Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all scribes.
I have some sad news to impart.
Brian Thomsen, former head of TSR's Books Department, the editor and instigator of some classic Realms novels, and Ed Greenwood's very good friend (not to mention a close friend of Jeff Grubb's, and a friend and guide to many, including several scribes on these boards who attended GenCon this year and talked with him about fantasy writing), passed away suddenly last night.
Death comes for us all, but it's never welcome when someone finds it young, suddenly, and with so much left to do.
I'll raise a glass.
love to all,
THO

My condolences to all affected by his death.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
This "In Memoriam" post for Brian M. Thomsen Tor Books site provides some biographical and professional details. It's written by book designer Pablo Defendini, whom I believe was also a friend of Mr. Thomsen's.

Updated to add that this heartfelt tribute by Ed Greenwood is now online at Tor, as well.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 22 Sep 2008 20:34:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I've been holding onto this PM from Ed since June but since I just ended my other campaign, I can finally post this!

Hi! I am happy to report that a long-standing NDA has fallen, and Ed is now free to answer questions about the gate (3e: portal) linking Drawn Swords with Berdusk. To whit:
Heh. I've never considered using this as a plot-hook for an adventure before. But there really are some worthwhile Ed-crafted tidbits here that would work nicely with the focus of my current side-campaign. Nice work Ed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  03:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Now that Ed has shared some details of smoked foods, would he please tell us about herbs and spices of the Realms, where they come from, how they are used, who sells them at the retail end, and their costs in lands distant from their homes?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:12:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings yet again to Ed and the Hooded One.

I've been reading a short biography about the Swedish 17th-century queen Kristina who managed to make quite a few waves in Europe when she abdicated and converted to catholicism - and a small query popped up: What status would a monarch who voluntarily (without being pushed) left his or her throne and crown and left his/her erstwhile realm have in the Realms at large?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:49:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I have been ferrying your posts to Ed in the usual manner throughout these difficult last few days (his wife is not well and he’s caring for her, as well as facing the death of his close friend BrianThomsen).
All things considered, I was a little surprised to receive this relatively swift reply from Ed to Kajehase’s query: “I've been reading a short biography about the Swedish 17th-century queen Kristina who managed to make quite a few waves in Europe when she abdicated and converted to catholicism - and a small query popped up: What status would a monarch who voluntarily (without being pushed) left his or her throne and crown and left his/her erstwhile realm have in the Realms at large?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Kajehase. That depends entirely on how the abdicating monarch’s successor treats him (I’ll stick to “him” in this reply just to keep us from getting tangled up in endless gender choices, okay?).
They can accord him honored status, ignore him, declare him a traitor and execute him, declare him to have done something bad or be about to do something bad and then hunt him down and have him slain, they can spread horrible rumors about him (insanity, blasphemy against the gods, etc.), or they can fake his death and let him “change identities” and live a different life (or the abdicator can do these last two things, in order to gain freedom from birth status, perhaps with the aid of shapechanging magic, hired impostors, and so on). Some monarchs have done this latter dodge to escape determined assassins, try to shake curses and holy censure, and so on.
How the succeeding monarch regards and treats the abdicator depends most on the nature of that successor, but it of course can also depend in part on how the abdicator treats the successor. If the abdicator names and supports the successor, they are going to feel more kindly towards their predecessor, and their legitimacy in the eyes of the people, at least initially, is going to be strongly tied to their predecessor’s support.
If the monarch bolts the throne and leaves a burgeoning civil war behind, everyone in the realm is likely to see the abdicator in a less friendly light - - and if the abdicator sticks around (stays in or near the realm, with a high public profile) and comments on the ruling deeds of the successor, particularly as a critic (so they can be seen by those who do not like the successor as a potential rival for restoration to the throne, wither as a pawn or willingly), the successor is highly likely to see their predecessor as a foe who’s better eradicated.
Voluntarily abdicating monarchs are, of course, rare, though published Realmslore records at least one king of Cormyr.
My unpublished notes contain several others, usually lords of lesser stature who ruled small demesnes or cities, and most of these were wealthy and took themselves far away from their former land, to dwell either in seclusion or under an assumed name (often in the Border Kingdoms or the Tashalar), or as themselves in crossroads cosmopolitan cities where money confers status (such as Waterdeep and Athkatla), where they tended to live the lives of “guest nobility,” often increasing their personal fortunes by shrewd investments in real estate (landlords and property resales) and local mercantile trade. At certain times in the histories of Amn, Tethyr, Sembia, and Calimshan, “getting out of town fast while you still have coins, a title, and an intact neck” was an oft-necessary survival tactic.
I should also mention that among the gnomes of the North, dwelling in modest villages in the few instances in which they didn’t entirely co-mingle with humans in human cities, rulers calmly resigned when they thought they were not longer the best for the job, and named the one they deemed best. If that gnome didn’t want to rule, they deposed themselves on the spot, and handed things on THEIR chosen candidate. If no one wanted to rule, a council of all family elders was convened and the rulership (often by a trio or quartet) was hammered out that way; such teams usually set out to train and inspire their own (one gnome) replacements.

So saith Ed. Who has thought about this before, because we Knights long, long ago met a self-deposed Sembian noble (a “Duke of Windsor” sort, who married as he pleased, kicking over the family traces, and simply fled their disapproval and his duties) living the “high, idle life” in Waterdeep (including maintaining a hunting lodge northeast of the city). To fight off recurring assassination attempts (from bounty-hunting adventurers sent by his Sembian relatives), he’d amassed quite a private army of veteran adventurers, and was beginning to hire them out ro protect Waterdhavian nobles in need.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:55:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. I have been ferrying your posts to Ed in the usual manner throughout these difficult last few days (his wife is not well and he’s caring for her, as well as facing the death of his close friend BrianThomsen).
love to all,
THO

THO, our thoughts and love are with him and his wife.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  17:01:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

All things considered, I was a little surprised to receive this relatively swift reply from Ed to Kajehase’s query:

That was ...fast Thank you Ed and THO both. And I hope those things that can get better for Ed will get better.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  18:00:00  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

That was ...fast Thank you Ed and THO both. And I hope those things that can get better for Ed will get better.

Likewise. Things have been rough for poor Ed. of late
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  23:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Small question for Ed to stick on the pile. I hope things improve for him soon too.

My question is this. What sort of mild drugs/substances might be found in Festhalls? I'm mainly looking for those that would relax people, bring them a bit of happiness, rather then anything too harsh.

Thanks once again for your time.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  01:25:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
While Ed will likely have more,

Uzzy, I will note that Ed's managed to detail some specific other drugs that you may find a place for in your campaign. You could probably check them out while waiting for Ed's reply.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  03:22:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and your wife's illness. I raise a toast to you and yours tonight.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  03:43:31  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
A question I have some dealing with... I have Asperger's Syndrome (A form of high-function Autism which has major problems with socializing as part of the problems). My question is could reveal what these mental thought processes would be see as in the realms. Basically explain how the realms react, understand or help people with these disorders (Asperger's and Autism).

I am also interested in Multiple Personality disorder as well, as it seemed to be interesting for ways of a story.

Thanks,

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  05:59:49  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:

Please extend our sympathies, and let Ed know we are thinking of him.

quote:
Saith Ed:

I should also mention that among the gnomes of the North, dwelling in modest villages in the few instances in which they didn’t entirely co-mingle with humans in human cities, rulers calmly resigned when they thought they were not longer the best for the job, and named the one they deemed best. If that gnome didn’t want to rule, they deposed themselves on the spot, and handed things on THEIR chosen candidate. If no one wanted to rule, a council of all family elders was convened and the rulership (often by a trio or quartet) was hammered out that way; such teams usually set out to train and inspire their own (one gnome) replacements.

"And that is how the game of 'Hot Potato' came to be!" Always a delight to get another gem from Ed on the Forgotten Folk!
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  06:59:53  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Lady THO, please let us know if there's anything we can do to help or make Ed or Brian Thomsen's family feel better.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  15:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Likewise. Things have been rough for poor Ed. of late

I know. Ed, I hope your wife gets better!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  19:41:24  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

[snip]All things considered, I was a little surprised to receive this relatively swift reply from Ed to Kajehase’s query: “I've been reading a short biography about the Swedish 17th-century queen Kristina who managed to make quite a few waves in Europe when she abdicated and converted to catholicism [snip]
Hey... what coincidence! Tony Blair just switched to Catholicism too!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  22:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all scribes.
I have some sad news to impart.
Brian Thomsen, former head of TSR's Books Department, the editor and instigator of some classic Realms novels, and Ed Greenwood's very good friend (not to mention a close friend of Jeff Grubb's, and a friend and guide to many, including several scribes on these boards who attended GenCon this year and talked with him about fantasy writing), passed away suddenly last night.
Death comes for us all, but it's never welcome when someone finds it young, suddenly, and with so much left to do.
I'll raise a glass.
love to all,
THO

Brian Thomsen was a mighty, witty, bubbly prince among us lesser men. He will be sorely missed indeed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed and THO, a question has arisen re. fevers in my Realms campaign: when someone gets a fever after a wound (i.e. probably an infection, probably not poison), do most folk "doing doctoring" in the Realms believe in rest, warmth, drinking lots of soup and suchlike, or do they think a fever is better cured by exertion plus lots of the right food and drink (possibly strong drink)?
I'm deliberately leaving arcane magic AND holy ministrations out of this.
Thanks for anything you can contribute!
BB
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:49:55  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I have been reading some of the Brian Thomsen tributes on the Net, and mentions of Julie Schwartz put me in mind of two Realms queries:
Have there ever been anything in the Realms resembling comic books?
Is there any legend or concept (religious figures, "heroes of faiths," and ruling family ancestor propaganda aside) of a "superman"? Or a super-powered member of any race, who fights evil "for us all," costume or not? (I don't mean all the rebels and Robin Hoos figures, fighting against evil rulers or a class [like "all the oppressive nobles"], I mean someone EVERYONE hears of, from youth, and can picture in their minds.)
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
THO and Esteemed Ed,
I have another Realms question. If I live in upland Amn or Tethyr, away from the big Sword Coast cities, how easy is it for me to buy fine wire? How expensive is it, and how long a "run" of it can I readily purchase? What form is it sold in (i.e. cut off spools, or coiled around wooden bats and sold by the bat, or- -)?
Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oooh! Oooh! GREAT question, Malcolm. Ed and THO, PLEASE could you also answer all of Malcolm's wire questions for Cormyr (everywhere in Cormyr)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  00:02:14  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Blueblade, your question regarding common healing practices has been addressed in an earlier scroll, I believe in March of 2004. I will try to track down the thread and send you a link. I just happen to have re-read it a day or two ago.

From memory: enforced rest, with a blanket, plenty of fluids (which are administered even when they shouldn't be, such as when internal injuries are present).

Edited by - Vangelor on 25 Sep 2008 00:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  02:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Quick question; rice in Faerûn proper? Is it grown there at all or is it just a Kara-Turan crop? And if it's grown, where is it mostly produced? And how is it priced, relative to the finest wheat? 1:1 (which, if we discount exotic status, would be a decent historical figure) or a different ratio?

I can see Thay being able to produce it economically and sell it to most of the eastern Inner Sea. 'twould be a nice addition to their staple trade goods.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  03:17:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed is frantically busy right now caring for his wife, handling many, many phone calls and e-mails re. Brian's death, and (oh yes) trying to finish a novel, too. He promises he'll send me more Realmslore replies as soon as he can.
In the meantime, I am still ferrying all of your queries his way, and am going to step in and answer Icelander with a "quick and slim" partial answer until Ed's real one arrives.
Icelander, from play in the "home" Realms campaign, I know that wild rice is harvested in shallow freshwater lakes and riverbanks all over the Sword Coast North and the Dales, rural Sembia, Tethyr, and Cormyr, plentifully in Unther and Mylhorand, and the rivers that empty into the Lake of Dragons. ( I imagine it's also harvested in Turmish and the Vilhon and many other places, too, but the list I've given, I can confirm from notes I made during play. Yes, Thay with its slave workers would be an ideal rice-growing land [in the right parts of it]).
Rice is therefore a locally plentiful staple where conditions permit it to grow, and hence cheaper than wheat (where it's scarce, it tends to be "unknown for the table," so the "price higher for rarity" factor doesn't come into play much). I know it can (or could, in the 1350s) readily be bought in Waterdeep, Athkatla, and Calimport, and was traded in Tharsult. So, yes, it's a Faerunian crop, and transported for sale as flour as well as grain.
I've drawn this from various notes made during play, of things our characters saw, overheard, and read in ledgers. Yes, Ed thinks of an amazing number of things.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Sep 2008 03:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  03:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Thank you very much, THO. That was quick, kind and thorough of you.

Much obliged.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  16:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Thanks, Vangelor! Okay, question answered, so I withdraw it.
And, of course ( ) replace it with a new one: Ed and THO, how would a local ruler in the Sales or a remote village in the Sword Coast North react to a group of adventurers showing up with a letter from the rulership of a large but distant place (e.g. Waterdeep, Amn, Var the Golden) requesting that the adventurers be allowed to arrest some locally prominent person because of grave but unspecified crimes committed back in that same "large but distant place"?
I'm aware that the character and views of the local ruler are a big factor and could cause a great variety of reactions, if you put the same demand to, say, twenty rulers, but has a tradition or protocol developed, over the years? Or does this just never happen this way?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Geez, that sorta makes my next question look a little lame.
Oh, well.
Lovely Lady THO and Esteemed Ed,
Slingshots. The simple "Y" wooden type or the larger, all flexible "Biblical war" sort. Used in the Realms, yes, because they're in the D&D rules from the beginning.
Used by little kids, though? In unsupervised play? In, say, the Dales? Or the Sword Coast North? And if so, are the kids expected to "kill for the stewpot"? Are there laws or unwritten rules about who and what you CAN'T use your sling on, even in play?
Thanks.

Edited by - Malcolm on 25 Sep 2008 16:11:39
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  19:44:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

ED in Elminster in Hell, Mystra via Halaster cast some great magic that appears to affect Asmodeus. Did Asmodeus ever learn what was done to him and by whom and if so does he have a vendetta against all things mystran? I'm wondering if he had something to do with her death?
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  21:47:05  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but I did want to add my voice on this one:
Ed, I'm sorry for your troubles. Hope things get better.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000