Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  19:31:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And yet another question for my own ever-growing queue... A recently resurrected topic made me think of this one again, and I finally decided to ask the top banana himself.

Why does the Faerūnian pantheon not have a god of mischief? As someone who likes the Trickster types, I've long wondered about this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3294 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  21:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Archendale: pssst, p. 225.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  02:51:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. As for Ed, he's (sing together, now) "Off to see the Wizards, the Wizards, the Wizards/He's off to see the Wizards, wonderful gamers because . . ."
Which leaves me to pinch hit until * I * take off after him.
Hoping to sneak into GenCon and, ahem, surprise him. (Black lacy lingerie? Check. Thigh-high slit gown? Check. Flavoured rouge for nipples? Check? Ahem . . .)
Ahuh-ahem, as I was saying . . .
Wooly Rupert, in Ed's original Realms, Mask was one god of mischief (the nasty sort) and Lliira was another (the happy pranks sort). I think those aspects got "played down" because some TSR designers wanted to take this setting very seriously. (The elves, gnomes, and halflings all had deities who indulged in pranks, too, as I recall, as did the pixies and quicklings.)
Markustay, I'll leave Ed's olden-time geography questions for the Man himself, but I can enlighten you as to Carragar.
Originally, Carragar was the name of a now-long-dead holy man who founded the present-day settlement of Carragar (it was his hermitage, established next to a good strong drinkable spring, and before his death a hamlet of his descendants and like-minded worshippers). It is now, over a century later, a village-about-to-become-town dominated by a grown-from-the-days-of-the-mortal-Carragar community of priests. That community (and therefore the village) is centered around a temple, the Holy house of Carragar.
At least, so my handwritten notes say, copied from Ed's notes and what Ed told us (in-character) during play; for more details, we'll still have to wait for the return from e-silence of the Man Himself.
Lastly: the 2007 Spin A Yarn SHOULD be posted very soon, on the Wizards website.
I, for one, can't wait. Ed always manages to put together a tale that's a good read AND more than mere silliness.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  03:37:41  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(Black lacy lingerie? Check. Thigh-high slit gown? Check. Flavoured rouge for nipples? Check? Ahem . . .)
Hehe... Looks like I'll have to add a few things to the Lady K's "shopping list" this week.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13457 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  05:07:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks THO - at first I didn't think what you told me matched up to the text in PftF, but then I realized I was thinking of the word 'holy' from a RW point-of-view.

I'm sure Beshabans consider themselves very holy.

The only other point is that the text refers to a now-defunct temple, but then I remembered Ed's home games took place in the official Realms 'past'.

So everything fits.

I had already placed it on the Erlkazar Map as a Temple, and since the the settlement is (or was) still based around the temple, I will stick with that. Coincidently, I had placed it alongside a river, so the "fresh water supply" part worked out perfectly.

Thanks for your input - Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Aug 2008 17:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  05:29:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Wooly Rupert, in Ed's original Realms, Mask was one god of mischief (the nasty sort) and Lliira was another (the happy pranks sort). I think those aspects got "played down" because some TSR designers wanted to take this setting very seriously. (The elves, gnomes, and halflings all had deities who indulged in pranks, too, as I recall, as did the pixies and quicklings.)

Interesting... I wish those aspects hadn't been played down, especially since the other races got to keep their Tricksters. Mask and Lliira covering the aspects of mischief adds another element to both deities.

Had I known about that, Lliira would have made my fave deities list long ago -- I fancy myself to be something of a Trickster-type, a fact which will likely surprise many people.

But at least I have Lurue to cover my whimsical side.

Go to Top of Page

eiglos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  09:00:01  Show Profile Send eiglos a Private Message
Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  13:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eiglos

Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .

No worries. For the first time since getting into the Realms, I am ignoring new stuff. I don't consider the Realms of 4E to be the Forgotten Realms.

But that's not a topic for this thread.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Ed is on the way, and I shall very soon follow. Yet let not the e-silence still your tongues, scribes! Keep those queries, comments, and follow-up lore questions coming, because they are meat and drink to the Father of the Realms, and he'll continue to try to answer all he can! The 2007 Spin A Yarn publication is imminent, and of course GenCon attendees will have the fun of making a new one, just days from now!
Heh. Enough cheerleading. Let's see what unfolds at the con; Ed may of course not be able to tell us all the inside info, but I'm sure things will be said and decided that will have a great influence on what see published about the Realms in the future.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Well, Ed is on the way, and I shall very soon follow. Yet let not the e-silence still your tongues, scribes! Keep those queries, comments, and follow-up lore questions coming, because they are meat and drink to the Father of the Realms, and he'll continue to try to answer all he can! The 2007 Spin A Yarn publication is imminent, and of course GenCon attendees will have the fun of making a new one, just days from now!
Heh. Enough cheerleading. Let's see what unfolds at the con; Ed may of course not be able to tell us all the inside info, but I'm sure things will be said and decided that will have a great influence on what see published about the Realms in the future.
love to all,
THO

THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of sh*&s and giggles?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 12 Aug 2008 17:42:52
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit
THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of $#!@ and giggles?

Dearest Neriandal, you should know that if a woman has the good graces and most excellent foresight to don lingerie, giggling is perhaps the second least-appropriate response available.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 12 Aug 2008 17:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of $#!@ and giggles?

Dearest Neriandal, you should know that if a woman has the good graces and most excellent foresight to don lingerie, giggling is perhaps the second least-appropriate response available.

A woman in lingerie is wasted on a man like me, so giggling is always first!

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:46:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
THO...

The other part of that phrase would also be an inappropriate response, and even more of a mood-killer!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13457 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:49:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Of course giggling is inappropriate... until such a time when more privacy allows certain 'unchivalric' indiscretions.

The correct response whenever a lovely female in lingerie is visible is to immediately take out you camera phone and E-mail me a picture.

This way, I have all the more reason to keep kicking myself for having decided to forego this year's Gencon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  01:30:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The correct response whenever a lovely female in lingerie is visible is to immediately take out you camera phone and E-mail me a picture.
Hehe.. Markus, when I've found myself in such situations, I can tell you that picking up a camera phone is pretty much the LAST thing I'm thinking about.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 01:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  03:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hehe.. Markus, when I've found myself in such situations, I can tell you that picking up a camera phone is pretty much the LAST thing I'm thinking about.

Indeed. Besides, the cameras should already be set up and running!

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:12:32  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed. Besides, the cameras should already be set up and running!

nicely played sir

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:23:13  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed.

Though, having now realised just how far we've taken Ed's scroll off-topic, I think perhaps we should return to questions for the Bearded One.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 04:24:02
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:47:00  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message
I'm curious as to what part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Ed wrote about. THO, might you ask him now that it's out? :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:58:09  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
:Slowly backs up the fire truck and prepares to get to hosing my fellow scribes yet again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  13:56:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just wanted to point out to everyone that the 2007 Spin A Yarn tale has finally been posted...

Introducing "The Weaver of Dreams"
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

And for those that have missed them, here's the links to past ones:

"Ladies Night at the Yawning Portal"

"Only a Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse, Part One"
"Only a Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse, Part Two"

"The Night Tymora Sneezed", main page (links to all parts)
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part One"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Two"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Three"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Four"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Five"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Six"

"The Lady of the Mists"

"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (Introduction)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 1)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 2)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 3)

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

I just wanted to point out to everyone that the 2007 Spin A Yarn tale has finally been posted...

Thanks WR for all the links - most appreciated

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  15:49:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Introducing "The Weaver of Dreams"
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
At last!

Though, I don't have time to read it just now. I'll leave that for the train-ride home.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  16:26:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Hmm, I'll be dipped. For a long time, the original Spin A Yarn tale was nowhere to be found. It had been posted on the WotC site, but then lost in one of their many website reorganizations. I have now relocated the link to it.

"Never A Warpig Born"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  16:46:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. I actually missed saving this one the first time around.

Good catch Wooly.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000