate and Sembia, anyway (Harper or Crown-run)?
Thanks!



I'm definitely not Ed, but I'd have to say that Vangey's spy network is one of the best run in the Realms. Add to that the fact that Elminster and 'his' Harpers are constantly 'meddling' in Cormyr and I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to pull it off. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Then again, if it makes a great story...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:27:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, scribes:

Ed, has there ever been published army sizes for each of the Dales? Or have there been
any discussion on the forums here?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  21:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Army sizes for the Dales MIGHT have been included in Rich Baker's 2e DALELANDS sourcebook. If my increasingly cr***y memory isn't toying with me.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  00:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
Okay, here's an actual, legitimate lore question. Despite not being listed in the campaign setting book, is the elven pantheon still relatively intact? If so, who's left besides Larethian.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  00:52:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by arry

I would like to ask Ed if he wouldn't mind posting some of his list of manifestations. Pretty please and a spank with a cherry on top?



Actually, the three divine books from 2E -- Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities are a very good resource for this. Each deity list had a section devoted to their personal manifestations.

And I seem to recall Ed touching on one or two manifestations for particular deities in past replies. I can't recall which deities at the moment, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Twigfoon

Perhaps it's a silly question, but is there a deity the governs the creation of food; as in a culinary aspect? Would it be considered an art of types?

In a world where music can hold magical power, can a dish of your favorite something not do the same thing? I think most of us can agree that things are much easier when your mind is on your task at hand than when it's on your stomach.


Bearing in mind the eternal quest for the perfect recipe for toasted zygom stalks in which the clergy of Dugmaren Brightmantle dutifully engage, the one Faerunian deity (I speak not of Kara Tur) whose clergy definitely prepare "feasts" is Sharess, whose Sensates are said to run festhalls in which feasting naturally occurs.

There are hearth goddesses, too, but I don't recall seeing anything about their being particularly involved with cooking.

Two deities who definitely have food on the mind are Sekolah ("meat is meat") and the troll deity Laogzed, but the sahuagin regard cooked meat as an abomination, and I don't imagine trolls would much fancy a barbecue, but they might have recipes for pickled person or some such thing.

Look to Mongoose Publishing d20 and Conan RPG books for some specifics on food magic. The Ultimate Feats book has a feat for preparing food in lieu of potions, and I put an NPC priestess of Dugmaren Brightmantle with that feat into a party a couple of years ago and she has remained fondly remembered even after a year's absence.

I seem to recall that one of the aspects of Shekinester also specifically dealt with cooking in some way, but I am loath to unearth my copy of Serpent Kingdoms just now. (Come to think of it, not a few followers of Talona are cooks, I'm sure!)

Ed has dealt with food many, many times through the years, and you would be well-rewarded by downloading his archived responses and searching for keywords relating to food, cooking, and eating.




I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  06:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, would you please present us with the definite 4-1-1 on the languages of ancient Raumathar and Narfell?






I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  12:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
Bearing in mind the eternal quest for the perfect recipe for toasted zygom stalks in which the clergy of Dugmaren Brightmantle dutifully engage, the one Faerunian deity (I speak not of Kara Tur) whose clergy definitely prepare "feasts" is Sharess, whose Sensates are said to run festhalls in which feasting naturally occurs.



Bear in mind, though, that festhall is just a PG way of saying brothel - neither TSR nor WotC want to be accused of leading younger gamers astray, of course... Personally, I always imagined them to be a cross between a tavern/pub and a brothel. Pubs never have the highest cuisine, tending towards warm and filling fare.

Still, good food is a great pleasure, as is good drink. I can totally see some Sharessans being amazing cooks and vintners.

On a similar theme, I bet Sunites are also pretty good when it comes to cooking. After all, how does the saying go? "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach"? (I'm pretty partial to good food too, it's not just men. )

I'd also be remiss without mentioning Tymora (the goddess of Skill amongst other things - cooking good food takes a lot of skill), and Lathander (the god of Creativity - 'nuff said)... And of course, anyone who cooks would be indebted to Chauntea for the bounty she provides for the table.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 16 Oct 2008 12:28:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  15:12:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
Twigfoon, Ed tells me no one deity governs food and drink; many deities use special foods, meals, meal preparations, drugs, etc. in various rituals of the faith, but food and drink are "universals" and not exclusively the portfolio of any one deity.
He added that:


There are many aspects of life and the natural environment that aren't specifically under the wing of just one deity; it's the "debatable areas" not covered by portfolios where most of the ongoing conflicts/power struggles/adventure opportunities lie, to give life to an ongoing campaign. Secular power struggles should be in the foreground, of course, but divine ones (as a matter of style, these should be much slower and less dramatic than the secular) be active in the background.


So saith Ed. Who is busy for a few days more, but then very much back in the saddle - - so keep those questions coming, scribes!
Ed
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  01:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Not sure if this has ever been brought up before (and it's kind of an off the wall question), but how common is it to spay/neuter animals in the Realms? Would it be mostly done to male animals, given how much easier it is to do?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Seeker

Australia
73 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Visit maransreth's Homepage  Click to see maransreth's MSN Messenger address Send maransreth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Army sizes for the Dales MIGHT have been included in Rich Baker's 2e DALELANDS sourcebook. If my increasingly cr***y memory isn't toying with me.
BB



Dalelands indeed DOES have some numbers, but not for all dales.

In the breakdown of each dale there is a section called Defenses. In the first dale listed (Archendale) it states there are 10 Rides, each of 60 mounted riders. Other dales talk about rough numbers, etc.

So a bit of a mixed bag. Plus the sourcebook doesn't give a date for when it is referenced (at least not with the cursory look I gave it).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29790 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  13:53:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Army sizes for the Dales MIGHT have been included in Rich Baker's 2e DALELANDS sourcebook. If my increasingly cr***y memory isn't toying with me.
BB



Dalelands indeed DOES have some numbers, but not for all dales.

In the breakdown of each dale there is a section called Defenses. In the first dale listed (Archendale) it states there are 10 Rides, each of 60 mounted riders. Other dales talk about rough numbers, etc.

So a bit of a mixed bag. Plus the sourcebook doesn't give a date for when it is referenced (at least not with the cursory look I gave it).



There's no specific dates in the book that I recall, but some reading does give an idea of when the book is set, providing you know the dates used as reference points. The book refers to Mourngrym's son Scothgar (born in 1358) as a "young son", and it says Syluné's death (in 1356) was "more than 10 years ago". So the timeframe would be around 1368, I think, give or take a few years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Army sizes for the Dales MIGHT have been included in Rich Baker's 2e DALELANDS sourcebook. If my increasingly cr***y memory isn't toying with me.
BB



Dalelands indeed DOES have some numbers, but not for all dales.

In the breakdown of each dale there is a section called Defenses. In the first dale listed (Archendale) it states there are 10 Rides, each of 60 mounted riders. Other dales talk about rough numbers, etc.

So a bit of a mixed bag. Plus the sourcebook doesn't give a date for when it is referenced (at least not with the cursory look I gave it).



There's no specific dates in the book that I recall, but some reading does give an idea of when the book is set, providing you know the dates used as reference points. The book refers to Mourngrym's son Scothgar (born in 1358) as a "young son", and it says Syluné's death (in 1356) was "more than 10 years ago". So the timeframe would be around 1368, I think, give or take a few years.

I'd say it's actually based around 1367 DR -- due mostly to this tidbit on pg. 4:- "Usually these are solitary affairs, but in 1356 DR -- only 11 years ago..."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Oct 2008 15:35:38
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  20:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
Y'know, I don't know about food, but a god who may just be the god of alcohol by default would be Moradin. As the dwarves would say, "T'aint nuthin' like a pint o' the holy water! Tis too bad we can only rent it."

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13385 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  05:05:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, Saint Dionysius works for Ilmater (IIRC), and I heard he was a bit of a lush in life, so there ya' go.

For some reason, I just picture a Halfling God with the food portfolio.

Remind me to tell you guys sometime about my Confectioner's Guild based in Greyhawk... it was my fantasy version of the Teamsters.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2008 05:14:03
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  06:13:27  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Lady Hooded,

Can you ask Ed which section of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting he wrote? The book is HUGE and my time very limited these days... and I'd like to cut to the chase and read Ed's sections...

Cheers!

Edit: Please? Sorry... forgot to say please... I'm losing my manners with all that Pathfinder Society gaming excitement! (haven't been this much giddy since the 80's when I first discovered the Realms... )

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 18 Oct 2008 06:15:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000