Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Oddly enough I seem to have lost my mailing of this thread in THO's Braizers once again..

Silly me...

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 07 Jan 2008 23:41:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30205 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  00:32:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Dear Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood, this may be question that has already been posed at some point, but where do the goblins come from in FR?

When two goblins love each other very much...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3525 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  01:00:26  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Dear Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood, this may be question that has already been posed at some point, but where do the goblins come from in FR?

When two goblins love each other very much...

Goblins can Love??

I suppose next you will expect a Goblin Kingdom rising in the middle of the dales that all will decide to let alone for the good of all, cause after all goblins are people too!

Now to be on suject:
Lady Herald,

When you mention poor, overworked Ed chained to his keyboard....What is said keyboard attached to? As in what does he currently do his writing on? Typewriter, Word Processor, PC?

Thank you Milady!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  10:48:51  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
Dear Ed,

First of all, a happy new year to you and your kin, and thanks for giving us the best sandbox we all could have ever wished for!

I dm a campaign who’s main plot centeres around an aboleth schmeme to rule the world (the “Night Below” box written by Carl Sargent) and have a few questions about aboleth in the Realms. I don’t need them urgently answered, so take your time. However I would be happy if I could read your opinion still in 2008 (I know there are unanswered questions older than that, and I feel bad when jumping the queue). Many thanks in advance! :o)

The main plot (and plot device to enter the PC) is that magic users (mages, priests, bards, etc.) dissappear. After a bit of investigation the PC discover several groups of kidnappers and follow their trails into the underdark, where the victims are handed down from one group to the next, until they finally end up (or down, considered the location) in the hands/tentacles of aboleth who are in the process of creating a “machine” that will extend their mental domination powers all over the world.

Here are my questions (and sorry for them to be so drawn-out!):
1) When an aboleth consumes someone, he gains all(!) the knowledge of that individual, and when aboleth spawn, their offspring inherits all(!) of their parent’s knowledge. I cannot begin to imagine how vast their intellet must be and how quickly this mechanism might lead to intellects that unbalance these creatures, making them far too clever to be used as villains. At least this feature was countered in 3rd editions “Lords of Madness” by stating that their ancestral knowledge is not readily accessible and has to be searched for specific facts in protracted mind-wanderings. Still, when a whle city of aboleth comes up with a plan for world domination, I expect it to be quite bullet-proof.

...and no finally comes my question: What kind of spellcasters would they have kidnapped, and where? My take was that they would spread the kidnappings all over Faerun to avoid “spikes” that can be too esily detected, and I had them concentrate on “common” reasons for dissappearance to cover their actions: adventuring bands or lone travelling individuals or wandering small groups like bands of priests travelling from one temple to another. Anything you could add? What native groups would they blame?

2) Would the gods of the realms get upset when their priests get kidnapped, and how would they react? I know it depends on the size of their followers as well as how much each individual god involves himself in mortal affairs, so the question can’t be answered in general. How is your take on Shaundakul (very small following, around 400 realms-wide according to Faiths and Avatars), Tempus, Chauntea, Tymora, Bane, Cyric, Xvim? I know that’s a lot, but a small note for each is enough. Apart from the gods themselves, how do the churches react, both on an intra- and interreligious level? Form joint search and rescue teams or hire adventuring bands (like they do so often)?

3) What would Cormyr (in 1371 DR) do if the PC inform them about the kidnappings (they know that the victims dissappear deep in the underdark, but not the aboleth involvement)? My take was that in the beginning they would see it as “just another thing we have to keep our eyes on, along with those two dozen sembian plots, the zhents, our own nobles and scores of adventuring bands”. Since the aboleth should not make the mistake of becoming active in the domain of Cormyr because that realm is too highly organized, can be expected to make trouble and effectively jeopardize their plan, the Forest Kingdom should experience the whole affair as something that doesn’t concern tha nation directly. Would they inform other organizations, and which?

4) And the last question: How do you envision the aboleths in the realms? How commonly known are they among sages? Are they seen as legends or real dangers that luckily concern mostly the dwellers of the underdark? Who in the realms would most likely have reasonably solid lore about these monsters? I am tempted to send my players to cosmopolitan underdark cities like Sshamath, for example...

OK, I guess that’s enough stuff to answer. You can keep your replies short – I know you don’t have the time for answering every question in detail. ... not that I woulnd’t like the long versions, mind you! ;o)

Tauster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  18:40:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Great questions, tauster!
I suspect Ed will want to take a good look at the 4e version of aboleths (note: I am making an assumption that there is one, here, NOT operating on any "inside knowledge") before replying to you in full, but we'll see what comes back from Winterkeep . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  20:13:35  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
Thanks for forwarding, THO!

If it helps to speed up the answers: I absolutely don't need any 4e-things. Our campaigns use rules from 2e plus a wagonload of houserules and imporvisations. For us, rules are only support and framework. Neither the players nor I are much interested in number-cracking; story, mood and roleplay are way more important.

Since the campaign plays in 1371 DR (before even the 3e times), I have as well no need for the newer (3e) and newest (4e) Realms. I don't even need any "official" answeres from Ed - it would be enough to get his reasonings and musings. :) And for the sake of the questions, let's just assume what I wrote about aboleth under 1)...

Edited by - tauster on 08 Jan 2008 20:20:46
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:22:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

, but we'll see what comes back from Winterkeep . . .
love,
THO

So he has moved to the Hordelands then

I don't suppose you have any more info about Winterkeep do you Good Lady? Its one of those mysterious places 'just off the map' that act as a lure for us adventuring types

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  02:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
So he has moved to the Hordelands then

I don't suppose you have any more info about Winterkeep do you Good Lady? Its one of those mysterious places 'just off the map' that act as a lure for us adventuring types

Cheers

Damian

Seconded, mi'lady. I'm always looking for more tasty Raumathari lore.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Learned Scribe

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  17:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message
Dear Ed,

I have had a curious twitch in my brain. I have a question, and I've thought about it from several angles, and I can't seem to shake it.

So, here it is:

"Is Old Snarl Elminster or some other great wizard?"

I've attacked this question from several angles, trying the same methods I might use to answer "where does Clark go when Superman appears?" This might sound like a bit of an oversimplification, but that's the biggest part of it. While I recognize that Elminster is (formerly) the Sage of Shadowdale, he seems to be the only human who knows anything of truth about Klauth, with most of the lore about the dragon penned by his hand. To the best of my knowledge they've never fought, never been in the same place (at least by witness account), and never been friends (who can be a friend to a bugger-mad old red dragon?). Mind you, I'm not as up on my readings as I should be, but still.

Further, I have reason to believe that Klauth isn't a dragon because of some of the strange behaviors he has exhibited. For example, rescuing the wounded Elven girl and taking her to Evereska. Dropping in to slay an orc horde in the stirring. Random acts of kindness to people who normally hate dragons. Etc. Etc.

My thoughts are that it would make sense if Elminster were Klauth, because it's a form that would give him an ethical/moral carte blanche. If Elminster knows that someone needs to be taken out, or something needs to happen, that he can't do himself because of his notoriety and the ramifications it might bring to the faith of Mystra or his own reputation, then the disguise of a snarly old red dragon mad with power would make perfect sense. Further, nigh-immortal wizards like Khelben and Elminster are known to have created several false identities throughout the years to accomplish deeds, and to create false histories and lies about the nature of certain truths. In fact, this is the focus of the book 'Blackstaff'.

It would make sense that Elminster would create a spell that only one dragon in existence has access to, and only one would be mad enough to use, to explain his incredible size, longevity, and power. One could argue that it's a convenient explanation for the fact that Elminster is nigh-immortal, and he would have to pass on that same to his draconic form.

Well, it's a long-shot, but this is my question. If anything an answer might get rid of the twitch.

Thanks for the time.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  17:46:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

I have had a curious twitch in my brain. I have a question, and I've thought about it from several angles, and I can't seem to shake it.
So, here it is:
"Is Old Snarl Elminster or some other great wizard?"

What an excellent question! When the Wyrms of the North articles first came out, I did wonder if one or more of the dragons might be 'dead' Chosen or ex-Magisters, given new life at the behest of Azuth or Mystra.

I like your reasoning, very sound and creative, but not quite something that El would do i think, he seems to do what he wants and I am not sure he woud use Klauth as a front?? (it soesn't seem to fit his style pehaps?). However, am I just wondering why Khelben has just popped into my head.......

Maybe its one of the Talonmists, they dabbled in Dragon Magics and chased El around the High Moor in Dragonshape IIRC.

Thanks Craig this has got my creative DM mind working overtime!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 09 Jan 2008 17:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  06:12:53  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Great question Craig! it would be cool if it would be the case. Maybe it's a faulty, more Chaotic-Neutral-than-Good CLONE of Elminster with some kind of permanent polymorph!!!
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  18:43:26  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Hey THO! Hope you had a great New Year's celebration!

And my first question for 2008 is for you and your fellow Knights. I'm (re)starting my campaign using 2nd edition rules (after a TPK and my burning out with 3.X rules and the 4th edition debacle). I've been looking over the stats for beholders and their eye rays (kill, fry, disintegrate ) and I'm wondering just how in the Nine Hells did the Knights manage to whack as many beholders as they did!

Did Ed modify his beholder's eye rays to make them less deadly, or did the Knights have some special tactics or magic going for them? I'm asking because I want to have some answers when my PCs decide to ask sages and other experts in my campaign for any advice before they go up against my eye tyrants. Thanks for any help!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, thom! A proper answer will have to wait for Ed, of course, but the quick one is: Ed has always used a wide variety of variant beholders in the Realms, many of which have made it into the official rules over the years, and yes, we faced a LOT of eye tyrants (particularly lesser controlled beholderkin and various forms of guardian undead beholders) that were missing some of the more formidable eyes or had different eyestalk powers. We even had a tiny "floating eyeball" beholder pet for a time, and were served plates of stewed miniature beholders at a particular club in Calimport. Not to mention the stripper whose three naughtiest bared features were covered by attached miniature beholders who had quite formidable eye-powers indeed, and enabled her to be quite safe and unmolested no matter where she was performing . . .
Ah, the tales I could tell . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  13:57:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
I have just finidhed reading Crown of fire!And I ahve to say: Wonderful! Magnificent! All this detail, the thought that seems to be put into every word to make every character andevery place come to life! I am truely impressed! And all the little tidbits of lore esp. about Cormyr.

And when reading about Myrintara I had to think about you THO. Any chance Ed did the same when creating that pleasure-queen?

Please pass on my thanks to Ed for a truely remarkable read.

I do have a question, however, regarding the entrance to the Hidden House: Is Shandril already in the Hidden House after Tesseril shoves her through the portal? Or does she reach the House after passing through the many rooms? Thanks in advance.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Jan 2008 19:20:24
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:03:14  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Thanks milady! That's basically what I needed to know. But yes, please add to my question for Ed: could he list some of the alternate powers he substituted for his beholders' eye rays?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  14:33:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! I bring a brief message from Ed:

Damian and Craig, you're GOOD. Here's the truth: Elminster is not Klauth. Klauth is . . . Klauth. A nasty and very cunning red dragon of much age and experience.
Who is starting to sleep for longer and longer periods. Whenever he does, it alerts a certain person that Klauth is dreaming again. Said person then casts a subtle spell to keep Klauth "deeper asleep" for a time, and then impersonates him. Taking dragon shape and doing things that some might term "having fun," others call "righting some wrongs," and still others would call "irresponsible meddling."
Said person is indeed a Talonmist.
Daerendar Talonmist, to be precise ("Daern" in daily parlance). Who spends most of the rest of his time in seclusion, devising new spells and tinkering with old ones. His specialties are draconic magic and "trigger magic items from afar" spells.
Until, of course, the Spellplague hits...

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work "putting the icing on the cake" of Realmslore you may all be VERY interested in, even if you don't adopt the "new" Realms (geographically, Ed tells me, this will be relatively easy to do). Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30205 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  16:14:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
O Lovely Lady Hooded One, does the infliction of the 4E Realms upon us mean that the Border Kingdoms will once more fall back into the background?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  16:48:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As it happens, Wooly dearest, I asked Ed about that very thing, and he told me:
For the short term, yes (as in, until he gets some of the big - - and late - - projects done). For the longer term, he very much wants to finish covering the BKs (pre-timeshift), somehow and somewhere (perhaps an all-in-one download on the Wizards site). There will be coverage of that same geographical area in future Realms publications, he assures me, if current plans come to fruition.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Learned Scribe

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  18:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message
quote:
Daerendar Talonmist, to be precise ("Daern" in daily parlance). Who spends most of the rest of his time in seclusion, devising new spells and tinkering with old ones. His specialties are draconic magic and "trigger magic items from afar" spells.

THO & Ed,

Would this be the same Talonmist wizard who has captured Archveult, pupil of the Seven, and is making him power magic items and automota from afar?

I never did really believe that a Cormanthyrian archmage could be lulled into complacency in a realm such as Calimshan. Hell, in Calimport the first thing I'd be worried about as a mage is making sure that my spellbook, coinpurse, and any items of value be tucked safely away in an extradimensional space. The pickpockets in that city I'm sure make those of Waterdeep look amateur.

However, in travels of the frozen North, far removed from the congestion of humanity, it would be easy to forget one's defences momentarily and fall prey to a dragon or a cunning wizard.

Craig

Edited by - Stonwulfe on 12 Jan 2008 18:19:50
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  19:20:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I have read often about magic items that whisk away, enspelled, cursed and do all other types of dastardly things to those who touch or try to use them, my question is what precautions do mage schools and temples have in place ( wards, contingencies, supression magics) to protect themselves when someone brings them an item to be identified and surely they must charge more than 100-200gp for the risk they take in doing so. When my game with current players began a year ago they were used to just bringing an item to someone and saying "I want to know what this is, I'll be back in about two hours to pick it up." Since then they've grown used to the response of, "It must first check it for harmful or spying magics before I perform that spell." I as DM however have been wondering just exactly what how this is approached by mages and clerics and organizations as opposed to an individual (reclusive mage, or retired caster turned shopowner).

Thanks in advance as always.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  23:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work "putting the icing on the cake" of Realmslore you may all be VERY interested in, even if you don't adopt the "new" Realms (geographically, Ed tells me, this will be relatively easy to do). Hmmm . . .

So we can use that lore without using the "new" Realms?

Hip hip, HOORAY! That is great news, thank you!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  01:21:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

For the short term, yes (as in, until he gets some of the big - - and late - - projects done). For the longer term, he very much wants to finish covering the BKs (pre-timeshift), somehow and somewhere (perhaps an all-in-one download on the Wizards site). There will be coverage of that same geographical area in future Realms publications, he assures me, if current plans come to fruition.
love,
THO
Well, that's understandable, I suppose. While it disappoints me to hear that the Border Kingdoms won't be receiving further attention anytime soon, I'm glad to see Ed's love for the region certainly hasn't diminished in the slightest. I can't wait to see what is coming for my favorite part of the Realms!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  03:16:53  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Oh Lady... how you tease me! might I suggest Ed gets paid for this at least, perhaps having this all-in-one download as a long Dragon article? it seems they put all the new Realmslore under "Dragon --> Features" these days (yes, I'm starting to figure out their new website... slooooowly...)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  03:25:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
PDK, Ed has of course no say at all in where and how website Realmslore will appear, but he told me he expects it to be a freebie for gamers, being as the series started that way.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Ed says yes, it should be readily usable in the old Realms if you ignore references here and there and "devise your own trade arrangements."

Stonwulfe, Ed says this is a different Talonmist. Same family, of course, but different (and far more aggressive) guy. Daern likes to "hide inside" Klauth for all his lashing out and daring stuff, and be the stay-at-home scholar in his family's eyes, as well as everyone else's.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message
Hi all. I have searched through the various official supplements I have and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My PCs are being honored at an awards ceremony in the High Palace of Silverymoon. Most of them have really gotten into what they plan to wear to the ceremony, detailing their outfits and which tailor of Silverymoon is fashioning their new clothes.

One of my female characters would like to wear the official flower of Silverymoon in her hair. Does anyone know what this is? If there isn't one, what would be a good choice considering how far north Silverymoon is? Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000