Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  03:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Lady THO, I have another (what else?) Realmlore question for Ed:

I've been playing in a "walk the Multiverse, and kill things" sort of D&D campaign recently, and our party of PC adventurers blundered through a portal into . . . an ancient, overgrown tomb (human, a few stone rooms JUST underground) in the King's Forest, in Cormyr, in the Realms. We could readily leave, now that we've killed the monster, and it's an easy walk to Waymoot (we've snuck there after dark a time or two, now, which is how we know where we are - - but we haven't yet gone deeper into the tomb, which has two more rooms, the first filled by a huge stone casket, and the second containing several coffers and what look like the bones of several dead adventurers and monsters, all slumped all over each other. The DM has privately told me he got this idea from you, at a GenCon two or three years back, and remembered the traps and magic and "fun" (which of course he won't tell me about) but he's forgotten what you said about how a body would be prepared for burial, and the mundane contents of a coffin and mundane burial items.
We've resisted the temptation to mess with the tomb so far, but two of the players want to turn the tomb into our lair or hideout or whatever - - so I know they're GOING to mess with it, eventually. The DM would love it if you could give him some indication of burial preparations for a body, burial items, and (because he can't remember who you said the tomb originally belonged to) if you could tell us who the departed in the tomb is, or might most likely be.
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 13 Feb 2008 03:09:28
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  03:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I remember that little talk Ed gave. It was in the Marriott lobby (the restaurant, except they'd closed the restaurant, so we sat around talking), and I took notes, too. If I can find them before Ed comes through, I'll post them.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  03:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
That sounds like fun, Blueblade.
It also spurs me to ask Ed (though the lovely THO) another question: how many ruins are easily found in the King's Forest? Or the Hullack, for that matter?
By "easily found" I don't mean: obvious to anyone passing through on a road. I mean: if you hack or hike through the depths of the woods, you can see something on the surface to tip you off that there's a ruin here, however buried or overgrown.
If I haven't gotten WAY too convuluted, that's my question.
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  12:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Hmmm... I may actually have something a bit relevant to elven nobility to add to darksongknight's question. It has just come up in my campaign: elven heraldry. Similar rules regarding blazons, charges, etc, or very different from human heraldry? Some prominent examples from sun and moon elven families from Eaerlann and Myth Drannor, to give us the gist? Something more modern, from Evereska or Evermeet?

I'll be quiet now, honest. ;)

-Karth

quote:
Originally posted by darksongknight

Hello Dear Ed and Lady Tho, I have a series of questions concerning Silverymoon, it's residents, and fashion.

Back in November of 2006, Ed gave details about the clothing that women wear that is considered high fashion in Silverymoon and Waterdeep, and how much they would cost. I was wondering if Ed might comment on what high fashion for males (specifically, elves) in Silverymoon is. What does the elven nobility often wear, and are there any fashions that began with/came from the elves? Are there any identifying types of clothing that would "mark" one as part of the elven upper-class?

On another note, what kind of fashions does Lady Alustriel take part in? Is there a style of dress that she favors over others? For example, if PC's encountered her while spending an evening strolling about Silverymoon, what would she likely be wearing? Also, what are some of her personal hobbies that she enjoys? If a PC is an admirer (and I imagine Alustriel has more than a few, of many types, as both a beloved leader and a wise and beautiful woman) and wished to give her a gift, what would be something she would like?

I'd be delighted with any information you could provide on these subjects. :D

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  16:21:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO

I have another Cormyr question

Where would a well heeled young officer of the Purple Dragons get his uniform from? Are there tailors that provide bespoke regulation army uniform for 'work' and also dress uniforms for social occasions? (similar to Gieves and Hawkes etc).

Would dress uniforms differ markedly from the standard 'every day' unform? Also any conventions or etiquette on what to wear and how at social functions when attending as a military officer? (i.e. would a 'dress sword' be acceptable? full uniform of just a small insignia?)

As an asie, do Dragon Officers have much of a social life? either publically or internally within the unit/garrison? Am wondering if they are 'out on show at all' to the general public and important Nobles/Merchants to show the positive side of the Dragons/recruitment/networking etc, in other words do the Court encourage this?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Khylaria
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  23:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Khylaria's Homepage Send Khylaria a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,

I have a question about how a certain aspect of core lore is implemented in the FR setting:

How, precisely, does the monk ability Tongue of the Sun and Moon work?

I'm asking this because I can't find anything (core or FR materials) that provides any actual details on the ability other than "at so-and-so level, a monk can speak with all living creatures."

Okay, so yes, a monk can speak with all living creatures upon attaining a certain level. But how do they speak with them? I've heard several variations on the subject, but they were all opinions of other players/DMs, ranging from "empathic ability to understand and communicate with one creature at a time, regardless of language barriers" to "the monk can understand and speak any language spoken around them at the time."

another version I've heard is that when the monk uses the TotSaM ability, the person/creature they speak to can understand the monk, as if being spoken to in their native language, while all others around the two communicating don't understand a word the monk says.

Basically, I'm asking for a little clarification on the ability, and how to properly use/moderate it from both a DM and player's point of view. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  03:39:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring a lightning-swift Realmslore reply from Ed to crazedventurers.
I would like to remind all scribes, particularly the newcomers here, that Ed DOESN’T play favourites when he’s answering queries; how long it takes him to answer is usually governed by the topic being asked about (some of the questions still outstanding from 2004 are still under NDAs from back then, and others are on topics that Ed knows someone else will cover in novels that still haven’t been released yet, just to name two factors). Sometimes, as is the case here, a question will be asked about something Ed has just worked on or looked up for himself or our “home” campaign or someone asking privately (such as another gamer or a Wizards staff designer or even someone preparing a present for a friend or lover).
Damian asked this: “Hello Ed and THO, I have another Cormyr question:
Where would a well heeled young officer of the Purple Dragons get his uniform from? Are there tailors that provide bespoke regulation army uniform for 'work' and also dress uniforms for social occasions? (similar to Gieves and Hawkes etc).

Would dress uniforms differ markedly from the standard 'every day' uniform? Also any conventions or etiquette on what to wear and how at social functions when attending as a military officer? (i.e. would a 'dress sword' be acceptable? full uniform of just a small insignia?)

As an aside, do Dragon Officers have much of a social life? either publically or internally within the unit/garrison? Am wondering if they are 'out on show at all' to the general public and important Nobles/Merchants to show the positive side of the Dragons/recruitment/networking etc, in other words do the Court encourage this? Thanks, Damian”

Ed replies:

After several regrettable incidents in the past century involving mischief spells cast on uniforms and even impostors, the Royal Court (in practice, an office in the Royal Court building known as “the Royal Robes” run by the Master of Vestments) issues “Crown badges” (what a real-world British person would call a “Royal Warrant”) to approved royal tailors. There are some twenty-six “badged” “robers" (which really means six busy firms that make uniforms, and fourteen individual tailors, often semi-retired but very skilled elderly men and women). They know exactly how to make all uniforms (approved cloth and dyes, the “proper” methods of altering a uniform garment, what they are allowed to do and not to do, and so on). Both Arabel and Marsember have a firm and two tailors, there’s a tailor in Waymoot and another in Immersea, and everyone else is in Suzail.
Aside from the badged robers, every large military base (that is, High Horn and the bases in the three cities) have tailors who store, clean, alter, and repair uniforms [and keep a stock of “emergency” uniforms in various sizes], and the Royal Palace (please note that the Palace is a building separate from, and to the north of, the Royal Court) has its own staff tailors, who work with the staff herald, and maintain uniforms for the royal family and courtiers (including, stored in a vault, the uniforms of past royalty). Anyone joining the service and attaining a higher rank within it is given one fitted-to-them uniform by the Crown, free. Maintaining it, replacing it if damaged, or augmenting it with duplicates so cleaning and repairs can be delayed is the financial responsibility of the wearer. (Note: it is the established custom in Azoun IV’s reign and the Steel Regency for Obarskyrs to personally pay for uniform replacements, repairs, and alterations for loyal warriors who suffered fashion damage in battle, or while defending the realm in any way. This has included artificial limbs, canes, and crutches.)
It should be noted that robers aren’t responsible for determining if clients are allowed to wear any uniforms they order made, though they customarily report to the nearest War Wizard or passing courtier anything suspicious (such as uniforms made without anyone ever appearing for a fitting, or large numbers of uniforms made for private clients). Robers will check with heralds to make sure “household uniforms” (livery worn by the servants and bodyguards of nobles) are of approved design; nobles are limited by the heralds in what colors and tailoring they can inflict on their people (just as the Crown restricts them from assembling private armies).
Someone entering the Palace or a Court function will of necessity pass scrutiny by War Wizards, Highknights, and some senior Purple Dragons (whose onlooking may not be open or obvious); if they become suspicious, the person will be gently drawn aside and examined to make sure he or she is wearing a uniform they are entitled to (including rank insignia, decorations, weapons, heraldic badges and honours, etc.).
In Suzail, the tailors rarely advertise, because they are all overworked anyway. However, the two most prominent firms (who both have shops on the south side of the Promenade, facing the sprawling Royal Court, with large display windows crammed with displayed finished uniforms on mannequins, and keep substantial “rack ready” stores of uniforms in most popular sizes) are Harleer’s and Baerennim’s. Hrasto Harleer is a small, long-nosed, sarcastic little man whose tongue is sharp to everyone and who hates dirty and torn uniforms and those who let them become that way; his shop is east of Baerennim’s. Rusklan Baerennim is a jovial, burly retired Purple Dragon who employs long-limbed, beautiful “highcoin lasses” as fitters and shop help because HE likes them (and wants them to make customers feel very, very wanted, too). His aging sisters do most of the tailoring, and are apt to be slower than Harleer’s no-nonsense staff of skilled but frumpy middle-aged tailors. Baerennim likes to tell war stories and hear them, and wants you to feel like a friend; Harleer wants you in and out and to feel inferior to his skill and the standards of his busy, busy establishment.

Purple Dragons have armor, “warcoats” (which we real-world folk would call both “battledress” and “everyday fatigues” depending on where we saw it worn), and “fancycoats” (full-dress uniform). In general, fancycoats is just a clean version of warcoats, with shiny black boots and a colorful sash (denoting unit and service, and displaying decorations) plus a half-cloak (for evening or outdoor wear). Half-cloaks, by the way, are of shimreen or silk or similar “shiny” fabric, and are raked from a baldric-like base band of fabric, so that their scalloped, draped trailing edge forms a diagonal down the back of the wearer, from shoulder to hip (so as not to get in the way of a sword scabbarded at the hip).
At Court functions and “official” revels, uniform wear is expected (though officers hosting an event, or who have ANOTHER job or task, may instead choose to dress for that other “hat”). At private revels, merely a sash or cloak-pin with the Purple Dragon of Cormyr badge is expected (not required). Dress swords are worn at Court functions and official revels, but not at private revels except by permission of the Crown (the rule is intended to be this: if any Obarskyr is attending an event “unofficially,” just to have fun, you should not wear a sword into their presence [daggers and belt knives are usually okay for everyone] unless you are their bodyguard, BUT you can seek, and they can give you, permission to come armed, particularly if you might be in danger travelling to or from the event [Highknights, War Wizards, and other undercover agents would also be armed, but their arms would be hidden]).

Officers among the Dragons do indeed have social lives, though it varies with the person, of course. Friendships within garrisons are encouraged, romances DIScouraged (and with War Wizards mind-reading without warning, often, this is something that can be effectively policed). If a friendship seems likely to lead to corruption, or a romance blossom, one or both of the persons involved is simply reassigned to another location. They are indeed put 'out on show' (sometimes as sly information-gatherers, but more often to bolster public support for the troops, especially in Arabel and Marsember, by letting everyone see they are “decent sorts” and to foster friendships between Dragons and civilians) if their personalities won’t make doing so PR disasters. Often officers doing so get covertly watched from afar by War Wizards using spells, Highknights, and so on to see what they can learn about local intrigues and fads and opinions, and to make sure their officers aren’t getting corrupted (note: I don’t mean they will stop an officer hopping into bed with a citizen, even if it’s someone married to someone else, or having a shady past, or being a professional “bedchamber worker,” or even a known agent for a crime cabal or foreign interest; rather, I’m speaking of corruption not in the moral sense, but in the “betraying your country” sense). In short, the Court (Azoun and Filfaeril, and now Filfaeril and Alusair, and throughout on a daily, effective basis, moreso Vangerdahast and Laspeera and now Caladnei and Laspeera) do know of, and quietly encourage, this practice.

And Damian, you’re very welcome. This is something I should have been far more specific about in print, long ago. As you can tell, my notes were near at hand when your question was relayed to me by the lovely THO (I’m afraid I’m not at liberty to explain just why, yet).

So saith Ed. More essential Realmslore! Wheee!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  16:18:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
So saith Ed. More essential Realmslore! Wheee!

Thank you very very much, a truly informative answer that will fit extremely nicely into the current campaign as the players are just starting to step out of their current 'sphere of influence'.

Can I assume that only officers are discouraged from becoming lovers within the garrison or does this extend to blades as well?

Re Officers: I am guessing that it is to stop any feelings getting in the way of the job/potentially leading to favouritism or cliques forming within the command structure (or just that others may think that those two are bound to protect/back up each other "at our expense" and so this causes bad feelings?)

I must say it is nice to know that Cormyr Lore just happens to be next to Ed at the minute, that does bode well. Especially if its new Lore that we all know Ed would love to publish but has, (in the past), had limited opportunity to do so. One can hope that more outstanding snipets of information similar to Ed's reply make it into print.

Kind regards from a very appreciative Realms Fan

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  18:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
"Can I assume that only officers are discouraged from becoming lovers within the garrison or does this extend to blades as well?"

I feel comfortable in handling this one, with the caveat that Ed can, of course, tell all how terribly and irretrievably wrong I am.

Officers of Purple Dragons are expected to maintain a respectful distance with regard to sex and romance with everyone under their command. The same goes for lower-ranked Dragons and those explicitly under their authority (blades and telswords under a First Sword, for example). Within a garrison, company, or larger unit, officers are still expected to maintain distance, but non-officer Dragons have a little bit more freedom; while the occasional sexual encounter might be permitted--depending on the attitudes of the commander--out-and-out romance is still prohibited. This is to prevent problems on the battlefield, or dissension within the unit should a relationship either escalate or end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi. Garen Thal's post duly forwarded to Ed, and this reply just came back:

Bingo. Exactly right, and I couldn't have said it better myself. What he said, et cetera. :}

So saith Ed. Who promises more Realmslore later.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  22:35:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I feel comfortable in handling this one

Thanks Garen - will make the Thunderstone campaign very interesting for the PC's then - how are they going to deal with all the sex that is happening in the junior ranks?

Garen as you are Candlekeeps 'Scribe of Cormyr' can I ask you what your thoughts are regarding how the Crown would react if a Lionar (of good 'stock') based in Thunderstone and a war wizard who was also the Lady Mage of Thunderstone (its ruler) became romantically involved (lets assume that they keep it private and not for public gossip).

Thanks

Damian
(ps maybe this should be moved to its own thread? - sorry should have thought about it before posting here)

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 14 Feb 2008 22:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  23:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I feel comfortable in handling this one

Thanks Garen - will make the Thunderstone campaign very interesting for the PC's then - how are they going to deal with all the sex that is happening in the junior ranks?

Garen as you are Candlekeeps 'Scribe of Cormyr' can I ask you what your thoughts are regarding how the Crown would react if a Lionar (of good 'stock') based in Thunderstone and a war wizard who was also the Lady Mage of Thunderstone (its ruler) became romantically involved (lets assume that they keep it private and not for public gossip).

Thanks

Damian
(ps maybe this should be moved to its own thread? - sorry should have thought about it before posting here)
I'll respond here, so that Ed can pipe in if he chooses, but a second question or back-and-forth should probably get its own thread. The answer necessitates breaking down some information in the premise of your question first, before I can get anywhere.

Item the First: Any Lady Mage of Thunderstone would, of necessity, forfeit her position and access as a War Wizard. This isn't to say that the Lady Mage (which would be an honorary epithet; her official title is still "Lord" or "Lady Lord" of Thunderstone) would not be able to boss local war wizards around--Lords Tessaril Winter and Myrmeen Lhal do it plenty. She's just not one of them.

Item the Second: Any Lady Mage of Thunderstone would have any potential suitors, good stock or no, discretely scried by War Wizards. Especially if that suitor is a Purple Dragon. This would be done without Crown knowledge and with or without their blessing (especially if Vangerdahast is still around, and doubly so in the time after the Abraxus Affair).

That said, the Crown would look a bit suspiciously on the romance, unless it began before the parties achieved their respective positions--if, for example, they were friends or lovers before promotion, if they were cohorts in an adventuring company, etc. The Crown would approve of their discretion in the matter, but not of the romance in the first place, though it grudgingly accepts that these things do, in fact, happen.

No matter what, one or the other (read: the Lionar) would eventually be assigned elsewhere, or placed on a sort of detached duty outside the town, to prevent a Lady and Her Captain scenario or threaten the Crown's control by placing a commander in a town with that same commander's lover-Lord. In the event of disloyalty, this sort of thing prevents both the watch and the Army, as well as the populace in general, from rebelling against the Crown, losing the town wholesale.

If both proved loyal even given the adversity, the Lionar would likely eventually (by this, I mean a year or three, perhaps more, depending on what sort of things occur during the interim) achieve a knighthood, and be allowed to leave the army with honorary rank in the Purple Dragons, in order to maintain command authority (without a permanent post) but still have the freedom (if desired) to court and marry his Lady Love.
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  04:34:27  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Thank you very very much, a truly informative answer that will fit extremely nicely into the current campaign as the players are just starting to step out of their current 'sphere of influence'.

Seconded, truly a richly informative reply to an excellent question

Which leads me to wondering what military dress standards (regulations and enforcement) - if any - exist in other formal human realms. Are the military fashion trends in places like Tethyr and Impiltur, which also have a royal tradition, similar to Cormyr's? What about a city-state like Waterdeep? Or confederation like the Silver Marches?

Or would the notion of uniform standardization and regulation of distribution be ad-hoc or even non-existent outside of a nation as thoroughly law driven as Cormyr?

In general, how rigorously do Heralds across the realms need to police the use of identifiable military uniforms (not just banner standards and shield devices/badges) if at all?

Should I dare to ask how such matters might be handled amongst dwarven Halls or elven Household troops.?

Umm ... that's probably enough for now, if I don't stop this could go on forever

Thanks again to THO and Ed,

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  06:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
As a result of my previous rants and whining, Ed said:

quote:
January 27, 2006: Hi, all. This time, Ed replies to Jamallo Kreen's post: "Thank ye kindly for the answers thus far, and rest assured that I shall continue to poke, prod, and otherwise disequilibrate the applecart in the future.
There was one tripartite question of mine which may have been answered and the answer lost in the shuffle of my cyberdesk, and which I therefore repeat: What the heck was that magic black curtain across Yellow Snake Pass during the Time of Troubles; what happened to things that passed through it; is it still there?
I await your answers on tenterhooks. (Or at least on osteophytes.)"

Ed speaks:
Oooh, tenterhooks. This's going to hurt, because I'm going to have to leave you hanging. However, feel free to disequilibrate away... :}
Seriously: I hadn't forgotten your query, but was sitting on it in hopes the NDA would end when the project that was going to pick up on this "loose end" was published. However, it hasn't yet, and so the NDA continues. For now. Sorry.
So saith Ed.

Just to be on the safe side and not miss something which has left me curious for years, I think I'll re-post my query every 18 months or so, in the (perhaps vain) hope that WotC will finally provide the gist of the answer and the NDA will go away, so that Ed may give us the details. So there it is ... again. :)

(I do recall reading recently -- where my vacuous memory cannot recall -- that the Zhents had sent one or more expeditions into Yellow Snake Pass, so is it safe to say that the black whatever-it-was isn't there any more?)

(By the way: many, many thanks to kuje for codifying "So saith Ed" into pdf files; I was able to retrieve Ed's answer to my question within a few seconds.)

And thanks to the aforesaid pdf file number 14, I now know that, on April 15, 2007, The Lady Hooded One posted:

quote:

'Forgotten Realms Adventures, page 121: 'Zhent "Long Road to Riches:" a controlled caravan route from Zhentil Keep to the Sword Coast, via the Tesh valley, Daggerdale, the Stonelands, the Desertsedge and Goblin Marches, Yellow Snake Pass (guarded by the great Zhentarim fortress of Darkhold), Skull Gorge, Dawn Pass, Llorkh, Loudwater, and the River Delimbiyr.

The FRCS, page 225 says about the Zhents in Yellow Snake Pass; 'until early in 1372 DR., when Thayan wizards and mercenaries from Hill's Edge drove the patrols into cavern shelters in the Underdark. For the moment, Yellow Snake Pass is free.'

Well, as I previously warned, I'm going to keep asking about Yellow Snake Pass and that black thing and what was on the ... other ... side of it at least once a year in hopes that Otiluke's Impregnable NDA Screen finally comes down. With the Realms about to leap a century into the future in a few months, apparently, now seems as good a time as any to ask again. It can't still be NDA in the 15th century, can it?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  23:37:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and Tho

In Brian James' excellent Moonshae timeline Flamsterd in mentioned thus:
299 DR (Year of the Vaasan Knot)
High King Gwylloch, Prince Ketheryll, and all of their retainers slowly go mad. On the evening of the summer solstice, the inhabitants of the Castle of Skulls slaughter each other in a suicidal orgy of combat within the castle's gruesome walls. It is suspected that the mage Flamsterd was somehow involved in the High King's downfall.

The date somewhat suprised me, I guessed he was older than the 50 odd years I imagined he looked but not quite the 1000 years or so this dates him at (or maybe more?) Anyhoo I asked Brian if he could shed any light on Flamsterd and his origins and he replied he could not (but that it might be best to try someone else who might be able to)

So, is Flamsterd contemporary with the time frame mentioned (i.e. is this his first major impact as a wizard of power) or is he much older than this and has just kept a low profile while he ponders the true meaning of Wizardry and what it takes to be a wizard of power and ethics. (If he is contemporary would he be one of the Talfir that fled the Shadowking of Ebenfar?).

For those who might not have seen Flamsterd before - go here for an 'unofficial', (can anything by Ed be unoffical?), update on his schemes and plans circa 1350-1360DR or so

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0309C&L=REALMS-L&P=R3663&D=1&I=-3

Thanks

Damian
ps also in the thread above is a nice bit from Ed about the Realms Multiverse (The Wood Between The Worlds) - this might help to 'answer' the question of where Abeir came from for the 4E Realms. One is hopeful that the write up for Abeir has been penned by a scribe who might know a thing or two about the Realms. I seem to recall *someone else* mentioning that Ed's 50K words for the FRCG consisted of a new land never before detailed, so who knows?

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 16 Feb 2008 00:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  00:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Okay, odd question, Ed.

Whose the most depraved and villainous noble family in Cormyr and/or Waterdeep?

Who and how?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  01:24:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I come bearing another Realmslore reply from Ed, this one a response to Asgetrion’s query: “Another "city" question: why do some cities have suspiciously lot of "empty" space in the center of the city blocks? In comparison to Waterdeep (especially the Dock Ward) there seems to be a lot of "wasted" building space in some cities. Is there a purpose to it, or is it due to TSR/WoTC cartographers "leaving" buildings out? Or are there "smaller" buildings that are just not shown on the map (e.g. wellhouses, outhouses) or left for parks/gardens? Or are they meant as "courtyards" or "inner yards"?”
Ed replies:

A very good question, this. Here’s what’s in those “empty” spaces in the center of city blocks:
1. Muddy ground, reached by alleyways and used for tying up horses, keeping chickens, growing vegetables (especially the sort that have vines that can be trained up the backs of buildings on poles and pipes), parking coaches, dumping garbage, and assembling and loading or unloading coaches, carts, and other conveyances.
2. Trees and sometimes “proper gardens” (some cartographers have shown them, others have not).
3. Midden piles, cesspits, and outhouses (typically, tiny sheds aren’t shown on maps, to reduce visual confusion).
4. Wells and wellhouses (see above).
5. Formal courtyards (these are rare, except in Calimshan and the Tashalar).
6. Wrecked or “permanently parked” coaches and the like, often used for storage or inhabited by the poorest folk who dodge paying taxes. These haven’t been shown on maps because they are (nominally) mobile, and so, not “buildings.” Most cities don’t tax parked conveyances, and it’s typically very hard to tell if a particular coach is in use for hauling or not; some that are, are in terrible shape, and to avoid “haulaway” thefts, most coach owners remove one or more wheels from parked conveyances (substituting hard-to-remove-without-getting-crushed props), and take them indoors (so anyone wanting to steal a coach is going to have to take the time necessaru to fit it with wheels of the right size).
Elements 1 and 6 are very common, and most open areas inside city blocks will have also have 3 or 4 (or both!). In wealthy neighborhoods, 2 and 5 replace 1,3, and 6, and shared paddocks for the horses of guests may also be found.
Dock Ward is a long-used, often very overcrowded, “working” neighbourhood of poor folk, so all of its open ground has been built on (except open ground that’s forcibly defended by a guild or business owner, such as a shipyard) over the years.

So saith Ed. Whom I recall explaining all this to a TSR mapper (Dave Sutherland, now unfortunately deceased) at an early GenCon. Yet it’s a very good question, because I don’t think the explanation every properly made it into print in any official Realms product, anywhere.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  11:19:15  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
Lady THO, Mister Greenwood, where does the gold in Faerun come from, where are the gold mines or the riwers from with it is washed? Who owns the mines and runs them? Which special permissions does one need in the different countries to run one (if you need one at all depending on the country) or to wash gold? And where are the silver and copper mines and who owns them? What about precious stone (scuh as diamonds, rubies, saphires, etc) mines (or riwers)? (the most prominent will suffice of course)

Thanks in advance

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  14:18:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Ed, we know plenty about Elves and their connection and feelings on magic (ie, Arcane and Divine). Is there anything you can tell us about Elves (in general, excluding Drow), and their feelings on Psionics? There is not very much on the topic, asides for the little blurb in Player's Guide to Faerûn, presumably because, in my mind, anyway, Psionics has always seemed to be the "red-headed stepchild" of D&D. Anything at all would be appreciated: outlooks, organizations, whatever...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  15:11:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Aureus, I've forwarded your query to Ed (along with all other recent scribes' questions), but I can venture a LITTLE lore on this: most of the easily-obtainable gem wealth of Cormyr comes from the Crystal Grot (controlled by the royal family), which is covered in VOLO'S GUIDE TO CORMYR, and there are gold mines under High Horn and under certain names-kept-officially-secret western peaks (with panning in a few surface streams in those same peaks), as well as iron and copper mines in many places about the realm. (This lore comes from playing in Ed's "home" campaign.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  22:29:24  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
many thanks for your help, milady THO
:bows:

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  10:50:54  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
but I can venture a LITTLE lore on this: most of the easily-obtainable gem wealth of Cormyr comes from the Crystal Grot (controlled by the royal family), which is covered in VOLO'S GUIDE TO CORMYR

To expand on this somewhat, skimming through Volo's Guide to Cormyr, Volo notes how secretive the location is (one wonders how he avoided being questioned about his inquiries by the War Wizards... but then, he probably was questioned, mind-reamed, and otherwise interrogated, knowing Volo). However, aside from the secrecy of the place, very little is said in the guide about the defenses associated with it besides the secrecy (though the rumour mill notes a cavern network sounding like an underground maze and possibly a watchghost or lich).

Would it be correct to assume that Vangerdahast has put powerful magical wards around the grotto to help conceal and defend it, or does he just try and keep it secret, with spells that magically warn him if somebody stumbles into the place? Or does he leave it completely bare of magic, to foil people using spells that detect/track the use of magic? Given that Amble Obarskyr seemed to just 'find' the place, others should be able to do the same thing, unless there have been some considerable modifications made since then.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  15:30:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm. I sent these last few posts to Ed, and he replied:

Wow, some scribes have magically-enhanced antennae. Please advise all that the Crystal Grot just disappeared behind a bright, shiny new NDA. "Just" as in: last week.
[dramatic organ chords] They're everywhere! They're everywhere!

Heh. So saith Ed. VERY interesting, yes?
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Feb 2008 15:32:09
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  15:42:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Lady THO, Mister Greenwood, where does the gold in Faerun come from, Who owns the mines and runs them? And where are the silver and copper mines and who owns them? What about precious stone (scuh as diamonds, rubies, saphires, etc) mines

I have always held a suspicion that this is one of the Realms 'Hidden In Plain Sight" secrets, that is, there are natural resources available that provides some of the wealth but not all.

How the rest is generated is a mystery? We know from VGtATM that there is a process by which gemstones can be duplicated making two stones from one.

It would not surpise me if there was a burrowing monster that eats rocks and excretes pure minerals that it cannot digest, so even small amounts of precious ore from lots of rock strata becomes lots of pure deposits once 'processed' by said animal.

Maybe certain interests have fed Aurumvorax to deepspawn to generate a 'quick' supply of pure alloys
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001222c

Given the nature of the Realms and its gates to other worlds, links to para-elemental planes of Gold, Silver, Gems is an obvious possibility, as is extensive trade from world to world, (Faerun has lots of forests and trades wood to Abeir, which is mineral rich but wood poor etc)

Juts a few random thoughts

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  16:33:31  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I tried to find this elsewhere, but I can't find it: the pace where Volothamp Geddarm was born (and likely lived).

I did a process of elimination, which narrows it to somewhere in the Western Heartlands or Dragon coast.
This is based on the idea that, had Volo been born in any region about which he had a book published (as opposed to the ones he wrote), he would have mentioned it (he seems vain enough). So that rules out the North, the Sword coast, Cormyr, the Dales, Baldur's Gate, or Waterdeep.
His looks exclude areas such as the south or the east. Impiltur could probably still be an option, but the few remarks he made of the Simbul exclude Aglarond. The Vilhon Reach does not seem like an area that would spew forth a happy-go-lucky failed wizard (though I guess you can't rule it out).
Volo seems able to travel pretty quickly to Waterdeep, but also managed to quickly make it to the Dales (in the Marco Volo series). So that would point out the Heartlands or the Dragoncoast.
I am leaning towards the Western Heartlands, since to live in the Dragon Coast means one gets some street smart that Volo misses... notably the ability to recognize that publishing people's secrets is a bad idea...

Anyway, I may be totally off.
There are few people to ask, though (I don't think Jeff Grubb will be available). It might simply not ever have been established.
So... does Ed know, and if so is he able to share?
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  16:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I tried to find this elsewhere, but I can't find it: the pace where Volothamp Geddarm was born (and likely lived).

I believe Marcus Wands (aka Volothamp Geddarm, aka Marco Volo) is the son of a noble house of Waterdeep...
I think having read it in Marco Volo - Departure

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 17 Feb 2008 16:55:49
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  17:05:24  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
My friend, Mr. Interesting, has a question...

Will Volo survive the Time skip and the spellplague or will we be dealing with Volo the Third? Is that not interesting?

HV

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  17:14:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I believe Marcus Wands (aka Volothamp Geddarm, aka Marco Volo) is the son of a noble house of Waterdeep...
I think having read it in Marco Volo - Departure

Marcus Wands was impersonating Volothamp Geddarm. The two are not and never have been the same person.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  17:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Marcus Wands was impersonating Volothamp Geddarm. The two are not and never have been the same person.

Allright Boss.

I'm one more naive victim of Marcus Wands' hoax !
I'm unforgivable.
I was told that so many times before. I was so proud to be able to answer someone' question !... Indedd to believe to be proud to !

I'm so sorry Gomez.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 17 Feb 2008 17:50:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  23:53:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

My friend, Mr. Interesting, has a question...

Will Volo survive the Time skip and the spellplague or will we be dealing with Volo the Third? Is that not interesting?

HV

Perhaps Elminster could just turn Volo into a frog lawn ornament once again -- "for his own good" of course!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000