Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  00:13:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
You are correct, or furriest of hamsters.
Archlich did first appear in lost ships, a spelljammer ship crash
landed on some planet, and the archlich in questions is looking
to take back to the flow.
Spelljammer was just cool stuff.

Hey, has anybody ever used the 4 lost sons of Arvandaar as a
hook or basis for a game, just wondering?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  01:55:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Landro

How does one become an archlich? Are the rituals any different than those used by regular liches, or does the future lich just suck up the evil and hope they don't get tainted too badly in the process?
Given that the usual lichnee process, most fully described in REF5 Lords of Darkness, involves things like the blood of an infant, the process for archliches is not the same. It's best described in SJR1 Lost Ships [yes, I love that book too! ]. Of course, for a PC, finding that process is not as simple as looking it up in a book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  02:22:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 May 2008 02:25:30
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  04:46:17  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...

In the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2, there is a Red Wizard who has done just this, though it was not so much for the cheating death principle as it was to facilitate his experiments. With a clay golem form, he was able to handle highly volatile magical substances and hot cauldron contents with ease.

A snippet of my sparse Realms knowledge for you.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  20:03:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Markustay, what SORT (wink, giggle) of comment were you looking for, re. “Raw Ed”? After all these years, I can make SO many . . .
And yes, Ed did create archliches for LOST SHIPS (after obtaining design approval from the TSR designers of the day to include a “good lich” in the game, to support some good or at least benign to PCs liches that had appeared in fiction and game products).
As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 May 2008 20:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  23:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Heh. Raw Ed. Reminds me of his comment some years back at GenCon: "Make my writing less raw? As in, I should do it on a platter with an apple in my mouth?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  02:13:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
Markustay, what SORT (wink, giggle) of comment were you looking for, re. “Raw Ed”? After all these years, I can make SO many . . .
And yes, Ed did create archliches for LOST SHIPS (after obtaining design approval from the TSR designers of the day to include a “good lich” in the game, to support some good or at least benign to PCs liches that had appeared in fiction and game products).
As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

That section of Drow of the Underdark has long been one of my favorite bits, and one of these days, I'll finish writing up the NPC spawned (in part) by that idea (I had the idea beforehand, but that part of the book gave me the necessary "how").

It's kind of ironic that turning into some form of the walking dead was judged better to get by the Moral Majority than other methods of cheating death. But that does explain the game's heavy prevalence of undead mages, as opposed to other ways of sticking around for longer than allotted.

I found that Proton Fire preview, in Dragon 99. I also found the blurb in issue 101 saying it's being repackaged for Star Frontiers... I'm going to have to read that, in a bit.

Even though I wasn't specifically asking a question, I was hoping Ed would comment on that. As always, it proved enlightening!

Edit: Oops, I meant that I wasn't specifically asking a question.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 May 2008 04:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  02:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

It's kind of ironic that turning into some form of the walking dead was judged better to get by the Moral Majority than other methods of cheating death.

I was thinking the same thing...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  03:01:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I found that Proton Fire preview, in Dragon 99. I also found the blurb in issue 101 saying it's being repackaged for Star Frontiers... I'm going to have to read that, in a bit.
I remember that! I just don't recall which SF book that stuff was included in. I'll have to check.
quote:
Even though I was specifically asking a question, I was hoping Ed would comment on that. As always, it proved enlightening!
Indeed. I love it when Ed elaborates on these particular aspects of the Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  10:20:51  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by The Hooded One

As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics

Funnily, I first that as the infernal Code of Ethics. Coincidence? I think not.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  22:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Hear, hear! Hearty echoings from me. Ed will provide lore to supplement George’s recent and superb Realmslore reply in this thread, but has some other replies to provide this time around, to an array of questions from a “novice Brazilian DM” named “Cad” (I believe) passed on to us all by Chosen of Moradin: “I´m creating an adventure based near Espar, in Cormyr, and need of some help to start with my players.
The place will be like a base for the group, the players give their character choices: a paladin of Tyr, son of a baron; a human barbarian; a sorcerer with draconic heritage that want to be a war wizard; a dwarf, priest of Moradin; a warrior of the cormyrean army; and a black earth genasi from Mulhorand(???).
Questions:
1. How can a player character enter to the War Wizards and to the Purple Dragon? (to the organizations, to the PrC is well documented).
2. There is the possibility of exist a Cormyrean barbarian? And what will be the more plausible option?
3. About the nobles, how is the organization of the Cormyrean nobility (titles, hierarchies, etc.)
4. How could I handle the "ordainment" of a paladin of Tyr
5. How could I handle a presence of a Mulhorand genasi, how the Cormyreans will interact with him?”
Ed replies:

For joining the War Wizards: the sorcerer will be required to register (give his name, place of origin, intended place of dwelling or route of travel within the realm, blood sample, and sigil if any) with the War Wizards, just as any arcane spellcaster is. If he expressly asks to join the Wizards of War, he’ll be told (by any War Wizard NPC) the polite equivalent of “Don’t call us; we’ll call you.” However, he will also be watched covertly and closely from that moment on (including by War Wizards using spells to spy on him and listen to his utterances, from afar). The War Wizards want all adventurer-wizards active in Cormyr to be bound by adventuring charter, or to leave the realm, or to serve the Crown, or to join their ranks, so unless the sorcerer is a “bad apple” (flouts the laws and behavioural norms of the kingdom often and casually), he will eventually be asked to join. Which will mean he ends up serving as a spy or open reporter on the deeds of his adventuring companions, and can be ordered (usually by a testy Vangerdahast or another senior gruff old Wizard of War, if your Realms campaign has the War Wizards run by someone else, such as Caladnei) to undertake all sorts of dangerous tasks (read: ways you the DM can drag the PCs into adventures) at any time. The actual joining will involve mind-reaming (an exhausting mind-meld spell in which a senior War Wizard who can easily mentally overpower the PC sorts through all of the PC’s memories and sees EVERYTHING, so let’s hope the PC doesn’t have too shady a past) and then the swearing of an oath. An example of a mind-reaming can be seen in my novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER; the oath appears in my 2004 questions thread here at the Keep, I believe (Sage? Kuje? Wooly? Alaundo? where is it, exactly, please? :}).
For joining the Purple Dragons: the soldiery of Cormyr is always short of strength, these days, and simply volunteering at any garrison location is enough to get a PC “halfway in.” There’s an oath of loyalty (simplify it from the War Wizard one, with loyalty sworn to the ruling monarch; if your campaign is during the Steel Regency, the oath will specify serving Azoun V directly or “through the Regent, and none other”), the signing of a “bond” (simple contract, with pay specified; the PC will start as an “armsman” or trainee soldier, at 1 cp/day plus room and board; pay will increase to 1 sp/day for any sort of “combat duty,” and mounts and all gear are provided free of charge; pay will also increase as more training is mastered, and of course increases with rank; there are various notations over the three-and-ongoing years of this thread as to pay, rank, et al, plus the rank table given in POWER OF FAERUN), mind-reaming again (by a middling-level War Wizard), and then assignment to a trainee “patrol” at a garrison.
Please note: whereas PC adventurer War Wizards are typically “fairly free” to go adventuring, PC Purple Dragons are NOT. Being a soldier of the Crown means military duty, darned near all your waking hours, not racing off to delve into dungeons or pick fights with monsters or anyone else. Trainees are not going to be sent into danger or anywhere near any royalty or sensitive areas, unless the realm gets plunged suddenly into war.

No, there are no Cormyrean barbarians. Which doesn’t mean there can’t be a “barbarian” IN Cormyr. This would most likely be an unlettered, untutored “backwilds” human who’s wandered south from a subsistence-level family in the northernmost reaches of Thar or the Sword Coast North (Ice Mountains vicinity, or fled from a more westerly Uthgardt tribe thanks to a blood feud, oathbreaking, or other trouble; any human from the Sword Coast North is likely to have been displaced by strengthening orc activity). There’s also the slim possibility of having come from subsistence-level Nar or other human family from somewhere between the Great Dale and Sossal, but you’ll have to come up with “how the character got to Cormyr.” Myself, I’d use a gate/portal, but then you’ll have to decide if the character can find or use that gate again, or (preferably) if it’s been lost or destroyed.

The nobility of Cormyr are a large and complicated topic that I haven’t even begun to address properly in print. Pre-Spellplague, there may be as many as 120 noble families, if you count all of the exile, banished, possibly-extinct ones. There are generally about forty wealthy and influential noble families in Cormyr, with a dozen or so really powerful ones that a PC “son of a baron” can’t possibly be from. Most of them are called “lord” or “lady” in general daily parlance; there aren’t enough “barons” in Cormyr for a PC to easily be from a Cormyrean family and still be the “son of a baron.” I’d suggest that the PC either be from the Cormaeril family (recently lost noble status and most wealth and lands, though individuals are still allowed to serve the Crown as soldiers, earn ranks and titles, and remain as citizens, perhaps becoming ennobled in the future in their own right rather than because of their blood) or an exiled family (again, is the son of a baron but that now means nothing except suspicion in Cormyr), or hales from the nobility of Chessenta or perhaps Tethyr. As a DM, consider carefully what advantages you are handing the PC if they can call on noble privileges, wealth, and connections whenever they feel the need.

As for the ordainment of a paladin of Tyr, there are two elements here: the “Trueing” (the official ceremony or ritual in which a paladin is “sanctified” to “ride forth as an arm of Tyr,” dispensing justice, fighting injustice, and generally being a paladin in the name of the god, able to call upon and even command the support of His church), and the “Testing” that leads up to this ceremony: the Great Task that anyone desiring to become a paladin must successfully complete in order to be granted paladinhood.
I would suggest that a PC paladin begin play by having to carry out this Task with the aid of a “band of companions” (the rest of the PCs) so as to force him or her to become part of a team rather than being the loner he/she has hitherto been, and that this Task be some sort of dangerous adventuring mission in Cormyr, perhaps recovering a holy relic stolen from a temple of Tyr by someone wealthy and powerful in Cormyr (a senior courtier, a noble, or a wealthy and powerful merchant in one of the three cities; in other words, a major and tricky task). If the PC fails, there may be severe social consequences for all of the PCs in Cormyr, but the Church of Tyr understands that daring and danger holds forth the possibility of failure, and will merely assign another Task. HOW the PC paladin carries out the task is of utmost importance: he/she must try their utmost not to break any laws, and not to create any injustice by their deeds and words or through what they failed to say or do. Simple for me to outline, but can be VERY hard for a player to guide their character through, without missteps, in the hands of a good DM.

Cormyr is a tolerant, “crossroads” trading land; citizens of all of its three cities and all waystop communities along its central and eastern roads are used to seeing all manner of “strange outlanders.” Unless they look very like a known or legendary “dangerous monster” (for most Cormyreans, known monsters include carrion crawlers, doppelgangers in their “native” form or seen during shapeshifting, and goblins; legendary perils include drow, illithids, and dragons), the treatment a particular “outlander” receives depends on how he or she behaves. A black earth genasi from Mulhorand would be ridiculed if trying to make a living as, say, a lap dancer in a high-end city festhall or club, an attendant arranging tiny fragile ceramics or jewelry pieces in a crowded shop, or perhaps a fashion model, but would otherwise generally be treated as “just another trader” or laborer (“Ho, touch of giant blood in that one, I’d say!”). On the other hand, a black earth genasi from Mulhorand who set up a bone altar and prayed to orc gods would get attacked, pronto. If the player handles the PC according to what RACES OF FAERUN says about the attitude and demeanor of most earth genasi, the character should be accepted readily by Cormyreans (though they may glance at him or her twice, or stare with interest, just because the character is a tad “different” and therefore interesting).

So saith Ed, who remains frantically busy, and begs your patience as he continues to make Realmslore replies when he can. Keep those questions (and rants and hellos and everything else, too) coming.
love to all,
THO

Thanks for the awesome answer! I pass it to Cad (a nickname, not a real name ), and expect that he have much fun in his new campaign.

Again, thanks to Ed, THO, Woolly, and everyone here at the keep.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 23 May 2008 23:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  04:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Isn't there an Arch-Lich template in some 3.obsolete book?

It's in Monsters of Faerun p.90 under "Lich, Good."

It's a very abbreviated template, but says they have the same abilities as a normal lich, plus turn undead, animate dead, walk on water, and turning immunity.

Liches (or perhaps only arch-liches) in the Realms also have a single obsession (Ed has already revealed that the obsession of the Lady of Spellgard was Elminster). I don't know if both liches and arch-liches have this hang-up. Baelnorns certainly do!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  14:11:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed did you create the Do-king, the undead giant leader and if yes what would you say it's been up to prior to the death of Mystra?

This breeding between the quaggoth and orcs of the North that is mentioned in the Drow of the Underdark book would produce what exactly by your estimation? This offshoot would hold it's loyalty to which race if either?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  15:01:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
As I recall, it was Eric Boyd who, inspired by the "Cairn" article in DRAGON #254, created the Dodking and Cairnheim in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. It got more coverage in Underdark. Additionally, the Dodkong features, briefly, in Jess Lebow's Master of Chains.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  16:23:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

This breeding between the quaggoth and orcs of the North that is mentioned in the Drow of the Underdark book would produce what exactly by your estimation? This offshoot would hold it's loyalty to which race if either?

I think these cross-breeds are included in the Shadowdale-adventure found in the 2ed. Campaign setting. No full Monstrous Compendium sheet was included though. Any one remember the name of the creature? I don't have the book handy at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  08:15:52  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
Quoted from the Beneath the Twisted Tower adventure -
"The shaggy orc-like creatures are in fact half-orcs, half-quaggoths, known as boogins - proof, once again, that orcs will mate with almost anything humanoid. The boogins are more intelligent than quaggoths and thus better able to coordinate their attacks and follow orders. Those not carrying two-handed swords fight with spiked clubs."

Just a brief stat block for them, not much else.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  17:18:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
You people are th bestest!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  18:59:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Boogins... just TOO funny.

Anyhow, thanks for all the great lore once a again.

I had the pleasure of adding to the 'Drow Biomech' in the Elven Netbook project, including some rules about their design and common uses (Lolth's magic isn't exactly geared to healing, hence the Drow reliance on magi-tech to replace limbs). It makes my heart feel good remembering Ed's lore on that.

Now, for a question:
Does the new edition now mean Ed can work on some things that didn't quite fit before, like the clone-liches just mentioned? The new FR seems somewhat 'grittier', so perhaps some of Ed's 'less savory' concepts can finally find a home.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2008 21:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  08:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message
Question:

All politics aside, has it occurred to Ed that Barack is awfully close to the Dwarven word for Backbone or Strength, which I noticed last night as I was flipping through an old copy of Dwarves Deep?

I know Ed couldn't have known when he wrote it over a decade ago... then again, maybe he has precognitive powers we don't know about...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Reiterating a previous request: When responding to or thanking THO/Ed for a post, please only quote or C-and-P that portion of the post that's necessary for your response. There's an awful lot of text to get through in this thread without reading the same answers five or six times.

Not that I mind re-reading Ed's text (quite the contrary), but two- and three-screen quotes with two line replies tend to strain both my eyes and my scrolling fingers.

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  02:29:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I must apologize to all scribes; I got called away on an urgent work assignment and had no leisure Net access for a few days.
When I returned, I found that Ed has been wildly busy, too, but did find time to pen replies to TWO outstanding questions from this thread (and mention he’ll get to Melvaunt as soon as he can).
First, to Longtime Lurker’s query: “Quick campaign question for Ed or THO: if I need to build a sturdy, year-round-habitable but modest home in the Dales VERY QUICKLY, and can't call on magic, how should I do it? Type of construction, whom to call on, how much expect to pay? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

I’m going to assume a cave you can defend against bears, etc. isn’t handy, okay?
Here’s the fast way. Find unclaimed land (enough for a small vegetable garden plus a one-room home, with a spring or access to running water).
Find two trees of good size (trunks as thick as your thigh), with one of them splitting into a crotch/”Y”/fork about twenty feet up. Fell them, arrange them on the ground in an arrowhead shape with one fitting into the crotch of the other at the “point” of the arrow, notch the straight forkless one so it’ll “stay” in the crotch and not slip, tie a good stout rope around that joint to hold it in place and to provide “haulage,” then cut a third good stout tree about sixty feet tall or more (so there’s at least fifty feet of stout trunk).
Haul (with some friends or hirelings) on the rope to raise the arrowhead of two trunks upright, and peg the rope to the ground to keep it that way. That’s your front wall frame. Run a small wagon in under the upright arrow and raise the third, long tree-trunk on it, using wooden props, rope, hauling (and the usual swearing!), to reach the arrowhead. Then notch it as necessary to fit one end of it OVER (on top of, without slipping) the arrowhead, and that becomes the ridgepole of your roof. Pull the wagon out, and fell and saw lesser trees (flat side in, leave bark on and put bark side out) to overlap each other along the ridgepole, both sides. Cover with earth, moss, and so on, and you have a rough earth wigwam, requiring posts and boards only to fill in that front wall frame and make a door. Find flat stones to line as much of the floor as possible to prevent it ALL becoming mud in wet weather, and start hunting furry things to make sleeping furs before winter.
Wealthier folks who have or who can buy a wagon can use it as the “backbone” of the house. Just park it where you want to the house, cut wood to make stout props under the axles to take all weight off the wheels, and start sheathing its walls until you have posts enough to support a roof. Again, seal with mud, encourage plants to grow all over it to anchor it, and you’re done.
It’ll be neither comfortable nor stylish, but it’s fast, cheap, and if you can build a cooking oven facing its front wall and heat stones to sleep with, of nights, it’ll keep you alive through most winters.
So you’ll need some friends with tools and strength enough to cut and haul wood, and/or a wagon, and/or enough coin to hire some woodcutters (who will have their own horses, and will easily have skill enough for this sort of “rough raising” of buildings). Expect to pay a copper/man/day (he’ll have his own tools, and will be able to build a simple one-long-room lodging like this in three days at most; a gang of five or six should be able to do it in one day, barring blizzard or goblin attacks.

So saith Ed. Who also tackled this query, from A Gavel: “Hello Ed and Lady THO, I am intrigued by the possibility that Ed's "home" Realms campaign includes not just plane-hopping, but world hopping. Have the Knights or other Realms-based PCs ever visited Aglirta/Darsar, Castlemourn, Embersea, or any other fictional settings (Ed's or those of other writers)? Thank you.”
Ed replies:

Yes, I have run PCs through the Wood Between The Worlds (as envisaged by William Morris) to (briefly) reach the alternate “Otherwhen” Earth of H. Beam Piper’s Lord Kalvan. They have also met some mysterious gate-hopping travelers who may or may not have been Amberites (as in: Roger Zelazny). I have never plunged them into any fictional worlds belonging to a living fantasy author except me (Darsar, far from Aglirta), and because of the subtle way some gates have operated, they have actually been in these “other worlds” more than they ever realized.
Once, in a winter wood, the Knights THOUGHT I was showing them the lamp-post of Lewis’s Narnia, in the distance, but when they got there, it was actually the leaning marker that features at the end of the classic John Bellairs novel THE FACE IN THE FROST (for those who haven’t read it - - and everyone should!!! - - I won’t ruin the book by explaining more about what that marker is).
When they tumbled to what they were seeing, their faces were a picture. It was a wonderful moment (THO, for instance, actually shivered).

I did indeed, and it WAS a great moment. Not, for scribes who might misinterpret this, a “DM gets the players” moment, because Ed doesn’t run games like that, ever. It was a shared “oooh” moment of quiet, hushed awe.
[shiver]
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 May 2008 02:30:58
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  02:43:25  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Thank you. If you're ever in the mood, Ed, I'd love to hear more. You seem to understand worldbuilding more than many fantasy authors I've read or conversed with. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  02:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Thanks, Ed! I'm off to the Old Skull to hire me some strapping woodcutters! Woodland hovel, here I come!
I assume from your description that this thing is going to have a "living roof" after a season or so, and heaped earth insulation on both sides, so aside from the bit that could actually collapse on me if I covered it with dirt, the thing's going to like a little hill?
LL
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  02:51:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You assume correctly, LL. That's exactly what Ed was describing (because he's described several nigh-identical Shadowdale dwellings over the years). He also left out the "dig the latrine far from the stream, with tree-roots between" bit, but I can assure you it should be in there. He must be VERY busy and distracted right now, poor thing.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  19:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
Greetings THO and, by extension, Ed.

I was wondering if you were thinking of any particular tune when you wrote the words to the Cormyte's Boast. I'd like to be able to imitate drunken louts belting it out in a Tavern, but can't seem to come up with a melody line that works.

For scribes unfamiliar with it, the song, written by master bard Chanthalas, is included with all it's verses in Volos Guide to Cormyr (p. 165). Here's the chorus:

"And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir.
For whate'er king o'er all command
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir."

Love,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 28 May 2008 21:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I'm sorry this post is so late in the discussion, but with server problems, a slooow dial-up connection, etc. ...

On Monday BBC published a story about Lindbergh's deranged quest for immortality (that's Charles Lindbergh, the aviator). Far from being deranged, as the title states, Lindbergh and his hench-scientist, Alexis Carrel, developed the perfusion pump which is the basis of the heart-lung machine. Why? Because Lindbergh was "obsessed" with the idea of creating a machine to hold a human consciousness (or mechanical enhancements for humans) which would extend the human lifespan indefinitely. I wonder if he ever read Van Richten's Guide to the Created? ...

For a Realms connection (there is one!), look to Vaelari in Durpar in which techno-magical body enhancements made from a magical crystal are (or will be, depending on the timeline you use), all the rage in 1387 DR. Unfortunately, there's a teensy-tiny drawback to using them. One wonders if any of the Durpari ever read Van Richten's Guide to the Created?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  02:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Dreamer's Homepage Send Dreamer a Private Message
I sent the Hooded one a PM regarding some questions for Ed as I am doing a project on him. I'm a grade 12 Canadian student and Ed is one of my favourite authors. While I haven't really embarked so far into the role-playing aspect of his work I truly enjoy the whimsical antics of the Sage of Shadowdale.

I only hope the Hooded One (grace be upon her) and Ed are not too busy as to answer my questions and share them in this topic. Hopefully before I have to hand in this project (tommorow). I only wish I had found this website earlier. A curse upon my dial-up and laziness.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  05:07:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

My players are on Asalas in Acheron trying to survive and I'm wondering if the unceasing warfare creates a kind of bloodlust in visitors over time or has some over mental affect seeing war in all it's ugly glory hour after hour? They've been there two days so far, the mage in the group is a lvl shy of casting plane shift spell and they have yet to meet non-hostile being that could shift them for a fee or favor. I'm wondering if eventually they will become blood-drunk or at least those weak-willed? Asking since you provide insight that is not written in scource books.

My other question is a recent collision amongst the cubes has diverted the river Styx which runs through a particular area near the players, does the puddles of water that remains in the former riverbed still hold the same properties as the river itself until it evaporates or it it only the actual river Styx's waters that have the amnesia causing properties? The group will have to cross this riverbed and since they don't know it just recently held the river Styx what would be the warning signs if any for them?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  16:47:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all! Ed and I have both been a bit busy (Ed's busy-ness relates to a visit by an esteemed scribe, but I'll leave it to that Realms lorelord to spill the beans, if he desires, and not take it upon myself to violate his privacy).
Dreamer, I PM'd you some answers. Too late, I'm afraid, but as it happens Ed has already dealt with many of your questions in previous years of this thread; hope you found them.
Afetbinttuzani, Ed structured "The Cormyte's Boast" after a famous (and very old) English folksong known as "The Vicar of Braye," and its tune can therefore be used to sing the Boast to.
More from Ed himself in a day or so, I hope!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  19:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Afetbinttuzani, Ed structured "The Cormyte's Boast" after a famous (and very old) English folksong known as "The Vicar of Braye," and its tune can therefore be used to sing the Boast to.

Thanks a million, THO. Due to my lamentable lack of general culture, I had never heard of this "famous" folksong. So, for those of you who, like me, are unfamiliar with it, here's a link with the lyrics and melody: http://ingeb.org/songs/ingoodki.html

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000