Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  01:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Totally unsolicited advice to WotC:

Hire George.

That is all.

ec

There is some place where I have to sign for this?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  01:53:24  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

Hire George.

That is all.

ec

Hear hear.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  05:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
High praise indeed Elaine and I couldn't agree more!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  08:44:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hire George.

That is all.

ec

Umm, thanks Elaine. High praise indeed from an author of your calibre.

-- George Krashos

P.S. Thanks to all who approved of Elaine's suggestion, but the Realms has many writers jostling for a piece of the action. I've had my time in the sun for a long time. I say let other aspiring FR fans like Brian work on their tan.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  18:30:13  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

At what age do children who are being trained in martial skills trade their wooden weapon in for the real deal?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  23:36:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed has been very busy these last few weeks dealing with family matters and trying to catch up on his long-overdue writing (for Solaris, in particular). Yet it’s past time he provided us with new Realmslore, and here he is again.
To althen artren: as with most people my age, I have some ongoing or recurring aches and pains. I don’t think the gunshot wound is contributing to them right now, but . . .
Thanks for asking. The important thing is, I’m still alive, and still happily heralding Realmslore, to whit this from Ed:

I would also like to echo Elaine’s call for Wizards to hire George Krashos, though I know better than to expect any such hiring to take place. George’s work is outstanding and has been so for many years, during which he has enriched the Realms greatly (this latest lore post is just one shining example). He deserves much wealth, praise, and chances to craft official published Realmslore to his heart’s content. Meeting George for the first time at GenCon Indy ’07 was a real highlight for me. George, the welcome mat is always out for you!

Hear, hear! Hearty echoings from me. Ed will provide lore to supplement George’s recent and superb Realmslore reply in this thread, but has some other replies to provide this time around, to an array of questions from a “novice Brazilian DM” named “Cad” (I believe) passed on to us all by Chosen of Moradin: “I´m creating an adventure based near Espar, in Cormyr, and need of some help to start with my players.
The place will be like a base for the group, the players give their character choices: a paladin of Tyr, son of a baron; a human barbarian; a sorcerer with draconic heritage that want to be a war wizard; a dwarf, priest of Moradin; a warrior of the cormyrean army; and a black earth genasi from Mulhorand(???).
Questions:
1. How can a player character enter to the War Wizards and to the Purple Dragon? (to the organizations, to the PrC is well documented).
2. There is the possibility of exist a Cormyrean barbarian? And what will be the more plausible option?
3. About the nobles, how is the organization of the Cormyrean nobility (titles, hierarchies, etc.)
4. How could I handle the "ordainment" of a paladin of Tyr
5. How could I handle a presence of a Mulhorand genasi, how the Cormyreans will interact with him?”
Ed replies:

For joining the War Wizards: the sorcerer will be required to register (give his name, place of origin, intended place of dwelling or route of travel within the realm, blood sample, and sigil if any) with the War Wizards, just as any arcane spellcaster is. If he expressly asks to join the Wizards of War, he’ll be told (by any War Wizard NPC) the polite equivalent of “Don’t call us; we’ll call you.” However, he will also be watched covertly and closely from that moment on (including by War Wizards using spells to spy on him and listen to his utterances, from afar). The War Wizards want all adventurer-wizards active in Cormyr to be bound by adventuring charter, or to leave the realm, or to serve the Crown, or to join their ranks, so unless the sorcerer is a “bad apple” (flouts the laws and behavioural norms of the kingdom often and casually), he will eventually be asked to join. Which will mean he ends up serving as a spy or open reporter on the deeds of his adventuring companions, and can be ordered (usually by a testy Vangerdahast or another senior gruff old Wizard of War, if your Realms campaign has the War Wizards run by someone else, such as Caladnei) to undertake all sorts of dangerous tasks (read: ways you the DM can drag the PCs into adventures) at any time. The actual joining will involve mind-reaming (an exhausting mind-meld spell in which a senior War Wizard who can easily mentally overpower the PC sorts through all of the PC’s memories and sees EVERYTHING, so let’s hope the PC doesn’t have too shady a past) and then the swearing of an oath. An example of a mind-reaming can be seen in my novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER; the oath appears in my 2004 questions thread here at the Keep, I believe (Sage? Kuje? Wooly? Alaundo? where is it, exactly, please? :}).
For joining the Purple Dragons: the soldiery of Cormyr is always short of strength, these days, and simply volunteering at any garrison location is enough to get a PC “halfway in.” There’s an oath of loyalty (simplify it from the War Wizard one, with loyalty sworn to the ruling monarch; if your campaign is during the Steel Regency, the oath will specify serving Azoun V directly or “through the Regent, and none other”), the signing of a “bond” (simple contract, with pay specified; the PC will start as an “armsman” or trainee soldier, at 1 cp/day plus room and board; pay will increase to 1 sp/day for any sort of “combat duty,” and mounts and all gear are provided free of charge; pay will also increase as more training is mastered, and of course increases with rank; there are various notations over the three-and-ongoing years of this thread as to pay, rank, et al, plus the rank table given in POWER OF FAERUN), mind-reaming again (by a middling-level War Wizard), and then assignment to a trainee “patrol” at a garrison.
Please note: whereas PC adventurer War Wizards are typically “fairly free” to go adventuring, PC Purple Dragons are NOT. Being a soldier of the Crown means military duty, darned near all your waking hours, not racing off to delve into dungeons or pick fights with monsters or anyone else. Trainees are not going to be sent into danger or anywhere near any royalty or sensitive areas, unless the realm gets plunged suddenly into war.

No, there are no Cormyrean barbarians. Which doesn’t mean there can’t be a “barbarian” IN Cormyr. This would most likely be an unlettered, untutored “backwilds” human who’s wandered south from a subsistence-level family in the northernmost reaches of Thar or the Sword Coast North (Ice Mountains vicinity, or fled from a more westerly Uthgardt tribe thanks to a blood feud, oathbreaking, or other trouble; any human from the Sword Coast North is likely to have been displaced by strengthening orc activity). There’s also the slim possibility of having come from subsistence-level Nar or other human family from somewhere between the Great Dale and Sossal, but you’ll have to come up with “how the character got to Cormyr.” Myself, I’d use a gate/portal, but then you’ll have to decide if the character can find or use that gate again, or (preferably) if it’s been lost or destroyed.

The nobility of Cormyr are a large and complicated topic that I haven’t even begun to address properly in print. Pre-Spellplague, there may be as many as 120 noble families, if you count all of the exile, banished, possibly-extinct ones. There are generally about forty wealthy and influential noble families in Cormyr, with a dozen or so really powerful ones that a PC “son of a baron” can’t possibly be from. Most of them are called “lord” or “lady” in general daily parlance; there aren’t enough “barons” in Cormyr for a PC to easily be from a Cormyrean family and still be the “son of a baron.” I’d suggest that the PC either be from the Cormaeril family (recently lost noble status and most wealth and lands, though individuals are still allowed to serve the Crown as soldiers, earn ranks and titles, and remain as citizens, perhaps becoming ennobled in the future in their own right rather than because of their blood) or an exiled family (again, is the son of a baron but that now means nothing except suspicion in Cormyr), or hales from the nobility of Chessenta or perhaps Tethyr. As a DM, consider carefully what advantages you are handing the PC if they can call on noble privileges, wealth, and connections whenever they feel the need.

As for the ordainment of a paladin of Tyr, there are two elements here: the “Trueing” (the official ceremony or ritual in which a paladin is “sanctified” to “ride forth as an arm of Tyr,” dispensing justice, fighting injustice, and generally being a paladin in the name of the god, able to call upon and even command the support of His church), and the “Testing” that leads up to this ceremony: the Great Task that anyone desiring to become a paladin must successfully complete in order to be granted paladinhood.
I would suggest that a PC paladin begin play by having to carry out this Task with the aid of a “band of companions” (the rest of the PCs) so as to force him or her to become part of a team rather than being the loner he/she has hitherto been, and that this Task be some sort of dangerous adventuring mission in Cormyr, perhaps recovering a holy relic stolen from a temple of Tyr by someone wealthy and powerful in Cormyr (a senior courtier, a noble, or a wealthy and powerful merchant in one of the three cities; in other words, a major and tricky task). If the PC fails, there may be severe social consequences for all of the PCs in Cormyr, but the Church of Tyr understands that daring and danger holds forth the possibility of failure, and will merely assign another Task. HOW the PC paladin carries out the task is of utmost importance: he/she must try their utmost not to break any laws, and not to create any injustice by their deeds and words or through what they failed to say or do. Simple for me to outline, but can be VERY hard for a player to guide their character through, without missteps, in the hands of a good DM.

Cormyr is a tolerant, “crossroads” trading land; citizens of all of its three cities and all waystop communities along its central and eastern roads are used to seeing all manner of “strange outlanders.” Unless they look very like a known or legendary “dangerous monster” (for most Cormyreans, known monsters include carrion crawlers, doppelgangers in their “native” form or seen during shapeshifting, and goblins; legendary perils include drow, illithids, and dragons), the treatment a particular “outlander” receives depends on how he or she behaves. A black earth genasi from Mulhorand would be ridiculed if trying to make a living as, say, a lap dancer in a high-end city festhall or club, an attendant arranging tiny fragile ceramics or jewelry pieces in a crowded shop, or perhaps a fashion model, but would otherwise generally be treated as “just another trader” or laborer (“Ho, touch of giant blood in that one, I’d say!”). On the other hand, a black earth genasi from Mulhorand who set up a bone altar and prayed to orc gods would get attacked, pronto. If the player handles the PC according to what RACES OF FAERUN says about the attitude and demeanor of most earth genasi, the character should be accepted readily by Cormyreans (though they may glance at him or her twice, or stare with interest, just because the character is a tad “different” and therefore interesting).

So saith Ed, who remains frantically busy, and begs your patience as he continues to make Realmslore replies when he can. Keep those questions (and rants and hellos and everything else, too) coming.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 May 2008 23:39:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  01:23:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Bear with me...

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I can't resist any longer: I laughed aloud when I saw George "take a stab at it" in the most minute detail. "Stab?" Nay, say rather, "a hit! A palpable hit!"
More like a 100 Megaton Warhead at Ground Zero.

George's Encyclopedic Knowledge of the Realms and it's history leaves most of us in awe, and outside of Ed, is second to none.

I would second (third? Fourth?) that nomination for GK to become WotC's in-house 'master of continuity', but I suspect that ship has sailed, and I have already let him know the direction I think he should take moving forward.

I'd also like to personally thank him for that magnificent piece of Lore - I had stopped working on my "History of the Wastes" quite sometime ago, because of the shear volume of disparate lore (spread over three settings, and even in products that didn't start out FR, like the DoD). He's not only managed to fill in a rather large gap, but he's re-kindled my interest in the region once again.

One more thing, if I may, before I get to my question.

To add what Ed has given us above (and I'm taking some liberties here), I think, going by some stuff that has appeared in print, that the title of "War Wizard" is, on occassion, bestowed as an honorary title to certain personages who have done a great service to the Crown in the past.

The basis for this is from the oft-mailigned Once Around the Realms, which like it or not, IS canon. In it, both El and Khelben are mentiuoned as "War Wizards", which confused me no end when I read it.

Until I re-read some of the Elminster novels recently.

It seems that both Elminster and Khelben helped to erect many of the wards in and around the Royal Palace in Suzail... and it's Ed to the rescue once again. Of course both El and Khelben are considered 'Honorary Members' of the esteemed organization (much to Vangerdhast's chagrin) - A title that may have been granted them (much like 'Knighting') by a young Azoun or his father, or perhaps even earlier. Neither of them would be expected to show up for the day-to-day meetings those Wizards have, but when a "Council of War" or other important undertaking is being considered, the 'greater war wizards' are summoned, which would include all those luminaries that have been granted the title throughout Cormyr's history (and I suspect several others are also still around). There is no obligation on their part to show, but when it deals with matters concerning the Heartlands (as did the Tuigan War), then one can expect that certain senior members of the Harpers (and Moonstars) would want to be present for such a thing. Such was the (unamed) case in Suzail at the time OAtR was occurring, and that is why the "War Wizard" Khelben was in attendance.

Pure conjecture on my part, but it helps to patch a hole that bothered me - Make of it what you will.

Now the Question -

Does Ed continually 'churn out' material, even when he's not working on something specific, such that he always has a pile of lore at his fingertips for any project?

A comment was made over at Paizo concerning Ed's contribution to their world, about the 'shear volume' of what Ed sent them. In fact, the exact words were "Raw Ed is amazing". I will leave THO to extrapolate for us what 'Raw Ed' is.

Anyhow, it was sadly announced recently at the WotC boards that Ed's Anchorome would NOT be making it into the FRCG, and I thought about what happens to everything he works on that is never used, and then I realized that perhaps it winds up elsewhere...

like maybe Castlemourn... or Golarion (Pathfinder)?

Of course he doesn't have to answer anything that he might not want to, but it gives me the giggles to think that Paizo's world wound up with Anchorome (or at least, whatever he had already come up with for it).

So, does Ed recycle unused lore, or is he truly the inhuman creativity machine that we all think he is?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 May 2008 01:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  01:56:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

An example of a mind-reaming can be seen in my novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER; the oath appears in my 2004 questions thread here at the Keep, I believe (Sage? Kuje? Wooly? Alaundo? where is it, exactly, please? :}).

I'll be dipped if I know where it is... I've got two documents with the oath in them, and I searched each thread around the dates on the files, but no joy. At least one of those documents (possibly both) was copied from the now-defunct Yet Another Forgotten Realms Website.

So I'll just quote the info, including the oath, instead.

quote:
From the 'home' Realms campaign, I present the Oath of Loyalty sworn by War Wizards.

In Cormyr, nobles (when they come of age) personally swear loyalty to both the sovereign (by name, and in the presence of the monarch) AND the Crown, pledging their persons to "the defense of the realm." Purple Dragons, lesser courtiers, and minor officials of the realm swear to "the Crown and the Dragon Throne" before no less than three ranking courtiers and/or the Royal Magician or a member of the Obarskyrs plus a court sage (in time of war, "battlefield oaths" are acceptable before three serving Purple Dragons and a Purple Dragon officer of the rank of ornrion or higher). Oaths are sworn when entering service, and may be re-demanded ("reconfirmed") at any time.

Highknights and courtiers of rank [Seneschal, Lord Chamberlain, the High Chatelaine, the Master of the King's Stables, etc.] take personal oaths to the sovereign (in the presence of the sovereign, a priest of the swearer's prime faith, the Royal Magician, another member of the blood Obarskyr or failing that two persons of one of the three 'royal' noble families, and a court sage and a court scribe).

All of the above oaths are usually renewed when a new sovereign or regent takes the Dragon Throne. War Wizards swear before the Mage Royal and one other War Wizard, plus a court scribe or member of the Obarskyr family, or the second-in-command of the War Wizards plus three other War Wizards of at least twelve seasons of service (rank doesn't matter) and a court scribe. In the event that the Royal Magician/Mage Royal and the Court Wizard are two separate persons, either one of them will suffice. In the event that both offices are vacant, any nine long-service War Wizards (so long as their number includes either one of the two highest-ranking surviving War Wizards) can receive the oath of loyalty.

This oath is informally but universally known as "The Handflame" because someone accepting the oath before the court for dramatic effect often conjures up illusory flame about their hands, transferring it briefly to the swearer's hands as the accepter clasps the hands of the swearer (a formality usually entirely dispensed with in private). A War Wizard's oath is taken only once; dismissal from the organization (for reasons of age, ill health, loss of desire to serve, or unfitting conduct) is known as "release from the oath." The Handflame is always spoken from memory, not recited by the accepter or a prompter and repeated by swearer. Its words are as follows:

I, --[insert full formal name, sans titles but including all given used names and aliases, including truenames if the oath is taken in private]-- , give my service unfailingly loyal to the Mage Royal of Cormyr, in full obedience of speech and action, that peace and order shall prevail in the Forest Kingdom, that magic of mine own and others be used and not misused. I do this in trust that the Mage Royal shall unswervingly serve the throne of Cormyr, and if the Mage Royal fall, or fail the Crown and Throne, my obedience shall be to the sovereign directly. Whenever there is doubt and dispute, I shall act to preserve Cormyr. Sunrise and moonfall, so long as my breath takes and my mine eyes see, I serve Cormyr. I give my life that the realm endure.

...And there you have it. Please note that all personal oaths and many noble oaths have included variant flowery language (if approved beforehand by both independent heralds AND the accepters), and there's no reason why War Wizard oaths shouldn't also have embellishments, so long as this core is retained. I can say that Vangerdahast has been overheard to grunt: "Well enough, I accept your service. Swear to serve?"
[the response was: "Uh, yes."]
Vangey: "Right, you're in. Now, I order you to-"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  02:11:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

An example of a mind-reaming can be seen in my novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER; the oath appears in my 2004 questions thread here at the Keep, I believe (Sage? Kuje? Wooly? Alaundo? where is it, exactly, please? :}).

I'll be dipped if I know where it is... I've got two documents with the oath in them, and I searched each thread around the dates on the files, but no joy. At least one of those documents (possibly both) was copied from the now-defunct Yet Another Forgotten Realms Website.
Aye. Wooly's correct. I've searched the archives I've made with all of Ed's replies and I couldn't find an entry containing the "Oath of Loyalty." Searching through my other FR files, I noticed the "Oath" copied into a notebook I made from all of the Ed info posted on the YAFRWS. So that's where it was.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 May 2008 02:12:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  05:27:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you both, Wooly and Sage. I'm sure I posted that somewhere here at the Keep in answer to a query, but it might not have been in any Questions for Eddie thread. Sigh.
Markustay, I can tell you that many bits of Ed lore chopped out of Realms products by TSR and WotC editors have shown up later in subsequent FR products. Neither Ed nor the publishers want to waste any of that chocolaty Ed Realmslore goodness. However, by contract and by professional practice, Ed NEVER applies writing done for one company or setting to another. He may parody or take an opposing angle on a fantasy archetype (like dark elves), or re-use a well-established trope (idea) of fantasy, but applying, say, gnome lore from the Realms to Greyhawk just doesn't work, and mars both settings, so . . . no, Ed doesn't.
Now, as for joining the War Wizards: nice idea, but you're overlooking the fact that both Elminster and Khelben have been around for centuries, and have worked in and with Cormyr in many matters. Both were made War Wizards before Vangerdahast took over the organization (El even tutored Vangey), and though they won't submit to the authority of any latter-day Mage Royal, they're not above showing up and playing along, or even giving orders to War Wizards (Laspeera and Caladnei are both a little afraid of El and Khel, but welcome such interventions, because they've always been to the benefit of the Forest Kingdom, whereas Vangey resents the challenge to his authority, even when he grudgingly gives thanks or requests such aid).
This all comes from many conversations with Ed, down the years, not off the top of my head.
So, yes, Ed IS the insanely creative machine pumping out stuff you envisage . . .

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 May 2008 15:37:23
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  13:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Further to George's sterling Narfell/Raumathar post above, I'd just like to add that the novel Frostfell details some of the last days of Winterkeep where native mages had been corrupted and possessed by fiendish ice creatures. I can't remember all the details, but if someone else could that'd be just super.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  15:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
A black earth genasi from Mulhorand would be ridiculed if trying to make a living as, say, a lap dancer in a high-end city festhall or club, an attendant arranging tiny fragile ceramics or jewelry pieces in a crowded shop, or perhaps a fashion model...

Could you elaborate a bit on the "why" of this? That second one (arranger of jewelry and ceramics) is especially puzzling to me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  15:44:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah. Ed tells me he was speaking of the incongruity of a large-featured (massive muscles, large hands and fingers, "heavy" appearance) genasi trying to work in crowded, gleaming, ornate surroundings full of breakables. (The "bull in a china shop" image.)
Ed wasn't saying genasi are clumsy or wouldn't be able to perform the necessary tasks for such employment, Ed was pointing at the unlikelihood of anyone in, say, Suzail HIRING a "brutish-looking" genasi when they can select "shop help" from among dozens of tall, curvaceous, beautiful female human applicants. Who are 'traditionally' the sort of attendants found in such shops (as opposed to the owners or jewellers themselves, who may be dwarves, gnomes, or humans of any appearance; many are bespectacled [thanks to years of peering exactingly at tiny things] and frankly "dumpy" persons).
There. One potted explanation, served up fresh'n'hot . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  17:48:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for those Speedy Answers.

But I was hoping for a comment on "Raw Ed".

Just my immaturity showing through.

Anyhow, I think I was on the right track then - its not so much an granted title, but more like the title of "Elder Statesman" that an ex-U.S. President receives. It was earned in full at one time, and a person granted such a position is welcome to come back and 'serve' (in the loosest sense of the word).

I thought El may have been a former Mage Royal, but I was un-aware that Khelben may have been part of the organization at one time - I always pictured him meddling more in 'The North'. Was I right about their being other members of the 'old gaurd' still about in the Realms? I know that Vangy now has that honor as well, and I was wondering if there were any other ex-War Wizards that are famous (and current). Perhaps maybe a lich....

I'm glad to know that Ed creates seperately for each setting he works on, and I do hope that HIS Anchorome makes it into print someday.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Ah. Ed tells me he was speaking of the incongruity of a large-featured (massive muscles, large hands and fingers, "heavy" appearance) genasi trying to work in crowded, gleaming, ornate surroundings full of breakables. (The "bull in a china shop" image.)
Ed wasn't saying genasi are clumsy or wouldn't be able to perform the necessary tasks for such employment, Ed was pointing at the unlikelihood of anyone in, say, Suzail HIRING a "brutish-looking" genasi when they can select "shop help" from among dozens of tall, curvaceous, beautiful female human applicants. Who are 'traditionally' the sort of attendants found in such shops (as opposed to the owners or jewellers themselves, who may be dwarves, gnomes, or humans of any appearance; many are bespectacled [thanks to years of peering exactingly at tiny things] and frankly "dumpy" persons).
There. One potted explanation, served up fresh'n'hot . . .
love,
THO

That makes sense--thank you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  01:43:53  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Great lore
Go to Top of Page

Landro
Acolyte

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  05:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Landro's Homepage Send Landro a Private Message
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum, but one has to start somwhere.

I was wondering if there was much in the way of established lore on the topic of ArchLiches in the realms?

How does one become an archlich? Are the rituals any different than those used by regular liches, or does the future lich just suck up the evil and hope they don't get tainted too badly in the process? Are there any archliches of note outside the one alredy mentioned in Waterdeep: City of Splendors? How are they viewed by Faerun at large, or at least in the main centres?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Landro, while I'm sure Ed will have *something* to say on this, I recommend you find a copy of REF5 Lords of Darkness, which includes a section on liches in the Realms. In addition, Ed's discussed liches and the process of lichdom previously in his replies here at Candlekeep. You may also want to search through those compiled reply files for entries that contain the word "lich." Also, though it isn't specifically a Realms-tome, I would also recommend the 2e RAVENLOFT source:- Van Richten's Guide to the Lich. For me, it is the most accurate and detailed rendering of the lich ever to be published for the D&D canon.

Go to Top of Page

Landro
Acolyte

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  10:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Landro's Homepage Send Landro a Private Message
You will have to forgive me for my n00bishness here Sage, but I'm afraid that I seem unable to search for posts with specific words or phrases in them. Rather, I get directed to threads with the term in them, despite what it says in the FAQ.

Sadly, when the threads are 80+ pages each this isn't the most useful search result. Have I missed some blatantly simple option in the search features, or do I misunderstand what you mean by "compiled reply files" here?

I didn't recall any section specifically on Liches in LoD although I will be sure to check again at the earliest opportunity. 2e sources are a little before my source book collecting days I'm afraid...... but i'll keep my eyes peeled.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  11:48:16  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Landro

Have I missed some blatantly simple option in the search features, or do I misunderstand what you mean by "compiled reply files" here?

There are compilations of Ed's replies at:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/so_saith_ed.htm

That might be easier to search for any Ed quotes (at least pre 2008).

Gomez

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  13:49:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Landro

You will have to forgive me for my n00bishness here Sage, but I'm afraid that I seem unable to search for posts with specific words or phrases in them. Rather, I get directed to threads with the term in them, despite what it says in the FAQ.

Sadly, when the threads are 80+ pages each this isn't the most useful search result. Have I missed some blatantly simple option in the search features, or do I misunderstand what you mean by "compiled reply files" here?
Gomez has provided the link to the archived replies here at Candlekeep. That's the source I suggested you search through earlier.
quote:
I didn't recall any section specifically on Liches in LoD although I will be sure to check again at the earliest opportunity. 2e sources are a little before my source book collecting days I'm afraid...... but i'll keep my eyes peeled.
Keep in mind that I'm referring to the original Lords of Darkness tome:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9240.htm

And not the 3e version.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  16:05:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Also, when I "Search", the search words I use are highlighted, making it much easier (and faster!) to look through the pages and find what you want.

I just assumed it worked this way for everyone - doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  19:22:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, when I "Search", the search words I use are highlighted, making it much easier (and faster!) to look through the pages and find what you want.

I just assumed it worked this way for everyone - doesn't it?

It does. But since the search engine only directs you to the thread, and not the specific page within the thread, it can still prove tedious.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  19:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Isn't there an Arch-Lich template in some 3.obsolete book?

To get Ed's attention to the topic of Arch-Liches, please permit me to ask a question which I don't think has ever been specifically answered: in what way do Arch-Liches differ from Baelnorns (aside from not being Elves)?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  19:53:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Has anyone compiled a list of FR Liches?

Aside from flavor, I never really saw much differnce between Liches, Arch-Liches, and Baelnorns....

Now Demi-Liches, they are something very different.

Don't "The Skulls" of Skullport classify as a unique form of those? And hasn't at least one been destroyed?

I do so love my Liches.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2008 21:20:07
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  21:42:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I believe the Mythal of Undermountain is the Phlyachery of all the skulls in Undermountain, as long as it functions, the skulls can't be truly destroyed, don't quote me on this.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  03:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message

To get Ed's attention to the topic of Arch-Liches, please permit me to ask a question which I don't think has ever been specifically answered: in what way do Arch-Liches differ from Baelnorns (aside from not being Elves)?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  14:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
My question for Ed is, in what month (and maybe even, what day) did the fall of Netheril occur in -339 DR?? If this information is available (and I cannot find it in How the Mighty are Fallen or the Netheril boxed set or any other source so far). Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  19:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
quote:

It's in Monsters of Faerun p.90 under "Lich, Good."

It's a very abbreviated template, but says they have the same abilities as a normal lich, plus turn undead, animate dead, walk on water, and turning immunity.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  20:20:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

It's in Monsters of Faerun p.90 under "Lich, Good."

It's a very abbreviated template, but says they have the same abilities as a normal lich, plus turn undead, animate dead, walk on water, and turning immunity.

The 2E version had more abilities. They also had some innate ability to control some flavors of existing undead, and they also had nine spells that they could cast once per day without having to study them (the spell automatically reloaded in their memory after 24 hours).

I won't swear to it, but I think the archlich first appeared in Ed's SJR1 Lost Ships -- prolly my fave Spelljammer supplement (I still love some of those ships, and the gemsword is just too cool! ).

Monsters of Faerűn also lumped lythari in with lycanthropes, which I think violated the original intent of the critter for simplicity.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 May 2008 20:25:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000