Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Few Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Biigfoot
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  07:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Biigfoot's Homepage Send Biigfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm Pretty New Here,and wanted to know some stuff:
What FR Novels are really good to read?(For the Plot,and for the Info on FR,I don't know much,having read just some Drizzt Ones :) )
In FR Campaigns(I know its us to the DM but still)Should resurection and miracles be really rare?
When you see the spells,It looks like anything can be done,but in The Two Swords(Ra salvatore)A Dwarf gets his spine severed and no one can heal him,I'm a bit confused ^^.

And basically,when you don't know much at all about the FR,what should I Read?

Also,Just wandering:
-What Class is Dervish?In what book are the rules?

-Improved combat style, movement mastery, slashing blades,Twin Sword Style,Greater Two Weapon Fighting..
What are all these Feats,where do they come from?

-What is in the Powers of Faerun,Players Handbook:Faerun book?

-What special rule would represent the fact that swords like charron's claw and Kazid'hea cut threw anything?

Thanks to anybody who'll answer ^^

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  08:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
-What Class is Dervish?In what book are the rules?

It's a prestige class from Complete Warrior.

quote:
-Improved combat style, movement mastery, slashing blades,

As far as I know, these feats don't exist.
quote:
Twin Sword Style

Player's Guide to Faerun,
quote:
Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Player's Handbook.

quote:

-What is in the Powers of Faerun,

We don't know yet, as the supplement has yet to be released.
quote:
Players Handbook:Faerun book?

There is no such supplement. If you're referring to the Player's Guide to Faerun, that's a supplement updating the 3.0 Realms content to 3.5, with some additional small tidbits. The Player's Handbook is the first and most fundamental of the three core rulebooks of the game.

quote:

-What special rule would represent the fact that swords like charron's claw and Kazid'hea cut threw anything?

Been awhile since I looked up weapon special abilities; I don't know if there's a quality that does this, but it would ignore the hardness of objects.
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  08:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

The Icewind Dale books are an excellent starting realms read, Improved combat style I think is what you are looking for it is called a weapons style feat see complete warrior PG 113 Crescent moon feat. See also two weapon defense and for movement mastery which I do not believe exists (you might try the miniatures hand book for this) try run PHB or cheetahs speed CD pg 79.
Go to Top of Page

Biigfoot
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  09:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Biigfoot's Homepage Send Biigfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try run PHB or cheetahs speed CD pg 79.

What's that?

And In Races of Faerun,is there anything really worth it?

Edited by - Biigfoot on 03 Mar 2006 09:46:43
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  10:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Improved combat style, movement mastery, slashing blades

Isn't Improved Combat Style a Ranger class ability, the one that improves the Combat Style you gain at 2nd level? - check the PHB

Slashing Blades is a Dervish class ability that lets you use a scimitar in your off-hand as if it's a light weapon. That's in Complete Warrior.

Movement MAstery might be a class ability for the Thief-Acrobat prestige class in Complete Adventurer, or possibly for one of the other prestige classes in that book.

quote:
try run PHB or cheetahs speed CD pg 79.

CD is Complete Divine.

Races of Faerun has information on lots of different sub-races and playable races in Faerun, and is one of the books I'd put in my second tier of usefulness - not an absolute necessity but very useful.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  11:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again, Biigfoot! Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Myself, I love Races of Faerūn, and I'd readily recommend it to anyone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Biigfoot
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  13:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Biigfoot's Homepage Send Biigfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all!
I'll Start Getting money for all that ^^
I just got The 3 Basic books,what else is usefull?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Biigfoot

Thanks for all!
I'll Start Getting money for all that ^^
I just got The 3 Basic books,what else is usefull?

If you want to read some good novels, head over to the Novel forum and see what people recommend. Personally, I say try out Spellfire, by Ed Greenwood, but there are so many good novels it's hard to list them all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:56:20  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For realms lore, teh various source books help. their are free pdf downloads at the wotc site to get you started, if you don't have them yet. As far a novels go I also concur on Spellfire, but also the Harpers novels. it is a set of 16 books about various areas of the realms and different characters.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  15:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Movement MAstery might be a class ability for the Thief-Acrobat prestige class in Complete Adventurer, or possibly for one of the other prestige classes in that book.

I could be wrong, but I think Dervish gives this ability -- a bonus on certain movement-related skills. I don't have my library at work.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  15:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For realms lore you can try out the Avatar trilogy and sequels. That has quite a bit of traveling through the realms in it. Other than that most novels are, for the most part, limited to specific areas in the realms. So if you have a more specific area of interest feel free to ask the scribes here, they are always helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  17:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

For realms lore, teh various source books help. their are free pdf downloads at the wotc site to get you started, if you don't have them yet.

And those free downloads can be found on the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  02:53:50  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for providing the link, I did not quite have enough of my morning coffee yet when I posted this morning
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  04:38:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

thanks for providing the link, I did not quite have enough of my morning coffee yet when I posted this morning

No worries -- it's my most frequently posted link!

Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  05:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Biigfoot,
I recommend the Moonshae trilogys by Douglas Nile.
It a story of a God of Evil taking over the Moonshaes. I won't spoil it for you I just highly recommend it.
Storm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  06:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

I could be wrong, but I think Dervish gives this ability -- a bonus on certain movement-related skills. I don't have my library at work.

Cheers

Correct.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  15:06:08  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the issues of info have mostly been covered, but as for resurrection and regeneration, there may be some conflicting things.
My sense with most of Bob Salvatore's Drizzt books (not necessarily with the Entreri/Jarlaxle or Cadderly series) is that they are somewhat low in magic. Out of the main characters, none are really magic users. It's quite likely that no one in Mithral Hall could even cast a spell that would regenerate a spine. As for raising the dead, that might be possible, but many people don't want to be raised. We see it more frequently in the books with very powerful characters in them. A lot of this has to do with who is writing any given novel. (If you kill characters, you might not want to just be able to easily resurrect them. That takes away some of the drama and feeling of the death).
In games, however, I'm sure people get raised just as frequently in FR as they do in any other setting. I've never been raised or raised anyone myself when playing the game, but I have no doubt that many others have.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000