Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  00:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
That great answer has set my brain to humming with all sorts of castle related questions, but for now I'm going to ask just one: Ed, you said "at least a duck- or frog-pond," and I have to ask; does that mean most gardens have several water features? Or other elaborate features like follies and summerhouses and gazebos (or whatever all of those things are called, in the Realms)? Or do most nobles have ponds they stock with various edible critters, for the kitchens of their households? (Like deer chases, only wetter? )
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  00:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. MY castles question is this: do any or many or most nobles make their own wine and beer within such fortresses? If so, do any of them sell it in local markets?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  00:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hmmm. I am moved to ask a slightly more sinister question: if I own a castle (and am noble) and DON'T want the War Wizards and Purple Dragons to know what's stored in a few rooms of it (either a prominent "missing person" or some contraband wares or goods), and manage to NOT act suspicious in any way, how soon is what I'm hiding likely to get found in the normal course of unfolding life in Cormyr? (How frequently are closed, not-used rooms in castles spied into by the authorities?)
And do you have a different answer to this, if I'm a rich merchant rather than a noble?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  00:50:01  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Now, THAT is a question I'm eager to hear the answer to, too.
I'm also moved to ask one of my own, related to that: Ed and THO, we hear repeatedly about how much Cormyrean nobles hate each other (feuds, rivalries, et al) AND how much they hate the Obarskyrs. So my question is: if Noble of Family X witnesses Noble of Family Y breaking an "important" law, does he or she rat on their fellow noble to the authorities? Or do they keep silent because it's a fellow noble, and they'd rather not give the Crown any hold over any noble? Or does it vary from individual noble to individual noble, or family to family?
And does the answer change if the noble is seen by the other noble breaking a "trivial" law?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  03:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
Here's a question that just passed through my head. If Storm really wants a kid so badly, and can planeswalk, why doesn't she just planeswalk to a world where they have fertility clinics? It may take the fun out of the process, but it gets the job done.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  05:59:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Here's a question that just passed through my head. If Storm really wants a kid so badly, and can planeswalk, why doesn't she just planeswalk to a world where they have fertility clinics? It may take the fun out of the process, but it gets the job done.

Ed actually answered this before. Being a Chosen of Mystra carries with it the 'clause' that a pregnancy can only happen at the behest of the Goddess.

In regards to Storm, maybe someone can help my wandering mind here, but I don't recall it being said that she's never had children...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  06:33:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed has indeed covered the subject of Storm and her "barren" status to some length in previous replies. I'd recommend that any scribes with an interest in such topics, perform a search through the compiled reply files for those discussions.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  06:35:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Ed actually answered this before. Being a Chosen of Mystra carries with it the 'clause' that a pregnancy can only happen at the behest of the Goddess.

In regards to Storm, maybe someone can help my wandering mind here, but I don't recall it being said that she's never had children...

Seven Sisters tells us that Storm is indeed barren -- confirmed by the fact that she was unable to conceive with Maxam, much like during her other earlier dalliances. Whether Mystra has had any direct hand in this, is likely something Ed knows more about. 'Tis also likely that despite Storm's unique case, Mystra may indeed have the final say on whether she can get with child, just as with the other Chosen. We should remember also, that Mystra alone decides whether any of the offspring her Chosen are indeed "allowed" to produce, will display any aptitude for magic or become Chosen themselves. This particular aspect of Mystra's influence could have special meaning in Storm's case.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  10:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
According to this, then, with the death of Mystra, if Storm survived, she may be able to have children.

Regarding Gavel's question: While I am no Ed, I think that if they really hate each other that much, they would blackmail each other.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  13:51:12  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Thank you Ed for the Castle lore, seems to have spawned a few exrtra questions already! Have one or two myself, but will wait.

Enjoy the celebration with your family

Best wishes

Damian
ps THO, Happy Holidays Good Lady

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  16:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Menelvagor, I agree with you: I think it's highly likely they'd blackmail each other. But I think A Gavel was getting at: as a general rule, would nobles stand/band together as nobles against the Crown first and foremost, or would they use the Crown's might to get at each other? (It sounded, too, as if we were discussing "ooh, saw a handy thing I can use against another noble" and not "against the noble I hate more than anything else in the world, whose family has feuded with mine since before either of our Houses can remember.")
Of course, I may be entirely wrong, not being A Gavel, and so should probably hush up now.
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  16:32:55  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
No, I think you restated my query "just right." Well said.
I do, however, have another question, hinted at by Menelvagor's comment re. Storm and children: Ed, can you tell us anything general about how much of Mystra's decrees/prohibitions/etc. were hers alone, and how many were rooted in her understanding of how magic works, Weave or no Weave, and therefore might survive her disappearance, and continue to hold sway in the Realms?
Or is this going to be another of those "wait and see, find out the hard way" matters?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  16:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
A little bird hath hinted in mine ear that Ed now hath a new editor at Tor Books. Can Ed say anything about this yet, or drop any hints about whether we'll see a third Niflheim book, or something new and different from Ed's pen?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
I have a new question, cheekily, although I understand that the pace of answers has regrettably slowed due to unforseen and unfortunate circumstances.

Best wishes for the wife and other things, Mr. Greenwood.

What are common Realms words or phrases for types of ships and what do they stand for?

Do the British Napoleonic War terms of cutter-brig(/brigantine)-sloop-corvette-frigate-ship of the line have any equivalents within the Realms?

How many decks do the largest combat vessels of the Inner Sea have? How much do they displace? How many men serve aboard? How many pieces of artillery?

I know we have Realmslore mentions of 'galleons', 'carracks', 'caravels' and so forth, but the terms are imprecise and often used in an inconsistent manner and/or confusing context (for example, I doubt very much that Cormyr's navy fields only caravels as stated in one source when another source maintains that they are able to use old galleons as training vessels).

Another thing, what about nautical terminology and slang? What do sailors say instead of the following:

"Davy Jones' locker".
"Ship-shape and Bristol-fashion".
"Burgoo" or "Chow".
And so on.

And finally, what do the various nations around the Inner Sea call each other in less than polite company? There aren't any Frogs and Goddamns, but Sembians have been called 'fat merchants' and 'coingrubbers' that I recall. Any more terms of that nature, national derogatory nouns?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I think Ed has answered that last question before, Icelander, somewhere here at the Keep and (I think) in his "in character as a merchant" geographical overview of the Realms which was posted on the Wizards website as a "countdown" teaser for the 3rd edition FRCS book.
And I know Ed has said before (one instance: at a GenCon seminar I attended) that the "caravel," "cog," and other terms are (quoting Ed from my notes, now: "imprecise labels at best, in situations where everything is handmade and classifications are applied afterwards."
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes, he has, maybe when talking to Jerry Davis about Cormyr's navy. MAYBE; I'm afraid I can't recall for sure.
I do remember that some real-world historical ship classification terms are defined by rigging, and some (Napoleonic in particular) by role and by the guns they were fitted with, so I doubt the latter would apply to the Realms.
Sage? Wooly? Kuje? I KNOW Ed has answered this before.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  19:26:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes all:

Oh, Master of the Realms, pray indulge my curiosity on the Mountain that is in the
elbow of the Moonsea Ride and the Northride. (Seems to connect the two?)
What would be some flack about it? Does it (or any other of the Desertmouth or the
Thunderpeaks) have snow on the top year round? Are there any ruins on it? What are some of the humanoid tribes there? What is it's name?

Also, have you ever given out the names and dispositions of the larger humanoid tribes
within the shadows of Forest Cormanthor?

And the gem house in Myth Drannor, in RoMD, you said it was there before the elves.
Can you give some elaboration.

Thanks be to the master of the quill.

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  19:32:42  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I am trying to find out any information I can about the vault in Cormyr. I read somewhere that some things pertaining to it are under NDA, however any information from the smallest detail to a major revelation would be helpful to me.

Thank you

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  20:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Yes, he has, maybe when talking to Jerry Davis about Cormyr's navy. MAYBE; I'm afraid I can't recall for sure.

Where can I find this conversation? I know Jerry Davis wrote down his vision of the Blue Dragons, but I'm unaware of specific Ednotes that inform that work.

quote:

I do remember that some real-world historical ship classification terms are defined by rigging, and some (Napoleonic in particular) by role and by the guns they were fitted with, so I doubt the latter would apply to the Realms.

It's likely enough that the Realms have their own classifictions, based both on the type of rigging and on tactical role. Various navies, for example, are nearly certain to have their own terms for the equivalents of 'single-masted messenger boat'-'small swift vessel usable for blockade-running, scouting or support'-'light combat vessel or scout'-'main battle vessel'-'heavy battle vessel'. It's conceivable that slightly fewer types exist somewhere, but in any nation that has had a navy for centuries, it's unlikely.

quote:

If anyone has links, I'd appreciate them. My current 'search technique' in Ed's notes is to manually open each individual PDF and then enter likely keywords repeatedly. A bit time consuming, it can be.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  21:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
I have a question. Is Elminster's current ennui a reflection of how Ed is currently feeling? And if so, should we send him cookies? (Send Ed the cookies, not Elminster. But if you know of a way to actually send cookies to a fictional character, that's a pretty neat trick!)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, have there been instances of villainous nobles in Cormyr not resorting to arson, but hiring badmashes to terrorize or murder people who won't sell their land at a "reasonable" (to the noble) price? If so, what Robin Hood types (if any) have arisen to help oppressed homeowners/tenants?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  23:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

According to this, then, with the death of Mystra, if Storm survived, she may be able to have children.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering rightly, but I believe Ed said that Storm was barren barren. As in, Mystra didn't need to prevent Storm from having children, because she was incapable of having them (without magical intervention).

(Women do suffer from infertility too, from time to time.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 14 Oct 2008 23:21:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  00:39:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

It does ring some archaic bells floating somewhere deep in my mind.

Icelander, I'll take a look through the archives.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  00:41:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I'm not sure if I'm remembering rightly, but I believe Ed said that Storm was barren barren. As in, Mystra didn't need to prevent Storm from having children, because she was incapable of having them (without magical intervention).

(Women do suffer from infertility too, from time to time.)

Indeed. He's said it during previous replies [in response to a debate between myself and Zandilar on this particular topic], and it's referenced in Seven Sisters, as I said in an earlier reply above.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Oct 2008 00:43:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  03:16:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kamuraki, don't send Ed the cookies, he's just become diabetic! Send ME the cookies; I'll just get fat!
No, Elminster and Ed aren't brain-linked alter egos; the fictional character's mood has no connection to Ed's current thinking and emotions. He's currently exhausted, after nursing his wife for two weeks AND hosting his family for Thanksgiving, but his second Falconfar book, ARCH WIZARD, is finished and submitted and he's currently doing a story for the Grants Pass anthology and something secret for Wizards, and starting the third Falconfar book (and should soon have some good news for us all, too).
Yes, Storm is barren. "No Mystra" will have no effect on that. It's conceivable (sorry for the pun) that a deity could meddle with her feminine parts to make her fertile and able to successfully carry to term, but thus far, there has been no hint of any such thing happening. We'll just have to look to future Ed fiction for more about Storm . . . and probably The Simbul and Old El, too.
Icelander, Ed has talked about naval vessels here at the Keep before, and some fragments of his Sword Coast shipping lore was put into FR5 THE SAVAGE FRONTIER. There ARE galleons in the Realms, and there are some general (loose) classifications of ships: "coasters" (small, slender, fast boats, of the sort a real-world person MIGHT call a "sloop") that run in coastal waters rather than open seas, out of sight of land, "caravels" (schooner-like ships, both military and trading vessels), "cogs" (large, wallowing, broad-hulled cargo craft, capable of carrying heavy cargoes but unwieldy even in calm seas), "rakers" (slender-hulled, fast [as in: have masts enough to crowd on LOTS of sail, when desired] military vessels], and so on. I'm away from my notes right now and just pulling these out of memory; we once played a great Faerunian naval battle on Ed's carpet, with ship silhouettes, on a Saturday afternoon long ago, and it was as impressive - - and confused - - as Jutland. ;}
Sage of Stars, Ed can't say anything on the Tor front yet, other than to murmur that he has many story ideas in the works or up for consideration.
althen artren, as I recall, some dozen or so of the Thunder Peaks are snow-capped all the time, but the areas (and visual prominence, from the ground) of the snow caps are small in size.
Ed thanks all of you for your good wishes, and will return soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000