Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  17:50:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring you Ed’s Realmslore response to a post from createvmind, from back in late January of this year: “Hello All, Ed I assume that sentient magic items fall into select categories, items that know they were once living creatures, items that don't know they were once living beings and items that are coded to believe they are alive. Could you elaborate on this and if any of these groups can go insane from boredom, confinement in tomb or bottom of ocean or having disruptive magics cast on it to alter it's original purpose. Do they actually have the capacity for emotions or is this a false imprint given to help create a personality. What about the passage of time, does an item view times in hours and days or some other type of cycle to help stave off the possible long years of inactivity? Any bit of knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated.”
Ed replies:

Hi, createvmind! There are indeed sentient magic items of all three categories you identify, the first category being by far the most numerous (because the most popular magical methods of creating sentient items incorporate the minds of living beings, fused into items either by force, or willingly as their bodies begin to die or are so badly shattered that they agree to anything to be delivered from the pain.
All sentient magic items can indeed go insane. Boredom, however, is rarely the cause, because most items are constrained by spells (directly attempting to guard against insanity through this means) from easily marking the passage of time, often being enspelled to “turn off” (go into torpor or even unwitting stasis) when certain conditions are met (such as darkness plus immobility, continuing for a certain length of time). Disruptive magics strong enough to succeed in altering a magic item’s powers, trigger conditions, or original purposes certainly could cause insanity, but note that successfully altering such things is very tricky; low-power spells are simply going to fail, and sufficiently powerful ones must be very precisely and carefully worded and cast, or they’ll cause unintended effects (such as the explosive destruction of the item).
Sentient minds do indeed have the capacity for real emotions, and due to their essential frustration at being unaware to easily affect the world around them, tend to be obsessive. They can easily exhibit fervent, undying love or hatred, brooding and scheming on ways to bind love ones to them or betray detested beings. (On the other hand, the majority of sentient magic items exhibit a cynical detachment rooted in that same inability to affect the world: “Oh, dear. Another prince who ignored me, and paid the consequences. Throw me down and fall on me, you fool, then roll aside to finish your dying. Anything to get as much of your blood as possible off me before you start feeding the flies. My, my, so easily are dreams of conquest throw aside; you should have listened to me when I warned you to be more cautious out in the woods at night . . . but do they ever listen? Really?”)

So saith Ed. Well, that was fun. Remind me to contemplate a second career as an enchanted item. One that doesn’t need batteries (yes, spare me the comments; I’ve already wallowed in all of those possibilities, thank you).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  18:57:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks THO and Ed for that info. And to Gelcur, Asgetrion, Damian, and the rest of Keep, once the PC's find out the info, of course the info can be made public.

Thanks again for understanding.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  19:30:20  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Ed,

Its great to know no matter how close I think I am on assuming what your reply would be I'm always astounded by your replies and glad for it.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  23:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Aha! I'm guessing, from Kuje's post above, that Ed's said a little something privately about that Drawn Swords - Berdusk gate . . .
Which brings me to a question of my own about Berdusk: would exiled former nobles of Cormyr, fugitives from justice from Sembia and Waterdeep (I'm not talking murderers, I mean business swindlers and the like), and similar "personae non grata elsewhere" feel safe dwelling there openly? Or would the Harpers "do something about them"? Or let bounty hunters and government agents from the jurisdictions they ran from or were expelled from be allowed to openly go after them, in Berdusk?
Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  01:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
I would like to ask Mister Greenwood something about the evil deities and their priesthoods in the Realms: it's been stated that several evil clergies (of Malar, Loviatar, etc.) can and do at times operate openly in non-evil communities, such as those in Sembia or Cormyr. While this will vary from place to place, just how well do the clerics get along with local laws that might otherwise make their worship difficult, and how do the wiser clerics and local authorities ensure that things don't get out of hand, with either lawless adventurers or foolish priests starting riots?

Any such information about the Church of Malar would be especially helpful. I remember them as being present when Azoun was fighting for Cormyr (and getting quite a bit of respect for being CE butchers), and when one adds in the sort of behavior they've shown in the past, like breeding monsters to turn loose on the local area or driving wolf packs through farming villages in a hunt, I wonder how and why the Cormyrean crown puts up with them.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  06:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
May 27, 2006: Hi again, all. This time, the Sage of the Greenwood looks at RevJest's recent query: "In the supplement "The North", on page 12, it states that a stone plaque was found on the Star Mounts with the inscription: "iqebaest Vhalraetaerl". Can you shed some light on what this means, and what it's all about?"

Ed replies: I'm afraid not. That NDA still firmly applies. Sorry.

Has this NDA not since disappeared? Can you expound further now?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

IceTroll
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  21:28:38  Show Profile  Visit IceTroll's Homepage Send IceTroll a Private Message
Hello, Mr. Greenwood.

I think Castlemourn is a great setting, and I'm into 4th Edition right now, so I've started converting Castlemourn into 4th Edition.

As it looks like you are insanely busy, I won't expect a reply. However, if you feel like it, I'd like to hear your thoughts and advice on the best way to handle a Castlemourn 4th Edition conversion, as well as tell me if I'm going in the right direction or not with what I have so far; the Blogger containing my backup is in the website info on my profile. I had finished the golaunt and thaele, a list of gnome feats, and was almost done with the buccaneer when my word processor crashed - causing me to lose it all. I should be able to have that rewritten and more before you get around to checking it out.

Edited by - IceTroll on 14 Jun 2008 21:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  07:26:45  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again! My question is about paladin Orders in the Realms, mainly the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart (from The Complete Paladin's Handbook, page 117). I know that in the game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn that a chapter house is located Athkatla, but I was wondering if Cormyr, Waterdeep, or any of the other cities had a chapter house for the Order, and where the mother house is located of the Order. Thank you so much for your time!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  13:34:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
May 27, 2006: Hi again, all. This time, the Sage of the Greenwood looks at RevJest's recent query: "In the supplement "The North", on page 12, it states that a stone plaque was found on the Star Mounts with the inscription: "iqebaest Vhalraetaerl". Can you shed some light on what this means, and what it's all about?"

Ed replies: I'm afraid not. That NDA still firmly applies. Sorry.

Has this NDA not since disappeared? Can you expound further now?

Keep in mind most of Ed's NDAs don't have expiration dates. They remain in effect until someone specifically tells him otherwise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  15:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
A quick question for Ed or THO:

My gaming group will soon start a campaign set in the town of Jalanthar (near Sundabar & Silverymoon) in the Year of the Ageless One (1479 D.R.). Two of us are playing elves, particularly a wood/copper elf and a moon elf. I'm curious to know if elves in the post-Spellplague Realms are more likely to worship human deities like Mielikki or Silvanus or if they are still primarily followers of the elven pantheon.

Thanks!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  00:56:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

What beings prevent those who hunt sea creatures from bringing about the extinction of the whales and such? Is it Umbrelee herself or sea-druids of various pantheons or both?
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  03:51:19  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

What beings prevent those who hunt sea creatures from bringing about the extinction of the whales and such? Is it Umbrelee herself or sea-druids of various pantheons or both?

I might be able to tackle this, actually.

The current technological level of the Realms (as far as I'm aware, a cross of Renaissance and Medieval levels) would restrict most whaling ventures, especially with the onslaught of other dangerous creatures in the realms. Aside from your mentioned sea druids and deities, there are also things like dragon turtles, actual dragons, and all manner of powerful deep sea monsters that present a great deal of danger to any would-be group of whalers. In addition, most of the ships (save those of very powerful merchant nations like Amn) stick to the coast.

I'm not sure whether compasses and other sorts of navigational technology are available, but that could also be a limiting factor. In addition, weaponry could prove to be a problem, although I know that ships can be armed with heavy medieval artillery that could probably wound or kill even large whales.

That's my two cents, spawned largely from a game in which I was a member of a Forgotten Realms anti-poaching cabal. The DM took the liberty of adding a bit of Lovecraftian myth to the game. That was not a squid attacking the whalers' ship... but we neglected to offer our assistance.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  18:48:50  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
HEY THO! I'm finally starting to pore over Volo's Guide to All things Magical for my 2nd edition campaign and the questions are coming up fast and furious. If you can answer any of them, please do, and if not please send them on to Ed.

1] Several references are made to "ground up" or powdered gems, and I know my wizard is going to want to do this. I can't for the life of me find any good references to how long this takes. I'm assuming the gems are small (1 carat or less); did the Knights ever do any grinding/powdering of gems (or have someone do it for them)? If so, how much time did that take. Or did Ed ever create a spell that would accomplish this act?

2] I love the concept of how the star ruby can be used for healing purposes when spells are cast on it. Did Ed ever come up with more of these examples; specifically my wizard PC would like to know if there are any gem/spell combinations for achieving "the epitome of strength" or the "epitome of combat ability" . So would I, for that matter!

3] I remember in several of Ed's older novels, various people crushing gems which release spells. In 2nd ed, are these gems created by using the Focal stone spell, and then casting the Dweomerflow spell and the desired spell into the gemstone? Or is it some other way entirely?

As always, thanks for any help you can give! As an aside, it's been an incredible delight to re-read Ed's work of those years. So much information and tantalizing hints packed into everything he writes!

thom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  01:37:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message

Hello, all. Great questions, Thom and everyone, and I’ve been obediently shunting them Ed’s way. He is (as usual) insanely busy, but has broken e-silence long enough to send me some replies for Keep scribes.
To this from createvmind: “Hello all, What beings prevent those who hunt sea creatures from bringing about the extinction of the whales and such? Is it Umberlee herself or sea-druids of various pantheons or both?”
Ed replies:

GoCeraf has it exactly right. The current numbers of whalers and “reach” of their technology is very far from threatening extinction. Simply put: as things presently stand, they CAN’T overfish any stocks (that and pollution/poisoning/habitat destruction are the key causes of rapid population decline, and in the Realms such rapid declines just aren’t happening; moderate population declines can be offset by increased breeding, keeping the numbers of whales and all other edible aquatic life more or less stable (with the gauge far over in the “plentiful” range).

So saith Ed. And to this, from IceTroll: “Hello, Mr. Greenwood. I think Castlemourn is a great setting, and I'm into 4th Edition right now, so I've started converting Castlemourn into 4th Edition.
As it looks like you are insanely busy, I won't expect a reply. However, if you feel like it, I'd like to hear your thoughts and advice on the best way to handle a Castlemourn 4th Edition conversion, as well as tell me if I'm going in the right direction or not with what I have so far; the Blogger containing my backup is in the website info on my profile. I had finished the golaunt and thaele, a list of gnome feats, and was almost done with the buccaneer when my word processor crashed - causing me to lose it all. I should be able to have that rewritten and more before you get around to checking it out.”
Ed replies:

Hmm. I’m not sure how best to answer this, other than to hint that Castlemourn isn’t “done with,” as far as Margaret Weis Productions is concerned (meaning: don’t be surprised if they’re busy with the same sort of work you’re contemplating, and might release it officially in time to come). Being as they’ve bought the exclusive right to do this, I’m left not being able to legally encourage you or look over what you’ve done. It’s out of my hands right now, and in the capable grasp of Jamie Chambers. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Who will return soon with more words of wise Ed-ness.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  03:18:06  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Well, what can I say ... just finished Swords of Dragonfire and if anyone around wants to read a really great novel about Cormyr and the Knights, DO NOT hesitate. A raving review will be posted over at the German DnD-Gate ... and rest assured, raving is not something this revisor utilizes very often.

Malla Hooded One ... one question. When did Ed get the leave from the Wizards to write as expessively on the females' behaviour (bare here, there and everywhere and very well aware of it) as he did in this book? What a change from many other a novel. Uhm ... which is not to say that I'd promote somesuch in the future, but this element of the novel was a surprise inclusion and very ... refreshing.

(To my defence, someone else did the review on Knight of Myth Drannor I, so I'll have to wait till I lay my hands on that book to see how the females behaved therein.)

Aluve, Zanan!

(PS: Did Pennae ever expressed her thanks to that Chauntea priest "in person"? Have we any clue who that was, BTW?)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 18 Jun 2008 16:37:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:00:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you for those words of praise, Zanan. I loved DRAGONFIRE too! Your post has been forwarded to Ed for his (hopefully quick) response.
IceTroll, Ed literally doesn't know re. Castlemourn. He isn't sure if Margaret Weis Productions will "officially be at" Origins (does any scribe here know?), but suspects someone from MWP will be attending, and he'll try to find out specifics re. what he can tell you then. So . . . by July 2nd or so, you should get a response here from him. He doesn't want your work to be wasted, and admires you for doing it all over again after your computer troubles. So hang in there, and we'll see . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Lady THO,
Any idea if Ed has been approached about a possible video game based on Castlemourn or if he has been approached for any FR lore for future video games (akin to Salvatore writing the story for Demon Stone)?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:10:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Alisttair, I don't know. I don't THINK so, but of course Ed is sometimes legally prevented from discussing matters under negotiation. So of course I'll send your post along to him, for his much wiser reply.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:32:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
All love for Ed aside, I doubt Castlemourn has the established fan-base to warrant licensing from a computer-game company.

Not that it wouldn't be GREAT, but unless they also entitled it Ed Greenwood's Castlemourn, I doubt very many people would make the connection, and the licensee could simply create their own world from scratch and save themselves the money.

No negativity toward Ed's creative genius, mind you,; it's simply the way things work in the RW.

Thanks for the all answers THO, and also for the questions from the rest of you...

"Druids of Umberlee" definately has some possiblities..

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2008 21:22:51
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  21:19:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thank you for those words of praise, Zanan. I loved DRAGONFIRE too! Your post has been forwarded to Ed for his (hopefully quick) response.
IceTroll, Ed literally doesn't know re. Castlemourn. He isn't sure if Margaret Weis Productions will "officially be at" Origins (does any scribe here know?), but suspects someone from MWP will be attending, and he'll try to find out specifics re. what he can tell you then. So . . . by July 2nd or so, you should get a response here from him. He doesn't want your work to be wasted, and admires you for doing it all over again after your computer troubles. So hang in there, and we'll see . . .
love,
THO

I'd also like to say that Dragonfire was really good, but I have to point out one minor matter of criticism. In my opinion the book was just a bit too hectic (the constant running by the knights from pretty damn everything). I enjoyed it, but felt rather exhausted in the end.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  19:05:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring another Realmslore reply from Ed, this time to this query, from the1eyedking: “Hello Ed
Before I get to my question I wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and to provide us with a living breathing view into the realms.
Ed is the reason I started playing D&D, the PHB taught me the rules, but Ed's stories taught me how to have an adventure.
Anyway enough rambling, my questions is: How are the contracts to supply (with weapons/armor and general supplies) the Purple Dragons and other armed forces/local militas handled?
In my campaign Cormyr and the city of Shade are at war, with the war going poorly for Cormyr. The characters (who are Epic Level) are willing to aid Cormyr in exchange for becoming part of the landed nobility and securing their wealth through Government contracts.
Thanks in advance.”
Ed replies:

Hi! You’re very welcome! If my stories have done that [happy dance] then they worked!
[Roar of pleasure]
As for military contracts in Cormyr, they are officially awarded at the pleasure of the monarch (or regent), but in the past have in practice been handled by Vangerdahast. Since the Steel Regent came to power, she has increasingly been taking a personal interest into all Crown contracts (cutting through some minor but long-standing corruption among lower-level courtiers, and Vangey’s style of wheeling and dealing alike). Caladnei was morally uncomfortable with such practices, and as an outsider knew she was very likely to create problems by mishandling things anyway, through not “knowing” situations and the history behind them, so she urged Alaphondar and Alusair to step in.
Yes, Alusair is quite capable of making the sort of agreements your characters are interested in; she doesn’t mind at all having newcomers in the nobility who are actually going to do something to directly benefit the realm.
However, she will make it VERY clear (personally, in private) that any attempts to swindle the Crown of Cormyr, or any behaviour that makes it clear that the characters aren’t willing to become loyal nobles of Cormyr, but merely “self-interested nobles of convenience who want the status and the money, but not the obedience to the Crown or putting Cormyr first” will be richly rewarded in a negative way: Alusair will personally see the characters suffer or be slain, and will arrange to have others take care of this if she is killed or incapacitated (remember, she can call on Harpers, various adventuring bands, and Vangey’s dragon guardians to act for her - - or she could just call in some lesser or exiled nobles, and offer them a chance to gain exalted status if they “take care of” the disloyal characters.
In other words, if your PCs are willing to become passionate defenders of Cormyr, Alusair is perfectly happy to have them become nobles and earn her trust and with it the status of exalted senior nobles, confidants, and even friends (lovers?). However, betray her or the realm (and Caladnei’s War Wizards will be snooping constantly, to see what the PCs REALLY think and are up to), and she will turn on them like the proverbial enraged biting snake.

So saith Ed. Pointing the way towards a VERY interesting Cormyr-based campaign. He’ll soon be back with more, promise.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  22:57:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you Ed (and THO),

Cormyr does indeed seem to still be THE place to revolve one's campaign around - you can go from killing Goblins in the forests, to running your own fiefdom at epic levels, and everything in-between.

I'm glad that the designer's saw fit to keep Cormyr pretty much as Ed intended it - A shining Beacon of light surrounded by threats.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jun 2008 01:32:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  23:25:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. This time I bring Ed’s answer to a query from Jamallo Kreen, in reference to this quotation:

At that time, Ed replied: I'm afraid not. That NDA still firmly applies. Sorry.

Jamallo Kreen recently asked: “Has this NDA not since disappeared? Can you expound further now?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Jamallo. I’m afraid not, sorry. The NDA is fiction-related (obviously, pertaining to fiction being written or planned for future writing by another author), and even if plans have changed and the NDA is no longer really necessary, I haven’t been told anything to that effect . . . which of course means the NDA is still in full force.
Now, down the years, there have been quite a few “orphaned” NDAs that have never been rescinded, even though events have made them clearly obsolete. Like silly outdated laws still on the books in real-world countries, however, they are “still there,” and I must get specific permission to ignore them (or formal assurances that they no longer exist). I will ask about this one (many people worked on The North box behind the scenes, Paul Jaquays had some plans for the Star Mounts when he first worked on them in FR5, and I recall Murray Leeder wrote a novel featuring this area; as you can see, things get complicated fast when checking old NDAs), and let you know when I can speak freely. If you hear nothing, assume I still can’t . . .

So saith Ed. Explaining one of the sadder details of working creatively on the Realms. Things were SO much simpler when it was just Ed’s world, and a query from any of us launched him into several days of wild creativity, and a whole new little pocket or topic or aspect of the Realms was suddenly glowing on a platter in front of us . . .
Ah, those were the days. I’ll just adjust my false teeth and squeak away into the corner with my walker to examine my original three little D&D booklets . . . [ahem, I’m JOKING here, scribes. Joking, okay? Please take it not amiss.]
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  00:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Alas, my family oh-so-efficiently threw away my "three little books" (4th printing, I think, plus one or two supplements AND my original Chainmail book) when cleaning my room ages ago, because "he doesn't play with these any more." *sigh*

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

the1eyedking
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  08:53:14  Show Profile  Visit the1eyedking's Homepage Send the1eyedking a Private Message
Hello again,

First of all thanks for the quick reply, that was exactly the information that I needed. However it has lead to more questions (I think this is how conversations with Ed can go on for years);

1) What is the proper "etiquette" for dealing with spies from allied governments or organizations ?

My characters are reluctant to kill or maim such individuals as it would anger the organization that sent them. They have so far used Embarrassment on those they have caught (Teleporting them home naked, Prestadigatoral tattoos, and Geas's to sing bawldy songs or tell dirty jokes/stories to their superiors), if they join the nobility the number of spies they come into contact with will most likely rise as they come under the scrutiny of Harpers, War Wizards, and agents of the Steel Regent.

2) How much autonomous power/control are nobles, who are in charge of dangerous areas (Frontiers, Borderlands, and War Zones), given ?

3) The War Wizards are a large, well organized, well funded, national group. How would they react as an organization if they have to combat a group similar to them ?

I also hope to see you at Gencon this year, "Spin a yarn" is one of my favorite events.

Thanks

Question Everything.

Edited by - the1eyedking on 21 Jun 2008 09:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  17:27:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Heya Ed,

We haven't had a topic about spellfire in a couple years and so I'm asking, since we have a thread about it currently on Keep, in the Sages of Realmslore section.

What happens to a spellfire weilder if they leave Realmspace. Basically the thread has boiled down to this: do they lose their powers since they are no longer connected to the Weave and raw magic or can they find an alternate source of power to tap into to use their powers much like an arcane or divine caster can while on the outer planes....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  19:43:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Greetings Everyone!

Here is another stack of questions for the

With the stack of growing questions, are we ever going
to get you to a point where you will despair in answering
everything? If not yet, then I will get to work. We'll
break you yet, old man.

Do elves have a prophecy about resurrection in the future?
I don't understand why they are so deadly when it comes
to the disturbance of their dead, like getting old magic items just to help them survive the present (especially ones they despise like the Aryvandaar dead).

In the fiction, we see instances of prophecy or future omens
through the eyes of characters and deities having foreknowledge
of events. How have used this in light of deities having "all-
knowing" sphere of expanded awareness. Is seeing the future unrelated
to the Weave? I ask because I think about Blackstaff and his visions
and the female good drow god whose name I cannot spell (stupid lack of spellcheck on this forum).

In -1720 DR, Netherise wizards arrive in blasted Uvaeren die within
2 years of uncovering a hidden library cache and setting off defenses.
Is this a pointer to the Barrowfields in Mistledale?

Was Sakaala of the 7 Rings and her three apprentices avariels?
What were the lessons the 7 Rings wizard school trying to teach others, or what was their philosophy? When they left Myth Drannor, were they heading for Mt Sundabar?

What info can we get out of you on the wife of Nezras the traitor,
Raejiisa Sicafei?

May we have some information on the destruction of the Mythal city in the Yuirwood talked about in FoMD but never detailed out?

Boy, I am a bad speller, sorry everone who say the 1 edition of this post.

Edited by - althen artren on 23 Jun 2008 00:11:35
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  20:49:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oho! althen, some of those questions are "campaign secrets" Ed has been avoiding answering for his home players (such as, ahem, me). However, I will send this along to him without comment, in hopes he'll let slip something I can use in the "home" campaign. One never knows . . .

love,
THO
P.S. Ed will soon be on his way down to Origins, and will fall e-silent as usual. (Conventions are hectic enough without checking e-mail all the time.) I will probably do so, too, as I try to sneak off from work on some "mission" or other that just happens to take me to Columbus, this coming weekend. However, we still have tomorrow.
P.P.S. I think Realms fans will really enjoy THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS (the third and last Knights of Myth Drannor book) when it's finally released. Me, I'm waiting to see what fictional delights Ed's pen gives us next.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  00:08:24  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
As often as is stated as you guys get together,
I would have figured that he would have let some of the
cats out of the bag. I would of in his place, if for no other
reason that to see the *face-slap* "WE ARE SO STUPID, we should
have seen that one!" expression on my players face.

(gollum voice)
Ssssecretssss? Lovessss ME ssssome ssecretess. Do tell.

Somthing tells me that these questions will stay in the dark
secluded corner of the basement for a looong time. Probably get
some spider webs on it and stuff.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000