Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Kalevala
Seeker

43 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  15:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message
THO, I'm just letting you and Ed know that I don't need my question (from back in August) answered anymore. I had to come up with my own descriptions, so naturally I'm sticking with those.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8518&whichpage=52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:00:13  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, Kalevala, if you don't mind, I'd still like Ed to answer your original query. I would like to read what he comes up with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Apr 2008 17:01:20
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  09:42:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO!
I have a question concerning the map of Eveningstar, in particuar the position of the Pillar Rock (local landmark; old tomb cave in base):

In Volo's Guide to Cormyr the 'Pillar Rock' is on the westsite of the Redhand Pool.
However, in the adventure module Waterdeep (Avatar Trilogy part 3) it is located on the eastern site of the pool.

I wonder which of those two locations is the correct one for the Pillar Rock and what is the other location than?

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Apr 2008 09:45:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all!
Ergdusch, Pillar Rock is indeed on the west side of the pool (it's a "tower" of rock the same height as the plateau/clifftop adjacent to it, left behind by erosion, with the tomb cavern inside.
The map location erroneously marked on the east side of the Pool is another, far more recent tomb, that NPC adventurers made for their fallen and tried to guard against beast despoilings by lining (walls and ceiling) with huge, heavy stone slabs.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:40:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again.
Kalevala, of COURSE you would use your own descriptions, and Ed apologizes for taking so long to get to your question (he still hasn't managed it, I'm afraid). Yet he WILL provide an answer when he can, so rest easy, Sage.
Right now, Ed is coping with the usual platter-full of problems. Including, just now, the sleepy aftermath of dealing with a restless litter of baby skunks at around 5 am, after finally settling down to sleep at 2 am.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all!
Ergdusch, Pillar Rock is indeed on the west side of the pool

It appears on the West side in Ed's "Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" (TSR 1992) module as well.

Ed, can you give any details about Old Tomb from a DM's perspective? Who is buried there? When? What is the tomb like? Traps? Plot hooks? ..and so on.

I also have a question regarding a room in the actual Haunted Halls dungeon in the "Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" module. In room 9, the "Red Chamber", there is a couch on which lays a maiden named Estrel who has been freshly murdered "for purposes of evil sorcery" (p. 17) by "a man, probably a thief called ´Ruathgrym´ (actually a local Zhentarim agent, now somewhere in the Stonelands)" (p. 18). Ed, could you expand a bit on the context of this room. This room appears to be a bit out of place, perhaps a fragment of another adventure or a remnant of the much larger original dungeon that you mention in the Introduction to the module. How did you envision this room fitting into the larger story of this Dungeon?

My group of relatively new players (4PCs @ level 3) are currently arriving in Eveningstar, and will soon be cutting their teeth, like so many others have, on the Haunted Halls.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 23 Apr 2008 04:36:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:27:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring more words from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in reply to Zandilar’s response of April 11th, which I’ve edited and numbered for clarity purposes (to better link Ed’s words with Zandilar’s):

[[regarding Ed’s comment on names]]
1. “What is "too modern"? I have my own ideas on what that is, but I'd be interested to see what you have to write on the matter. (ie: Is it the way the name sounds? The use of letters? Placement of vowels?)
Do the people of the Realms name their children after beloved rulers and others (whether currently active or historical figures) they might admire? From what you wrote there, I gather there aren't too many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen then?”

[[regarding Ed mentioning an NDA covering Myrmeen’s child]]
2. “If Myrmeen's child is going to be a factor in 4th Edition, she's going to be a very old lady (of the dead and buried variety old) by then (or he, I suppose, I'm still hoping it'll be a daughter - too many powerful females in Cormyr have gone and have either been replaced by male characters or not at all)... Unless, for some reason, Myrmeen's child has innate longevity, of course, or access magical items/potions that extend life...”

[[regarding Ed’s mention of Luckpriests in Arabel advocating the bestowal of ‘lucky’ names on newborns]]
3. “These "lucky" names, are they actually names Tymora has revealed to her priests, or is it some kind of scam to part people with their money? I normally wouldn't ask, but given the apparent flavour/nature of the Arabelan Church (in particular), I wouldn't put it past Daramos to come up with such a plan.”

[[regarding this, from Ed: “Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”]]
4. “Interesting. I am sure more than one "Thorn" hasn't lived up to it though... they can't all just magically become tomboys. But I may be a touch biased here, since, to me, tomboy is more than just appearance - it's attitude as well - as much nature as it is nurture.”

Ed replies:

1. In this context, for me, “too modern” is a vague ‘trips my wince-radar’ matter. If the spelling, sound of the name, or the actual wording (the name itself, or its meaning in any real-world language I happen to know of) causes me to pause or shudder, my radar has been tripped and the name needs fixing. I avoid real-world proper names wherever possible, but not real-world terms that happen to work (e.g. “florin” and “falcon” and “hand” all sounded ‘good’ together, as did “Tamper Tencoin” - - but I wouldn’t want to fill my tales with too many such names). The gate [portal] travel between “real-world Earth” and the Realms (plus the peregrinations of a select few NPCs such as Elminster) give us JUST enough wiggle room to sneak in SOME real-world words (again, “florin” is an example), but I did NOT want Galahads and Lancelots running around Faerűn.
Erik Scott de Bie’s recent fictional use of Fox and Twilight are just fine. I have in the past read (and spoken against) Realms book proposals that featured “Aragorn” and “Dirk McGrim” and these of course are decidedly NOT fine. One can evoke a mood with a name without copying a well-known fictional name (Howard’s “Thulsa Doom” is obviously off limits; I did not coin my Szass Tam as a deliberate copy, and the closest I came in meaning to “Doom” would be my Arbane, but I could readily imagine someone crafting a Realms name that evoked the sinister ‘sound’ of the name “Doom”).
The time jump allows the use of different naming styles, yet avoiding something too jarringly close to the real world is still desirable.
Some folk in the Realms do indeed name their children after beloved rulers and others they admire (both currently active and historical figures - - and if you include family ancestors as “historical figures” then that “Some folk” should be altered to read “Many folk”).
However, as you surmised, at the time my reply was set (pre-Spellplague), there weren’t many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen. She was personally admired, but still regarded as the highest officer of an oppressive “rule from down South.” A parent of Arabel might be wary of fellow locals thinking a child named Myrmeen signalled parentage involving illicit sexual relations with either Myrmeen herself, or one of her staff (note: I don’t mean that local citizens would think Myrmeen birthed a child named after her and gave her to childless parents of Arabel, but that parents might think they named the child to commemorate or celebrate a love affair with Myrmeen or a fellow Dragon officer “from Suzail or thereabouts”). Silly, yes, but I’m describing things as I see them being, not as they ought to be.

2. I can’t comment much here (that’s what NDAs mean), other than to say there’s been no confirmation that Myrmeen stopped at one child, that all of your speculations [[THO note: Zandilar’s words quoted earlier in this reply]] remain in play, and that this doesn’t mean 4e material will soon (or ever) mention Myrmeen or any progeny; sometimes NDAs safeguard possibilities that don’t get followed through on.

3. Yes, the church DID come up with this as a fundraising plan, but not out of any innate religious dishonesty or larceny; they hit upon the idea AFTER several names on that list were revealed to various priests during their prayers and dreams (the clergy of a particular local church of most non-oppressive faiths habitually discuss their prayer- and dream-visions and messages with each other, seeking to understand and reveal as much as possible of the will of the deity). One can be sure that if their notion had displeased Tymora, She would have made that abundantly - - and very swiftly - - clear. If necessary, to folk in Arabel outside the ranks of her clergy, so that the wayward deceit of her priests would soon be clear to all.

4. I quite agree that not all girls named Thorn automatically become tomboys. I meant that, given which children the name is bestowed upon, any such child who has the personal character to become what we would deem a “tomboy” is certainly going to get the chance to do so (experience in all the dirty, close-to-nature daily tasks of farm work, so no shielding from dirty, sweaty-work, blood and death, and no insistence on dainty clothing and the keeping of same clean).
When young, I had grandparents who lived in a small farming village, and while visiting them was delighted (too young for real sexual feelings here, just admiration) to meet and play with a young lass from a neighboring farm who was sent out in her best clothing and told to keep clean for Sunday school, but found a litter of newborn kittens in a dirty crawlspace under a garden shed - - so she calmly shucked all her clothes, hung them over bushes, crawled in to play with the kittens (and show them to the rest of the kids, including me, before leading us all in a tree-climbing “run”), washed the dirt off afterwards in a creek, put her clothes back on, and went off to the church.
Now, not all kids in that situation would doff the clothing and go and play, whether named Thorn or not. But of those who would, a lot of them were named Thorn. :}

So saith Ed. Who is, yes, as wildly busy as always, but still trying to furnish scribes with Realmslore whenever he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  04:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks for the info on those two depraved families there, Ed Greenwood. I think both of them are very nasty, though the Sultlues definitely come off as the worst one of the two. The Illances instead come off more as having some definite "pruning" needing in their family tree though. Their Marquis De Sade like enterprises will be definitely making an appearance in my game soon enough. The Sultues are a bit more likely to involve Infernal Cult Dealings in the future for my game.

Thanks for answering my query.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again Ed and THO

Query re Ranger Marks and Runes:

Are trail marks (generally) consistent across Faerun (so if a Ranger of the Hullack found herself in the Border Forest she would be able to read the runes?).

Do the clergy of the nature faiths have a co-ordinated approach to 'accepted' markings and runes, or does each faith have their own symbols? (am suspecting it might be a yes and no answer so the symbol for orcs is fairly consistent, but not for secret supply cache etc?).

Also how well known are Ranger marks? would an experienced traveller/adventurer/merchant know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc)?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  14:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well Again Ed and THO

Are trail marks (generally) consistent across Faerun (so if a Ranger of the Hullack found herself in the Border Forest she would be able to read the runes?).

Do the clergy of the nature faiths have a co-ordinated approach to 'accepted' markings and runes, or does each faith have their own symbols? (am suspecting it might be a yes and no answer so the symbol for orcs is fairly consistent, but not for secret supply cache etc?).

Also how well known are Ranger marks? would an experienced traveller/adventurer/merchant know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc)?

Thanks

Damian

For some reason, I seem to think that there is a small bit about this in the 1e grey box... which is unfortunately packed up in a box somewhere so I can't get to it to check.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
When young, I had grandparents who lived in a small farming village, and while visiting them was delighted (too young for real sexual feelings here, just admiration) to meet and play with a young lass from a neighboring farm who was sent out in her best clothing and told to keep clean for Sunday school, but found a litter of newborn kittens in a dirty crawlspace under a garden shed - - so she calmly shucked all her clothes, hung them over bushes, crawled in to play with the kittens (and show them to the rest of the kids, including me, before leading us all in a tree-climbing “run”), washed the dirt off afterwards in a creek, put her clothes back on, and went off to the church.

Awww, kittens. I can't say I blame her!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Apr 2008 15:49:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:49:57  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well Again Ed and THO

Thanks

Damian

For some reason, I seem to think that there is a small bit about this in the 1e grey box... which is unfortunately packed up in a box somewhere so I can't get to it to check.

I think you are thinking of the runes that are on the cardstock from the 2e box set. :) But there should also be some rune lore in the ranger write ups in the 1e and 2e box sets.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Apr 2008 16:40:38
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  18:27:34  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

ED, conjoined twins, can you give a regional take on such children, all they considered abberations, allowed to live?

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any elf region above or below ground
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

Thanks and hope for any tidbit.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind
ED, conjoined twins, can you give a regional take on such children, all they considered abberations, allowed to live?

Holy esoteric question, Batman!! I'm not saying it's irrelevant or anything. I'm sure it is important to your situation. I'm just stunned sometimes by the level of detail we get into regarding this fictitious Realm.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 23 Apr 2008 19:40:03
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

Hello All,

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

This one I am eagerly awaiting an answer to, Good question! I forsee a NPC forming with a sibling VERY close by.

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13562 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:58:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Sooooo...

If I get me a box of kittens, and put them under the crawlspace of my house, will you...

Awww... never mind... overactive imagination.

@THO - Once again Ed doesn't merely describe something; he paints a very clear picture in our heads.

Thank You for the new lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jun 2008 19:11:28
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

Hello All,

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

The only thing I can think of is that with the Thunder Blessing for the Dwarves there would have to be an increase in this sort of thing.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Sooooo...

If I get me a box of kittens, and put them under the crawlspace of my house, will you...

Awww... never mind... overactive imagination.

I think deliberately putting them there might be kind of mean--there are other (more comfortable) places to keep baby cats.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:19:32  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Yeesh, except for my cat Tasha, creatures of feline inclination loathe me. When cleaning my parents' front yard after a storm, one launched itself at me from their weeping willow.

It scored a critical hit.

Incidentally, I've an on-topic question for Mr. Greenwood, or THO, if you know the answer.

Compared to ordinary cats, how do Tressym behave? Are they inclined to be playful or more withdrawn? Additionally, given their intelligence, how well do those found near civilization get along with their neighbors? Do they have the same tendencies as normal cats (painstakingly cleaning themselves, sleeping a lot, etc.)? Anything else you could say would be appreciated.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  00:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Fantastic answers again, as usual!

quote:

Ed replies:

1. In this context, for me, “too modern” is a vague ‘trips my wince-radar’ matter. If the spelling, sound of the name, or the actual wording (the name itself, or its meaning in any real-world language I happen to know of) causes me to pause or shudder, my radar has been tripped and the name needs fixing.
<snip>
Erik Scott de Bie’s recent fictional use of Fox and Twilight are just fine. I have in the past read (and spoken against) Realms book proposals that featured “Aragorn” and “Dirk McGrim” and these of course are decidedly NOT fine. One can evoke a mood with a name without copying a well-known fictional name (Howard’s “Thulsa Doom” is obviously off limits; I did not coin my Szass Tam as a deliberate copy, and the closest I came in meaning to “Doom” would be my Arbane, but I could readily imagine someone crafting a Realms name that evoked the sinister ‘sound’ of the name “Doom”).

There's at least one author I could name who, IMHO, manages to get some of the most godawful names (or completely inappropriate but would be fine in a real world setting) in to their work in the Realms... I wish you had a bit more say on these things.

quote:
Some folk in the Realms do indeed name their children after beloved rulers and others they admire (both currently active and historical figures - - and if you include family ancestors as “historical figures” then that “Some folk” should be altered to read “Many folk”).
However, as you surmised, at the time my reply was set (pre-Spellplague), there weren’t many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen. She was personally admired, but still regarded as the highest officer of an oppressive “rule from down South.” A parent of Arabel might be wary of fellow locals thinking a child named Myrmeen signalled parentage involving illicit sexual relations with either Myrmeen herself, or one of her staff (note: I don’t mean that local citizens would think Myrmeen birthed a child named after her and gave her to childless parents of Arabel, but that parents might think they named the child to commemorate or celebrate a love affair with Myrmeen or a fellow Dragon officer “from Suzail or thereabouts”). Silly, yes, but I’m describing things as I see them being, not as they ought to be.

Leaping off onto a tangent here, what kinds of things would your average Arabelans site as "oppressive"? What is it about the rule of the Obarskyrs in particular that sets them off? Or is it simply that anyone ruling Arabel other than Arabel is going to be thought of as oppressive even if it's the most liberal and enlightened ruler in the history of Faerun? And is this just amongst the nobles of the city, or all folks?

If Arabel did managed to succeed in seceding from Cormyr, would it be capable of standing on its own?

Marsember seems to be in the same boat as well - do they have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr, or is it simply a desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independant"?

quote:
2. I can’t comment much here (that’s what NDAs mean), other than to say there’s been no confirmation that Myrmeen stopped at one child, that all of your speculations [[THO note: Zandilar’s words quoted earlier in this reply]] remain in play, and that this doesn’t mean 4e material will soon (or ever) mention Myrmeen or any progeny; sometimes NDAs safeguard possibilities that don’t get followed through on.

So in other words, NDAs that serve no purpose any more may never be lifted? So even when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - is that what you're saying?

The last answer, about Thorn, I won't quote in full here... But it did inspire one more question...

Just how common is it for a person to adopt a new name later in life - whether because the simply didn't like their birth name, or because they somehow "earned" a new one? Are there any cultures in Faerun that have a ceremony (or something) when the person comes of age where they get to choose a new name to replace their birth name? (Using my own experiences as an example for choosing a new name when you're an "adult": I recall when I was at a catholic primary school, we were compelled to do research on saint names when we were the right age, to take up a confirmation name (at 11, which I believe now is actually rather young)... As I was (and still am) not baptized, I wasn't actually able to be confirmed, but I still had to go through the process of name research because they couldn't make an exception for me.)

quote:

Awww! How cute! I hope that young lass grew up to be as confident and assertive as she seems from that story.

quote:
Now, not all kids in that situation would doff the clothing and go and play, whether named Thorn or not. But of those who would, a lot of them were named Thorn. :}

It really is a cool name.

quote:

So saith Ed. Who is, yes, as wildly busy as always, but still trying to furnish scribes with Realmslore whenever he can.

Which is always appreciated by us!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  03:33:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you yet more words of Realmslore from Ed of the Greenwood himself, this time to several scribes [all of your queries have been sent to Ed, and he'll answer some of the others at greater individual length]:

To Charles Phipps, Ed says:

You’re quite welcome, enjoy, and I’d love to hear (eventually, as play unfolds) if anything fun or unusual arose out of using these two darkhearted families in your campaign, that you don’t mind sharing more widely (don’t want to ruin things for your players).

To crazedventurers, Ed says:

Hi, Duncan! Yes, trail marks ARE (generally) consistent across Faerun (so a Ranger of the Hullack who found herself in the Border Forest could indeed able to read MOST of the runes).
I say “most” because some of the marks have changed a bit over time (centuries) and, yes, as you surmised, some faiths and local mark-makers who realize that foes have learned what their marks mean have added subtle variants, false marks, special new marks, and so on. “Secret Supply Cache” would indeed be one of those new marks.
Peddlers and other experienced traveller/adventurer/merchants would indeed know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc).

And to Zandilar, Ed says:

As far as names go, I too wish I had a bit more say. Sometimes just changing the spelling of a name so it isn’t so obviously real-world is enough. However, complaining about the agreement after I made it is hardly fair or honest, and ’tis what it is.

To the nobles and “old money yet now impoverished or shopkeeping” families of Arabel, who set the social tone for the city, it IS “simply that anyone ruling Arabel other than Arabel is going to be thought of as oppressive even if it's the most liberal and enlightened ruler in the history of Faerun.” It should be noted that in the past when folk of Arabel became courtiers and returned to their city to assist in Crown rule, they were dismissed as “traitors,” so some suspect that this local attitude is self-serving (they’d complain about oppressors even if they came to be ruled by a king born and bred in Arabel).
Not all folk in Arabel feel this way, but those less prosperous (and the few wealthy and bluebloods who disagree) don’t really dare to say so openly, for fear of being shunned (so, no trade and income, and eventual forced departure from the community, or starve) or (among the haughtier) socially cast out.

As for Arabel succeeding on its own, apart from Cormyr, that depends. :}
I’m not trying to weasel out of answering you, I’m honestly stating that there are too many variables to answer this definitively without also deciding all of them.
For instance: if war or the spread of Shade stops overland trade through the northern mountain passes from the Moonsea and the northern Dales, Arabel would become just a base for mining, foraging, and ranching (assuming Shade didn’t conquer). Then it would end up fighting constant skirmishes with bandits and creatures of the Stonelands (and again, the Zhent presence in the Stonelands becomes a variable here, as does the strength of goblinkin forces and the various “desert” tribes of Anauroch, and whether or not anyone in the Dales or Sembia wants to try to conquer Arabel).
If Cormyr ever simply turned its back on Arabel and withdrew without violence, and no one else tried to conquer it (Sembia, Shade, and everyone else “ignoring” it), Arabel could certainly survive as a trade-moot and way-stop on trade routes . . . but it would be a very different Arabel, inside the walls, from the Arabel we know.
Marsember is very similar: the nobles “set” local attitudes, and gain much local support from those under them from the many petty grievances that arise when an “occupying garrison” is permanently in town. The nobles certainly believe they “have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr,” (although some of them conveniently overlook the intertwined early history and bloodlines they share with “those oppressors from Suzail”), but for most citizens of Marsember, it IS simply a vague desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independent.” (Those “ways” being largely romanticized and improved through nostalgia and believing the outright lies of certain nobles.)

On the topic of NDAs: sometimes NDAs that no longer serve a purpose just never get lifted, but more often they are prolonged “just in case.” It’s possible that when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - - or we may have to wait some years while, say, someone crafting an RPGA module works up this lore as a back story, or a novelist ponders using it for a book (the Books Department having kept it “cloaked” so that it can serve this purpose).
Please note that I’m NOT saying this is what specifically will happen or that this is planned for Myrmeen and her child. I’m just trying to be clear WHY silences sometimes fall regarding specific bits of lore. We all like to learn all we can about the Realms, even though doing so can sometimes strip away delicious mystery and the sense of wonder, but leaving background lore vague gives writers, designers, editors, and even outside licensors more freedom to develop new things. [This is probably one of the reasons behind the way the 4e Realms is being handled.]

Regarding your question: “Just how common is it for a person to adopt a new name later in life - whether because they simply didn't like their birth name, or because they somehow "earned" a new one? Are there any cultures in Faerun that have a ceremony (or something) when the person comes of age where they get to choose a new name to replace their birth name?”
Yes, many folk in the Realms who leave their home community (often as traders or apprentices) simply take whatever new name they want to (only a few places have really organized tax rolls and the means to maintain them [Cormyr’s War Wizards being the strongest of such means]).
Mercenaries and adventurers customarily take new names when they rise to fame, if they don’t like the sound of their original name or are trying to evade creditors, angry parents, et al - - or they have nicknames thrust upon them by others.
ALL newcomers to a specific locale in the Realms will suffer pressure to alter or at least augment their name if someone in the same trade is already known locally by the same or a similar name (in some guild-prominent cities and towns, this is actually law). So if you’re a swordsmith named Telver and you set up shop in a place that already has a Telver who’s a swordsmith or a general weaponsmith or even a trainer-of-the-blade, you’ll have to use some other name, or at least become “Telver the New” or “Telver the Tall” or “Telver O’ The Beard” or “Telver the Tethyrian” or some other variant of Telver.
There are also both faiths in the Realms where priests take new names when attaining a certain temple rank (Semoor Wolftooth of the Knights of Myth Drannor became “Jelde Asturien”), and communities and lands (most of the Dales, Turmish, the Starmantle area, Elturel, Neverwinter, Silverymoon) where anyone coming of age can officially take a new name of their choosing (so long as it doesn’t cause local confusion, as above with Telver, AND to avoid scoundrels from pretending to be of a prominent local family [or worse yet, nobility] by taking the same surname.
As for the young disrobing-for-kittens lass: I’ve seen her only twice after that (a few years elapsing between each glimpse), but the last I heard, she’d moved to the USA as a rising young executive, and married and later shed a husband, so I’d have to judge that, yes, she must have become or remained “confident and assertive.”

So saith Ed. Oh, and Markustay: you don’t need a box of kittens. Just walk up to me, smile, and say, “Take your clothes off, please,” and I probably will. So long as it doesn’t endanger (dangerously distract) others, I don’t mind in the slightest. (It’s probably better to first say, “THO? I’ve so much to ask you; mind if we stroll over into yonder park?” and then spring the disrobing request on me the moment we’re apart from others. Not that I mind admiring audiences, or need the park to be particularly private. I may hand you my garments to carry, though, which may hamper whatever you planned to do next.

Ahem.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Apr 2008 03:35:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  13:48:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
To crazedventurers, Ed says:
Yes, trail marks ARE (generally) consistent across Faerun <<SNIPPED>>

Thank you for the quick response.

I have a 'standard' set for the Storm Horns and Thunderpeaks, will tweak slightly for 'elsewhere', (the Lady Ranger from my campaign will be pleased when she ends up in a different wood to the one she is used to).

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Marsember seems to be in the same boat as well - do they have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr, or is it simply a desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independant"?

Some would say that's a legitimate reason.

Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Seeker

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:25:01  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage  Send IlexGarodan an AOL message Send IlexGarodan a Private Message
Greetings, Lord Greenwood!

I have a simple question for you.. What is the highest mountain peak in Faerűn, and where is it located? I ask because my players are seeking even greater power, and their patron deity is going to give them an.. interesting quest.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by - IlexGarodan on 24 Apr 2008 19:26:35
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:07:13  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
"On the topic of NDAs: sometimes NDAs that no longer serve a purpose just never get lifted, but more often they are prolonged “just in case.” It’s possible that when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - - or we may have to wait some years while, say, someone crafting an RPGA module works up this lore as a back story, or a novelist ponders using it for a book (the Books Department having kept it “cloaked” so that it can serve this purpose).
Please note that I’m NOT saying this is what specifically will happen or that this is planned for Myrmeen and her child. I’m just trying to be clear WHY silences sometimes fall regarding specific bits of lore. We all like to learn all we can about the Realms, even though doing so can sometimes strip away delicious mystery and the sense of wonder, but leaving background lore vague gives writers, designers, editors, and even outside licensors more freedom to develop new things. [This is probably one of the reasons behind the way the 4e Realms is being handled.]

Quoted by Hooded One

Mannnnn,

I was so sincerely hoping the the NDA walls of all of our past ?'s were going to come down harder than the statues of Saddam in Iraq. This SUCKS! Especially since WOTC has stated that "too much backround material for new gamers coming in. We're going to slim it down." Up until this point, I wasn't really wishing WOTC to fail in this reset (okay, maybe a little). I was just enjoying reading the responses of the rabble up in arms. Now, I hope this all comes crashing down around their ankles. Right now, I'm too angry to be articulate right now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000