Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 mithral
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  17:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can you have mithral leather armor?
This would not normally pertain to the Reals except I am setting up a character for a PBEM campain and would like to make sure to have as little armor incurring my spellcasting as possible.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 16 Oct 2007 17:59:18

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:04:45  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no. the rules state it must be mostly metal armor.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not believe that you can have mithril leather armor. Mithril is a special material for metal armor and weapons. You should look into glass steel (I don't remember which book that is in though). A glass steel chain shirt would work I would think.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nuts. i thought it was kind of weird but... well i just will wear chain shirt. it's only 10% after all

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i](I don't remember which book that is in though). A glass steel chain shirt would work I would think.

thats races of faerun

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is also mentioned in Player's Handbook II. Yet another thing 3e core stole from 3e Realms.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:13:53  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you can have mithril in a leather armor!
The problem is, there would not be enough mithril in the armor to make any real difference in weight or protection.
For flavor, it's absolutely possible. A studded leather armor with mithral studs would be cooler than The +125 Studded Leather Armor of Death and Most Certain Doom with iron studs. Almost, at least.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:14:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithral is metal. Leather is animal skin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:19:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the DM of said email game, I'm going to go with most of the posters and say no mithril in leather. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  14:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

As the DM of said email game, I'm going to go with most of the posters and say no mithril in leather. :)

fair enough

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  15:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to look at the twilight armor property. Sorry, but at this ungodly hour of the morning, I can't remember which book it is in. Either that, or just some plain old bracers of armor.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  16:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twilight Armor is in PHB II I think....

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  16:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. Thanks for the correction. It is difficult to remember everything from every book while I am at work and do not have easy access to my books.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  16:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Nightscale or Spidersilk armor from Underdark.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:54:29  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Check out Nightscale or Spidersilk armor from Underdark.

I just looked in my copy of Underdark for Nightscale, but was unable to locate it. Could someone list the page number, please?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  19:01:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as someone else mentioned, there is twilight as a property which could be added to the armor as a +1 bonus (this gives an additional 10% off). Also, from the DMGII, there's the feycraft property if you could get fey to craft your mithril armor (this gives an additional 5% off). Feycraft can also be useful if you plan on have a mithril heavy shield. Also, as a sidenote, there is a spell which doubles the arcane spell failure of armor for use against enemy's who employ these types of options.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000