Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running the City of Sails
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  05:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've just begun running a campaign that will take place in Luskan, City of Sails. It revolves around a solo PC elven rogue who wishes to one day lead a powerful theives guild. Thus far he's affiliated himself with "King" Golgoth and the Shadow-thieves of Luskan and is working small jobs for them.

He's also out for the blood of a certain Maztican who double-crossed him and drugged him.

What I'm looking for is other DMs who've run adventures or campaigns based in or around the City of Sails. I'd like to hear about your adventures and campaigns, or just any useful tips on running the City of Sails.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  05:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Maztican? That must be an interesting story.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  06:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, and sure to be a short one... since the PC will get an oppurtunity for revenege all too soon. The Maztican is a 2nd level Ranger, the PC will soon be a 3rd level Rogue... he also plans on multi-classing to Wizard at around 4th or 5th level and specializing in spells such as Knock and Cat's Grace to improve his thievery.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:32:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that I could provide much help on this topic, since in my FR campaign, the City of Sails (and the immediate surrounding area) is presently occupied and run by a renegade Tanar'ri Lord and his retinue who escaped the Blood War to Faerun in my Planescape campaign from last year.

I will scan through my archives though, just to see if there is any useful information for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo. That's a doozy. Is their rule open, and if so, what are the good folk of the Realms doing about it?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:56:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when you take into consideration, the Tanar'ri's racial tendancies for chaos, and the fact that the City of Sails has never been known as an orderly place, open rule would seem to be the norm. However the Lord and his forces have been very subtle in manipulating the ruling authorities of Luskan, and the general populace of the city aren't even aware of the demon in their midst. The Tanar'ri Lord grants benefits and favors to the ruling elite, but only because it keeps them subservient to the demon's powers. Eventually, I plan to have the Tanar'ri Lord start to make open movements, gathering his forces in order to eventually increase his power here on Faerun.

As for the the good folk, well, the Harpers have been aware for some time of the situation in Luskan. But the environment is tense at this point. The Harpers are busy gathering intelligence on exactly how far the demon's rule infects the city. They are also building alliances and making inways for the eventual liberation of the city, but the question remains of what to do after the Tanarr'ri has been banished. Luskan is a harse place afterall, and the Harpers will find establishing true orderly government very difficult. Hence the reason they are taking it slow.

And to make matters worse, the Blackstaff has not displayed any concerns about the situation in Luskan, even considering the proxmity to Waterdeep. Infact he left for an interdimensional tour several weeks ago.

I could keep going, but I don't want to corrupt this thread with my own directions for Luskan so...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By all means, start a new thread on this. Maybe one for DMs who make big changes like this. It's interesting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an interesting idea, infact....

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I saw you puting a new scroll on your shelves . . .

::unrolls and reads::

Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  00:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PLAYERS IN MY CAMPAIGN, DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING!

All right, next sessions encounters will go as follows:

1. The PC will run into an ambitious young mageling (Wiz 2) who has been givien the task of removing an unwanted elf from the city streets before he causes any more trouble. He will be accompanied by two members of the city militia (War 1) who will do all the fighting in this encounter. The mageling will get flustered and escape once the PC has dispatched the two militia men.

2. The PC will again run into the Maztican, Tu'quaotl (Rgr 2) who before double-crossed him and robbed him of his earnings. This should be a fight to the death unless Tu'quaotl can manage to escape. He likes to use poisons, so this should be a rough encounter.

3. The ambitious mageling will eventually return to battle the PC himself, another perilous battle. The mageling is unlikely to think of escape before it is too late, as he is a fanatic and sees this task as a good oppurtunity to make a name for himself among the Brotherhood underwizards.

4. The PC will travel with a group of "King" Golgoth's men out of Luskan, along the road to Mirabar, where they are to ambush one underwizard by charge of another. The underwizard will likely be too powerful for the PC (Wiz 5), so he will instead engage the wizards bodyguards (War 1), and perhaps his assistant (Wiz 2).
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  00:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, does anyone know if any maps exist of the Arcane Brotherhood's Host Tower, or other buildings within Luskan.

Perhaps of the Cutlass, or the Public Baths?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  07:09:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herr Doktor, I have found this site, which not only contains several maps of Luskan, but a trove of useful information about the city and the surrounding environs. Just scroll down the page, after it is loaded, to see the various sections of information about Luskan, both official and fan-created.

Hope that helps.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  17:21:48  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my forgotten realms campaign I MAKE the computer games Canon. So if you played NEVER WINTER knights you KNOW what happened to them. Well Neverwinter Counterattacked, and decimated Luskan. The Arcane Brotherhood is scattered (many of the high level mages killed in the game itself, but they magically TOOK the host tower with them), and there are SOME Lords of Luskan left alive (I have to check my noted for which ones).

Baldur's gate is Canon as far as my campaign is concerned as well, and the Bhaalspawn is living down in Amn and a powerful force for good in the realms.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  02:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Eye of the Beholder CRPG trilogy wouldn't be hard to make canon, but did you do the same with Menzoberranzan? That one strikes me as impossible to reconcile.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 08 Jul 2003 02:56:17
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:23:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

The Eye of the Beholder CRPG trilogy wouldn't be hard to make canon, but did you do the same with Menzoberranzan? That one strikes me as impossible to reconcile.

I have Menzoberranzan as a silver archive game. I only got an hour into it, and I think I hit a bug. I missed some kind of stone somewhere and can't get past an NPC. So I have no idea WHAT Menzoberranzan is about. The game came out during a time when I was in the NAvy and did not have a computer.

I am going to post something about this in the Computer Games Section.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:26:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check into that Mournblade. I may be able to offer some assistance.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:42:55  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I'll check into that Mournblade. I may be able to offer some assistance.

Thanks sage, that would kick the proverbial ass!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  08:27:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I will need a little information about what system you are running the game on, and especially important - what version of the game, since there was more than one released.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  21:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stone? I think I might know what it is. You can't go into the cave to the Underdark because you can't get the gems for the druid(?) NPC to enchant, right?

Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  03:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, well... unfortunately this campaign has reached an untimely end! Which I suppose is not so bad... as one of the players in my group just got back from Europe and would have to be introduced into the solo-campaign. Now we're just going to start a new one.

What happened:

The PC was doing well for himself, he earned himself a wand of burning hands and was making good use of his Use Magic Device ranks and everything was going quite well. Then he ran into the Maztican.

Round 1: PC leaps down through the cold damp sewer grate after the Maztican and gives chase after the man taunts him. The Maztican who is waiting and ready when the PC drops from the grate throws a half-spear coated with Purple Worm poison and hits the PC.

Round 2: The PC takes out his short bow and fires at the Maztican, misses horribly. The Maztican moves forward, quickdraws his short sword and another half-spear and attacks the PC, critical threat, but the critical doesn't go through.

Round 3: The PC draws his longsword and hits the Maztican for minimum damage. The Maztican does full attack actions and scores two critical hits! The PC is killed.

Usually, I would've pulled a few punches. In this case I didn't because the PC took a great risk in following the Maztican, who he knew was terribly dangerous, into his lair... and because earlier I had pulled the punches of two 1st level warriors, who should've not been much of a challenge for a 3rd level rogue, who had secretly killed him three times.

Now we're starting a new campaign, that looks to be starting somewhere in the locale of Lands of Intrigue. The PC who was the Rogue is now a 4th level human monk of the Shining Hand. He is travelling with an NPC 3rd level air genasi wizard from Calimshan. The other PC who has returned from Europe has not yet made his character, so we'll see how it goes from there.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  03:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoosh. Well, that's the way the dice roll . . . um . . . guess that's not so abstract here, is it . . . .

Well, I'd already picked out a basic, un-fleshed-out PC in case mine ever dies . . . not that I've had a chance to do anything much with the first one for some time now. However, Mumadar said he'd try to be back with the PbeM mid-month. I hope he will be.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:25:01  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Stone? I think I might know what it is. You can't go into the cave to the Underdark because you can't get the gems for the druid(?) NPC to enchant, right?

That is EXACTLY correct Bookwyrm! I can't find the gems and I have been back dozens of times. I hate when there is one vital piece that is not obvious that you can skip over if you are not careful.

And Doktor, that has happened to me many times. Good adventure, bad player choices, but there IS a certain pleasure in aquiring your DM DEATH RATING.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you find the leo-something's lair? All four gems are in it. It's on the eastern edge of the map between the NPC's cottage and the map with the cave to the Underdark.

Gee, I hope you don't have this much problem with the third level of the dwarven temple -- that was a complicated puzzle. Or at least it was for a 14/15 year old's first game of that sort.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  07:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I once looked on the Internet, just for fun, for any player-created walkthroughs. I didn't need it, having beaten the game several times, but wanted to see what others had to say about it. I didn't find one accurate one. So, if you need any help (assuming that this isn't a glitch, just player error), email me. I should be able to help you out.

I might not on certain things, though -- my copy of the game has been missing for a few years. Figures, no? Oh, how I've wanted to play that again. It's too bad they didn't write a better script for it, but the play was fun.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  23:31:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, I once looked on the Internet, just for fun, for any player-created walkthroughs. I didn't need it, having beaten the game several times, but wanted to see what others had to say about it. I didn't find one accurate one. So, if you need any help (assuming that this isn't a glitch, just player error), email me. I should be able to help you out.

I might not on certain things, though -- my copy of the game has been missing for a few years. Figures, no? Oh, how I've wanted to play that again. It's too bad they didn't write a better script for it, but the play was fun.

Thanks bookwyrm that should help a bit! I am playing a bunch of other games now, but hopefully I'll get back to it soon!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:51:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if Bookwyrm is unable to help out with some parts Mournblade - I have my original boxed copy sitting on my lap as I am typing this - just email me, and I'll see what I can do.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:56:17  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

And if Bookwyrm is unable to help out with some parts Mournblade - I have my original boxed copy sitting on my lap as I am typing this - just email me, and I'll see what I can do.

WHOA that will be quite helpful! I will let you know if I run into a jam!

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  07:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you didn't know about the leumater's cave (I know I'm getting the name wrong, could someone help me on that?), then you might have also missed Drizzt's cave as well. It's up on the north edge of that same map. You can pick up his old piwafwi there (it's useless), a scimitar, and a sack. You also get an excerpt from his diary there -- the "no drow word for love" passage.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000