Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  05:29:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wooly Rupert, in Ed's original Realms, Mask was one god of mischief (the nasty sort) and Lliira was another (the happy pranks sort). I think those aspects got "played down" because some TSR designers wanted to take this setting very seriously. (The elves, gnomes, and halflings all had deities who indulged in pranks, too, as I recall, as did the pixies and quicklings.)

Interesting... I wish those aspects hadn't been played down, especially since the other races got to keep their Tricksters. Mask and Lliira covering the aspects of mischief adds another element to both deities.

Had I known about that, Lliira would have made my fave deities list long ago -- I fancy myself to be something of a Trickster-type, a fact which will likely surprise many people.

But at least I have Lurue to cover my whimsical side.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

eiglos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  09:00:01  Show Profile Send eiglos a Private Message
Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  13:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eiglos

Wooly,

I'm afraid you no longer have Lurue, she is not on the list in the 4e FRCS deities .

No worries. For the first time since getting into the Realms, I am ignoring new stuff. I don't consider the Realms of 4E to be the Forgotten Realms.

But that's not a topic for this thread.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Ed is on the way, and I shall very soon follow. Yet let not the e-silence still your tongues, scribes! Keep those queries, comments, and follow-up lore questions coming, because they are meat and drink to the Father of the Realms, and he'll continue to try to answer all he can! The 2007 Spin A Yarn publication is imminent, and of course GenCon attendees will have the fun of making a new one, just days from now!
Heh. Enough cheerleading. Let's see what unfolds at the con; Ed may of course not be able to tell us all the inside info, but I'm sure things will be said and decided that will have a great influence on what see published about the Realms in the future.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Well, Ed is on the way, and I shall very soon follow. Yet let not the e-silence still your tongues, scribes! Keep those queries, comments, and follow-up lore questions coming, because they are meat and drink to the Father of the Realms, and he'll continue to try to answer all he can! The 2007 Spin A Yarn publication is imminent, and of course GenCon attendees will have the fun of making a new one, just days from now!
Heh. Enough cheerleading. Let's see what unfolds at the con; Ed may of course not be able to tell us all the inside info, but I'm sure things will be said and decided that will have a great influence on what see published about the Realms in the future.
love to all,
THO

THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of sh*&s and giggles?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 12 Aug 2008 17:42:52
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit
THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of $#!@ and giggles?

Dearest Neriandal, you should know that if a woman has the good graces and most excellent foresight to don lingerie, giggling is perhaps the second least-appropriate response available.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 12 Aug 2008 17:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
THO...

I know I likely know this answer, but I dare shall ask. If you shall so boldly grace your presence to Ed in that lingerie...dare we get the pleasure of seeing you (in or out of it that delicious image...) Saturday morning at targeted meet-point for Keep members, so we all may have a round of $#!@ and giggles?

Dearest Neriandal, you should know that if a woman has the good graces and most excellent foresight to don lingerie, giggling is perhaps the second least-appropriate response available.

A woman in lingerie is wasted on a man like me, so giggling is always first!

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:46:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
THO...

The other part of that phrase would also be an inappropriate response, and even more of a mood-killer!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  17:49:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Of course giggling is inappropriate... until such a time when more privacy allows certain 'unchivalric' indiscretions.

The correct response whenever a lovely female in lingerie is visible is to immediately take out you camera phone and E-mail me a picture.

This way, I have all the more reason to keep kicking myself for having decided to forego this year's Gencon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  01:30:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The correct response whenever a lovely female in lingerie is visible is to immediately take out you camera phone and E-mail me a picture.
Hehe.. Markus, when I've found myself in such situations, I can tell you that picking up a camera phone is pretty much the LAST thing I'm thinking about.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 01:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  03:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hehe.. Markus, when I've found myself in such situations, I can tell you that picking up a camera phone is pretty much the LAST thing I'm thinking about.

Indeed. Besides, the cameras should already be set up and running!

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:12:32  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed. Besides, the cameras should already be set up and running!

nicely played sir

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:23:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed.

Though, having now realised just how far we've taken Ed's scroll off-topic, I think perhaps we should return to questions for the Bearded One.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 04:24:02
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:47:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
I'm curious as to what part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Ed wrote about. THO, might you ask him now that it's out? :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:58:09  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
:Slowly backs up the fire truck and prepares to get to hosing my fellow scribes yet again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  13:56:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just wanted to point out to everyone that the 2007 Spin A Yarn tale has finally been posted...

Introducing "The Weaver of Dreams"
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

And for those that have missed them, here's the links to past ones:

"Ladies Night at the Yawning Portal"

"Only a Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse, Part One"
"Only a Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse, Part Two"

"The Night Tymora Sneezed", main page (links to all parts)
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part One"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Two"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Three"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Four"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Five"
"The Night Tymora Sneezed, Part Six"

"The Lady of the Mists"

"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (Introduction)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 1)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 2)
"Every Revel a Masterpiece" (part 3)

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

I just wanted to point out to everyone that the 2007 Spin A Yarn tale has finally been posted...

Thanks WR for all the links - most appreciated

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  15:49:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Introducing "The Weaver of Dreams"
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
At last!

Though, I don't have time to read it just now. I'll leave that for the train-ride home.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  16:26:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Hmm, I'll be dipped. For a long time, the original Spin A Yarn tale was nowhere to be found. It had been posted on the WotC site, but then lost in one of their many website reorganizations. I have now relocated the link to it.

"Never A Warpig Born"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  16:46:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. I actually missed saving this one the first time around.

Good catch Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:12:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

createvmind, fire truck nicely played (puts on raingear and umbrella)

Ed, what can you give us on the elven realm that existed before
Uvaeren, north of it on the west side of the Desertmounth Mountains.
Does anybody know where info on the mts around the Dalelands can be
found, I especially need mineral wealth that can be mined.

Also what mineral wealth was mined under Myth Drannor?

Finally, does anybody have rough number on the military forces
in the Dales circa 1375 DR?
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  03:29:48  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message
No worries, I'm sure there are older queries than mine awaiting in the pile.
quote:

Ed replies:

Hi, chance87. Sorry for my delay in getting to your question.

Another that's been on my mind lately: What can you tell us of the major players in the Harpstar Wars that hasn't seen print? Specifically, individuals on either side who fell in the conflict.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:23:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Are Dove and Storm still around or did they die a painful horrible death??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wulgreth
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  11:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Wulgreth's Homepage Send Wulgreth a Private Message
Sorry if I repost from elsewhere but I was suggested to submit this question here.
I led my players to the underdark, right below Chondath yesterday. The map in the "Underdark" accessory shows a huge area, miles wide, called "The Pit of Jhaam". Anyone has an idea of what it contains? Nothing shown up on Internet, is it another "blank" area for DM to design? Can we have some hints?
I guess it my be Jhaam's graveyard crawling with psionic monsters, but is it a immense cavern filled with slime or..? How was it created?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Hi Ed. Hi Ms Hood.

Your reply about the Midsummer festival in Silverymoon from 2005 (archived here) includes a description of Shieldmeet that expands on the print-published one and looks as if it might have been adapted from a pre-existing writing. If that's so, and if you have equivalent texts accessible on the other seasonal festivals, making them available would be a very nice contribution to the work here.

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Aug 2008 22:33:21
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  00:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Just read Weaver of Dreams, and wanted to let Ed know I loved it. What a delightful story!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO

Where is the Realms would one find the most advanced architecture? Which cities have the most fantastically complex buildings that "wow" visitors? And lastly, which city has the most bizarre? My queries are for surface cities, but if you think an underdark city would fit the bill feel free to include it.

Thanks again and see ya next week!

Ed answered some architectural questions for me a couple of years ago, but I'm at one of those fancy-shmancy public library computers and can't post the text for you now; they'll be in the archived answers.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Wooly,

Silly! Why would they include all of the deities when they can peddle a book with "more" deities next year ... for about $35.00 (US)? That's exactly what they did with Faiths and Pantheons (read the last line of text before the "monster" deities chart).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 18 Aug 2008 23:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  02:34:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

Wooly,

Silly! Why would they include all of the deities when they can peddle a book with "more" deities next year ... for about $35.00 (US)? That's exactly what they did with Faiths and Avatars (read the last line of text before the "monster" deities chart).

You mean Faiths & Pantheons? Faiths & Avatars was a great product...

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  03:18:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Ed,

Really sorry I didn't get more of a chance to talk to you at Gen Con (as I was with the small group of CK scribes that saw you in the hallway just before the Secrets of the Realms seminar), but my dear daughter informs me that she may have had a chance to say hello to you, as she thinks you were the kind gentleman that complimented her rather elaborate face paint that she was sporting on Sunday.

Just wondering if she did indeed encounter the charm of the Bearded One?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000