Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help me with my map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  21:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to create a big map of the Dales region that I can mark on, in conjunction with my Dalelands timeline and gazetteer. Ideally I want to start with the bare geographical outlines, but they need to be accurate. What's the best way to go about this? I have the obvious resources, like the FRS1 map and the Interactive Atlas and Campaign Cartographer, and an A4 b&w printer.

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  23:11:11  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I'm not 100% sure what maps you have, but one possibilty would be to take the best one (poster-sized) and take it to a copy-shop type place and get it laminated. That way - you can write on it - and reference it for extended periods of time, while still being able to change things you have done, as well as protect the map for a long time.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks -- it's one of the things I considered, but the maps are boldly coloured (and with black-inked trees etc.) and I want more of a blank slate. I could also put the map in a clip frame and stick transparent pen-markable plastic over the glass or perspex, which would leave the map intact. What I could also do is buy a big piece of paper from an art shop and trace over the FRS1 map with a lightbox/light table. But where to get access to one? And what's the best way to colour in a light, even tone for the water areas?

Edited by - Faraer on 25 Jul 2006 23:38:35
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  02:27:28  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best blank dalelands map I found was in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands. It is a simple black and white map that simply labels the various dales. With some work with MSPaint I'm sure you could remove all the labels.

I turned that map into a color version that I think looks really nice. It isn't artwork, but it has nice coloring. Email me and I'll send you a copy.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  02:28:06  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that the Dalelands book I mentioned is on WOTC's website as a free download. So getting a screenshot of the map is easy.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  03:13:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Forgot to mention that the Dalelands book I mentioned is on WOTC's website as a free download. So getting a screenshot of the map is easy.

And that page is here: Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  08:54:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly and his link... just wonderful!

To the question:
If you want to format a map yourself you might want to use adobe photoshop. I scanned a lot of the original maps of my books and erased important sights and the like so the players won't get all too excited about special locales that they should not know about. Working with that programm is very simple and you can be sure that the quality of the document stays the same.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000