Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster and Resurrection
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:24:35  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If Elminster had to get his hands on a Resurrection spell, either to bring someone back from the dead or to cure vampirism, how would he go about getting one? He is a cleric himself, but only 3rd level. Would he contact a cleric, and if so, who? Does he have any close friends that could perform the Resurrection?

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:43:37  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He could always call on Mystra. He is one of her chosen after all and could probably have some direct intervention. Additionally, the old sage has been around long enough, he should have an ally or two around that could assist with this

my 2 coppers
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:49:48  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

He could always call on Mystra. He is one of her chosen after all and could probably have some direct intervention. Additionally, the old sage has been around long enough, he should have an ally or two around that could assist with this

my 2 coppers

Hmm. As for calling on Mystra, I was hoping to avoid a deus ex machina in the plotline. And I naturally assume he has connections with powerful clerics, I was hoping that someone here might know who would be the first person to pop into Elminster's mind if he needed a Resurrection performed.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, my take on this would be that he is likely to know of, or have on hand, various magic items that he could use. In 3.5 parlance, he could easily have a Staff of Life laying around, and beyond that, if he really needed to bring someone back, he could use a wish.

Also, as we saw in the Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy, its appears there are a few necromantic arcane spells that might be able to raise the dead, but it appears that the version that they used in those books required a "quid pro quo" when it came to resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  05:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well presumably a "minimalist" Forgotten Realms where you keep Archpriests in low demand and you don't want Elminster to just be able to cast Wish.

I imagine Elminster would probably seek out Cadderyl as the most powerful priest in the Realms.

...or have Adventurers seek him out for him.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  05:17:28  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Staff of Life idea. One thing I'm noticing though, is that the d20srg.org seems to list the spell Resurrection as a spell that's unable to bring undead creatures to life until after they've been destroyed. If a vampire wanted to be made human again, he'd have to be destroyed first, correct?

Edit: Nevermind, I can work that into the plotline as well.

Edited by - Calrond on 21 Jan 2007 05:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  06:39:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

I like the Staff of Life idea. One thing I'm noticing though, is that the d20srg.org seems to list the spell Resurrection as a spell that's unable to bring undead creatures to life until after they've been destroyed. If a vampire wanted to be made human again, he'd have to be destroyed first, correct?

Edit: Nevermind, I can work that into the plotline as well.

There was an arcane (IIRC) spell in the 2E sourcebook Evermeet that was specifically designed to bring undead back to life.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  06:43:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was the "Gift of Life" High Magic spell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  07:29:41  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found something that might work just as well on the Wizards forum archives.
quote:
Reverse-vampirism was covered many editions ago, in one of the old Dragon articles, I think. It's a complicated (and extremely rare)ritual involving a full solar ecilpse, whereby the vampire ventures forth during the brief darkness into an area that has been hallowed, then allows himself to be blessed, filled with positive energy (from a heal spell), then drinks holy water created by a cleric or paladin of no less than 15th level. It is said that if the vampire truly wishes to change, the alteration will occur at this moment and he will be returned to his mortal, living form.

Any other advice as far as reversing vampirism goes?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000