Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Larloch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  10:13:49  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Over the years, there's been a slew of 'Who's the most Powerful' threads. And in almost everyone Larloch is mentioned. Now who would have ever guessed a genuine request for realmslore would come out of such a thread

Basically the sum total of my knowledge on him is that he was/is a lich, and in 2e there was a spell - Larloch's Minor Drain - that was named after him.

Anyone else know anything interesting about him?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  10:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

Over the years, there's been a slew of 'Who's the most Powerful' threads. And in almost everyone Larloch is mentioned. Now who would have ever guessed a genuine request for realmslore would come out of such a thread

Basically the sum total of my knowledge on him is that he was/is a lich, and in 2e there was a spell - Larloch's Minor Drain - that was named after him.

Anyone else know anything interesting about him?

Lords of Darkness and LEOF have abit more info on him

Also Ive got "Freedom of Realmslore request" with Ed regarding Larloch but he hasnt got back to me yet

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  11:31:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's been said that Ed uses Larloch as a 46th level mage... Here's a couple of bits of lore Ed has shared:

quote:
"I too would like to know what Larloch’s up to -- not because I think he’s planning to overthrow realms or reach out and slaughter me if I visit the Realms, but because his ‘slowly, softly, quietly’ intrigues and manipulations to steady gain more and more magic and knowledge about individuals in the Realms who have magic he hasn’t yet acquired (or are experimenting with new castings or magic item craftings) fascinates me. Whereas Elminster and the other Chosen are tirelessly disseminating magical lore in the service of Mystra, but trying to steer who gets what to avoid reckless tyrants blowing up the entire Realms, Larloch is the silent, patient sponge who long ago gained enough stuff to shatter Faerun, but just goes on quietly grabbing more.
No, I don’t think adventurers often get far enough to really pester him, given all the liches he can throw at them as defenders. I see him as viewing adventurers as the equivalent of television: a parade of entertainment laid on for his amusement, too much ‘the same’ from day to day to be really enthralling, but worth a glance and a laugh now and then."

quote:
Hello, all. As promised, Ed attempts a reply about Larloch to Elf_Friend and the various posters who’ve been sparring on the Realms-list about this same character:

Ah, yes, Larloch. You’ll get to see him (briefly) in my story in REALMS OF THE ELVES, and that appearance will show that as Faraer asked, he can be whimsical, and he knows both boredom and a personal code of honour.
It was never my intention to use Larloch to humble PCs (brute force doesn’t humble anyone - - only the ability to awe players does), but - - as with the gods - - he can of course be used that way.
It was my intention, as I was turning the Realms from a purely fictional setting to a 1978-version AD&D game setting, to make it as realistic as possible. One of the necessities in doing that, and in giving PCs challenges, is to have entities around (gods, demigods and divine servants, heads of churches, temporal rulers, established high-level adventurers, and so on) who are stronger than the PCs. This not only gives them future foes and “standards” to measure themselves against and aspire to surpassing, it makes the world seem ongoing rather than newly-created around the PCs as an artificial obstacle course.
Larloch is one of those VERY powerful NPCs. An undead who’s been chasing and accumulating power for so long that he’s beyond possibly being challenged by most (for example) human kings or even archmages. An entity who’s conquered and ruled kingdoms, both openly and through dupes, so often and for so long that he’s quite bored with doing so, and has moved on to manipulating and steering events for his own entertainment (somewhat in the same way that Elminster manipulates and steers, though for different ends). A being so powerful in magic must inevitably “come to an agreement” with at least Mystra and Azuth, and so his doings and ultimate fate are in some manner bound up with theirs: to destroy Mystra may be to doom or destroy Larloch.
As a storytelling and roleplaying DM, I’ve always been rather puzzled by players who see EVERYthing powerful as a target they MUST destroy (hence the constant demand for avatar statistics, and the constant cries of, “I MUST kill Elminster! I’ve gotta smash Larloch!” or gloating boasts of, “I did it! I tore Elminster apart in my campaign!”
Fine, if that turns your crank. But if that’s ALL that turns your crank, what are you going to do for kicks tomorrow?
You’ve just killed Elminster, and Larloch the day before, and you tore apart Szass Tam and Manshoon before that, and laid waste to Shade and Thay and personally ate the last Phaerimm the tenday previous . . . now what? Is that the only way you can enjoy D&D?
My players are living proof of how much satisfaction one can get by sparring with foes for (literally) years, and ending up in grudging mutual respect (with the PCs inwardly gleeful because they’ve manipulated the foe into doing something they wanted him to do without him realizing it . . . and so have demonstrated for themselves that they’ve moved beyond “my blade swung faster, and I drew more blood and so beat you” adventuring, into being truly worthy of significance in Faerûn, because they have now managed to accomplish things WITHOUT brute force.
To quote from my November 2004 reply on this same topic:

In the same way as too many PC dragonslayings depend upon the dragon being played as a dumb brute, it’s highly unlikely that any PC party will have the sheer power to take down Larloch - - and in any war of attrition against his many, many liches and modified powerful undead minions (forty blazing bones over here, a demi-lich over there, various hulking gigantic undead concoted of many battle dead yonder,deceptions galore ("That wasn't Larloch, that was your KING enspelled to look like Larloch! NOW you're in trouble!"), traps that release disease, poisoned this, poisoned that [like, ahem, the PCs’ drinking water] etc. etc.), a party of PCs would have to be stupid indeed not to figure out that destroying Larloch just isn’t worth the effort.
Like most gods in most situations, Larloch doesn’t NEED to stand and fight when it’s not to his advantage. Like gods, he doesn’t need to sleep, and most PCs do. So he’ll just have his minions harry them until they're stumbling-exhausted, and then throw MORE minions at them. Larloch isn’t insane or stupid enough to need to show up in person to gloat; subtly controlling things from afar is what he DOES, and enjoys. So PCs can expect to find themselves attacked by civil authorities in whatever realm they’re in, and then brigands, and then a few guilds, never being allowed to sleep without yet another undead attack - - and even zombies and skeletons can wear you down when they come in waves, dozens daily, for day after night after month.
And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar.
Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?”

And as my lovely Lady Hooded added at that time:

I take the view that if a DM tells you that a city your PCs are visiting is surrounded by a ring of hills, it requires a lot of PC insanity to try to destroy the hills “just because they’re there.” Consider Larloch a hill, part of the furniture of the Realms Ed has presented to you, not a target. Sounds like the very worst sort of power-gaming to me, and although we all need an outlet to just SMASH something once in a while, I’d hesitate to call this approach “roleplaying.”

However, to deal specifically with some of the queries raised about Larloch here and on the Realms-list (and if a Candlekeep scribe would be kind enough to repost this entire reply over there, I’d be grateful): I have NEVER postulated Larloch as a being who “cannot be destroyed.” I have suggested that PC attempts to down him reveal stooge-lich after stooge-lich (so that a PC who wants to talk to Larloch and manages to pique his curiosity enough to get an audience could indeed chat, and if they entertained Larloch enough could gain courteous, useful answers from him - - though to a good DM this would be a great chance to roleplay a “difficult” conversation that leaves the PCs involved quaking in their boots, throughout - - but a PC who thought they could dupe Larloch into a party ambush by trying to talk with him would discover that they’d destroyed not the real Larloch, but merely one of his many, many servitor liches, whom he was speaking through).
Of course any DM can do anything he or she wants in their own Realms campaign. If taking out Larloch entertains your players and they attempt it, fine. I’ve created an undead that should (like the old Rod of Seven Parts) give them several stages of victories and hard fights before they truly emerge victorious.
What I HAVE done from the beginning is strongly suggest that any DM trying to be “true to the Realms” show PCs the consequences of everything they do. If you try to take out Larloch, this is what else will happen: here’s whom (and what) he keeps in check, or how many liches have now been freed to race all over Faerûn trying to do what they for so long have been prevented from doing . . . and so on. “The interconnectedness of all things” holds sway in the Realms as it does in our real world. If you want to take out Larloch, do you really understand what you’re setting in motion? Are all the unfolding consequences what you really want to have happen?
Any DM is free to alter the Realms as they see fit before players unleash their characters into it, and is also free to let the players topple as many powerful Realms NPCs as they want to. The farther you get from the published Realms, the more ongoing adaptation work a DM is letting himself in for, but doing so isn’t going to upset me. If someone gloatingly tells me at a convention that their character killed Elminster and ate him or bedded all of the Seven Sisters at once and then killed them it’s not going to upset me. (Thought it is, as several gamers have discovered, going to make me puzzled enough to ask them WHY they did such things.)
As Faraer correctly pointed out here (back in November 2004): “The Realms has always worked on the principle that NPCs can do whatever the DM needs them to do, not what the books say, this being a storytelling game rather than a referencing game.” So DMs should feel free to change NPCs to their hearts’ content.
As for Elf_Friend’s question about Larloch’s rivals, this just makes me sigh. The problem with gamers wanting to take down powerful NPCs (and published Realms sourcebooks providing ultra-detailed stats for said NPCs) is that too often the Hammer Problem arises (the old saying: “To a man with a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.”). We all rush past trying to understand the aims, motives, and essential character of an NPC to get to the crunch details of how we can best him in combat.
Let’s look at Elf_Friend’s multipart question in detail (and please note, Elf_Friend, that these are perfectly legitimate queries that don’t upset me in the slightest; glad you asked):
“I’m wanting your thoughts regarding who his rivals are that might still be alive, or undead.”
Answer: I’m not sure Larloch has any direct rivals. For centuries he’s worked at “fading away behind the scenes,” so only legend tells us he’s still around, or what he might be up to. Is he trying to attain godhood? Immortality? Freedom from the machinations of gods? Some mysterious magical goal or goals?
A DM must decide such things in order to conclude whether or not Larloch has any rivals. If you mean: beings of roughly the same power, who COULD be worthy opponents if they came into conflict with Larloch, then all sorts of possibilities arise, from Hesperdan and Iyraclea to Shaaan and dozens more not yet given prominence in the published Realms, to say nothing of the more obvious Khelben, The Simbul, and so on. The DM had better decide what all of them want, and are striving for, too.

Back to Elf_Friend: “To what expense would he spare to get rid of them [the rivals] and/or get them under his control?”
Again, this presupposes that Larloch is a sort of gunslinger with spells, ready to blast or control any adversary that challenges him. He isn’t. Neither are Szass Tam, Manshoon, or Elminster. Proof? Well, if any of them were, most of Faerûn would be hill after plateau after mountain range of blackened, blasted, smouldering ash, not bustling, vigorous kingdoms.
Larloch delights in gaining new magic, developing or creating new magic, and in manipulating mortals (on whims, for his own entertainment and occasionally to reassure himself that he CAN still manipulate them with such skill) without them noticing, without any onlooker seeing his hand at work, and so on. So like Elminster, he doesn’t want to “get them under his control,” but he DOES want to be able to manipulate them at will, into doing the things he wants, without all the bother of ruling them or showing up to give them orders and threaten or bribe or cajole them: that’s the sort of crass stuff he did centuries ago, and has outgrown. Why get rid of a potential rival when the rival’s very power makes him useful to you? As a weapon or tool you can use to shape someone else? Or have that someone else destroy for you, while you sit and watch the fun (a la the Addams Family, and their model trains sent into headlong trainwrecks) you’ve brought about by your own deft manipulations? (“So she hates him, and he hates her? Let’s see if I can have them bedding each other within a tenday, and married before month-end, in a union that will last for decades!”)

Back to Elf_Friend again: “What could a high level character do for him to sit up and take notice?”
Ahem: any adventurer who’s reached “high level” has ALREADY come to Larloch’s notice, and is being watched (from time to time) by Larloch’s spies (most of whom, if they’re not undead, are unwitting spies). Any expressed desire to contact Larloch, best or destroy Larloch, or work with Larloch will cause him to notice. Please note, from all I’ve said above: “notice” does NOT mean send legions of undead to destroy the ‘impudent’ PC, or show up personally in a rage to destroy said PC and thereby step into the players’ elaborately-arranged trap. It means Larloch watches the PC more closely, and tries to manipulate them in small, subtle ways to see what happens.
And THAT preceding sentence of mine should give a good DM gleeful fun to fill years of rich Realms-campaign roleplaying.

So saith Ed. Who wants to reiterate that none of this online discussion upsets him, but does want some things set straight before readers entirely get the wrong ideas about Ed’s own intentions and views.
Always remember, folks, that Ed created the Realms first and foremost for himself, before there even was a D&D game.
As he told Gary Gygax once: “Well, it seemed a lot more fun than relabelling the squares around the board on a MONOPOLY game, and even more fun than drawing a fantasy map for DIPLOMACY that had more fords and inland seas and fiddly bits.”
So there you have it (she said, bracing herself for the flood of responses). Guess this torpedoes my “Larloch In Love” novel proposal . . .
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  17:38:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there's more about Larloch in my So Saith Ed files then just what Wooly posted. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  17:48:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are actual stats for Larloch on page 161 of the 3E Lords of Darkness set... however, if you're going to send your players against him I'd recommend those be a guideline. Also, make note that he has layers upon layers of servitor liches and undead. I wouldn't recommend PC's facing off against him.
I have played around with an idea for using him in a game however. My idea revolved around the god Mellifleur, lord of liches. Mellifleur had to take an avatar during the ToT. You never hear anything of it... but it made sense that Mellifleur tried to seize Larloch as his host. Larloch was initially unprepared for this and was forced into the role. However, he managed to recover use of his body somehow and Mellifleur took as an avatar one of Larloch's servitor liches. There was a nasty upheaval involving planar gates, hurled magics, and general destruction. It all culminated with Larloch entrapping Mellifleur in his own phylactery and hurling it into an old Imaskari ruins that he thought noone would ever bother with (until such time as he could find a way to destroy the god).
Anyway, the idea was that the players knew about none of this, and they get contacted by Larloch to "hunt down some rogue liches who were recently unleashed from a tomb". These are actually liches that got freed from Larloch's control during the conflict with Mellifleur and fled into the world. Larloch gives the players an item to nullify their phylacteries (actually, it puts them back under Larloch's control). Ultimately, they somehow end up finding out that they've been helping Larloch, but by then its too late... in doing so they've done a good deed... just that good deed has a very black lining, which they must then try to counter. Would they ultimately face Larloch, probably not, but they would want to destroy his artifact that lets him control that particular set of liches.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Ed mentions that he likes the idea of PCs being aware of the consequences of destroying Larloch and unleashing all the things his presence keeps in check... But I haven't been able to discern what exactly it is that Larloch does keep in check... From everything I've read he just hides behind the scences and is a big magic sponge (and occasional handy plot device)... If he tries his darndest to be unknown, what does his presence actually inhibit??... Perhaps he wages some sort of long-term shadow war against the other "biggies" - "Hesperdan and Iyraclea to Shaaan and dozens more not yet given prominence in the published Realms, to say nothing of the more obvious Khelben, The Simbul, and so on."... Or is it something else?... Has there been anything definitive, or is it one of those nebulous things that nobody wants to pin down in order to maintain the power of mystery?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  01:44:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El Magnifico Uno, a freelancer asked Ed very much the question you've just posed, privately, via me, and Ed gave reply:

Sorry. NDA. BIG NDA. So can't answer. Yet.

So saith Ed. I agree it would lovely to know, but, then again, once the mystery's gone . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  13:23:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaaan? Hesperdan? Iyraclea? Who are they? I think I heard of Hesperdan before but I am not sure.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  14:14:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that some PCS would be drawn to destroying Larloch, but as a GM, you should put the fear of the Gods in them for doing such. If Ed does have him as some such 46th level character - 2e or 3e, that is one bad mamma jamma... And even if those players are on the spree of killing Chosen and other said powerful dudes and dudettes, I think Larloch should be put in another category all together.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  17:22:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I know that some PCS would be drawn to destroying Larloch, but as a GM, you should put the fear of the Gods in them for doing such. If Ed does have him as some such 46th level character - 2e or 3e, that is one bad mamma jamma... And even if those players are on the spree of killing Chosen and other said powerful dudes and dudettes, I think Larloch should be put in another category all together.

C-Fb

At least one of the old 1E supplements said that if your PCs decided to go after prominent NPCs, then raise the NPC's level(s) to 10 levels higher than the highest PC's level.

Besides, Larloch is served by 60 liches... One lich is bad enough. 60? Even if I was a Chosen of Mystra, I'd be very, very careful about doing the tango with Larloch.

Heck, I'd give Larloch good odds against Velsharoon.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Heck, I'd give Larloch good odds against Velsharoon.

But then, you have to admit that Velsharoon is a wimp if you go by the power level of lesser gods as delivered in F&P :)

And I still cant get over the fact that WotC made Larloch so low-epic-level...

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize that you find all types of people playing these games. It's actually one of the things that make me want to keep playing. The different personality types make it interesting almost every time. This being said, I still can't figure out why it is that people would want to go up against someone like Larloch. I get excited to live to be sixth level most times. We've all done silly things in games and taken on things or monsters we had no business taking on and we've all gotten lucky, but it goes beyond luck to want to think about going aginst any 46 level character; NPC or not. Maybe it's just the newbie in me. I appreciate Ed being willing to let us know his views on the matter. As I gain more experience as a gamer, I look forward to running campaigns of my own. This kind of info is really helpful.

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play characters ranging from level 1 to level 24.

And not even our level 24 group of archmages would carelessly try to make an enemy out of another archmage.
The FUN part is - neither would an NPC archmage want to carelessly make an enemy out of US :)

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:50:19  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies folks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. And massive thanks for the references to the source materials, I'll see if I can't get my grubby paws on some of them.

Larloch might just make an appearance for me in my most interesting character thread. Sounds like a fascinating entity

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  19:54:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget this link as well.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-larloch.htm

He was also stated in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Oct 2005 19:55:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  22:55:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Belthor

I realize that you find all types of people playing these games. It's actually one of the things that make me want to keep playing. The different personality types make it interesting almost every time. This being said, I still can't figure out why it is that people would want to go up against someone like Larloch. I get excited to live to be sixth level most times. We've all done silly things in games and taken on things or monsters we had no business taking on and we've all gotten lucky, but it goes beyond luck to want to think about going aginst any 46 level character; NPC or not. Maybe it's just the newbie in me. I appreciate Ed being willing to let us know his views on the matter. As I gain more experience as a gamer, I look forward to running campaigns of my own. This kind of info is really helpful.

I fully concur. Larloch has been described as something akin to a force of nature. That's how I'd handle him.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  07:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was confused with how he was portrayed in eds realms of the elves story. he seemed to be controlling the liches... and btw why did that all happen why was there suddenly a big fight in thsi weird demiplanesque place? (btw i think thats a first for that word haha) then larloch after openly displaying his scrying palm thing... denies controlling the liches... was this a blatant lie? or what
why did he go over to apalogize to those realms makers? (el etc)
i was just so confused in general with his portrayal in the story that i dont know what to think... anyway i see larloch as eventually turning into a vecna type legend.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  15:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

Hum this thread is down right inspirational. I think ill include a team of undead adventurers that work for Larloch collecting lost magic items and Arcane lore in my realms some day. Four hi level undead NPCs you could just drop into any dungeon you choose, as long as there is some rare or powerful magic item Larloch might want in the dungeon. Certainly not anywhere as subtle as some of Larloches other methods but perhaps he occasionally uses the direct approach. The PCs might not ever discover were the undead adventure team came from but what fun this group could be, Libras Mortise is just the ticked here.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  23:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch is kind of against Mystra and Azunth isn't he? I mean, he litteraly hoards magic and keeps it all for him self, which goes against Mystra.

I've always thought there has had to of been some sort of agree ment between Mystra and/or Azunth with Larloch, the powers that he has must be kept under check, so he has to be in some sort of forced-agreement to allow him to continue to create spells, hoard magic, etc. while not killing Faerun...

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  04:10:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a past bit from Ed, in reference to Larloch:

quote:
Mystra (Midnight's predecessor as the goddess) is said to have allowed Larloch to acquire powers approaching those of "old Netheril" in return for 'leaking' spells to persistent adventurers he or his minions might come into contact with, but this may be no more than rumour spread by the Zhents or Red Wizards or Dragon Cultists, designed to lure adventurers into Larloch-weakening forays...

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  14:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

Larloch is kind of against Mystra and Azunth isn't he? I mean, he litteraly hoards magic and keeps it all for him self, which goes against Mystra.

I've always thought there has had to of been some sort of agree ment between Mystra and/or Azunth with Larloch, the powers that he has must be kept under check, so he has to be in some sort of forced-agreement to allow him to continue to create spells, hoard magic, etc. while not killing Faerun...

on a couple of different threads here at candlekeep larloch has been portrayed as respectful to mystra and her weave. This is mostly because he is so tied to the weave. while he is evil, he does want to protect the weave for he has spent milennia hoarding and culminating its power. Larloch sends copies of his histories of netheril to candlkeep and this act detailed in LEoF shows how he can function and interact with nonevil organizations etc without violence etc. He also has no desire to 'kill faerun'. he has ruled kingdoms and held power for longer than most ever dream to. But now he is bored with all that and only seeks to increase his understanding of the art. Also see his behavior is Ed's Realms of the Elves story for more evidence of more peaceful interaction

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000