Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Scepter Tower of Spellgard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lodis Knight
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  11:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Lodis Knight's Homepage Send Lodis Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone have info on this new adventure?

Here.

Mod Edit: Shortened the URL.

"Troubled times are upon us."
- Cernd, Baldur's Gate II

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Dec 2007 13:52:23

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  12:27:36  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that WotC gives release dates up to 08/08 - this one is announced for September ...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  12:35:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR1? That's Waterdeep and the North! Quit reusing names and/or product codes, WotC!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  14:51:19  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, come now, milord Grand Sage, WotC appears to be determined to urk, disenfranchise, and all around remove anyone who would actually KNOW that FR1 has already been used. This is the New! Improved! Forgotten Realms! Made for the Hasbro Generation!!! TSWhat?

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  14:57:37  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, anyone notice that now Ed (either of them), Rich, etc, no longer "write" the new D&D stuff, but that the "author" is the Wizards RPG Team? Wow... what a way to make sure the writers and developers remain faceless. What's next? The Wizards Novel Team? Be a good way to prevent going to Rich, The Grand Master of the Realms, or anyone else and clarifying anything that didn't make sense.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  01:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShepherdGunn

Also, anyone notice that now Ed (either of them), Rich, etc, no longer "write" the new D&D stuff, but that the "author" is the Wizards RPG Team? Wow... what a way to make sure the writers and developers remain faceless. What's next? The Wizards Novel Team? Be a good way to prevent going to Rich, The Grand Master of the Realms, or anyone else and clarifying anything that didn't make sense.

I hadn't noticed that, and I don't particularly like it either. Author name is the single biggest factor in selling books, and I still imagine it to have a reasonable pull here. There are certainly books/supplements that I become more interested in if they're written by certain authors.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  11:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is significant. This is for a product that is some months out. Perhaps the final author(s) has(have) yet to be determined?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  14:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

FR1? That's Waterdeep and the North! Quit reusing names and/or product codes, WotC!

That is disappointing.

But to be on the "positive" side, I'd be interested in seeing what is done with Spellgard.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

That is disappointing.

But to be on the "positive" side, I'd be interested in seeing what is done with Spellgard.

they all become eladrins

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  22:55:19  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

That is disappointing.

I'd be interested in the Spellgard if covered by Ed, or one of the few authors who handle the Realms with care.
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  12:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR1...at least it implies a series of adventures!

As stated by Eremite, I think the 'team' authorship is because they haven't decided who'll write it yet, or who gets author credits.
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  23:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rope in the ol' paranoia their, pardner. Amazon always lists products that way when they're still a long way down the track. At the same time as cover art gets posted, we normally get the actual author names listed.
Go to Top of Page

Greg V
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  23:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Greg V's Homepage Send Greg V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The authors for this are David Noonan and Greg A. Vaughan, and the writing for it is basically done.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  23:52:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg V

The authors for this are David Noonan and Greg A. Vaughan, and the writing for it is basically done.

source?

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  23:54:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

source?

Damian

I think if you look at Greg V's profile, that might give you the source right there . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  23:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the info, and welcome to Candlekeep!

While you're here... Anything you can say about this module?

Go to Top of Page

Greg V

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  00:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Greg V's Homepage Send Greg V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately this thing is NDAed up about as tight as can be, so there's not much I can say. Since they already published that it was forthcoming I figured it was safe to fill in on who the authors are instead of the unsatisfying "RPG Team."

I can also confirm that the adventure may or may not include a particular tower in the ruins of Spellgard (hint: it does).

Sorry I can't be more forthcoming at this time.

Greg

Edited by - Greg V on 16 Jan 2008 00:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  01:44:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I figured the NDA would rear its ugly head. But it never hurts to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  08:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and again and again and ...): I am looking forward to seeing the 4.$$$$ presentation of the major artifact The Shadowstaff, which is described in the DMG, with its creation credited to the wizard Malhavoc. If his name disappears from D&D, than I will simply stop buying anything new from Wizards/Hasbro.

Who's "Malhavoc" you ask? He was/is Monte Cook's very first D&D character. If he's left out, Hasbro will have made it clear that they do not want identifiable writers and designers, and I will regard them as I regard Hasbro as I regard scabs who break the WGA strike. Mods, I'm usually a good boy, so please forgive a real world intrusion here: anyone notice how a certain political candidate's campaign went right down the tubes mere days after he crossed the WGA picket line to appear on a certain late night talk show? Does Hasbro honestly think that they can keep D&D profitable by brushing away the writers and designers whose work we know, love, and recommend?

"Harrumph," I say, "harrumph!"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  13:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must resurrect this thread. I am currently running this adventure for my players and have run into a conundrum. The tower itself has one map for it and the rooms within are all shaped differently for every floor. Book 1 says to use dungeon tiles to make the rooms, and while I have all the pieces for each room it says for me to use, i can't make it fit the way it says....it just makes no sense to me. It does say you can see how to place them at dndinsider.com looking for the Scepter Tower of Spellgard Special Feature (which I remember a few years ago seeing the illustrations with how to place the tiles) but now that I actually NEED it, I can't for the life of me find these illustrations on the wizards site. If someone has them or at least a link (I do have an insider account) to where I can find them, I would very much need it (before this saturday's gaming session lol if possible)....odds are its been right under my nose, but help!!!!!!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  17:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I've been looking for the Map Resource that is supposedly on the wizards site for Scepter Tower of Spellgard and I can't find it for the life of me!!!!!!!
I found some links from their forums and such but it leads to NOTHING!!!!!!! wtf is wrong with Wizards making false statements and/or breaking up links to things....I am so angry right now this is stressing me out!!! I can't use a regular computer to search it because any site with the Game keyword is blocked so I am stuck using my iPhone and that is TEDIOUS to search for information that is seemingly non-existent - HOW ARE YOU SUPOPOSED TO USE DUNGEON TILES TO MAKE THOSE ROOMS IN THE SCEPTER TOWER AS PER WHAT THEY SAY IN THE MODULE IT MAKES NO SENSE t%$@#^@#^%##^%@^%@$%$!@#%$

Gahhhhh!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  19:27:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not just make the tower impromptu with what you have?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  19:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok I've been looking for the Map Resource that is supposedly on the wizards site for Scepter Tower of Spellgard and I can't find it for the life of me!!!!!!!
Deep breaths, friend.

Although the original map resource is no longer available, they did release all of the maps from the adventure as a D&DI map gallery. They can be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I stopped wasting my time and just re-worked everything to fit with what I have in a way that makes more sense than the clustercluck that they made in this module. Don't get me wrong, it's a great adventure which can be easily adapted for the campaign's needs, but it was minimally checked for mistakes....

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  03:42:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it doesn't look as cool, but I use Plexi-glass over the old 3.5 black/white battle grid (which I also laminated) and use dry-erase markers to draw everything. Much easier when you can just look at the map, draw it out and add in whatever things you want too. Plus, I've found that the dungeon tiles shift alot during combat and that's annoying as hell!!

Any tips to keeping the tiles together besides putting Plexi-glass on those as well?

Also, I saw I can buy the adventure on Amazon.com for like $5 bucks, so I was wondering if it's worth it? I mean, 5 bucks is nothing so I'll probably get it regardless, but I wanted some opinions!!

Also: Did anyone re-read this scroll??! The nerd-rage from the earlier posts are just plain ol' hilarious. Seriously, it had me chuckling the whole way through.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  04:22:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Also: Did anyone re-read this scroll??! The nerd-rage from the earlier posts are just plain ol' hilarious. Seriously, it had me chuckling the whole way through.

I think that regardless of editions and opinions on them, it's still ridiculous to reuse product codes and titles -- particularly titles. It's even worse when they're reused within one setting. Sure, we've got four Draconomicons, but only one was FR-specific. But we've got two each of Shining South and Lords of Madness, for example, within the same setting.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems lazy and uncreative at best.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  06:23:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But we've got two each of Shining South and Lords of Madness, for example, within the same setting.
That's not technically accurate. FR16 was The Shining South, while the 3e version was just Shining South. And I think you meant the two Lords of Darkness tomes [which we've had two of], rather than Lords of Madness.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  15:10:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

But we've got two each of Shining South and Lords of Madness, for example, within the same setting.
That's not technically accurate. FR16 was The Shining South, while the 3e version was just Shining South. And I think you meant the two Lords of Darkness tomes [which we've had two of], rather than Lords of Madness.

Yeah, Lords of Darkness. Was late.

I don't think the presence of a leading article is really enough to differentiate between the two Shining Souths, though. It's all too easy for someone to recall that a bit of lore is in one of those two books, but not the other -- and whether or not there's a "The" on the cover won't help them narrow it down without asking someone else.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  16:25:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think the presence of a leading article is really enough to differentiate between the two Shining Souths, though. It's all too easy for someone to recall that a bit of lore is in one of those two books, but not the other -- and whether or not there's a "The" on the cover won't help them narrow it down without asking someone else.

Eh. I never encountered that type of situation. Each and every time I've directed a scribe to either tome in conversation, they've welcomed the differentiation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  17:16:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Eh. I never encountered that type of situation. Each and every time I've directed a scribe to either tome in conversation, they've welcomed the differentiation.

No, I mean someone researching on their own, without asking someone else. If I recall reading about Ramael the Reader, for example, and I recall that he was described in the section on Halruaa in one of the two books, having both books bear the same name makes it harder to figure out which book it was. If, on the other hand, I recalled that he was in the one called (hypothetically) Lands of the Shining South, then that would have been easier to locate. Same thing if I remembered a particular locale being described in Lords of Darkness, but I can't remember if it was the 1E one or the 3E one.

A lot of things, I remember not so much what source they're in, as much as I remember what other stuff was also in that source. So I don't remember as readily that factoid X was in book A, as much as I recall that factoid X was in the same book as factoids Y and Z -- and since all three factoids pertain to the same aspect of Realmslore, I recall the book that covered it. I personally haven't had issues with remembering whether something was in REF5 Lords of Darkness or Lords of Darkness, or in either FR16 The Shining South* or Shining South -- but I can see how that would trip up others.

*Oddly, for a lot of the 1E and 2E stuff, I recall the FR or FOR product code almost as readily as the actual title.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  20:31:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back On-Topic:

The map that accompanied this product showed a road going off into the desert.

Anyone know anything about this? It isn't on the Loudwater map in the FRCS. Was there a purpose for this? I am not that familiar with the adventure itself, but I do not see it mentioned anywhere, so I have to wonder as to why it was drawn that way.

Anyone familiar with 4eFR please chime-in - do the Shades trade with others, like a normal state would?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000