Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Kara-Tur and Maztica
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  15:02:42  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question. Currently are there any FR novels set in Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zakhara, or any other remote place on Toril?

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  15:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

I have a question. Currently are there any FR novels set in Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zakhara, or any other remote place on Toril?

The first book in the Empires Trilogy is in the Hordelands (which is kinda treated like a seperate sub-continent between Kara-Tur and Faerun), the second book in the Empires Trilogy is in Kara-Tur

The Maztica novel trilogy (can't remember the trilogy's name) is based of course in Maztica

There is no novel trilogy based in Zakhara

the novel "Faces of Deception" is roughly somewhere in the Hordelands/Kara-Tur

in the "Cloakmaster" series of novels (the Spelljammer novel series) there is a bit of Realms lore in that spelljamming port-island near Evermeet

hope that helps

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  15:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Maztica novel trilogy (can't remember the trilogy's name) is based of course in Maztica

Maztica Trilogy
Ironhelm
Viperhand
Feathered Dragon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:19:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no current FR novels featuring Kara-Tur, Maztica, or Zakhara. However, there have been past FR novels featuring stories set in both Kara-Tur and Maztica.

Empires Trilogy -- for Kara-Tur
- Horselords
- Dragonwall
- Crusade

Maztica Trilogy -- for Maztica
- Ironhelm
- Viperhand
- Feathered Dragon

As well, The Yellow Silk, a novel from the FIGHTERS series features a character from Kara-Tur (Shou Lung in fact) and offers bits and pieces of Kara-Turan lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Jul 2006 16:23:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:22:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Not entirely true.

While there is no specific FR series of novels based in Zakhara, the Al-Qadim line did allow for AQ novels taking place in the Land of Fate.

See nobleknight.com for copies of several of the AQ novels.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:37:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Not entirely true.

While there is no specific FR series of novels based in Zakhara, the Al-Qadim line did allow for AQ novels taking place in the Land of Fate.

There were Al-Qadim novels? I was unaware of that...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:45:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Not entirely true.

As was I. I never heard of any Al-Qadim novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

fitz
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:59:07  Show Profile  Visit fitz's Homepage Send fitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't, or I search during months to find nothing.

Links, links, links

I want proof
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  17:02:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not entirely true.

As was I. I never heard of any Al-Qadim novels.

They were the combat-game books -- part story, part game. Not proper novels:- Secret of the Djinn

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  18:06:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay, an Endless Quest novel. I used to love all of those variable-ending books: Choose Your Own Adventure, Fighting Fantasy, Endless Quest, Super Endless Quest... I've still got some of those books, that I hold on to for nostalgia. And, in fact, the first fantasy book I ever read was one of the Endless Quest books.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  18:42:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, okay, an Endless Quest novel. I used to love all of those variable-ending books: Choose Your Own Adventure, Fighting Fantasy, Endless Quest, Super Endless Quest... I've still got some of those books, that I hold on to for nostalgia. And, in fact, the first fantasy book I ever read was one of the Endless Quest books.

I miss my choose your own adventure books. :( I had some pretty good ones. But I don't think they were TSR ones.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Jul 2006 18:42:31
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  19:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was going to be another novel or novels set in Kara-Tur, starring Doin Sanehiro, who's written up as a 'major character' (i.e. lead novel character) in FR7 Hall of Heroes. I don't recall how close that project got to being written and published -- but Jim Lowder might.

Edited by - Faraer on 29 Jul 2006 19:23:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  21:46:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

There was going to be another novel or novels set in Kara-Tur, starring Doin Sanehiro, who's written up as a 'major character' (i.e. lead novel character) in FR7 Hall of Heroes. I don't recall how close that project got to being written and published -- but Jim Lowder might.

You know, I always wondered about those characters, and why we never saw them anywhere else...

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  23:10:46  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks for all your help everyone.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 29 Jul 2006 23:10:57
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  00:49:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You know, I always wondered about those characters, and why we never saw them anywhere else...

A few of them showed up as NPCs in Test of the Samurai and Ronin Challenge . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  02:32:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Choose Your Own Adventure" and "Fighting Fantasy" were among some of my favorite variable-ending books when I was a child. I only ever read a few of the "Endless Quest" books, including the Zakharan one.

As for proper brand-title AQ novels however... a novel line was discussed as I recall, similar in style to what was done with the RAVENLOFT books -- a seres of stand-alone novels.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Jul 2006 02:33:31
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  23:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah -- I always wondered what became of them too.

Sigh, remember when the problem with AD&D was that they were throwing out TOO MANY great ideas? Maztica and the kingdoms north of it, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000