Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A call to arms...err...pens
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  21:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there or will there be material which details tests a character has to take to join a specific Prestige Class.

It has been shown before, although I can't remember the source atm, but it would be great to see what a person would have to do to join any Realms specific prestige class (and the others too, of course).

Has there been such a thing or is my mind playing tricks on me, it sometimes does...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Edited by - Mace Hammerhand on 25 Oct 2006 19:18:23

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  22:27:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well descriptive text for Prc sometimes provide a requirement for atomement, fairly sure alll do not. In some ways the rules in effect provide a test. BAB +6 or preform, etc. such skills would in RP need to be proven. PCs after all do not know their BAB, hits points, nor even their skill ranks (the player knows them the PC just knows they are skilled enough to pass a test.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  09:17:25  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This question is for me and my players the whole essence of Role Play for character advancement!

I throw challanges at my players depending on which Prc they wish to become, Though the whole process can be developed from 1st Lvl and worked into the adventure / campaign as a hook.

For example:

My current Char Delzounblood is aspiring to become a battlerager, His TEST will be to defeat a diffficult monster using no hand weapons, the only weapon he can use is his body! This is on top of all the extra Battlerager training he is undertaking at present even though he is a good couple of levels from the Prc requisite.

Basically the testing began at 1stLvl and is still going, usually head first into a brick wall!

But a set list to work from and add to would be good.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  14:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

This question is for me and my players the whole essence of Role Play for character advancement!

I throw challanges at my players depending on which Prc they wish to become, Though the whole process can be developed from 1st Lvl and worked into the adventure / campaign as a hook.

I agree...any initiation into a PrC would be more of a role-playing hook...except for the few PrCs that you could gain on your own...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...maybe I should start thinking about such an article for Dragon Magazine...and maybe I should actually write that article as well.

Anyone wanna lend me a hand?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Hmmm...maybe I should start thinking about such an article for Dragon Magazine...and maybe I should actually write that article as well.

Anyone wanna lend me a hand?

I'd help out with ideas...the biggest question for the scale of the arcticle is what PrCs to include...pure Realms PrC's, adopt Core PrCs, etc.

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a marketing point of view, the core classes would be more suitable. Even if it didn't get accepted we could still use the info to be posted here... and even expand on it.

Plus the Red Wizard (strangely enough) is a core PrC.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a very good idea, heh. I'll help. :)

How about, while working on the Core Classes, we have small sections for each one explaining how to adapt the initiation ritual for the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From a marketing point of view, the core classes would be more suitable. Even if it didn't get accepted we could still use the info to be posted here... and even expand on it.

Plus the Red Wizard (strangely enough) is a core PrC.

thats true...maybe a handful of short descriptions of "self taught" PrCs and one or two larger PrCs...

and we stay away from the "Faerun spanning" organization PrCs..like the Harpers and the Red Wizards...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes two, problem is this:

should this thing come together we'd have to decide on a project leader, or lead designer if you will, mostly because a committee can discuss too much and don't achieve anything.

Also, if we just do this as a thinktank with one dedicated writer, we could toss ideas back and forth and pick the best.

I'll think on it some more

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That makes two, problem is this:

should this thing come together we'd have to decide on a project leader, or lead designer if you will, mostly because a committee can discuss too much and don't achieve anything.

Also, if we just do this as a thinktank with one dedicated writer, we could toss ideas back and forth and pick the best.

I'll think on it some more

all right...I have ideas, and experienced in organizing projects..but I'm no professional writer..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get paid writing, but I am told my prose is ok...

Would we include stats and such? If so we'd need someone to work that out cuz I am really new to 3.5, only 6 months into that system

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  15:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't get paid writing, but I am told my prose is ok...

Would we include stats and such? If so we'd need someone to work that out cuz I am really new to 3.5, only 6 months into that system

if we were elaborating on how someone "gets" a PrC (beyond the game mechanics) I wouldn't think so...maybe a new feat or two...some sort of "make you get the PrC earlier if you have a tutor" feat or "you can do it on your own" feat...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, let's take this to emails maybe... don't wanna spill our ideas here...those that wanna participate email me, I'll make a list...and a selection... I can be a Roddenberry

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yea, let's take this to emails maybe... don't wanna spill our ideas here...those that wanna participate email me, I'll make a list...and a selection... I can be a Roddenberry

Cool

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, anyone who wants to be in on this project, and who wants to submit to my Roddenberry-ish selection and tight-fistedness, mail me via the candlekeep mail thingy

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  19:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty...I changed the topic's name because Kalin and I have been starting on the brainstorming.

Anyone who wants to join this madness please e-mail me. I am not sure how many people should be cooking this soup, but the main goal is to get a workable initiation system/lore type of thingy running.

We'll pick the co-"authors" based on what we (so far) have seen by them in Candlekeep, or on the off-chance that Eric or Krash or any of the other designers wanna join in...well, you know, IF that happens you are more than welcome to!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  19:55:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just something to think about. If you are going to send these to Dragon, you should decide how you are going to divide the money that you are going to get paid for the article amongst yourselves. The people at Dragon will want to know this as well, since I researched that with them once because I was going to co-write an article but never did. If anyone wants the email they sent me about it, I have it still.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  22:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd appreciate that, Kuje.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  23:17:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd appreciate that, Kuje.

Thanks

Where can I send it to then. :) PM me a addy or send me a email with an addy and I'll forward it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Oct 2006 23:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  22:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears that only Kalin and I are on the team... which is fine with me, we'll keep you posted (maybe ;) )

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  00:15:50  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You still on this project?? or is it finished? If not I would like to help, just PM me if you want me onboard with this.

P.S
And in reguards to payment for article, I dont want anything for it.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  01:37:35  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't it give requirements for the core PRC's in the DMG II?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000