Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Whom I recall explaining all this to a TSR mapper (Dave Sutherland, now unfortunately deceased) at an early GenCon. Yet it’s a very good question, because I don’t think the explanation every properly made it into print in any official Realms product, anywhere.
love to all,
THO

I have long wondered about this, and I'm deeply thankful for this answer!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 18 Feb 2008 00:15:03
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez
The Vilhon Reach does not seem like an area that would spew forth a happy-go-lucky failed wizard...

Failed? FAILED? Who says he's a failed wizard?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  02:16:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. A brief Realmslore snippet from Ed this time, in response to this brief query from arry: “A quick question for Ed. Do roads in 'civilised' areas have route markers/distance stones. (Not milestones as miles aren't used in the Realms.)”
Ed replies:

Route markers, yes, especially in swamp, forest, or “rolling open field” areas, where travelers in the dark, driving rain, fog, or deep snow could well blunder off the proper route. These usually take the form of stone cairns, often with a distinctive shape so they can be given names that even someone unfamiliar to the route can recognize: “Just past the Wolfhead, ’tis; the first little stream. If you can look up from the streambed and see Two Horns Cairn, you’re in the SECOND stream, and have overshot the first by a good quarter-day’s rumble.”
They may have directional arrows or information (“’Ware Bog Ahead” or “Inn, Third Hill On”) scorched onto them with a burning firebrand, but rarely have any formal distance markings.
On most caravan roads or pilgrimage routes, there will of course be inns a day’s travel apart. When traveling overland in much of the Realms, distances to nearest water, refuge, or good campsite in terms of portions of an average day’s travel (for a slow-moving wagon, pulled by oxen or mules) are what matters, not any numerical measure of distance.

So saith Ed, who has traveled farther in the Realms than any of the rest of us.
Love to all,
THO
P.S.: Rino, heh-heh re. Volo.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Failed? FAILED? Who says he's a failed wizard?

Well, I guess they wouldn't necessarily say it... not out loud...

I do admit though that I can imagine a character who might be willing to consider spending time as a lawn-ornament in Elminster's back yard for an extended period not necessarily a token of failure...
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  11:40:58  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Wow, some scribes have magically-enhanced antennae. Please advise all that the Crystal Grot just disappeared behind a bright, shiny new NDA. "Just" as in: last week.

I considered asking my question about the Grotto a few weeks ago, too, but it slipped my mind. Oh well - guess I'll just have to settle in and wait to see if the NDA is lifted or produces something in the next year or two.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  12:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
... Or you could search Ed's earlier, pre-NDA answers.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  15:54:10  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. A brief Realmslore snippet from Ed this time, in response to this brief query from arry: “A quick question for Ed. Do roads in 'civilised' areas have route markers/distance stones. (Not milestones as miles aren't used in the Realms.)”
Ed replies:

<snip>

So saith Ed, who has traveled farther in the Realms than any of the rest of us.
Love to all,
THO

Many thanks Lady Hooded, to you and Ed for that information. Ed also indirectly answered an earlier question of mine about the surfacing (or otherwise) of roads.

This leads to another question , are there any remnants of roads left by earlier civilisations?

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that we are all so greatful to Ed for the time he takes to answer our queries. Thank you once again.

Edited for poor spelling

Edited by - arry on 18 Feb 2008 15:55:55
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  01:35:02  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
... Or you could search Ed's earlier, pre-NDA answers.

I have all of the "So Saith Ed" files from Kuje's site - where in them would I find said answer? I've skimmed them fairly often, but don't recall an answer to that specific question.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  06:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Alas, there is no easy way to do it. You must do a keyword search for each separate file. If you haven't found a reference by Friday, let me know and I'll do a search on Saturday; I have no spare time before then.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  17:05:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Alas, there is no easy way to do it. You must do a keyword search for each separate file. If you haven't found a reference by Friday, let me know and I'll do a search on Saturday; I have no spare time before then.

I only found a few passages, and nothing to large, about the Crystal Grot in Ed's old passages. Mostly about how the Crown uses the wealth from the place. For people doing a search for it, do a search for crystal, which is how I found the passages.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  00:43:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The Crystal Grot is a secret place full of sapphires. The Obarskyrs carefully mine and sell [in measured quantities over various markets, Faerûn-wide] these sapphires to keep themselves and the realm wealthy enough that they can tax lightly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  01:28:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All.

We have come to a discussion in game over magic bags of holding and what exactly fits through the opening of the smaller bags, I ask because I wonder if anyone in your game has done the old hide in the trunk of the car to get in drive-in movie ploy with a bag of holding. Can the opening of a magic bag be ripped by trying to force objects through it or does the bags enchantment always make sure that an object instantly enters the dimensional space upon crossing bag opening?

One more thing if not NDA, what is the progress of the Kir'lanan in terms of expanding and understanding the world about them say by 1375 in your minds eye? Have they tried augmenting race by mating with others creatures or pursuing magical knowledge? Lacking a soul would they hold an advantage in say fiendish interaction or would fiends after learning these creatures are souless then avoid them?

Thanks as always

Edited by - createvmind on 20 Feb 2008 04:44:39
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  06:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Since 1st edition bags of holding have always measured 2 feet by 4 feet when seen from the outside.

The original AD&D DMG is more colorful than the current DMG on what happens when you abuse a bag of holding, but the causes of damage remain the same from edition to edition: "If overloaded or sharp objects are placed within so as to pierce it, the bag will rupture and be ruined, and the contents will be lost forever in the vortices of nilspace."

If you want to sneak into a theatre without paying, it's a portable hole that you want, which a friend may wear as a handkerchief or some such thing. Then just pray that he doesn't stop and chat with an orsar of the City Watch, because you'll suffocate after ten minutes inside one.

Either here or on MonteCook.com there was a considerable discussion some time ago about extra-dimensional ruptures caused by putting bags of holding into portable holes or other extra-dimensional magic items, and the consensus was that it was a bad rule from the start, and a DM should interpret the rule strictly (i.e., taking either type of magic into any other extra-dimensional space causes no problems, so your friend can use rope trick or Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and enter with you in that portable hole without fear of the two extra-dimensional spaces causing a cosmic rift). ...

And I did all that research without having had any coffee today, either!

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  17:37:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Jamallo,

That still doesn't answer my question as to what dimensions of an object will fit through opening of a magic bag and is the object transported to space upon contact with opening or after entering opening of bag a certain distance, I think Wotc put up some info on how long certain sized creatures, could breathe in each bag type which is what started the discussion. Thus I'm trying to take out the "mechanics" aspect of it, I'm just looking for Ed's take on these type of magical items that contain dimensional spaces and how he envisions them working.

Thanks for assist.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  18:45:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
All I can ever find on Shadowdale involving Jyordhan is ...

"Aumry was assassinated by Zhentarim agents, who in turn were captured and killed by the warrior Jyordhan, who presented himself as the new lord (with the Pendant gripped in his hand), and was so acclaimed by the people. Unknown to most of the people at that time was that Jyordhan was also an agent of the Zhentarim, and the entire proceedings were a hoax.

Jyordhan abandoned the Twisted Tower, instead establishing himself in Castle Krag east of Shadowdale. His court was soon overrun with agents of the Black Network. When the people revolted, Zhentil Keep sent peace-keeping forces to maintain Jyordhan’s rule. Sylune, now aware of the deception but a firm pacifist, sought to keep the Dale healthy and intact during Jyordhan’s evil rule."

Is there more to this? Is there much Ed can reveal about Jyordhan that isn't under NDA for/from the Shadowdale book?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  19:15:11  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO

Can Zhentarim 'retire' from the organisation peacefully - I am particularly interested in the mercantile wing rather than the Wizards/Priests (as I think those two areas are more in it for life?) - so if someone became very rich and could afford not to be involved in the cut and thrust of ongoing every day Zhentarim schemes are they allowed to leave and get on with their own lives? (I would assume they would still pay their tribute to keep Manshoon & Fzoul 'sweet' and stop anything unforseen happening to them)

Also can you shed any light on some up & coming merchants of the Zhentarim and what they are up to?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  01:47:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I have only a fragmentary, teasing "first flippant answer" from Ed re. Volo's birthplace:

Volothamp Geddarm was born in a humble cottage on a tiny islet in the middle of a fog-shrouded bog.

So saith Ed. Who has not yet revealed a date, specific location of said bog, or other particulars, but will (I swear!) when I next get my hands on him.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  02:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. I have only a fragmentary, teasing "first flippant answer" from Ed re. Volo's birthplace:

Volothamp Geddarm was born in a humble cottage on a tiny islet in the middle of a fog-shrouded bog.

Well at least you've narrowed it down for us.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  04:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Thanks Jamallo,

That still doesn't answer my question as to what dimensions of an object will fit through opening of a magic bag and is the object transported to space upon contact with opening or after entering opening of bag a certain distance, I think Wotc put up some info on how long certain sized creatures, could breathe in each bag type which is what started the discussion. Thus I'm trying to take out the "mechanics" aspect of it, I'm just looking for Ed's take on these type of magical items that contain dimensional spaces and how he envisions them working.

Thanks for assist.

Checking on the Wizard's boards for someone who may have participated in that discussion might be helpful to you.

I am not being flippant when I suggest that you might pose the problem to a local instructor in math or physics (probably at least at the High School AP level). Your question concerns topology and hypergeometry. Find the right instructor, and you might have ten or twenty industrious little students running equations through Mathematica (or maybe just using hand calculators) as they try to analyze the problem. You might want to be really audacious and ask the question simultaneously to M.I.T. and CalTech -- that should yield an answer pretty darn quick. You will, alas, have no claim to any primary patents which they might wind up taking out as a result of their research. I'd hazard a guess that at least two-thirds of the students at both schools have worked on the problem already at some time in their lives, and they may just need a formal benediction before they attack the problem formally (probably trying to prove or disprove M-theory in the process).

If it's a purely game-mechanical question to which you seek the answer (e.g., "how far can I thrust my awl pike into a bag of holding before I impale Schrödinger's blasted cat, who's crawled inside it again?"), you might have to make inquiry to the masters of the eldest lore, Gygax and Arnesen and Grubb and other hallow

ed lore-saints.

As far as I know, there isn't anything special about a bag of holding on Toril as opposed to one on Krynn or Oerth -- they are all pretty much of a muchness. Pressing Ed for an answer may run into Otiluke's Impertinent NDA Screen, for I asked him early last year about Imaskari extra-dimensional spaces (Volo has written of them or others like them), and Ed was less than forthcoming, possibly because he knew that certain Imaskari ruins were about to be discovered by characters in a novel.

Bur, as always, "What do I know?"

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  06:34:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
greetings Ed and THO!

apologies if this has already been definitively addressed somewhere, but i haven't seen it.

assuming someone cared enough about the origin of orcs, could the large majority of orcs currently in the Realms be traced back to the hordes that stepped through the Orcgate? or were there already large numbers of orcs in the Realms, and the newcomers merely became a new subculture?

many thanks for sharing your minds with us!

Edit: there's a dark space on my bookshelves where the Grand History of the Realms should stand, but i found in an early pdf version a mention of the elves' early success against orcs in the First Flowering. so i suppose that answers my question, and i'll assume that the orcs of the Akanapeaks, Galena Mountains, Moonsea, and so forth were perhaps initially descended of the Orcgate hordes.

Xaeyruudh

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 24 Feb 2008 20:06:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  22:23:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed has temporarily fallen silent (he'll be at the D&D Experience in Arlington, VA during the latter half of this week, I believe), but I have been pondering this Charles Phipps query:
"Okay, odd question, Ed. Who's the most depraved and villainous noble family in Cormyr and/or Waterdeep?
Who and how?"
. . . and I'm thinking that there's some stiff competition for "most" in both places. So, first off, I'd like to narrow the question a little. Charles, do we exclude exiled or extinct or stripped-of-all-status noble families?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  08:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
. . . and I'm thinking that there's some stiff competition for "most" in both places. So, first off, I'd like to narrow the question a little. Charles, do we exclude exiled or extinct or stripped-of-all-status noble families?

To narrow the group a bit; let's keep it to currently in existence, entitled, and still maintaining power families. Though I welcome any particular infamous or exiled extras that Ed wants to point in. If you can describe the nature of the crimes for the living empowered ones, it'd be a treat too.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 26 Feb 2008 08:09:10
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  19:13:26  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hello everyone,

I would like to submit for speculation some theories about some of our favorite characters, and hoping that Ed will add or subtract to the discussion with some observations I might have missed.

I have read "Tears so White" and Ed said in a previous post to read that story and come back with ideas and questions about Larloch. So here we go:

1) Larloch has fallen in love with Mystra and wants to be one of her chosen. He shows this devotion through the constant study and manipulation of magics, the trying to surpass all spellcasters that has come before him, and manipulating
events around Faerun, just like most of the other chosen do. Tears so White seems to back this with the scene with the silver fire tear and his leaning in to get as close to it as his lich enchantments allow. Ed wrote in the past: "... trying to get freedom of the machinations of the gods." This seems a paradox to the statement " a being so powerful as to "come to a agreement" with at least Azuth and Mystra. Problem with this theory, evil chosen don't do well.

2) He wishes to supplant Mystra as the God of Magic. I see this as likely but, have not read anything other than this story and the Larloch discussion that appear in the Ask Ed forums. Are there any other stories out there besides "Tears so White" that feature Larloch as a character? Problem with theory, currently if Mystra is destroyed "should" be destroyed. (I wonder if he has already thought of this and what kind of contingencies he has thought of?
*cough**cough*spellplag*cough**cough*

#3) He wish to supplant Velashroon as the God of lichnee. I thought that this was a sound theory as he was trying to take over baelnorn in their mythrals but it doesn't quite fit with all the discussions through the threads and published materials as he seems not to care about those lichnee already in his service, and with the "possible" destruction of the lichnee in the story.

#4)Can anybody think of any consequence of destroying Larloch, does anybody have a suggestion as to what he would working against besides the obvious Red Wizards and Shar?

#5)Ed, have you ever wrote out in paragraph form or in spell formula the way Larloch has taken control of all of his minions. I know you can't share it with us if you did, but I would like to know at least if you have given it any in-depth thought. My guess is that it has to due with major unpublished necromantic rituals conducted over a lich's soul object.

Edited by - althen artren on 29 Feb 2008 16:45:09
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  00:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO!

I was wondering if urban temples (i.e. located within towns and cities) of more "martial" deities (e.g. Tempus, Torm, Helm, Tyr etc.) typically have "training" courtyards and stables within the temple grounds? Or does the clergy train in "battle/training halls" within the temple and use other stables in the city/town? How about smithies -- i.e. do they craft their weapons and armor themselves? And do these temples usually have curtain walls and gatehouses, even if they're not shown on the city maps?

I hope Ed really enjoyed himself at D&D Experience.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  04:06:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

#4)Can anybody think of any consequence of destroying Larloch, does anybody have a suggestion as to what he would working against besides the obvious Red Wizards and Shar?

60+ liches suddenly being able to do what they want, when they want, is a pretty big consequence.

Larloch also does a buttload of spell research, too, cranking out new magics all the time.

And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  06:14:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerûn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

1. Monitoring people movement; who goes where and more importantly, why;

2. Putting in place magics to control creatures or people using 'his' portals, or at the very least access their knowledge/memories;

3. Using his knowledge of portals and portal networks to bring groups or individuals into conflict and thereby benefiting from the fallout.

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  18:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerûn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

1. Monitoring people movement; who goes where and more importantly, why;

2. Putting in place magics to control creatures or people using 'his' portals, or at the very least access their knowledge/memories;

3. Using his knowledge of portals and portal networks to bring groups or individuals into conflict and thereby benefiting from the fallout.

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent.

I hadn't heard this before, being that I'm not as lore savvy as most others here are. Would you mind pointing (perhaps by PM) were I could find more on this? This scares me a bit, considering a character that I'm running.....

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  21:42:36  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I was under the impression that the lichnee were pretty well culled out by the Knights and the Simbul in Tears So White. But I guess there could still be a dozen or so that were held back.
Cranking out new magic if fine, but I would have to assume that any intellect would get bored of such a pursuit after a couple thousand years. It just doesn't seem to me as a
good enough reason to "exist" for so long, at least to a healty psyche. The control of portals would help facilitate this plot, but it seems so mundane to such a grand creature.
But then I'm not a thousands of year old lich.
Containing something seems like a sound idea, if that were the case I wonder what others would know what he knows.
Would anybody like to guess how much of his exchange with the Knights was "acting" on his part? It felt very genuine, but then he has ruled kingdoms so would know how to protect his
opinions.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  00:22:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Here is something else I have been chewing on since I have started reading Ed's novels a
couple years ago.

Does anybody else have the opinion that in all of his appearences, we have never seen the REAL Manshoon? I get the impression that all of his appearences have been made by active Statis clones, and that he is in some extra-dimensional space laughing at the show on Faerun and manipulating events on his whim. It's seems like something Ed would do

Also, here is an idea to his personality. Do the extensive use of his statis clone, his will to dominate all things around him stems a from hole in his soul essence or "being" and his intellect jumps from body to body. That he is trying to fill that missing part of his entity? Just a thought.

Questions:
Ed, how often can books and spellbooks from other planes of existance be found outside major active spellcasters libraries. Have enough made trips through other means like spelljamming or the Shadow plane to warrent a odds of 1 in 500 or so?

Also, though I doubt you can answer this, is heavy magic of the Weave or is it something else. I had the impression before putting together your replies that it was a sum greater that the parts of Shadow and non-Shadow Weave magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  00:34:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

I hadn't heard this before, being that I'm not as lore savvy as most others here are. Would you mind pointing (perhaps by PM) were I could find more on this? This scares me a bit, considering a character that I'm running.....
I don't remember off-hand at the moment, so I'll have to take a look through my notebooks. I'll get back to you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000