Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Semberholme/Aluiantl info
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  11:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'd imagine that this is probably poor form on my part (being a new poster and everything), but here goes nothing.

Having been out of the FR/D&D scene for more than a decade(!), I find myself gravitating back towards it once more. Now, the thing is that I'm looking to use an original FR character as a crossover element in a fanfic set in a relatively high-profile adventure/horror universe, and this character spent much of their career on Faerun defending/representing/questing from a shrine on the fringes of the West Starwoods, north of Semberholme. (In line with what I gather is a darker tone to the Realms these days, it's been a busy career - well-organised worg-riding goblins backed by 'unknown parties', Malar-worshipping lycanthropes, 'visits' from House Jaelre... basically, they're hanging on by their fingernails.) I've downloaded most of the free files from the Wizards website, but non-online info escapes me at the moment, and even if it didn't my cash funds are a little, erm, light right now. (Damn' taxes.... )

Can anyone furnish me with some general details about the elven city of Semberholme and any outlying communities on the shores of Lake Sember? I'm not greedy/stupid enough to ask for full re-pubs of canon material - just the city's approximate population ("'so many' elves, mainly 'such-and-such' sub-type" sort of thing) and general 'flavour' sorts of info. I would like to know for certain if a mythal was ever erected there - I can't seem to find that detail in either Fall of Myth Drannor or C:EotE; I'm leaning towards 'no', for some reason....

I'd also like a little background on the elven town of Aluiantl, as shown on the map in (the .pdf of) Cormanthyr: EotE. I presume that it's abandoned, either evacuated during the fall of Myth Drannor or as part of the Retreat, but can anyone tell me if anything more has been published/written about it, in published materials or even 'officially' here at Candlekeep? Similar to the Semberholme entry above, a quick sketch of what if anything is known the city's size, purpose and general flavour would probably be ample - I can fake it from there. ]

My Search-fu is proving really weak....

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  13:28:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can't find it in the Cormanthyr accessory it doesn't exist - in a canonical sense at least. This source is the only one I know of with information re Semberholme (and for c. 650 DR at that). No modern info exists to my knowledge.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  14:49:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, welcome to Candlekeep Trace_Coburn (hmmm... I seem to remember a Trace_Coburn on another message boards -- "Minnesota Federation forever" as I recall) .

Secondly, George is indeed correct with regard to viable sources on Semberholme. The only other source I can recall at this point is the very brief mention in the FRCS 2e.

Third, and finally, there are a number of sites on the web that provide various "unofficial" lore on the elven city. Perform a google and you're sure to find them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  10:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Firstly, welcome to Candlekeep Trace_Coburn (hmmm... I seem to remember a Trace_Coburn on another message boards -- "Minnesota Federation forever" as I recall) .

Aye, 'tis your 'humble' starfighter analyst come to visit. I'd've put up the 'bloody paw' as my avatar, only I was worried of looking like a Malarite.

quote:
Secondly, George is indeed correct with regard to viable sources on Semberholme. The only other source I can recall at this point is the very brief mention in the FRCS 2e.

Third, and finally, there are a number of sites on the web that provide various "unofficial" lore on the elven city. Perform a google and you're sure to find them.

Nothing at all? [blink] How peculiar.

Oh, well - another couple of furious exchanges with Google managed to wrestle some manner of compliance out of it, showing me to the Myth Drannor fan-site population breakdowns, which look to be as close as I'm likely to get. (I know that their maps are the only hit I get when looking for 'Aluiantl'. )

I'm certain you know that I can BS with the best of 'em, so I think that ought to do it on this topic. Thanks, guys.

Edit for spelling.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

Edited by - Trace_Coburn on 01 Mar 2006 10:37:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  11:21:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does that have anything to do with the Minnesota Tribe, or is it something totally different?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  11:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Does that have anything to do with the Minnesota Tribe, or is it something totally different?

Sort'a kind'a. In the previous Fan Councils game (3067) over on the CBT.org forums, the Minnesota Federation was 'my' nation, descended from the Tribe - itself the surviving remnant of the former Clan Wolverine, according to fanon (and the background my fellow faction chiefs and I gave to the GMs). I wrote much of the background myself, and I was quite proud of the result and the RP it inspired... until the game collapsed, and the MinFed was barred from the next game for being (extremely!) non-canon. [sigh]

Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted... and in my heart, at least, that culmination of McEvedy's dream will never die.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:48:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Give me the Rasalhague Dominion any day .

quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

Oh, well - another couple of furious exchanges with Google managed to wrestle some manner of compliance out of it, showing me to the Myth Drannor fan-site population breakdowns, which look to be as close as I'm likely to get. (I know that their maps are the only hit I get when looking for 'Aluiantl'.
That sounds about right. The last time I checked... there was also a Semberholme fansite dedicated to expanding upon the tidbits Steven Schend made available in C:EoE... but using my bookmarks just now revealed the site to be inactive.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Mar 2006 12:48:54
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could of course go and ask Ed of the Greenwood himself in the relevant thread, and, so long as NDAs don't get in the way, get some useful answers.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  00:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

You could of course go and ask Ed of the Greenwood himself in the relevant thread, and, so long as NDAs don't get in the way, get some useful answers.

I toyed with the idea earlier, but the whole "Too intimidated to speak to the Creator himself" factor kicked in. I'll run it past the Chamber of Sages a little later today.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  01:24:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, don't worry too much about the Old Bearded One... He's a great guy... It's The Hooded One you have to be on the lookout for .

-- What's that my lady... Yes, I'll remove the unconscious Wooly from your chamber. Yes, Lady Herald .

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Mar 2006 01:28:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:13:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I toyed with the idea earlier, but the whole "Too intimidated to speak to the Creator himself" factor kicked in. I'll run it past the Chamber of Sages a little later today.

Oh no. Ed just e-mailed me to say that of all the things he hates, questions about Semberholme are just about at the top of his list ...

Just razzing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Mar 2006 04:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If you can't find it in the Cormanthyr accessory it doesn't exist - in a canonical sense at least. This source is the only one I know of with information re Semberholme (and for c. 650 DR at that). No modern info exists to my knowledge.

-- George Krashos

Trace, if George doesn't remember having ever seen any references to it, it probably doesn't exist (The man is a walking FR database)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  01:16:39  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Sort'a kind'a. In the previous Fan Councils game (3067) over on the CBT.org forums, the Minnesota Federation was 'my' nation, descended from the Tribe - itself the surviving remnant of the former Clan Wolverine, according to fanon (and the background my fellow faction chiefs and I gave to the GMs). I wrote much of the background myself, and I was quite proud of the result and the RP it inspired... until the game collapsed, and the MinFed was barred from the next game for being (extremely!) non-canon. [sigh]

Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted... and in my heart, at least, that culmination of McEvedy's dream will never die.

Don't remind me. I'm still furious the Blakists blew up the Lucien Davion

Ironically, in canon, that's about the only big Warship the FS has left!

Ehhh, but that's CBT, this' Candlekeep, so back to your question.

There's a bakground mention of the Selmberholme elves in Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman, part of the Sembia series. It's by no means detailed but covers the green elves and the some of the relics of Cormanthyr. as well as the "minor spat" between Sembia and the Elves.

Edited by - BlackAce on 04 Mar 2006 01:19:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  23:26:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do recall some other, minor, bits of realmslore for Semberholme in the old FR7 Hall of Heroes accessory. The write-up of the KoMD notes Merith Strongbow's tutelage in the Art and warfare in Semberholme and provides a few names etc. Small stuff which may or may not be helpful.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000