Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Kara-Tur and Maztica

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FridayThe13th Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 15:02:42
I have a question. Currently are there any FR novels set in Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zakhara, or any other remote place on Toril?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ardashir Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 23:53:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

There was going to be another novel or novels set in Kara-Tur, starring Doin Sanehiro, who's written up as a 'major character' (i.e. lead novel character) in FR7 Hall of Heroes. I don't recall how close that project got to being written and published -- but Jim Lowder might.

You know, I always wondered about those characters, and why we never saw them anywhere else...

Yeah -- I always wondered what became of them too.

Sigh, remember when the problem with AD&D was that they were throwing out TOO MANY great ideas? Maztica and the kingdoms north of it, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur...
The Sage Posted - 30 Jul 2006 : 02:32:23
quote:

Oh, okay, an Endless Quest novel. I used to love all of those variable-ending books: Choose Your Own Adventure, Fighting Fantasy, Endless Quest, Super Endless Quest... I've still got some of those books, that I hold on to for nostalgia. And, in fact, the first fantasy book I ever read was one of the Endless Quest books.

"Choose Your Own Adventure" and "Fighting Fantasy" were among some of my favorite variable-ending books when I was a child. I only ever read a few of the "Endless Quest" books, including the Zakharan one.

As for proper brand-title AQ novels however... a novel line was discussed as I recall, similar in style to what was done with the RAVENLOFT books -- a seres of stand-alone novels.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 30 Jul 2006 : 00:49:50
quote:

quote:

There was going to be another novel or novels set in Kara-Tur, starring Doin Sanehiro, who's written up as a 'major character' (i.e. lead novel character) in FR7 Hall of Heroes. I don't recall how close that project got to being written and published -- but Jim Lowder might.

You know, I always wondered about those characters, and why we never saw them anywhere else...

A few of them showed up as NPCs in Test of the Samurai and Ronin Challenge . . .
FridayThe13th Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 23:10:46
Ok, thanks for all your help everyone.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 21:46:52
quote:

Faraer Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 19:22:45
Kuje Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 18:42:12
quote:

Oh, okay, an Endless Quest novel. I used to love all of those variable-ending books: Choose Your Own Adventure, Fighting Fantasy, Endless Quest, Super Endless Quest... I've still got some of those books, that I hold on to for nostalgia. And, in fact, the first fantasy book I ever read was one of the Endless Quest books.

I miss my choose your own adventure books. :( I had some pretty good ones. But I don't think they were TSR ones.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 18:06:45
The Sage Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 17:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

There is no novel trilogy based in Zakhara
Not entirely true.

While there is no specific FR series of novels based in Zakhara, the Al-Qadim line did allow for AQ novels taking place in the Land of Fate.

See nobleknight.com for copies of several of the AQ novels.

There were Al-Qadim novels? I was unaware of that...

As was I. I never heard of any Al-Qadim novels.

They were the combat-game books -- part story, part game. Not proper novels:- Secret of the Djinn
fitz Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 16:59:07
There isn't, or I search during months to find nothing.

Links, links, links

I want proof
Kuje Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 16:45:07
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not entirely true.

While there is no specific FR series of novels based in Zakhara, the Al-Qadim line did allow for AQ novels taking place in the Land of Fate.

As was I. I never heard of any Al-Qadim novels.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 16:37:46
quote:

quote:

Not entirely true.

The Sage Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 16:22:39
quote:

Not entirely true.

The Sage Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 16:19:33
There are no current FR novels featuring Kara-Tur, Maztica, or Zakhara. However, there have been past FR novels featuring stories set in both Kara-Tur and Maztica.

Empires Trilogy -- for Kara-Tur
- Horselords
- Dragonwall
- Crusade

Maztica Trilogy -- for Maztica
- Ironhelm
- Viperhand
- Feathered Dragon

As well, The Yellow Silk, a novel from the FIGHTERS series features a character from Kara-Tur (Shou Lung in fact) and offers bits and pieces of Kara-Turan lore.
Lameth Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 15:45:55
quote:

The Maztica novel trilogy (can't remember the trilogy's name) is based of course in Maztica

Maztica Trilogy
Ironhelm
Viperhand
Feathered Dragon
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 29 Jul 2006 : 15:11:52
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

I have a question. Currently are there any FR novels set in Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zakhara, or any other remote place on Toril?

The first book in the Empires Trilogy is in the Hordelands (which is kinda treated like a seperate sub-continent between Kara-Tur and Faerun), the second book in the Empires Trilogy is in Kara-Tur

The Maztica novel trilogy (can't remember the trilogy's name) is based of course in Maztica

the novel "Faces of Deception" is roughly somewhere in the Hordelands/Kara-Tur

in the "Cloakmaster" series of novels (the Spelljammer novel series) there is a bit of Realms lore in that spelljamming port-island near Evermeet

hope that helps

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000