Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  01:06:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oho! althen, some of those questions are "campaign secrets" Ed has been avoiding answering for his home players (such as, ahem, me). However, I will send this along to him without comment, in hopes he'll let slip something I can use in the "home" campaign. One never knows . . .

love,
THO
P.S. Ed will soon be on his way down to Origins, and will fall e-silent as usual. (Conventions are hectic enough without checking e-mail all the time.) I will probably do so, too, as I try to sneak off from work on some "mission" or other that just happens to take me to Columbus, this coming weekend. However, we still have tomorrow.
P.P.S. I think Realms fans will really enjoy THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS (the third and last Knights of Myth Drannor book) when it's finally released. Me, I'm waiting to see what fictional delights Ed's pen gives us next.

Perhaps I will see you there. I have these dice I'd like you to hide...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  02:30:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Do you now? Purrr . . . you interest me, sir.
And we wouldn't want the corners of those dice to get knocked off and worn down, would we?
You'd better insert them for me, oh so carefully.
One more reason to visit Columbus . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  06:37:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Do you now? Purrr . . . you interest me, sir.
And we wouldn't want the corners of those dice to get knocked off and worn down, would we?
You'd better insert them for me, oh so carefully.
One more reason to visit Columbus . . .
love,
THO

For the love of Torm... make sure you wash your hands, and dice, often during that weekend...
Go to Top of Page

the1eyedking
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  20:34:54  Show Profile  Visit the1eyedking's Homepage Send the1eyedking a Private Message
Whoa, Origins sounds like more fun than I thought. To bad I can only make Gencon and Dragoncon this year.

Question Everything.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  21:25:00  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
OOOOhhhh Hoody One.

How much I would give to get you alone in
your hotel room and get a hold of your...

]

game notes. Boy I bet that would be some good times.
(And to all of you that thought something different,
SHAME ON YOU.)

Edited by - althen artren on 23 Jun 2008 23:18:06
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  21:43:35  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
;Sighing as I slowly turn the cold water on and begin hosing down all present with leering grins upon their faces.

Now now children

ED, where are the chardalyn mines and who controls them, would the knowledge of these gems being useful to spellcaster be considered common knowledge outside of the caster community? Any info on these gems, if a gem with a stored spell is damaged by something or spell does it cause the chardalyn to release its stored spell?

Are extraplanar creatures aware of these gems and do these gems exist on other planes like the elemental plane of earth? Can one make considerable profit by trying to mine within that plane and what obstacles might they meet if the local denizens realize this is what is going on?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  23:25:34  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Createvmind,

I, sir am indignant!
I have made it plainly obvious that I am only
after the Masked for her, her, ummmmmmmmm,
papers, yeah that its her papers.
I have only the best of intensions,
if not entirely legal because of her NDA's.
Boy, if I could get ahold of those NDA's.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I must echo the request for information on why the elves are so fussy about their dead and the tombs of the same. If elves can't ordinarily be resurrected, why are they concerned about people mucking about in the ancestral tombs (excluding, -- of course! -- the ones with Bad Things sealed away in them)? Why do they even bury things with their dead? There must be some powerful reason for protecting their ancestral tombs if some are willing to become baelnorns. Why not let some adventurer plunder old elven tombs if he promises not to animate any of the dead?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
(If I've asked this of Ed, please forgive me and just sweep this question away. I know I've mentioned it here at Candlekeep, but can't recall if I ever asked Ed.)

Do archliches and baelnorns retain the capacity to smell and taste? Van Richten has said that your ordinary run-of-the-domain Ravenloft lich can't any longer, and I suppose that his logic applies to most rotting liches, but what about the good and neutral liches in the Realms whose bodies are still (more or less) intact?

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  02:51:49  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
;Turns up hose pressure and points it directly at althen,

Do tell.

:)
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:30:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Don't hate the player, hate the dice
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:45:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone! Ed tells me this will be his last lore reply until he returns from Origins.
Re. createvmind and althen artren, he has just this to say:

Hose job, eh? Can’t say as I’m surprised. When the lovely Lady Hooded gets up to her tricks, hoses are usually required eventually.
Gotta add this: if you sold that form of dice bag, I’m sure it’d be popular. Ahem.

. . . And with that off his er, chest, the Creator of the Realms applies himself to a Berdusk query by Kuje:
“I can't think of anything else at the moment that I need unless Ed wants to supply some fare/drinks that are typical to some of the ale houses?”
(Sage, don’t worry, he’ll get to your additional question re. the alehouses; he just ran out of time because he had to sort the recycling, do the garbage, pack the car, and do the dishes.)
Ed replies:

I’ll have to make this brief, and leave the food until next time. Okay, here we go:
“Small beer” is generally sneered at in Berdusk, because so much good beer is made locally.
The alehouses serve “red” (orange-red, fiery [peppery] hard cider), a fiery, black, almost licorice-tasting smoky stout known as “Old Dark,” and a lot of light ales.
These ales, known as “goldens,” are wheat beers sweetened with honey and flavored with all manner of local berries. They include:

* Annasker: named for the family who first made it, a sparkling, pinkish pale ale that tastes sweet but tart (like lemonade mixed with several berry juices)

* Belbuck: yes, a halfling-brewed beer, and by far the most popular: sweet, translucent green [yes!] because it’s full of fermented herbs that make it very strong [alcoholic] and yet minty [like spearmint, it clears other tastes, and chills the throat like menthol]; deceptive, so that many a traveler has drunk deeply before feeling the effects, and being unable to rise and walk across a taproom unaided

* Darndarr: a “sandy” or “nutty” flavoured beer, that goes silkily well with both seared meats and fish. Usually served by the jug (small earthenware jugs that collapse into powder if flung ot swung against something hard, making these preferred “drench people” missiles in pranks), this ale keeps very well, even out in the sun, and so many locals have crocks and kegs of it around the house for casual drinking and for use as a marinade or to “jug” perishables in, for longer keeping

* Helmatoss: a sweet, oily, clear pale ale that sits heavily on the stomach. Some say it was named for the long-dead tavernkeeper Alanra Helmatoss, others say its name comes from the violent vomiting it causes in many who over-imbibe. It is known (Harpers have tested and proved this true) to neutralize many poisons and settle many raging acidic stomachs, and is definitely an acquired taste. Those who have acquired it often drink great amounts (where one large tankard will leave a first-timer spewing) and swear by it. Warning: highly flammable!

* Zeskorr: a dark brown pale ale that tastes of salt (and, some say, fish; others just say it tastes “strange”). Again, an acquired taste apt to upset the stomachs of the unwary, but deeply enjoyed by those who do like it

The alehouses also serve a lot of wine, and many beers brought by caravan from all over Faerûn. More when I get back from my travels.
Faerûn Forever!

So saith Ed. Whom I hope to see in Columbus, though my superiors will probably try to keep me too busy elsewhere to swing by. However, if you should happen to see althen artren striding past with a bag of dice and a gleam in his eye, follow him . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:53:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(Sage, don’t worry, he’ll get to your additional question re. the alehouses; he just ran out of time because he had to sort the recycling, do the garbage, pack the car, and do the dishes.)
That's fine. The descriptions of the various ales will tide me over for the time being.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  04:55:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Rock, thanks Ed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  05:07:55  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
I was once bitten by a snake hiding in a garden hose. Unpleasant.

On a note unrelated to hypothermia and snake bites, what sorts of fashion (including formal, around the house, etc.) could one expect to see during the autumn months in Halruaa? More specifically, what about in Halarahh?

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  08:20:25  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:

* Helmatoss: a sweet, oily, clear pale ale that sits heavily on the stomach. Some say it was named for the long-dead tavernkeeper Alanra Helmatoss, others say its name comes from the violent vomiting it causes in many who over-imbibe. It is known (Harpers have tested and proved this true) to neutralize many poisons and settle many raging acidic stomachs, and is definitely an acquired taste. Those who have acquired it often drink great amounts (where one large tankard will leave a first-timer spewing) and swear by it. Warning: highly flammable!

Herr brewmeister: What makes Helmatoss burn?

In our world it would be impossible to produce an ale that would burn. In order to produce sufficient ethanol in the beverage (approaching 50% by volume for anything highly flammable), distillation would be necessary. The yeast would have died off long before in such a toxic environment. But if you were distilling it, it wouldn't be an ale any more - you'd have a spirit.

What's the secret?

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  08:58:38  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
If Althen isn't interested in the Lady herself, I'm happy to step in... as soon as she gets herself a mission in the Netherlands.
I won't be able to make it to Gencon Indy, for instance. Pity, would have liked to see the launch of LFR...
Something to mull over while in Origins (or perhaps the Lady remembers):

Is there a list of who belonged to the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale (pre Spellplague, that is)?
I imagine they were mostly left open for DMs to fill in, but some surely are known?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  10:29:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Is there a list of who belonged to the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale (pre Spellplague, that is)?
I imagine they were mostly left open for DMs to fill in, but some surely are known?

All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28):
Alosius Grimwarrow (LN hm Fighter 3)
Sherra Goldenleaf (CG ef Magic-User 6/Thief 7)
Halfgar the Strong (LG hm Fighter 7)
Helena Treskeden (True N hf Fighter 0)
Gunderman Brewmaster (NG hm Fighter 0)
Erethun Rivenstave (see below)
Captain Durana Shaleel (LG hef Fighter 0)

You should also take a look at 'Volo's Guide to the Dalelands', available as free download on the WOTC download page. One of the seven, namely ERETHUN RIVENSTAVE (NE hm Magic-User 11), is detailed therein on p. 223.

However, in the 2nd Ed. FRCS another person is named in connection with the Seven Burghers. On p. 30 it sais:
quote:
[To the Coucil of the Dales] Harrowdale sends a delegation of the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale, led by Reindorf Sandbeard.

If Reindorf Sandbeard ever was one of the seven Burghers and what happened to him is unknown to me.

Anyhow, hope that answers your question sufficiently and takes at least one querry off of the ever growing list of qestions to Ed.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Jun 2008 10:36:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  15:00:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Aha! As it happens, I can answer this one. The membership of the Seven Burghers changed somewhat down the years, but Garlin Reindorf Sandbeard (family name corrupted from "Sarandbeard") was not a Burgher. Rather, he was their hired spokesman, because he has a mellifluous voice, quick wits, and is a great orator and effective negotiator. He was also a worldly-wise traveling merchant who knew the ins and outs of places outside the dale better than the Burghers (who are pragmatic above all, and thus don't mind at all admitting someone else is more capable, and hiring him).
[This is paraphrased from Ed's notes.]
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  20:41:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28)

Thanks. I'm sure the Burghers changed a bit over the century, but this is very usefull!
I did read Volo's Guide, but I didn't know about 'The Dalelands'. Seems I missed something...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  20:51:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28)

Thanks. I'm sure the Burghers changed a bit over the century, but this is very usefull!
I did read Volo's Guide, but I didn't know about 'The Dalelands'. Seems I missed something...

It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands. The book Ergs referred to is this one:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/fr/dale.htm

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:19:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Question for the Hooded One brought on by the whole Garlin Sandbeard discussion: Did you and Ed's other players (or well, your characters) ever attend a Dalemeet? And if so, what was it like?

Hmm...no, there's no way I can make that question any broader in scope.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:23:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands.

Is it worth buying? I can get one though Amazon but they start at around $50...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  22:34:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands.

Is it worth buying? I can get one though Amazon but they start at around $50...

I wasn't terribly impressed with it, myself. I got my first copy off of eBay several years ago for far less than $50. I'm pretty sure that I got my second copy from there, too, but I won't swear to it. I'd just look there and wait for it to turn up.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  23:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I wouldn't pay $50 for FRS1 but I'd certainly buy the download for $4. It doesn't convey the feel well on its own, but it's useful as a supplemental source, having some information that didn't fit in the shops-and-sites-focused Volo's Guide. Because of this, only Shadowdale has had its culture, and the process and history of its government, described in any detail at all in print.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  01:38:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. FRS1 The Dalelands [by our Rich Baker] has a little information that's not in VGttD, but I'd look to other sources first.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  09:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I wouldn't pay $50 for FRS1 but I'd certainly buy the download for $4. It doesn't convey the feel well on its own, but it's useful as a supplemental source, having some information that didn't fit in the shops-and-sites-focused Volo's Guide. Because of this, only Shadowdale has had its culture, and the process and history of its government, described in any detail at all in print.

Well, if you got a pdf version of it, you can always go to the next "copy shop" and have it printed again in decent quality for an equally low amount. It ain't the full monty, but better than staring at the monitor for ages. BTW, the PDF versions you buy also hand you an advantge when it comes to searching for specific stuff. Type the word you are looking for and you can scan whole bookshelves in minutes.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 25 Jun 2008 09:22:41
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
My apologies to Ed if he answered my questions on the Dragonking (which I think I asked him), but I was rereading the scroll about the Dragonking and again wondered if Sune was a multi-planar deity (like Correlon and Tyr) and if we'll ever learn from what crystal sphere came the Dragonking and House Sunstaff (a.k. Wands)? I looked in the 2007 archive of Ed's answers and didn't find anything, but my set isn't complete.

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:26:39  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

Herr brewmeister: What makes Helmatoss burn?

In our world it would be impossible to produce an ale that would burn. In order to produce sufficient ethanol in the beverage (approaching 50% by volume for anything highly flammable), distillation would be necessary. The yeast would have died off long before in such a toxic environment. But if you were distilling it, it wouldn't be an ale any more - you'd have a spirit.

What's the secret?

I remember visiting a small bar near Denver that had a pale ale with a non-dissolving additive. It was called "Pine Brine" by the regulars, if I remember correctly, and was named so because the additive, which rose to the top of the drink, had a pine scent that you could smell whenever you were taking a sip. I additionally assume that this additive caused no health related problems.

It could be that the high flammability of the Helmatoss results from an additive like that one, there to give the ale a unique blend of flavor or smell. If it rose to the top of the drink, than nearby open flames or ashes (like those from a smoking pipe) could cause an ignition, even a violent one. Honestly, I'm not much of a drinker, but I've carelessly caught enough things on fire to accurately diagnose combustions.

Have a pleasant week.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:46:30  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I remember visiting a small bar near Denver that had a pale ale with a non-dissolving additive. It was called "Pine Brine" by the regulars, if I remember correctly, and was named so because the additive, which rose to the top of the drink, had a pine scent that you could smell whenever you were taking a sip. I additionally assume that this additive caused no health related problems.

Having been to some small bars near Denver, I believe the appropriate verb in that last sentence should be altered, to read "I additionally hope that this additive..."

Thanks for the info.

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000