Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:12:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

createvmind, fire truck nicely played (puts on raingear and umbrella)

Ed, what can you give us on the elven realm that existed before
Uvaeren, north of it on the west side of the Desertmounth Mountains.
Does anybody know where info on the mts around the Dalelands can be
found, I especially need mineral wealth that can be mined.

Also what mineral wealth was mined under Myth Drannor?

Finally, does anybody have rough number on the military forces
in the Dales circa 1375 DR?
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  03:29:48  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message
No worries, I'm sure there are older queries than mine awaiting in the pile.
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed replies:

Hi, chance87. Sorry for my delay in getting to your question.

Another that's been on my mind lately: What can you tell us of the major players in the Harpstar Wars that hasn't seen print? Specifically, individuals on either side who fell in the conflict.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:23:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Are Dove and Storm still around or did they die a painful horrible death??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wulgreth
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  11:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Wulgreth's Homepage  Send Wulgreth an ICQ Message Send Wulgreth a Private Message
Sorry if I repost from elsewhere but I was suggested to submit this question here.
I led my players to the underdark, right below Chondath yesterday. The map in the "Underdark" accessory shows a huge area, miles wide, called "The Pit of Jhaam". Anyone has an idea of what it contains? Nothing shown up on Internet, is it another "blank" area for DM to design? Can we have some hints?
I guess it my be Jhaam's graveyard crawling with psionic monsters, but is it a immense cavern filled with slime or..? How was it created?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Hi Ed. Hi Ms Hood.

Your reply about the Midsummer festival in Silverymoon from 2005 (archived here) includes a description of Shieldmeet that expands on the print-published one and looks as if it might have been adapted from a pre-existing writing. If that's so, and if you have equivalent texts accessible on the other seasonal festivals, making them available would be a very nice contribution to the work here.

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Aug 2008 22:33:21
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  00:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Just read Weaver of Dreams, and wanted to let Ed know I loved it. What a delightful story!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO

Where is the Realms would one find the most advanced architecture? Which cities have the most fantastically complex buildings that "wow" visitors? And lastly, which city has the most bizarre? My queries are for surface cities, but if you think an underdark city would fit the bill feel free to include it.

Thanks again and see ya next week!

Ed answered some architectural questions for me a couple of years ago, but I'm at one of those fancy-shmancy public library computers and can't post the text for you now; they'll be in the archived answers.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eiglos

Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .

Silly! Why would they include all of the deities when they can peddle a book with "more" deities next year ... for about $35.00 (US)? That's exactly what they did with Faiths and Pantheons (read the last line of text before the "monster" deities chart).

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 18 Aug 2008 23:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  02:34:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by eiglos

Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .

Silly! Why would they include all of the deities when they can peddle a book with "more" deities next year ... for about $35.00 (US)? That's exactly what they did with Faiths and Avatars (read the last line of text before the "monster" deities chart).

You mean Faiths & Pantheons? Faiths & Avatars was a great product...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  03:18:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Ed,

Really sorry I didn't get more of a chance to talk to you at Gen Con (as I was with the small group of CK scribes that saw you in the hallway just before the Secrets of the Realms seminar), but my dear daughter informs me that she may have had a chance to say hello to you, as she thinks you were the kind gentleman that complimented her rather elaborate face paint that she was sporting on Sunday.

Just wondering if she did indeed encounter the charm of the Bearded One?

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  23:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(snip)

You mean Faiths & Pantheons? Faiths & Avatars was a great product...

That's exactly what I meant, and I have corrected my post. I like 'em both, but would have preferred that their titles weren't so similar.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 18 Aug 2008 23:41:22
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:36:24  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ed,

What can I say, when it comes to what a fan could want in meeting an author, your the best!
I was lucky enough to exchange a few words with you, but was impressed with that fact that no matter who came forward and what they asked, you make time for them and most everyone leaves you with a smile on their face, having a better day then when they met you!
Spin a Yarn was a hoot. It was crazy, with all you did it was like watching someone juggle cats on fire!! Kudos on the three or so musical interludes, brilliant. One song was easily recognizable, but your soprano work eluded me. I know our friend Sage would love to know what song that I found that I took 4 pages of notes and by no mans was able to get all the suggestions, I was going to share them in another scroll, but remembered that you said something about posting them along with the story. I will gladly hold onto them if you like, or if it's ok, I will share them.

Thank you.

My questions, which are not of urgent nature:

In recent Realms history who would be the Most vicious/ruthless rebel leader, who went on to "legitiment" recognized ruler?

What was the most staggering, unprobable victory(even if not winning that battle but leading to victory by the smaller of the two, ie Spartans vs. Persians) by a small/outmanned/underdog versus a huge unbeatable foe? I am looking for something that would even be common knowledge currently, still used as an example of caution.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  08:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I have several questions regarding The Winds of Netheril and Encyclopedia Arcane from the Netheril boxed set, by slade and Jim Butler:

1. On page 57 of Winds, Nightbringers have a list of arcane spells which they may access. I have several questions about that paragraph (number two with a bullet):

1.1 What is the Netherese name of seeming, which doesn't appear in the spell lists on pages 23 through 28?

1.2 What is the Netherese name of shadowcat, which doesn't appear in the spell lists on pages 23 through 28?

1.3 Vilate's whispering (a.k.a. "whispering wind") is listed only as a variator spell, while the rest of the list are mentalisms or inventives. By my understanding, no Netherese arcanist could understand all three types, so either Vilate's whispering was listed in error among the Nightbringer spells, or it is misplaced in Appendix I (or perhaps belongs to variations and another field, as other spells did). What is the correct placement of the spell?

1.4 The example given at the end of the paragraph seems to be in error: by my understanding, it should either read, "half their actual level (round fractions up)" or else the example should be of a 6th-level nightbringer. Which is correct, please? it will make a huge difference to one of my players.

2. In Encyclopedia Arcane several priestly spells are listed, but they are shown with standard AD&D "schools" instead of having their "winds" listed. Will someone please list the winds associated with these spells (for all the deities, please, not just Shar)? Again, it makes a big difference for one of my players: as I understand it, a nightbringer was only able to cast transcendent spells and spells from only one of zephyrous, buffering, prevailing, or sporadic (or are zephyrous and buffering winds available to all of them with the choice-by-alignment being only among the other three winds)?

Those are my questions and requests. As I have come to expect from slade, the product was terrific, and it is only now that these questions have cropped up and must be resolved before my player discovers these ancient secrets (which should happen within the next two weeks).

August 2008: Ahem. Well ... the other players copped out on the day the great discovery was to be made (at the end of my version of the Dungeon of Swords), so the player who was to make the discovery didn't (Dungeon of Swords -- one PC -- you do the math!) and then history had a hiccup so that the player who needed to know this doesn't need it any longer, but I am still curious. A year and a half having passed with my questions unanswered, I now pitch them to the Sublime Fount of All Realmslore, our own Master of the Green Wood. A little help, please, Ed?

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  13:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
This may have been asked, but with Mystra's (Midnight) death, what happened to her Chosen? First of all, did the mages of them (Alustriel, The Simbul, Elminster) survive the Spellplague? If they did, did they retain their powers a Chosen (Silver Fire, Immortality, etc.)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:23:36  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book. El is still alive, as is the Simbul. Qilue's details are in the Lady Pen trilogy. Dove, and Storm, atm, are unknown. Laeral, I haven't heard anything about.

I'm missing one...

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

This may have been asked, but with Mystra's (Midnight) death, what happened to her Chosen? First of all, did the mages of them (Alustriel, The Simbul, Elminster) survive the Spellplague? If they did, did they retain their powers a Chosen (Silver Fire, Immortality, etc.)?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:32:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Syluné passed away in the Shadowdale adventure/sourcebook.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Aug 2008 16:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book. El is still alive, as is the Simbul. Qilue's details are in the Lady Pen trilogy. Dove, and Storm, atm, are unknown. Laeral, I haven't heard anything about.

I'm missing one...

Sylune, who is presumably still dead.

This just in, Sylune is still dead.

I guess Chosen lost most of their powers, including immortality. Silver Fire is also likely to have been lost.

How well that meshes with existing Realmslore, I'll not comment upon. Let's just say that retconning can be the best friend of those who don't really want to bother to learn the intricacies of a campaign setting before writing for it.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:37:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
By passed away, I mean she finally left the Prime Material plane behind and is no longer in the Realms.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:39:07  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
That's right, Sylune. :) Thanks guys. I was brain farting on who it was. Don't post when you are half awake. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:05:28  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Did they make mention of the Alvaerele Tasundrym, "The Silent Chosen"?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book.

When was this?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:29:13  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Sometime after the events of the spellplague.... it's in the new campaign book. Someone who owns that book might be able to comment better then I can. :)

quote:

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book.

When was this?

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  07:07:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
It isn't specified where exactly the Simbul is (other than that she resides in the Dalelands).
Somehow though I feel she isn't in Shadowdale. It would probably be mentioned if that was the case.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  07:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
If Alustriel is dead, who leads the Silver Marches?
And how could Alustriel die of natural causes, but Elminster is still alive? He's like, 1000 years older.

Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Learned Scribe

80 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  16:00:02  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message
quote:

If Alustriel is dead, who leads the Silver Marches?
And how could Alustriel die of natural causes, but Elminster is still alive? He's like, 1000 years older.

Alustriel didn't pass the WotC Survival Test: "Does this character make good money for us?"

For or against something doesn't matter. Just don't be the hind-end of a rothe about it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000