Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help with an Unapprocheable East Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  18:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes!

I´ll start in this saturday my campaign in the Unapprocheable East. It will be more centered in the Great Dale and Thesk, and I pretend develop some plots with the Circle of Leth. The campaign will start in 1372 DR, and have a druid (and member of the noble family of Uthmere) as a character, so, my question is:

- There is something good to me in the novel Lady of Poison?

And there is some other good resource of information about the East? I have, as reference, Unapprocheable East, Spellbound, Champions of Ruin/Valor (Impiltur and Narfell matters), Starligh and Shadows trilogy, and Frostburn.

Thanks in advance

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Fellow scribes!

I´ll start in this saturday my campaign in the Unapprocheable East. It will be more centered in the Great Dale and Thesk, and I pretend develop some plots with the Circle of Leth. The campaign will start in 1372 DR, and have a druid (and member of the noble family of Uthmere) as a character, so, my question is:

- There is something good to me in the novel Lady of Poison?

And there is some other good resource of information about the East? I have, as reference, Unapprocheable East, Spellbound, Champions of Ruin/Valor (Impiltur and Narfell matters), Starligh and Shadows trilogy, and Frostburn.

Thanks in advance

Yes, Lady of Poison is pretty good

Basically about a half-medusa priest of Lurue (sp?) and an "aboriginal" warrior from an unknown continent who battle with the Rotting Man...it covers the whole region you are playing in, and it's pretty cool on its own

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:03:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forgot the Dreams of the Red Wizards sourcebook. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:49:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the nine-part article on Uthmere by Ed on the Wizard's website:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

There's also the nine-part article on Uthmere by Ed on the Wizard's website:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

Yup! I have translated all the article and give it to the dalean characters as a handout.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:58:29  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*SPOILERS*

Lady of Poison involves three of the Blightlords, the Rotting Man, some members of the Circle of Leth including the Nentyarch, as well as locations and demons not revealed in the sourcebooks. Also it gives readers more description of the Mucklestone gates.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  21:33:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*SPOILERS*

Lady of Poison involves three of the Blightlords, the Rotting Man, some members of the Circle of Leth including the Nentyarch, as well as locations and demons not revealed in the sourcebooks. Also it gives readers more description of the Mucklestone gates.

Geeeeee!
One sole paragraph, and you made me make a request of this book. It will come to my hands in two weeks. Thanks

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 20 Jul 2006 21:33:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  21:50:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good resources for the east. If you're looking for history resources, I'd recommend the 2nd edition Bloodstone Lands. I'd also recommend the Rogue Dragon series of novels, as they're based in the area (though they happen in 1373 I believe). Then there's spellbound (2nd edition) and Dreams of the Red wizards (1st edition). If you were going further south in Thesk there's a ton more on the red wizards and Aglarond in various resources.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  00:57:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Good resources for the east. If you're looking for history resources, I'd recommend the 2nd edition Bloodstone Lands. I'd also recommend the Rogue Dragon series of novels, as they're based in the area (though they happen in 1373 I believe). Then there's spellbound (2nd edition) and Dreams of the Red wizards (1st edition). If you were going further south in Thesk there's a ton more on the red wizards and Aglarond in various resources.

The Last Mythal trilogy has some Aglarond info and the most detailed Yuirwood material I can recall.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  01:23:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've REALLY got to get working on my East Timeline and get it out to the masses.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  01:42:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well, Warriors & Priests of the Realms and Wizards & Rogues of the Realms for more lore on parts of the East.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  03:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've REALLY got to get working on my East Timeline and get it out to the masses.

-- George Krashos

So quit your job at Wolfram & Hart and get cracking!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks to all of you for the good feeback!
Some of these books that you point to me, I have (Dreams of the Red Wizards), some I can use for a friend (Warriors and Priests of the Realms and Wizards and Rogues of the Realms), and some I´ll need to buy (The Last Mythal trilogy - hmmmm, information about the Yuirwood, eh? Good.).

In this campaign, I pretend to escape of the temptation of use the Red Wizards too much as antagonists. Well... they are antagonists, of course, but I pretend to do something more centered in the Blightspawned (when in the wilds) and in the Telflammar Shadowlords (when in the cities); and develop and central focus in the old mysteries of Narfell and Raumathar.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:41:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

An... East... Timeline ?!? weeee

Dargoth, prepare the rack! And someone tell Lady Hooded One to catch the feathers!!! (yes, yes, this one is "Candlekeep old school", but still works. )

Jokes apart, this is something that I really want to take a look, George! As a lover of Timelines and history, I´ll wait eagerly to see this project of you!

And talking about timelines, I catch all the separate timelines of the nations of the East (that ones in the Unapprocheable East book), translated to my language, condensed in one sole timeline, include the important facts about the lifes of the characters, and give to them as a handout. They liked of it too much!

And, of course, I don´t included in this the events of the timeline of the east from the Lost Empires of Faerûn! You know, DMs sometimes want some drops of sweat in exchange for information!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  17:11:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Magic and Crimson Gold novels also take place in Thay. The Simbul's Gift novel might be useful as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  19:05:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure to check out the Malar write-up in Faiths & Avatars.

There's details on a town in the Great Dale (blanking on the name) not included in the town's write-up in Unapproachable East.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  19:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Make sure to check out the Malar write-up in Faiths & Avatars.

There's details on a town in the Great Dale (blanking on the name) not included in the town's write-up in Unapproachable East.

--Eric

Thanks, Eric. I will take a good look in Faiths & Avatars (always a good resource). And it´s interesting the hint that the info about this city is in the write-up of Malar. I think that the druid of the group will have too many headaches.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Red Magic and Crimson Gold novels also take place in Thay. The Simbul's Gift novel might be useful as well.

Thanks, Kuje! Hehehe. I think that, with all that Realmslore about the east, I have the tools to make this campaign memorable.

Oooh, and I almost forget the upcoming Twilight Tomb!! I think that I will pre-order this adventure, only for the direct potential of usability to me!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  21:20:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah,

Speaking of Red Magic, those chars are also stated in Heroes and Villian's Lorebooks. The wizard is further mentioned, briefly, in Spellbound.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  01:42:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Races of Faerun also for details on the mulan and rashemi -- two of the major human ethnic groups to inhabit Thay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  01:44:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Yes, Lady of Poison is pretty good

Basically about a half-medusa priest of Lurue (sp?) and an "aboriginal" warrior from an unknown continent who battle with the Rotting Man...it covers the whole region you are playing in, and it's pretty cool on its own

The aboriginal man is Gunggari. Aside from a few obvious examples in the book, I wouldn't say that Osse is a direct translation of, or heavily influenced by, Australian Aborigine culture -- Gunggari's mannerisms aside (as well as his dizheri), the supposed "ways" of the Osse people could very well be associated with many other examples of Polynesian tribal cultures.

We assume that Osse is one of the "unknown lands" marked on the world map on pg. 231 in the FRCS... likely the larger continent at the bottom SE of the map itself.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  13:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Oh yeah,

Speaking of Red Magic, those chars are also stated in Heroes and Villian's Lorebooks. The wizard is further mentioned, briefly, in Spellbound.

Oh, that´s good. Villain´s Lorebook is one of the old books that I like more.

Chosen of Moradin, remembering how good was the npc descriptions in the old times...

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 22 Jul 2006 13:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  13:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See Races of Faerun also for details on the mulan and rashemi -- two of the major human ethnic groups to inhabit Thay.

Yes! Races of Faerûn is a book that never stay more than 3 feet of my body, all the time. (One of my players is thinking that I´m trying to enchant the book, or something similar to this...)

quote:
]Originally posted by The Sage

The aboriginal man is Gunggari. Aside from a few obvious examples in the book, I wouldn't say that Osse is a direct translation of, or heavily influenced by, Australian Aborigine culture -- Gunggari's mannerisms aside (as well as his dizheri), the supposed "ways" of the Osse people could very well be associated with many other examples of Polynesian tribal cultures.

We assume that Osse is one of the "unknown lands" marked on the world map on pg. 231 in the FRCS... likely the larger continent at the bottom SE of the map itself.

Well, this can be a good thing... or no!
So I ask: How are your feelings about the book characters? I mean, a half-medusa, a deep imaskari and an "other continent" guy? There is something good, interesting, or motivating in the book to validate a group so uncomun, or they are together only by the will of the author?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  14:10:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>So I ask: How are your feelings about the book characters? I mean, a half-medusa, a deep >>imaskari and an "other continent" guy? There is something good, interesting, or motivating >>in the book to validate a group so uncomun, or they are together only by the will of the >>author?

My answer to this would be that, given the vast number of choices available to 3.5E characters, its only natural that the "classic" view of an adventuring party probably should change. I just can't envision any aasimar taking to a life as say... a commoner. Granted, Aasimar's are probably a small proportion of the populace (probably 1 in 50,000 or less?), but how many folk become adventurers (probably 1 in 5,000?). Granted, some Aasimar's might just become local constabulary figures (i.e. soldiers or law enforcement). Then you take into account the number of centaurs, minotaurs, half-ogres, half-orcs, tieflings, genasi, gnolls, hagspawn, drow, etc...... that turn to adventuring, and I'm betting half the adventuring parties out there are half strange.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I understand you point. But anyway, we still are in need of a motive for the union of a group of characters so diferent between themselves. It´s not that I don´t like of the many options at our grasp now, but sometimes I have a feeling that there are more taers/half-something/dusk mineral shining elves/feytouched/anything heroes out there than damarans, chondatans, shield dwarves, gnomes and halflings.

But, again, I don´t have nothing against the new options, I only want to know if there is a good explanation to the characters in Lady of Poison are acting together.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  15:56:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes! Races of Faerûn is a book that never stay more than 3 feet of my body, all the time. (One of my players is thinking that I´m trying to enchant the book, or something similar to this...)

That must make it difficult to shower... And I'm sure it's hard to explain on dates...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  16:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That must make it difficult to shower... And I'm sure it's hard to explain on dates...

I leave the book out of the bathroom (but it´s dificult to pass on the Will save to do this. )
And it not so dificult in the dates... but in the wedding ceremonies...

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  03:24:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are example stats for a Blightlord:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20031105a
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  17:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, RodOdom!
Now I have one more card to put on the sleeve!

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  21:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here are example stats for a Blightlord:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20031105a

Oooh, that's just evil. I'm so using that.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  01:34:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, this can be a good thing... or no!
Well, I've always assumed the term Osse is actually more of a joke, than a true Realmslore reference... but that's just me.

quote:
So I ask: How are your feelings about the book characters? I mean, a half-medusa, a deep imaskari and an "other continent" guy? There is something good, interesting, or motivating in the book to validate a group so uncomun, or they are together only by the will of the author?
I might swing on over to the Lady of Poison scroll in the FR Novel section on discuss this, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  15:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I might swing on over to the Lady of Poison scroll in the FR Novel section on discuss this, I think.

Good idea, Sage! I´ll move my inquiries to the proper forum.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000