Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Half-Ore? A Question.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  22:01:13  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met.

I just finished reading the Baldur's Gate novelisation, by Philip Athans, and something caught my interest. Something I had seen before.

Every time the word "Orc" (as in Half-Orc, for example) came up, it was spelled "Ore" instead. While the book was full of spelling errors (it hurted me inside when Gorion was "Gordon", and Torm was "Term"), I had seen this particular spelling before, in another book, and so, I started to wonder if it had anything to do with umm... copyrights, maybe (makes no sense, though)?

Does anyone know?

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  01:05:43  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually kind of like seeing a few mistakes, not a lot or anything, but don't mind a few typo's. Nobody's perfect!

For example: I'm reading the 2nd book of twilight giants trilogy and the word "The" was spelled 'hte'

Just the authors trying to keep us honest and possibly cause a few speed reader stumbles...or perhaps trying to keep the proof-readers in check!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  13:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

Just the authors trying to keep us honest and possibly cause a few speed reader stumbles...or perhaps trying to keep the proof-readers in check!

I doubt it. I doubt it very much.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  16:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they are more than likely mistakes. And yes, I've seen some mistakes that struck me as quite embarassing, like "[" instead of "l".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  16:53:24  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Yeah, they are more than likely mistakes. And yes, I've seen some mistakes that struck me as quite embarassing, like "[" instead of "l".

In my very first published short story, in a 1998 issue of Realms of Fantasy (which, now that I've pulled it out, I see contains a full page add for Evermeet--also, holy crap, it's been ten years?!?), my submission contained a line of dialogue that was meant to do double-duty as temporal scene setting and characterization.

Talking about the reason for an upcoming celebration in their rural Kentucky community, a boy says "Sesquicentennial. I heard Mr. Childers say it to the preacher. It's the same as a hundred and fifty."

Except that the published version reads, "It's the same as 150%"

Which I suppose characterizes the kid, but not the way I meant!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  18:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, that's odd.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  19:37:44  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:

I doubt it. I doubt it very much.

I was being sarcastic

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  23:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was being sarcastic

Ah, figures.

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  09:09:51  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input! I suppose it's just a common mistake (although a very sloppy one). I mean, the word "orc" does look almost the same as "ore". But then, you would have to be completly oblivious to what an "orc" is, or you wouldn't have made such a (continous) miss.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  12:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And even if you don't know what an orc is (but why then are you editing for WotC...?), "half-ore" is pretty nonsensical. I mean, what's a half-ore exactly?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  14:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since ore is a real word, a spellchecker won't catch it. Also, when a person proofreads, he sometimes sees what he knows is supposed to be there rather than what's really there. Also, if a book is on a tight schedule for some reason, the editing/proofreading process is sometimes rushed or streamlined.
So you can see how these kinds of mistakes happen. Which doesn't make them any less unfortunate.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  16:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it have been some weird 'dawizard'-style find/replace error?
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  22:08:16  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading book one of the Rage of the Dragons trilogy. Nearly every chapter heading was messed up. Stuff like

Chapter "ix

" =/= S, thank you. I was worried that they were going with lower case roman numerals for one chapter, but then I remembered the previous was eight. Seriously.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  04:46:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fave typo remains one of the ones in the 3E Player's Guide to Faerūn: the multiple listings for the month of Ukta!

...Though I was honestly very disappointed that this slipped thru. In Word, at least, it's easy to add words into the Spellcheck dictionary. I'd think something like that -- or any of a host of typos I've seen in 3E -- would be easily found by a simple spellcheck.

I also recall the first TSR typo I ever noted, in the book Stormblade: "Tyorl shurgged." I still like that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  06:02:48  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also noticed quite a few cases of "loosing a battle!" :P

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000