Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monk class possibilities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unixx
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  08:34:39  Show Profile  Visit unixx's Homepage Send unixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
well, first off as i said i'm new to the site. *bows* Thank you cult leader. In any case i don't know how to post anything yet for other peoples strings. so if you can help me out with that much thanks to you. to the point. i'm actually very good at 3e and would be interested in any ideas that you people could write down concerning monks and anything you would like to mix them with. My personal favorite is a wizard/monk, but i would like to see what others have cooked up. so write down here and let me know. you might just get a cookie.

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 May 2003 10:08:40

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  08:52:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings to you unixx,

I am the Sage of Perth, a master of Realms Lore.

To answer your questions, when you see a topic or string that you wish to answer or reply to, simply use the 'Reply to topic' option located in the top right-hand corner of the forum board for the topic you are viewing. This will bring up a screen for inputting messages similar to the screen you used to post a new topic. The rest is pretty much explained by the buttons on the message input box. However if you posted this message, you should be pretty familiar with using the message input screen.

I have never been a great fan of the monk core class, but I did use a modified monk class PC with a githzerai (as a disciple of Zerthimon), back in a Planescape campaign several months ago. I quite enjoyed it actually, but I relied heavily on the teachings of Zerthimon from the Planescape: Torment CRPG, to make the monk more to my liking.

That is really the only monk class character I have ever used, as I am more of a wizard class PC myself.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  08:53:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I forgot to ask -

Do I still get that cookie

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

unixx
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:14:43  Show Profile  Visit unixx's Homepage Send unixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you for your help. *bows arm extended with cookie* enjoy, i must be blind.if your a wizardly person then you should notice the benifits of being part wizard. 1st. your always armed (no pun intended.) 2nd. you improve your A.C. 3rd. your movement keeping you out of melee when possible. 4th. your saves increase more rapidly. 5th. you have a better chance for hitting when useing those pesky touch/ranged touch spells. 6th. a little bit better hit points. but in the end *shrug* it's really up to you becasue you do level a bit slower, but in the long run it's well worth it.

Unixx.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:22:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage receives the cookie with appreciation, and starts munching away while returning to his reading of a old scroll::

What I meant, by being a wizard PC Unixx, was that in most cases, my wizard PC normally takes the Loremaster PrC, or I take a few levels as a Cleric of Oghma, which normally leaves little room for being a monk, what with the scroll and bookish leanings that my PC normally portrays.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

unixx
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:41:41  Show Profile  Visit unixx's Homepage Send unixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, all cleared up then. i tend to like magic and like wizards but found them too vulnerable, especially against pesky pcs. so i duel class most of 'em into monk just to give'em a little help. most of the time i end up as a diviner with a couple offensive spells for personal protection. but i really haven't found a wizard PrC i like yet. maybe geomance but thats about it

Unixx.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2003 :  12:33:37  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Artalis pokes his head in to the room "cookies?"

"Oh, I see" turns around and goes back to his desk piled high with scrolls.

Monk/Cleric would work well and is a nice combination of abilities to boot...

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  23:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monka are one of my favorite classes. I see them as all combat skill (snatch arrow, improved initiative) and less about magic. Sure it'd be great to be able to cast a spell then punch someone in the teeth, but I see monks doing all sorts of crazy backflips then punching someone in the teeth.

In MHO, Monks should be more speed and less magic, which is why I plan to Prestige my Monk into a shadowdancer.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  07:12:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good choice Salius . The Shadowdancer PrC is one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  07:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my first two characters are definately wizards. However, should I ever be playing enough D&D to get to another character (here's hoping), that third one will either be a fighter with a serious archery focus or a monk. Haven't really decided.

The reason for this is that the first character has, as his prime focus, knowledge, combined with a love of magic. The second, power, also with a love of magic. The third personality, I've decided, is skill. Either the archer or the monk would be perfect for that.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 06 Jul 2003 07:57:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  08:13:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That an interesting way of selecting PC's Bookwyrm. I have used methods similar to this when I have had to choose a class for a particular character I wish to play. The 'focus' model helps to define the parameters (or in some classes cases, lack thereof) of the class you wish to play. If I have selected to play a wizard, it is because my primary focus will be on knowledge and intellect rather than physical powers. If I choose a fighter or barbarian, I am exclusively looking to develop physical prowess to it's fullest.

Monks I normally see as focusing on the spiritual nature of the PC, the inner power, or the raw uncorrupted essence of being.

For skill, I normally look for the Rogue or Bard.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  09:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, yes, spiritual is good. But I was thinking of the part in the PHB where it says monks like to test against each other to see whose ki is strongest. Besides, if I do a monk, he'd be more of a focus on physical than spiritual skill. As for the archer-focused fighter, it takes a lot of skill to be an archer, and the sort of personality I have in mind would be good for that one as well. It's basically the same sort of thing, in this case.

If I were doing spirituality, I'd do a paladin or cleric. Probably a paladin, actually, since that class is -- to my mind -- suited to that sort of focus. Staying on the Right Path and all.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:03:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really haven't seen Paladins in that light. But I do have the tendency to view the Paladin, much like I view the 'Knights of Solamnia' from Dragonlance, following the tenets set down in the 'Oath and the Measure'. It gives Paladins/Knights more of an earthly perspective.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  18:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, a paladin is someone who would die for their cause before running away. Especially if that cause had something to do with their god. Paladins are die-hard fanatics about their gods. The Paladins of Illmatter even punish themselves to be one with their gods.
I see paladins as all around Spiritual.

For skills, rougues and bards are definately the right choice. A level 1 Halfling Rouge automatically gets aproximately 40 skill points. But what they have in skills, they more than lack in combat.

Bookwyrm: For an archer, I would definately go fighter. Fighters and Humans both get an addition starting feat. So a level one Human Fighter would automatically gey at least 3 starting feats. The drawback to this though, is that a human can't become an arcane archer (which is pretty much the ultimate archer prestige). But if your really interested in becoming and archer, Bookwyrm, I have a book with another really good Archer prestige class calle Order of the Bow Initiate. If you were an elven archer, you could start out as fighter, then Order of the Bow Initiate, them prestige to Arcane Archer. Let me know if you would like the stats for the Archer Prestigese (you might not need them for a while, but if you plan to do the archer thing, they would be nice to have)

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  03:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, Salius. I have the Arcane Archer stats, of course, and the Peerless Archer, but I've never heard of the Order. Is it official or homebrew? And if the latter, did you do it?

(By the way, in case you had thought otherwise -- I wasn't talking about skill points up there. Just skill.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  08:20:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, 'Order of the Bow Initiate' is a PrC from the accessory Sword and Fist.

If anybody is interested I have compiled a list of all the officially published PrC, from game tomes, Dragon Magazine, and on the WotC website. I will post it here if enough people request to see it. I mainly utilise it for reference purposes, and it comes in quite handy, especially when you can't remember where a certain PrC was published.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2003 08:21:27
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  08:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I have that one in a computer file, along with Defenders of the Faith and Tome and Blood. The latter is the only one I've read. I'll look into that file, though.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  21:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well then, it would seem (I have no need to post the Prestige Class's stats and stuff.

Sage of Perth: If you geta chance, a list of all the PrC's would be very helpful to me and a few pople in my campaign.

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  02:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, now that I've read Sword and Fist, that I'll actually go after the Duelist PrC . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:37:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salius, I will email the list to you. As a bonus I have left the links on the list, to PrC that have been detailed on the WotC website.

Enjoy .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  21:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, how about sending it to me in an e(thereal)-mail too?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  07:54:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's on the way Bookwyrm. I am just having a little trouble with a particularly vile Shadow Elemental .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just arived. That shadow elemental showed up right before it, though, and made me mess up my own portal; however, I believe I managed to dodge his second attack.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000