Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  17:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
All my condolences to Mister Greenwood. May his troubles end swiftly and well.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  01:20:09  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Geez, that sorta makes my next question look a little lame.
Oh, well.
Lovely Lady THO and Esteemed Ed,
Slingshots. The simple "Y" wooden type or the larger, all flexible "Biblical war" sort. Used in the Realms, yes, because they're in the D&D rules from the beginning.
Used by little kids, though? In unsupervised play? In, say, the Dales? Or the Sword Coast North? And if so, are the kids expected to "kill for the stewpot"? Are there laws or unwritten rules about who and what you CAN'T use your sling on, even in play?
Thanks.

Ed has discussed popular children's toys of the Realms in these scrolls before, and did specify that slingshots are popular in this role.

But he didn't describe them, or answer any of your other questions as to their accepted (or condemned) use, so I look forward to hearing what Ed has to say on down the line.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  12:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Thanks, Vangelor! Okay, question answered, so I withdraw it.
And, of course ( ) replace it with a new one: Ed and THO, how would a local ruler in the Sales or a remote village in the Sword Coast North react to a group of adventurers showing up with a letter from the rulership of a large but distant place (e.g. Waterdeep, Amn, Var the Golden) requesting that the adventurers be allowed to arrest some locally prominent person because of grave but unspecified crimes committed back in that same "large but distant place"?
BB

BB, have you read Power of Faerun? If Ed didn't answer your questions explicitly in that, you should be able to infer a lot from it. I'm thinking especially of the sections on Heralds and frontier justice.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  17:29:52  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed can you provide any details on the process it takes to place an elemental within a golem? Are elementals knowledgable of this enslavement and thus seek to combat such things happening to their kind, do they have a society/relatonships where one elemental is concerned about the fate of another for this to be possible? Any info you can share on the topis would be appreciated?

I have an NPC mage who has crafted quite a number of golems and I'm wondering if the air elementals would try to destroy him to prevent further enslavements of their kind.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  09:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Another question...

Are there any intelligent shape shifting equines (horses are what I'm mostly interested in) in the Realms? Like, perhaps, were-horses? I know the concept of a were-horse is quite bizarre, given that horses are herbivores/prey animals, and lycanthropic creatures seem to be traditionally predator types. If there are, what are their general disposition (good? evil?) and habits? What kind of regions do they live in, and how rare are they? What kind of relationship do they have with Lurure? Malar? Selune? other deities?

Somehow I've never entirely gotten over my teenage admiration for the horse... and I'm surprised I never asked this before.

Also - I managed to run my group through my planned adventure concerning the High Hunt, and it went reasonably well. THe group managed to rescue Maurara (who was frightened out of her mind, but otherwise unscathed (merely suffered some scrapes and bruises from her short run through the woods - yes, the group was very quick to close the gap!). The Women of the Woods merely watched, rather than participated, and the group leader was able to talk fast enough that the Purple Dragons weren't immediately on their tails (also - Mass Whelm from the Spell Compendium (I think? could be PHB II) is a very powerful spell, especially against groups of low level Purple Dragons - and non-lethal as well). They also managed to capture the instigator and several participants of the hunt... Which leads me to another question (or maybe questions!):

What kind of trial and punishment would people participating in a High Hunt get? Would the person presiding over the trial require the party (or parties) responsible for capturing them be present to give evidence? Would the group get any type of reward from the Crown for their efforts?

Thank you for your time, Ed, despite all the troubles happening in your life at the moment.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 28 Sep 2008 09:08:25
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  16:38:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Zandilar, the Moonhorses, which never really got mentioned in 3e, are intelligent and they had enough intelligence to cast at least one arcane spell. Most of them live on Evermeet though, least they do now.

Uh, forgot what realms book they were detailed in but they are also in the 4 2e black covered Compendium Annual books.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  23:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Are there any intelligent shape shifting equines (horses are what I'm mostly interested in) in the Realms? Like, perhaps, were-horses? I know the concept of a were-horse is quite bizarre, given that horses are herbivores/prey animals, and lycanthropic creatures seem to be traditionally predator types.

I don't find it jarring--horses and plenty of other herbivores can be (and often are) still powerful and dangerous.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  07:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Indeed. For instance, Companions in the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey is a fine example of powerful horses. In FR, there are Nightmares, Moonhorses, etc.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  09:07:43  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
Not meaning to get fully off topic, but Mary Herbert's Dark Horse series has intelligent horses, who in a herd can generate lightning bolts. They only bond with magic users, have super strength, stamina and speed.

Now back to the regular show.
Go to Top of Page

DMJutti
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  14:57:48  Show Profile  Visit DMJutti's Homepage Send DMJutti a Private Message
Hello Ed. I have a question about what your own personal files for Faerun are like. As far as notes are concerned, do you still have a huge archive of original hand written stuff from back in the day, did you lose things along the way, and how do you achieve such continuity through such vast amounts of information, and how do u avoid contradicting urself by saying things that might not line up with previously lore(though im sure this never happens to you). I am assuming that ur notes became the "old grey box" as they say, but how much was omitted, etc. As a DM i have found it particularly difficult to maintain my notes, as many a composition book filled with much planning has dissappeared over the years. Also when u answer queries here do you reference your notes or do u have things memorized, or do u occasionaly come up with new lore. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed is still tearingly busy dealing with life, but promises me more lore replies will be forthcoming, the first one perhaps as soon as tonight.
In the meantime, I will try to answer DMJutti - - though I stress that Ed will give you a PROPER reply.
Ed comes up with new lore all the time, based on how he thinks things are (and are changing) in the Realms. Yes, he has stuff memorized, and yes, he occasionally references his notes. Some of which are "somewhere" in the vast morass of his house (only Steven Schend, of the scribes here at the Keep, has glimpsed the full horror of Ed's crammed basement, piled-to-the-ceiling old study, and crammed with books new basement study).
Which should tell you just how little of Ed's original notes ever made it into the Old Grey Box (for which he was submitting weekly packages of "typed and cleaned up" stuff, his pencil originals being illegible to most other mortals).
Despite all the words published about the Realms over the years, Ed has as many or more unpublished handwritten notes. However, many of them are campaign-specific rather than useful (except as a picture of an unfolding campaign) to a wider selection of gamers.

Heh. So saith me. More from Ed ASAP.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  15:29:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Zandilar, I DO recall shapechanging horses and shapechanging pegasi (human forms for both, and the pegasi also had a giant-eel-like aquatic form) in Ed's "home" Realms campaign. I don't think these ever got published. More from Ed soon, I trust.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  21:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Dear Lady Hooded One, please keep us posted on the condition of Ed's wife a few times a week. We're all pulling for her.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  01:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Zandilar, I DO recall shapechanging horses and shapechanging pegasi (human forms for both, and the pegasi also had a giant-eel-like aquatic form) in Ed's "home" Realms campaign. I don't think these ever got published. More from Ed soon, I trust.
love,
THO

Wow, thank you. Hopefully I'll hear more about these, as they sound interesting... (Giant eel form? electrical eels by any chance? )

Also, thanks to everyone else who answered as well. I'll have to look up Moonhorses now. (I like Nightmares, though they tend to be more intelligent than the Monster Manual would have them in our games... They make very interesting villains all on their own. In effect, we use the stats for the Caucehmar Nighmare, but they're only Large (like a standard Nightmare).)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  01:59:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Thanks, Vangelor! Okay, question answered, so I withdraw it.
And, of course ( ) replace it with a new one: Ed and THO, how would a local ruler in the Sales or a remote village in the Sword Coast North react to a group of adventurers showing up with a letter from the rulership of a large but distant place (e.g. Waterdeep, Amn, Var the Golden) requesting that the adventurers be allowed to arrest some locally prominent person because of grave but unspecified crimes committed back in that same "large but distant place"?
I'm aware that the character and views of the local ruler are a big factor and could cause a great variety of reactions, if you put the same demand to, say, twenty rulers, but has a tradition or protocol developed, over the years? Or does this just never happen this way?
Thanks!
BB

I think you meant Dales, but setting that aside.

Odds are good that a group of 4 ragtags showing up would not be well recieved to arrest somebody. The real answer though depends on how well the nation states view each other. I suspect it would be much like real world. Some areas would respect the power and others disregard it.

This is one of those famous replies, it depends. The local ruler has own goals, that might be welcoming to aliance with other poweres or might be very adverse to them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 01 Oct 2008 03:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  03:20:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

ED in Elminster in Hell, Mystra via Halaster cast some great magic that appears to affect Asmodeus. Did Asmodeus ever learn what was done to him and by whom and if so does he have a vendetta against all things mystran? I'm wondering if he had something to do with her death?

If Ed and THO don't mind, I'll take a stab at this one...

I'd forgotten about that... it would explain why, according to 4E canon, Asmodeus gets his claws into Azuth after Dweomerheart explodes and sucks Azuth's divine life force out of him. Whether or not he had a hand in Mystra's end, he definitely finished off Azuth, and that may be sufficient for him, knowing also that Mystra is dead anyway... at least in canon 4E, which I don't play... either the game system or the devoid-of-lore Realms.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Oct 2008 03:22:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  03:32:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring Ed's very swift response to Jakk's post:

Well spotted, Jakk! I don't mind your stab at it at all, considering you got it spot-on!

So saith Ed. Who will be sending me Realmslore replies soon, he promises.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  03:40:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well (heh), sooner than I'd thought!
Hot on the heels of Ed's first response, posted above, came this one, to Foxhelm's query:
"A question I have some dealing with... I have Asperger's Syndrome (A form of high-function Autism which has major problems with socializing as part of the problems). My question is could Ed reveal what these mental thought processes would be seen as in the realms. Basically explain how the Realms react, understand or help people with these disorders (Asperger's and Autism). I am also interested in Multiple Personality disorder as well, as it seemed to be interesting for ways of a story. Thanks, Foxhelm"
Ed replies:

Hi, Foxhelm. This is one of those "it depends" answers, as in: it depends on the attitudes of individuals in the Realms, who tend to think all people with mental "differences" they detect as being either "God-touched" or under the influence of hostile magic (e.g. a faulty attempt by someone else to mentally control them from afar, by means of a spell). If they just encounter the "different" being once, for a short time, the second explanation is more usually adopted, but if they meet the "different" being repeatedly (e.g. grow up in the same village), the former explanation is usually adopted.
As for multiple personality disorders, apply these same two "explanations" and add "possession" (by undead seeking to use the living person for some purpose, or again by some living and evil-aligned or desperate person, employing magic) as a third and most often arrived-at explanation for the "different" mental behaviour.
I hope this helps.
To all other scribes: I'm getting to answering your lore queries. Really I am!

So saith Ed. Who really is.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  03:48:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

You almost brought a tear to my eye there Ed. I really appreciate you being there for us. Who knows? I'm still hoping for a Elminster or Halaster to wake up from a bad dream and resume their usual, previously scheduled 1374 DR activities...

Ed: I know Erik Mona came up with Lathander's Dawn Cataclysm (AFAIK), but perhaps this little singular yet-to-happen out of the timestream event could also be used... in the event where a major retcon is required... say... at the advent of 5E... and if you feel that a dream sequence solution is too... cheesy!

PDK,
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here because it's relevant: I already have a completely believable retcon queued up and in the process of being rehashed for submission in the event that it is needed (I hope). Let me just say that it makes use of past RSEs and does *not* involve anything so cheesy as a dream sequence, or anything so ho-hum, been-there-done-that as another RSE. RSEs for me have become boring. What would have been exciting for me with Realms 4e is if they had placed the new dragonborn, tiefling, and genasi realms on some of those "Unknown Lands" we see on the world map in the Geography chapter of the 3E FRCS, and left the existing geography untouched apart from Anauroch/Netheril. Oh well. That's what "making the Realms your own" is all about, right, Ed?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Oct 2008 04:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  04:43:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
I'm annoyed that I missed these two points the first time I responded to createvmind, but better late than never...

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

ED in Elminster in Hell, Mystra via Halaster cast some great magic that appears to affect Asmodeus. Did Asmodeus ever learn what was done to him and by whom and if so does he have a vendetta against all things mystran? I'm wondering if he had something to do with her death?

[Edit] Two thoughts:

[Edit: Insert] First, did Asmodeus have something to do with Cyric being able to get into Dweomerheart to do what the GHotR and new FRCG say he did? The GHotR says that Shar was the abettor, but was she the *only* one?

Second, did Halaster's involvement here have something to do with his death? I know he was involved in some great ritual casting pre-demise; can we have some more information on this (such as what he was trying to do)? It would be particularly nice for me, seeing as I'm DMing and playing in a 3.5 non-Spellplague Realms in which the Chosen (Halaster now among them, thanks to changes in Mystra's nature in the Year of Blue Fire; I've gone into more detail on this in another scroll) are still alive and well, and exarchs don't exist. There are Chosen, then there are demigods, etc. Many of the events in late 1300's canon history still happen in some form, but with very different outcomes from what the new FRCG gives us.

Oh... and another question for Ed, on a related note, while I'm thinking about it... although it's 4E canon related. *In Ed's opinion,* are Elminster and the Simbul spared in the "Chosen purges" in order to provide the Realms with new deities of magic once the prohibition against the ascension of such powers is eliminated? I'm curious about that prohibition, too... although I suspect NDA's may be in effect here.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Oct 2008 05:26:22
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  04:53:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Ah, a question brought on by going through another scroll, and one perhaps the lovely Lady of the Hood can answer forthwith:

You had mentioned Ed running various games at GenCon and other venues. Although I had never been blessed to play in one of his games, I did get to have a 'dinner and a reading' with him lo about ten years (or more) back. My question is, do you have a schedule of Ed's convention appearances outside of GenCon? Or can you point us to one?

My many thanks, THO and pass on my good hope to Ed and his family,

Ashe

Edit: Grammar

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 01 Oct 2008 04:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  05:09:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Well (heh), sooner than I'd thought!
Hot on the heels of Ed's first response, posted above, came this one, to Foxhelm's query:
"A question I have some dealing with... I have Asperger's Syndrome (A form of high-function Autism which has major problems with socializing as part of the problems). My question is could Ed reveal what these mental thought processes would be seen as in the realms. Basically explain how the Realms react, understand or help people with these disorders (Asperger's and Autism). I am also interested in Multiple Personality disorder as well, as it seemed to be interesting for ways of a story. Thanks, Foxhelm"
Ed replies:

Hi, Foxhelm. This is one of those "it depends" answers, as in: it depends on the attitudes of individuals in the Realms, who tend to think all people with mental "differences" they detect as being either "God-touched" or under the influence of hostile magic (e.g. a faulty attempt by someone else to mentally control them from afar, by means of a spell). If they just encounter the "different" being once, for a short time, the second explanation is more usually adopted, but if they meet the "different" being repeatedly (e.g. grow up in the same village), the former explanation is usually adopted.
As for multiple personality disorders, apply these same two "explanations" and add "possession" (by undead seeking to use the living person for some purpose, or again by some living and evil-aligned or desperate person, employing magic) as a third and most often arrived-at explanation for the "different" mental behaviour.
I hope this helps.
To all other scribes: I'm getting to answering your lore queries. Really I am!

So saith Ed. Who really is.
love to all,
THO

I was interested in this one as well, as I also have Asperger's syndrome... and a B.A. with a minor in psychology. Ed's reply was much as how I would have answered the question for my own high medieval fantasy world, so it's good to know that my answer meets with Ed's approval.

No new question of my own; Ed's busy enough. All the best to Ed and his family with everything the real world has sent their way lately.

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  09:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
quote:

Despite all the words published about the Realms over the years, Ed has as many or more unpublished handwritten notes. However, many of them are campaign-specific rather than useful (except as a picture of an unfolding campaign) to a wider selection of gamers.

I'll pay for all those notes about Thay O_______O

p.s. also wanted to join the others in wishing Ed's situation to get better
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Time for my annual question...

Previously (March 6, 2005), Ed enlightened us all about coffee (sweet nectar of the gods), in part:
quote:
Cider mugs are usually used for coffee-drinking in northerly places, but in the south small palm-sized bowls with outflaring tops and 'drinking spouts' (looking rather like a small real-life china Victorian cream jug, only one drinks coffee from the narrow shovel-spout rather than pouring the cream out of it) are favoured. These are known formally as "kavvar" or colloquially as just "cups," and coffee is usually formally called "kaeth" and colloquially known as "fireswallow."

What is the singular form of "kavvar" and is it a common Common word or from a local (southern) dialect?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  20:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
I have a question about Returned Abeir. I just went through the published lore available thus far quite closely. Let me tell you, when you start reading about guys like "Belaskur Hallowdryn, a haugty racist and superb actor who deals in fine gowns, lace, scents, gloves, and hats" and about earth giants who "make a powerful alcoholic drink, gulluk, from fermented cooking broth flavored by much use" (flesh-softening cooking broth, I should add), well, then you know whose capable hands you've put yourself in.

So, my question is this. Except for the (admittedly vast) plaguelands of the Glaur Barrens in Gontal, the only mention of the spellplague I can find on the continent is the flareup that sealed the demon lord Cormanda into the volcano that now bears his name. And of course as a demon, the now plaguechanged Cormanda's origin is in the cosmology of Toril.

So, my question has to do with the presence of the spellscarred and plaguechanged in Return Abeir at large. Are bearers of the Spellplague's various marks more or less common than they are in Faerūn?

And purely as an aside, does the Order of Blue Fire have any presence in Returned Abeir? Seems like they'd be quite interested in the Glaur Barrens if they had knowledge of them.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  22:47:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question on the dragons of the north, how many of them survived the 100 year deal

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  01:57:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you the words of Ed once more, this time in response to this query from Zandilar: "Heya, A question for you Ed...
Is there a common Realmsian expression that's equivalent to our 24/7/365? ie: Someone does such and such 24/7 365 days of the year."
Ed replies:

Hi, Zandilar. Yes, indeed. There are several expressions in various tongues, but the universal one, in Common, is "from rise to rise, and all rises through." (Meaning: from sunrise to the next sunrise, and all sunrises without pause.)
So saying just "from rise to rise" is the same as our real-world expression "around the clock," and "rise to set" is equivalent to "all day long."

So saith Ed. First and Foremost Linguistics Master of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  02:01:30  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Ed's back! Wheee!
I have a Realms question that has arisen out of what I just ate: in the Sword Coast cities of the Realms, plus Cormyr and Sembia and the Dales, what form is chocolate most often encountered in? (A drink? An icing or sauce? Little edible "chocolates"? (If the latter, what are these called and what do they most often have with them [as centers, sprinkles, coatings, et al]?)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  02:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Umm, Christopher, what's the Order of the Blue Fire?
(How have I missed seeing this, in my Realmsian readings?)
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  02:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
A recent property value assessment mailed to me, for tax purposes, makes me ask: Ed or THO, how do properties get assessed by tax collectors in the Realms? Or are taxes never levied for properties, or on a different value from one property to the next?
If there are tax valuations, is it land, or buildings, or what, that predominates? Or does it (quite likely, sigh) vary from place to place?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000