Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  23:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(snip)

You mean Faiths & Pantheons? Faiths & Avatars was a great product...

That's exactly what I meant, and I have corrected my post. I like 'em both, but would have preferred that their titles weren't so similar.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 18 Aug 2008 23:41:22
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:36:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ed,

What can I say, when it comes to what a fan could want in meeting an author, your the best!
I was lucky enough to exchange a few words with you, but was impressed with that fact that no matter who came forward and what they asked, you make time for them and most everyone leaves you with a smile on their face, having a better day then when they met you!
Spin a Yarn was a hoot. It was crazy, with all you did it was like watching someone juggle cats on fire!! Kudos on the three or so musical interludes, brilliant. One song was easily recognizable, but your soprano work eluded me. I know our friend Sage would love to know what song that I found that I took 4 pages of notes and by no mans was able to get all the suggestions, I was going to share them in another scroll, but remembered that you said something about posting them along with the story. I will gladly hold onto them if you like, or if it's ok, I will share them.

Thank you.

My questions, which are not of urgent nature:

In recent Realms history who would be the Most vicious/ruthless rebel leader, who went on to "legitiment" recognized ruler?

What was the most staggering, unprobable victory(even if not winning that battle but leading to victory by the smaller of the two, ie Spartans vs. Persians) by a small/outmanned/underdog versus a huge unbeatable foe? I am looking for something that would even be common knowledge currently, still used as an example of caution.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  08:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I have several questions regarding The Winds of Netheril and Encyclopedia Arcane from the Netheril boxed set, by slade and Jim Butler:

1. On page 57 of Winds, Nightbringers have a list of arcane spells which they may access. I have several questions about that paragraph (number two with a bullet):

1.1 What is the Netherese name of seeming, which doesn't appear in the spell lists on pages 23 through 28?

1.2 What is the Netherese name of shadowcat, which doesn't appear in the spell lists on pages 23 through 28?

1.3 Vilate's whispering (a.k.a. "whispering wind") is listed only as a variator spell, while the rest of the list are mentalisms or inventives. By my understanding, no Netherese arcanist could understand all three types, so either Vilate's whispering was listed in error among the Nightbringer spells, or it is misplaced in Appendix I (or perhaps belongs to variations and another field, as other spells did). What is the correct placement of the spell?

1.4 The example given at the end of the paragraph seems to be in error: by my understanding, it should either read, "half their actual level (round fractions up)" or else the example should be of a 6th-level nightbringer. Which is correct, please? it will make a huge difference to one of my players.

2. In Encyclopedia Arcane several priestly spells are listed, but they are shown with standard AD&D "schools" instead of having their "winds" listed. Will someone please list the winds associated with these spells (for all the deities, please, not just Shar)? Again, it makes a big difference for one of my players: as I understand it, a nightbringer was only able to cast transcendent spells and spells from only one of zephyrous, buffering, prevailing, or sporadic (or are zephyrous and buffering winds available to all of them with the choice-by-alignment being only among the other three winds)?

Those are my questions and requests. As I have come to expect from slade, the product was terrific, and it is only now that these questions have cropped up and must be resolved before my player discovers these ancient secrets (which should happen within the next two weeks).

August 2008: Ahem. Well ... the other players copped out on the day the great discovery was to be made (at the end of my version of the Dungeon of Swords), so the player who was to make the discovery didn't (Dungeon of Swords -- one PC -- you do the math!) and then history had a hiccup so that the player who needed to know this doesn't need it any longer, but I am still curious. A year and a half having passed with my questions unanswered, I now pitch them to the Sublime Fount of All Realmslore, our own Master of the Green Wood. A little help, please, Ed?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  13:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
This may have been asked, but with Mystra's (Midnight) death, what happened to her Chosen? First of all, did the mages of them (Alustriel, The Simbul, Elminster) survive the Spellplague? If they did, did they retain their powers a Chosen (Silver Fire, Immortality, etc.)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:23:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book. El is still alive, as is the Simbul. Qilue's details are in the Lady Pen trilogy. Dove, and Storm, atm, are unknown. Laeral, I haven't heard anything about.

I'm missing one...

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

This may have been asked, but with Mystra's (Midnight) death, what happened to her Chosen? First of all, did the mages of them (Alustriel, The Simbul, Elminster) survive the Spellplague? If they did, did they retain their powers a Chosen (Silver Fire, Immortality, etc.)?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:32:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Syluné passed away in the Shadowdale adventure/sourcebook.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Aug 2008 16:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book. El is still alive, as is the Simbul. Qilue's details are in the Lady Pen trilogy. Dove, and Storm, atm, are unknown. Laeral, I haven't heard anything about.

I'm missing one...

Sylune, who is presumably still dead.

This just in, Sylune is still dead.

I guess Chosen lost most of their powers, including immortality. Silver Fire is also likely to have been lost.

How well that meshes with existing Realmslore, I'll not comment upon. Let's just say that retconning can be the best friend of those who don't really want to bother to learn the intricacies of a campaign setting before writing for it.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:37:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
By passed away, I mean she finally left the Prime Material plane behind and is no longer in the Realms.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:39:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
That's right, Sylune. :) Thanks guys. I was brain farting on who it was. Don't post when you are half awake. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:05:28  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Did they make mention of the Alvaerele Tasundrym, "The Silent Chosen"?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book.

When was this?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:29:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Sometime after the events of the spellplague.... it's in the new campaign book. Someone who owns that book might be able to comment better then I can. :)

quote:

Alustriel is dead, she died of natural causes according to the campaign book.

When was this?

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  07:07:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
It isn't specified where exactly the Simbul is (other than that she resides in the Dalelands).
Somehow though I feel she isn't in Shadowdale. It would probably be mentioned if that was the case.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  07:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
If Alustriel is dead, who leads the Silver Marches?
And how could Alustriel die of natural causes, but Elminster is still alive? He's like, 1000 years older.

Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  16:00:02  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message
quote:

And how could Alustriel die of natural causes, but Elminster is still alive? He's like, 1000 years older.

Alustriel didn't pass the WotC Survival Test: "Does this character make good money for us?"

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  16:11:43  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Her son (I forgot his name).
I can only guess why Alustriel died, but I have the feeling that she simply tired of being 'special' and see her loved ones die, and that she decided to live the remainder of her life as a mortal woman.
I have the feeling that Elminster did not have a choice, and that the Spellplague 'enforced' his immortality on him. The Simbul, otoh, may consciously have extended her life (magically), probably due to a sense of duty and less mortal ties.
That's just a guess though.
But maybe Ed is allowed to give us a bit of background on in-character motivations?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  16:22:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, this type of discussion is better left for another scroll. Let's keep this scroll free for Ed's return, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  17:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
To help get the threads back on track, I'll post a question (which may well be answered in print before Ed can get to it):

Can you give us a few names of "current day" Realmsians related to Alustriel or the Seven? Given that Alustriel had more than twelve sons, there's a high degree of probability that she's the ancestor for many a leader or leading-figure in "today's" North. So any hints you might drop on the progeny of the Tall Ones and/or any others related to her sisters would be appreciated.

Steven
who would share more about Khelben's and Laeral's twins but for a pesky NDA

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  17:27:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend... Steven

That sirrah, is just plain evil.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:45:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

From what I understand, from a part of the city section that was quoted to me, Silverymoon is listed as an Elven realm now.

Unless the book has a mistake in it, which is possible.

Edit: Sorry Sage - page 57 was showing as the last page, until I posted. Consider me chastised...

Double Edit: - Are NDAs the new Uber-Villain in 4e?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Aug 2008 18:51:00
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Are there going to be more Elminster books in 4e?
And what other places are supposed to have survived the Spellplague and 100 Years of Chaos? What about the Bloodstone Lands, Cormyr, Myth Drannor, Aglarond, Shadowdale?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 20 Aug 2008 19:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  19:02:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Comings soon:

Elminster in his Dotage

Sorry, I couldn't resist. El's one of my favorite characters (not just Realms, but all around) and I don't take kindly to how it sounds like he's been put in a retirement home.

I'm sure Ed's got a ton of stories he can still tell about El, the question is whether or not WotC would want to publish historical Elminster.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:40:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

And what other places are supposed to have survived the Spellplague and 100 Years of Chaos? What about the Bloodstone Lands, Cormyr, Myth Drannor, Aglarond, Shadowdale?
The second question is one that Ed cannot answer (NDAs), nor is it one appropriate to this thread.

There are dozens of threads all over the Internet covering the changes, but the one I am most familiar with is the one currently being maintained by Lord Karsus (Dagnirion) over at WotC.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:02:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I think a new scroll is in order for what happened to(insert character/place/thing/region) after the spellplague, to keep Ed's scroll tidy and uncluttered with these legitiment, if misplaced questions.

Great qestion Steven, wish I had thought of it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Then what about my second question? Can anyone answer it?

Never Mind, I've read what the FR Forums says.
the part regarding Elminster was intriguing:
quote:
Elminster: Hears voices in his head that he fears magic will release, due to ravages from the Spellplague. He no longer practices the Art, and has isolated himself, where others believe he is an insane hermit. He is a threat to no one as long as he does not cast magic. The consequences of this would be devastating.

I liked the follow-up:
quote:
The Simbul: Faked her death and now lives in the Dalelands, in disguise, presumably caring and watching over Elminster.

Still, this opens many new questions and possibilities. What are these voices? Why are they so destructive? Why would magic release them? What is so special in Elminster that he is the only magic-user who cannot use magic? Is there any way to cure/heal this problem? If so, what is it? If an ascent (mortal becoming a god) happens, and the mortal becomes kind of 'new Mystra', will this help? (In 3.5, most gods were level 40... El was 35, last I saw his stats... Fighter 1
Rogue 2
Cleric of Mystra 3
Wizard 24
Archmage 5 )

Edited by - Menelvagor on 20 Aug 2008 21:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:50:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
All of Mystra's chosen were given part of her essence. From Ed's ToT trilogy that detailed what Elminster was up to during Mystra's death, it was shown that he was temporarily given most of her power until Midnight was ready to ascend.

Methinks that El got a big shock when Mystra died and the voices are various magic-users killed by the Spellplague and, probably, but not likely, some of the various magic gods that died (Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight, Azuth, Velsharoon) and, if he accesses magic, the various personalities would try to redirect his actions.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  00:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

To help get the threads back on track, I'll post a question (which may well be answered in print before Ed can get to it):

Can you give us a few names of "current day" Realmsians related to Alustriel or the Seven? Given that Alustriel had more than twelve sons, there's a high degree of probability that she's the ancestor for many a leader or leading-figure in "today's" North. So any hints you might drop on the progeny of the Tall Ones and/or any others related to her sisters would be appreciated.

See, this is the problem of only saying "Alustriel had 12 sons" and naming some of them, and never mentioning the fact that she also had daughters in the published Realms. No one seems to know (or remember or even extrapolate that it must be probable) that she's had daughters too.

For the sake of my sanity, Ed, could you also include female offspring in this question too (as in her daughters, and those (male and female) descended from them)? And did Storm ever get the child she craved before she died (or whatever, we still don't have a definitive answer on her fate)? Or is that still covered by a big fat shiny NDA?

quote:

Steven, I don't suppose the NDA can danced around enough to give us an idea of the twin's gender? Or if they're fraternal or identical twins? (So far the weight's been on the male side, it's about time we got daughters rather than sons in the 4e Realms. )

Speaking of NDAs, I'm really hoping that some day soon 3rd Ed and earlier NDAs will get lifted, just so we non-moving-with-the-edition folk can finally have some loose ends tied up.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  01:11:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

See, this is the problem of only saying "Alustriel had 12 sons" and naming some of them, and never mentioning the fact that she also had daughters in the published Realms. No one seems to know (or remember or even extrapolate that it must be probable) that she's had daughters too.

For the sake of my sanity, Ed, could you also include female offspring in this question too (as in her daughters, and those (male and female) descended from them)? And did Storm ever get the child she craved before she died (or whatever, we still don't have a definitive answer on her fate)? Or is that still covered by a big fat shiny NDA?
Well, Ed has confirmed she has daughters, but notes that they've received little attention in published Realmslore. There may be an NDA reason for that.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  01:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Well, Ed has confirmed she has daughters, but notes that they've received little attention in published Realmslore. There may be an NDA reason for that.

Ummm.. I though I'd kind of implied that in my post by saying "only mentioning she has sons in published lore"... I know Ed's mentioned (briefly) daughters here, mostly because I'm pretty sure it was in answer to a question of mine. Sorry for not being clearer.

I don't understand why an NDA would cover her daughters, but not her sons. (I suppose there could be an absolutely amazing reason for this - perhaps one or more of Alustriel's daughters is the result of a dalliance with a deity or perhaps an evil overlord or something. But we may never know.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  02:06:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
No worries Zandilar. I understood what you meant. I was just including a note to Ed's previous discussion on the subject in case other scribes were interested in the various tidbits about Alustriel's daughters.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000