Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Purple Dragon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 16:25:21
they say there may be one in the FRCS. is there any stats anywhere for it?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 16:15:46
I don't believe there were stats published... or at least, none immediately come to mind.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 16:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Two questions:
1) Anyone seen stats for Thauglor anywhere?
2) Is Mistinarperadnacles (his second at the Feint of Honor) the same as Mistinarperadnacles Hai Draco from Alias trilogy?

Don't recall seeing stats for Thauglor... But Cormyr was co-authored by Jeff Grubb, who co-authored all the books Mist appeared in -- so it's likely the same dragon.
The Hooded One Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 15:57:46
Zireael, Thauglor's stats have never been published in canon Realmslore.
Why? Well, for his generation, a dragon never tells.
love,
THO

P.S. Or to put it slightly more seriously: who among mortal chroniclers of Faerun would have been able to observe him closely enough to even guess at correct stats?
Yes, that's right: no one.
George Krashos Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 15:54:18
Or Arik could be obliquely telling you that the two dragons are one and the same.

-- George Krashos
Ayrik Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 14:21:14
Mistinarperadnacles is a common name throughout Cormyr; half of Azoun's sons are named Mistinarperadnacles, and the other half can be heard shouting "Mistinarperadnacles is my middle name!" in moments of heated bravado. Common folk often name their firstborn children Mistinarperadnacles, assigning simple numeric designators to differentiate between them when necessary.
Zireael Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 13:50:56
Two questions:
1) Anyone seen stats for Thauglor anywhere?
2) Is Mistinarperadnacles (his second at the Feint of Honor) the same as Mistinarperadnacles Hai Draco from Alias trilogy?
Tyranthraxus Posted - 13 Aug 2008 : 05:47:53
This thread has been very useful for me, as the PC's in my campaign are in Cormyr (and playing through Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave).

This reply made me think of something...

quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Cultist

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
His scales became a purplish color because he was so very, very old.

I prefer the claim of "the old Cormyrian forester" quoted in the FRCS, page 115. Thus spake the greybeard:
"The purple comes from elven magic that entered the blood of dragons here long ago [...] It lets the creature take man-shape and do other great and terrible things besides."

I acknowledge that I'm being selectively literal here. Occam's razor would suggest that natural discoloration is more likely. However, as a DM I prefer to look for that which inspires adventure the most...

Now, the 'taking of man-shape' bit doesn't signify anything mysterious above standard Monster Manual fare. The red, gold and silver dragons can all polymorph to human(oid) shape. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

I have a theory, could it be that Vangerdahast is the new Purple Dragon? I'm just guessing because I don't know what happened between the Cormyr saga and the 3E FRCS only that the old snoop was turned into a dragon or something to protect the land.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 May 2008 : 15:42:13
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

Now, the 'taking of man-shape' bit doesn't signify anything mysterious above standard Monster Manual fare. The red, gold and silver dragons can all polymorph to human(oid) shape. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Sorry, reds cannot polymorph into human shape, and normally they wouldn't do it if they could because of their pride. There are red dragons which learned to adopt human shape (Tchazzar, for example), but they are exceptions.

As a rule of thumb: Evil dragons do not have the ability to polymorph, only good ones have.

Not that it's particularly relevant, but I created a red dragon for one of my short stories who could assume human form--but that was by use of a magic item, and not an inherent ability. That dragon is statted up in Dragons of Faerun.

Cheers
Dragon Cultist Posted - 19 May 2008 : 12:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Sorry, reds cannot polymorph into human shape, and normally they wouldn't do it if they could because of their pride. There are red dragons which learned to adopt human shape (Tchazzar, for example), but they are exceptions.

As a rule of thumb: Evil dragons do not have the ability to polymorph, only good ones have.

I stand corrected! Quite a slip of me, guess my mind must have been on a spring holiday. I looked it up and of the evil dragons, only the deep dragon and a number of linnorms (corpse tearer & some others) can readily take humanoid shape.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 May 2008 : 23:35:23
The red dragon in BG2 (Firkraag) uses the polymorph spell to lure the PC into his trap.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 12 May 2008 : 21:04:17
quote:

fw190a8 Posted - 11 May 2008 : 17:44:08
Thauglor had an acid breath weapon, but as stated earlier in the thread, he was a black dragon, not a "purple dragon," so if there is such a thing, I have no idea what it might breathe. The line taken in Cormyr: A Novel is that he was an extremely old black dragon whose scales had faded, so it's a bit like blackcurrants: the berries are pretty much black, but the juice is purple!

It was Azoun II who slew Thauglor, by driving his sword into the dragon's eye then his brain (Cormyr: A Novel, chapter 22).

Occam's razor of which Dragon Cultist speaks is detailed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occams_Razor for those interested. More on Thauglor at http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Thauglor (contains spoilers for Cormyr: A Novel).
Runis Silverhammer Posted - 11 May 2008 : 13:00:22
So what would a purple one attack you with as a breath weapon? Acid? Fire? Frost? Poison? :S I think i'll stick to the taverns and not venture out if these things are out there! :S
Dragon Cultist Posted - 10 May 2008 : 21:26:23
quote:

I prefer the claim of "the old Cormyrian forester" quoted in the FRCS, page 115. Thus spake the greybeard:
"The purple comes from elven magic that entered the blood of dragons here long ago [...] It lets the creature take man-shape and do other great and terrible things besides."

I acknowledge that I'm being selectively literal here. Occam's razor would suggest that natural discoloration is more likely. However, as a DM I prefer to look for that which inspires adventure the most...

crazedventurers Posted - 17 Nov 2007 : 15:20:50
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Anf following on from Garen's as always cogent comment, this comes from Ed after I queried him about what banner Azoun would have ridden under for my "Valashar" piece in GhotR. Enjoy.

The earliest collective symbol of Cormyr was a shield
or banner field of light blue (the sky), with the......

Thanks George a very useful post for my Cormyr game

Cheers

Damian
Aravine Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 13:19:07
quote:
Originally posted by turox

quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

I would, but my school has blocked the link

My work used to do that, instead of www give shadow a try. So it should start out like shadow.wizards.com

No dice. thanks, though.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 01:40:47
I agree with the Sage that reading the Cormyr novel is essential (and fun!) for learning the basic background on the Forest Kingdom.
Ergdusch Posted - 03 Nov 2007 : 09:14:45
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Thauglor was slain by Azoun II in 1018, giving his descendants every right to embrace the charge on their shields.

Mmh, the Dragon Roll Call sais he was slain by Azoun I. However the GHotR, p. 115 supports you! I believe the Roll Call is wrong than....
Ergdusch Posted - 03 Nov 2007 : 08:43:26
Statistics:
Thauglorimorgorus, also called "The Black Doom," "Thauglor the Mighty," "The Purple Dragon"; Dead; Male, ancient, black Dragon; Laired in the Storm Horns; Defeated by Iliphar Nelnueve, and later slain by King Azoun I; Sources: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 113, Cormyr: A Novel

For any other dragons from Corymr you might want to check the Dragon Roll Call or see my thread for anything on Cormyr - Looking for all about Cormyr.

Edit note: fixed the links
Garen Thal Posted - 03 Nov 2007 : 01:03:04
And, since George was kind enough to share this, I've cobbled together a page with the image I generated in response to the lore.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/garen/images/Pride.html
George Krashos Posted - 03 Nov 2007 : 00:43:35
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The Purple Dragon actually had no direct association with the Obarskyr family until Duar (then prince) and his friends had an adventuring band by that name. They adopted the name thanks to the legends of Thauglor--who none of the royal family ever knew was a black dragon--and Duar only took the name for the army from the Dragons in memory of his loyal companions.

It is common for noble families to adopt as their arms beasts that they have slain (or family legend claims that they slew). Thauglor was slain by Azoun II in 1018, giving his descendants every right to embrace the charge on their shields.

Anf following on from Garen's as always cogent comment, this comes from Ed after I queried him about what banner Azoun would have ridden under for my "Valashar" piece in GhotR. Enjoy.

The earliest collective symbol of Cormyr was a shield
or banner field of light blue (the sky), with the
bottom third of the shield green with a scalloped top
edge (trees), and sticking up vertically from the
center of the trees, "halfway up" the sky, a single
gray castle keep tower (featureless [no windows,
stonework "joint lines," or anything of the sort],
tapering slightly towards the top, and crowned by
simple crenelated battlements (a "flat crown" of four
teeth: two simple merlons in the middle and two
flaring ones on the outsides).

This blazon was known as "the Pride of the Realm" and
signified the foundation of the human realm of Cormyr,
in a wild green forest. As such, it was considered
defiant to elves, and later insulting to elves. (Hence
its ready replacement by the Purple Dragon.)

Prince Azoun would personally have used the banner of
the Obarskyrs: a green field ("middling green,"
representing verdant farm fields or grass, not the
dark green of trees), upon which is displayed a circle
of gold chain, surmounted by a gold five-spired crown
(central spike is the tallest, outside ones next
tallest, those between shorter). The crown is depicted
side-on, and the circle as if it was pinned in shape
on a green tabletop that had been turned vertical to
the viewer [so it forms a perfectly circular "O"
shape].

-- George Krashos

P.S This was another of my GHotR "easter eggs" that seemingly no-one picked up on.
The Sage Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 23:34:57
In ancient times, the Purple Dragon ruled what would become Cormyr. To the people of Cormyr, Thauglorimorgorus is a symbol of legitimate rule, a mantle passed to the elves when their champion defeated him, and thence to the Obarskyrs.

It's all in Cormyr: A Novel, essential reading if you want to know what this kingdom is about.

I would say that the people of Cormyr do [willingly] 'confuse' Azoun with the long-ago Purple Dragon.
Garen Thal Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 23:31:10
The Purple Dragon actually had no direct association with the Obarskyr family until Duar (then prince) and his friends had an adventuring band by that name. They adopted the name thanks to the legends of Thauglor--who none of the royal family ever knew was a black dragon--and Duar only took the name for the army from the Dragons in memory of his loyal companions.

It is common for noble families to adopt as their arms beasts that they have slain (or family legend claims that they slew). Thauglor was slain by Azoun II in 1018, giving his descendants every right to embrace the charge on their shields.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 22:11:05
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

quote:

quote:

All I know is that the "Purple" Dragon was actually a Black Dragon...

Anyone care to explain that one to me?

So essentially a Lawful Good Kingdom (for the most part I'm guessing) took as its heraldic symbol an evil dragon?

Interesting...

Not only is it a powerful symbol, but all the lands of Cormyr used to be the domain of Thauglor. So Cormyr was once, literally, ruled by the Purple Dragon.
Dalor Darden Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 21:57:39
quote:

quote:

So essentially a Lawful Good Kingdom (for the most part I'm guessing) took as its heraldic symbol an evil dragon?

Interesting...
Hawkins Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 17:42:31
quote:

Dalor Darden Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 17:38:58

turox Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 17:16:23
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

My work used to do that, instead of www give shadow a try. So it should start out like shadow.wizards.com
Hawkins Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 17:09:11
Would you like me to email you the file? PM with you email address if that would work for you.
Aravine Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 16:56:28

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000