Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  19:54:05  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
'nother question for ed, this time on a less exotic theme than the last aboleth-related question...

We all know how dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings and orcs (to name the most common humanoid races) look like. We even know quite a bit about their "racial cultures and traits" (spoken from a very generalized point of view). What we don't know yet, as far as I am aware is:

How do their voices sound like?
I think that in a dark night in the Realms, an eavesdropping thief would be able to identify that one voice in a conversation belongs to a dwarf, while the other two are a halfling and a gnome, and that the two guys around the corner are likely orcs or halforcs.

I am of course aware that this question cannot be answered for individual characters, but I imagine just as most dwarves are short and stocky and thus share a common physical trait, their voices would be similarly similar.

A further imagine that the voices would somehow "match" the other characteristics of a race. Examples: I imagine most dwarves have a deeper voice than most humans and sound, at least to human (and possibly elven) ears grumpy, while halflings have a lighter voice than humans and are often thought of as speaking with a slight "laughter-undertone". Elves on the other side sound a bit musical and have soft voices, while drow...

As you can see, I already have some ideas in mind, but I'd really would like to see (or hear) what Ed has to say about that!

...and if there would be the chance of experiencing him acting out these different races, well, that would be great! Maybe we could have someone doing a short movie on the next conference Ed attends?

Another topic: Perhaps you should think again about the patron project Wolfgang Baur does. Candlekeepers could do polls to find the most interesting realms-questions, we all agree to a number of pages or words that will come out in the end, and you... You would basically do the same thing you do here for free: handing out realmslore - but you'd get paid for it!

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely LOVE the fact that I can ask the creator of my favourite sandbox and get his answers for free! To be exact, I like that so much that I would pay for having more questions answered. I think most scribes here in candlekeep would not mind making the scroll open to the public even if they paid for it (at least I would).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  20:26:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Here's a little-known bit of Realmslore: the actual effect of the Thunder Blessing was to give all male dwarves voices like Barry White. That's the real reason for the dwarven birthrate dramatically increasing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  20:30:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Here's a little-known bit of Realmslore: the actual effect of the Thunder Blessing was to give all male dwarves voices like Barry White. That's the real reason for the dwarven birthrate dramatically increasing.

Oh yeah . . .

Although I thought it had something to do with dwarven women not having beards anymore . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  02:15:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring Ed's latest Realmslore, this one a swift reply to tauster's question about dwarven voices:

Hi. You're quite right to say that on an individual basis, any stereotype of dwarven voices breaks down. However, there IS an accurate stereotype, which is as follows:
Dwarves DO tend to have deeper voices than humans. And more "gravelly" (rough) ones. So Barry White isn't all that far off the mark. :}
They also tend to be terse, and sound grim. That is, when speaking Common and when not in the company of only dwarves (or only dwarves and gnomes), they tend to say the words they need to say - - and no more. (Therefore: terse.) In short, flatly declarative sentences. In those deep voices, and NEVER letting their voices rise in pitch at the end of a sentence, even when asking a question. To human ears, this comes across as "being grim."
Dwarven females tend to have voices just as deep, but far smoother and more "liquid" rather than raw or rough or gravelly.
Here's the kicker, though: many dwarves are darned good mimics. Even of high, light voices. Moreover, if they're traveling traders or adventurers, or dwell in a multi-racial city, they know how the voices of other races sound when asking questions, sharpening into anger, sounding astonished or purring provocatively, and so on. They can feign (both subtly, to deceive) and very broadly (for sarcastic or comic effect) an elf of either gender trying to seduce someone, or a human trying to wheedle, or a halfling fast-talking his way out of a tight situation.
Among their own kind or in front of gnomes, dwarves aren't terse; they joke far more (most dwarves NEVER sing - - except when drunk - - in front of non-dwarves and gnomes, and only make sarcastic jests), delight in aptly describing the characters of persons in a few words (e.g. "He's so rich that the gods owe HIM money, and he sneers at their altars every morning to wag his finger and not let them forget it" or "He's as hungry for her as a frog with its tongue just too short to reach a fly"), and speak in a lovely, rolling rhythm, not in clipped, terse sentences. When they do speak that way to another dwarf, it means they're very upset. As in angry, afraid, grieving, or despairing.
In general, though, your dwarf adventurer is going to "growl" his words, or perhaps "grunt" or "snarl" them, even "rumble" them if he's a large-chested or large-bellied dwarf. most dwarves say "aye" and "look ye" and end questions with "yes?" or "no?" (E.g. "Hard trail ahead, no?" or "You've had better days, yes?").
Again, this is all a generalization. Some dwarves have high, fluting voices, and almost avoid speaking at all (except when with other dwarves, or gnomes) because of it.
Hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and so also its linguist extraordinaire.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  04:22:06  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

A quick question relative to my game if you please, the druid PC in my game has a dire eagle companion and wants to have a saddle crafted for it. Being a halfling I told him that the saddle maker needed him around to make adjustments on both him and the eagle. Circumstances have his companions magically translocating to another destination and the PC decides to go with them but leaves his animal companion behind, he doesn't even go to see his eagle before he leaves to prepare it for his absence.

A little background, the eagle (a juvenile at that) belonged to a merchant who sells exotic creatures in Scornubel to whoever wishes to buy them and for pets, trophies, or components. Woody (halfling druid) saw it and other creatures caged up and him and pc companions performed a late night cage break so to speak, Woody decided to make the dire eagle his companion. I told him from the beginning it would be difficult as the eagle was traumatized from the abuse it suffered, it was a juvenile and a dire creature, that it would require much attention to help it be a proper raptor and perhaps it might be better to set it free. He choose to use his animal form abilities to become an eagle to better relate to the eagle at which point I had the dire eagle attempt to be the dominant the situation against what it precieves as a lesser cousin. Eventually he begins building a bond with the eagle but has only been at it four days and has become distracted with the campaign events and now has just up and left the eagle tethered in Elturel in someone else's care. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO am I correct in assuming that before long the eagle will do everything it can to get free of it's bonds and escape back to the wilderness or will the bonds break its spirit further leaving a wretched creature as Woody's companion?

It's the morning of Marpenoth the 12th, how long would you say Woody has to get back to the eagle before things hit the fan?

Thanks

Edited by - createvmind on 16 Jan 2008 04:45:45
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  11:06:47  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,
[snip]It's the morning of Marpenoth the 12th, how long would you say Woody has to get back to the eagle before things hit the fan?

Wow! you're going to a lot of trouble to piss off this player. Sounds like the most fun thing for him and your campaign would be to allow him to keep his dire eagle. You DMed him through the prison break, after all...
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  13:52:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hi creativemind!

Of course you are free to ask Ed any questions and it is a great priviledge of the Candlekeep Forum to have all these many others, esp. Ed, here to querry. However, I would recommand you to post your question again on the general discussion board for all to take a shot on. As I understand it, the nature of your qestion is more rules related (Handle animal check/Animal Empathy) rather than Forgotten Reamls specific and Ed might not actually have the answer you are looking for.

Hence, my advice: save Ed some time and put your question out there for general discussion. I will gladly give you my two cents on this than (not here as this is Ed's forum after all)....

Just a thought, no offence intended. Best Regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  17:32:40  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
No offense taken, actually I'm asking how Ed plays such things within the realms or how he would view such a thing, it's quite similar to my "cleric only prays when seeking spells" question from last year. I don't view an animal companion as a minion/servant of it's owner and I'm willing to bet that those who treat their companions as such have totally different issue than the those who shower their companions with love and attention. I'm just curious about Ed's view of such things within the realms, never am I speaking on game mechanics, I have no problem managing those.

And no Purple Knight Dragon they don't get pissed off over such things, none of them have played a realms game before and were used to viewing things very statically, like having mounts that never seemed to need to be watered, feed or unsaddled, always thinking they have unlimited supply of bolts and arrows or endless amounts of rope. Or even better they once bought over 100+ pounds of livestock feed and left it on uncovered wagon along with for 3 weeks during which time it rained for 5 days straight. They were present to check on the wagon and various metal tools within the wagon but were concerned with other matters. needless to say weeks later when they decided to set out they were all like "Ohhh dang, ummm I just figured you being the druid, you would naturally take care of such things." as they now have to clean a wagon full of vermin, rotted feed and rusted tools with a little plant growing out the top of it all.

After which they tell me how they remembered just as they were going to the wagon but didn't want to say anything in hopes that I had forgotten as well, we all have good laugh and they play even better afterwards, trust me they clearly use these same " common sense/logics" when its in their favor every chance they get.

Edited by - createvmind on 16 Jan 2008 17:40:50
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  19:04:02  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
A sparse hello, as always, Mr. Greenwood and Ms. THO.

During a book dive recently, I looked at the entry for Outsiders (the description more effectively called up aligned outsiders, to be specific). According to the fluff, where a normal mortal has a body and a soul, that is to say, two separate entities, an outsider's soul and body are one and the same.

This, expectedly enough, raises a few questions. Since the vast majority of outsiders, though ignoring native outsiders, are immortal and do not have the ecological requirements of most creatures, such as eating or sleeping, what happens to their descendents that are born through pairings with mortals? Aasimars and Tieflings, depending on whether you looked at the standard or the "lesser" versions, can be anything from outsiders to planetouched humanoids.

The soul is not a biological trait for humanoids, but it stands to reason that it IS for outsiders. So what happens to the body-soul separation of second or third generation planetouched? They age as normal, and when they die they can be resurrected and all that business. Are their souls separate from their bodies, or are they just more tightly bound?

Sorry if this is annoyingly existential, but it's more than simple curiosity.

Wishing you are well, GoCeraf

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  19:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Wow. From that question down to mine, which is VERY down to earth. Er, so to speak.
With the low-lying, foggy, often-flooding nature of Marsember, do they have any extensive sewer networks? As opposed to toilet drop-shafts? If so, are there magical or mechanical means of preventing water from welling up from below?
(I'm interested in escape routes/smuggling routes/avoid the Watch travel routes here, really, not every last detail about nightsoil. Really.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  19:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. A Cormyr question for me, as well. Now that Rich Baker has given us a glimpse of Cormyr's future, does Ed have any fictional plans (that he can tell us about, at this time) to touch on any part of it, between the date of Grand History onward?
I know the third Knights book will mention things Cormyrean, but I'm not thinking it will even catch up with current Realms time, let alone voyage into the future.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  19:51:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Malcolm, the key part of your question is "That he can tell us about, at this time."
As it happens, I asked Ed about coverage of future Cormyr, and so can give you the same reply he gave me:

At this time, nothing at all has been agreed-upon. I can confirm that I certainly have INTENTIONS of writing, at least in passing, about Cormyr's future, in our future. :} Somewhere, somehow.

So saith Ed. Saying all he can, even if it 'tisn't much.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  08:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Greetings to dear Lady THO and Ed.

In 2007 I asked Ed about the family of Mirrormanes (the brothers Maskul and Xeno). I understand that Ed is very busy man who tries to answer all the hundreds of questions asked by us here and that my question was not asked very long time ago. But as the answer on that topic is of utmost importance to me (it would really help me in DM-ing my current campaign), I will be slightly impolite and will try to ask some questions again in hopes that I get at least a brief answer from Ed:

Were these NPC-s created by Ed?

Is there any background about Mirrormane family designed?

What are the origins and roots of the Mirrormane family? What was it's social class and wealth before Time of Troubles? Were they nobles or merchants or just plain commoners who made quick career after the rise of Cyric?

Was this family somehow tied or connected with Cyric before his godhood?

What did the family do before the time of troubles? Were the Maskul and Xeno members of Church of Bane?

I really would appreciate even the briefest answer on that topic.

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Mandras on 17 Jan 2008 08:56:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  15:54:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Mandras, let me try to provide what little information I can on the Mirrormanes.
Here we go:
Xeno was not created by Ed, but Maskul and the Mirrormane family were.
There is family background lore on the Mirrormanes, created by Ed and abandoned when other designers started working on Zhentil Keep (Ed wanted them to have a "free hand" rather than being bound by his unpublished and fragmentary lore).
The Mirrormanes were and are "nobility" in the sense that all Zhent nobles are: wealthy, successful local merchant families who give themselves the titles of lords and special privileges. Many of the Mirrormanes entered various clergies and rose through their ranks, shielding themselves a trifle from the cut-and-thrust of secular nobility feuding with each other. Yes, Maskul was a member of the High Imperceptor's trusted advisors and envoys among the clergy of Bane (Xeno of course I can't speak for, but I would assume he was also a high-ranking priest of the faith, for his later status [the "right place" he was in] to make any logical sense) before the Time of Troubles.
No one in Zhentil Keep knew or had any connection with Cyric the mortal before the Godsfall (and Cyric's rise).
I hope these "quickie" answers help. Ed was looking for his Mirrormane family lore to share with you, and probably hasn't found it yet. No surprise to anyone who's seen his study or his basement.
Otherwise (I ran these replies past him) this is pretty much what he would have told you.
love,
THO
Edit: Just to add this, to Blueblade:
Ed says this about Marsember: there are sewers, but nothing much that will provide secret routes around the city unless you can breathe water, don't mind stinking of rotting dung and dead fish, and aren't carrying anything that can be damaged by water. There ARE a few "tunnel from this cellar into the next one" linkages, though. Ed will send a proper reply when he can.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Jan 2008 16:32:37
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  18:00:56  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message
Another question popped into my brain as I was perusing the Forgotten Realms Atlas (computer version). While glancing ove ran area I hope to take my PCs soon (Sossal to be exact), I spotted a small speck in the middle of The Great Ice Sea. I zoomed into it and saw a small island with a dot that was labeled The Great Spire. Since my PCs are going to be in this area, any info on what The Great Spire is? Any and all info will be helpful. Many thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Drawdy
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  02:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Drawdy's Homepage Send Drawdy a Private Message
Dude, no way you're sending us to Sossal. It's too cold. (Sorry...didn't know I was going to run across a spoiler in the forum! See you Tuesday.)
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  02:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Drawdy

Dude, no way you're sending us to Sossal. It's too cold. (Sorry...didn't know I was going to run across a spoiler in the forum! See you Tuesday.)

Oh this was funny

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  04:05:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Uh, oh. Busted.
Seriously, Ed is in NDA territory here, and can't, I'm afraid, say anything much about the Great Spire now. Myself, I wonder if Eric Boyd can elaborate slightly, drawing on his map-augmenting for the Interactive Atlas...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  04:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I'd like to put yet another Realmslore question on Ed's ever-growing heap, if I may . . .
Some years back, at a convention seminar, Ed mentioned "Thessalon Torchtower" as a young, over-the-top "Look at me everyone, I'm a suave, debonair adventurer!" type he'd love to put in a pratfall comic Realms story.
Did that story ever get written?
And if so, did it ever get published? Where? (If not, can I wheedle?)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  04:34:54  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Uh, oh. Busted.
Seriously, Ed is in NDA territory here, and can't, I'm afraid, say anything much about the Great Spire now. Myself, I wonder if Eric Boyd can elaborate slightly, drawing on his map-augmenting for the Interactive Atlas...
love,
THO

Then could he possibly advise what it was from 2nd edition ? :)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  09:34:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Ed mentioned "Thessalon Torchtower" as a young, over-the-top "Look at me everyone, I'm a suave, debonair adventurer!" type

Re the Torchtowers - they are a noble family of Cormyr.

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0603C&L=REALMS-L&P=1132&I=-3 though Thess is not mentioned.

I have always assumed that Thaalim Torchtower of the Tun was an exiled scion of the house? Or that he was a crown agent placed there to ensure the Tun do not rise to a single kingdom and/or to oppose Zhent inteference/control of the Tun tribes?

I know that Ed had answered questions about the Tun before in this thread (2005)
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_040506-05.htm

Which says Thaalim is an outlander which seems to confirms to me that he is of Cormmyte stock?

Just wondering

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 18 Jan 2008 09:36:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  15:38:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Sorry, coastiemike, re. this: "Then could he possibly advise what it was from 2nd edition ? :)"
I'm afraid NDAs don't work that way. Now if lore on the Spire that Ed had worked on had been published, he could point the way to it or discuss it, but otherwise the NDA in effect works as "Don't publicly talk about X at all."
Nice try, though.
Damian, thanks for stepping in to give Malcolm an answer! Ed will add stuff about Thessalon in the future, I'm sure.
Teamwork. I love that. It's all around us here at the Keep, too . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Jan 2008 15:44:14
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  18:58:37  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message
Hello first time posting a queation to Ed. In a thread in the Running the Realms section of these esteemed hall I posted a question about Uthmere and the Western End of the Great Dale. The most gracious THO was able to recall a series of articles penned by your good self on Uthmere and posted on the WOTC website. I have a few questions relating to the area. What is the approximate size of the three nearby settlements, Solin, Eastwatch and Lethgate? Do these places mark the furthest extent of Lord Uthlains direct influence? Is there a minor nobility in the area that owe fealty to Lord Uthlain and as such are the rulers of these small settlements?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Okay, is there anyway we can have a "Questions for THO" scroll in addition to the "Questions for Ed" scroll. Though she has no published works (that I know of), she is very much a sage in her own right, and ends up answering many of the questions for Ed from her own memory and notes when he is either unavailable or otherwise unable to answer. Then we would be able to ask her questions too, instead of always directing them to Ed. Anyway, here's my question for the Lady Herald:

As a player under Ed as GM, which RSEs have you experienced, and which ones have you not? Also, what is the current year that you are playing in? If Alaundo creates a new thread for you, you can answer it there.

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 18 Jan 2008 19:16:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:20:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Hawkins, I doubt I have time!!!
Mace, message received. Ed’s at work at the library for the rest of today, so it may take some time before he replies.
I did, however, receive a Realmslore reply from him before he departed for work, to this thread’s first question of 2008, from The Sage. That question was: “Ed, this is a follow-up to something we discussed back in '05 about languages and such. I'm curious about what type of languages and/or dialects you think may exist throughout the Border Kingdoms region? Which of those do you think have the most impact/influence? How have they developed and evolved over time? Do they regularly change to reflect the political and economic chaos that often grips the region?
Also, with the near-constant shifting tides of power and "occasional" influence from greater surrounding political entities in the region, I'd like to hear your thoughts on any potential clashes that could develop [or perhaps have developed] between foreign and indigenous languages. What about those indigenous languages that struggle to compete with the more widespread tongues from the North? How are they affected by those foreign languages that may be slowly reaching into the Border Kingdoms via cultural exchanges established through trade caravans and increased contact with locales north of the Lake of Steam? Are they affected?”
Ed replies:

Sage, Common is spoken by darn near everyone in the Border Kingdoms, and used automatically when speaking with strangers and travelers. This has been constant practice for the last few centuries. However, it has also been the usual daily state of affairs during the same time for every hamlet, village, thorp, and way-stop to have its own dialect, based on the language of whoever founded and settled it, modified by the tongue of whoever ruled it longest and “borrowed” words from Common to fill in the gaps (wherever the local language lacks a word or phrase for something). These dialects abound (there are probably two hundred or so in at least fragmentary daily use), are based on everything from the tongue of giants to korred dialect words, and are used as a sort of shorthand between locals, and to speak in front of an “outlander” without him or her knowing precisely what’s being said (nor is such speaking considered rude by Borderers, though it may well be by said outlander).
Calimshan and the Tashalar have long had their own dialects (I use that word rather than “languages” because they now share so much with Common that they would probably be seen by a non-scholar viewing them in the Realms of “now” [my reply is using the beginning of the last year, of detailed event entries, in A GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS as “now”] as dialects of Common rather than separate languages; think of Calishites as speaking with the structure of Common and a sprinkling of Common words plus a LOT of Common verbs, but using “funny alternate words” for a vast array of other such things as: chair, table, gown, barrel, family, fashionable, expected, and gate.
The prevalence of Common means this sort of thing now happens darn near everywhere that has trade with wider Faerûn and any sort of human dominance or 30 percent or more population representation (i.e. not Veldorn, Chult, or in the Underdark but just about everywhere else in western continental Faerûn). Yes, trade and travel is having that much influence, regardless of local likes or dislikes.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more Realmslore replies in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  19:25:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Paul, your query has gone off to Ed.
HawkinstheDM, when it comes to my non-work life and hobbies, I have no secrets from Ed - - and darned few from any scribes here, either. You can ask me anything (and I mean ANYthing ) here, right in front of Ed, and he won't mind . . . and neither (purrrr) will I.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  22:47:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. You can ask me anything (and I mean ANYthing ) here, right in front of Ed, and he won't mind . . . and neither (

Good Lady - could you explain how the Knights met Neiroon? He who lived in the Hut near the river Lis - from the Realms Atlas, (the proper one I mean, the paper one [:)).

And is this the same Neiron 'the schemer' from the OGBS who is listed as a Ranger who is not a harper and wanders the stonelands?

I am guessing not given Ed'd like of similar names to confuse us all (Astoroth etc )

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 18 Jan 2008 22:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  23:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I just finished reading Swords of Dragonfire and found it a most excellent read. Of course I have some questions, but I think I might wait until after The Sword Never Sleeps since some of them might well be answered there.

Warning, possible spoilers for Swords of Dragonfire follow!

I did have one small criticism, though. (I apologize in advance for coming across as so strident, but it has to be said and I don't know how I can put it more delicately or diplomatically.) There is a few scenes where a certain female character (whom I won't name here because of possible spoilers), kisses two other female characters (also unnamed due to spoilers) quite publicly. When I read this, I was quite delighted, especially considering who she had avoided on her way to kiss the first woman. Then a few pages later, she spends a few pages kissing a male character (who is not a significant Cormyrian NPC), despite people trying to break them up.

While I don't think you did this deliberately, I'd like to explain how it could be read or percieved... She kisses the women as a titillation, but when the man comes along we're given no doubt as to her sexual orientation. She might be flexible, but she's pretty much heterosexual (I know you probably intended her to be bisexual, but that isn't how she came across). In essence the scene gives the impression that while women sometimes kiss other women, they only do it for the people watching (men) and only then until a man comes along. I was delighted when I read the first two scenes, because they came out of the blue and I've long wanted to see an openly gay female character... But then to see the next protracted kissing scene, it was quite a let down. The message one could come away with from that is that women are only interested in women, until the man of their dreams comes along.

At least there wasn't any indignant outcry from the gathered nobles (but I suppose they wouldn't have dared). But aside from the two women involved, the most enthusiastic endorsement seemed to come from the men, and none of the other women seemed impressed (or even interested), and spent a lot of time flinging themselves at another male character (also unnamed for spoiler reasons) after that.

Anyway, that's basically all I have to say on the matter. I'm sure some people will rise up in indignation that I even hint that there might be a problem with those scenes... But know that I am not accusing you of doing it deliberately. We all suffer from tunnel vision from time to time.

Lastly, I kind of have a request. I'm not sure how much influence on 4e Realms you have, but could you please drop hints or otherwise see to it that the new Realms ends up with some strong and charismatic female characters? We seem to be losing so many of them, without gaining any new ones so far. In some ways, females seem to be getting a rougher deal in the transition than males. (For example: Azoun V ascends to the throne at 13, and he is followed by his son Foril... This after sidestepping both Tanalasta and Alusair as outright rulers in their own names.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  23:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
I'm sure some people will rise up in indignation that I even hint that there might be a problem with those scenes...

Not me. I will politely say that I came away with a different impression than you did, though (I say this as a straight woman, btw)--I thought the unnamed character you mentioned who kissed two women could not have cared less about what anyone in the room might have thought about her actions. I also thought she might have been bisexual (although there's no way to prove that...).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  00:03:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Neato!

Thanks Ed, and to you as well my lovely Lady Hooded One. More to come.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000