Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 The Wizards Three Returns to Dragon!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  02:59:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
According to Erik Mona in Dragon Magazine 340, the Dragon Magazine 30th Anniversary issue (the June issue, #344), will feature the return of the Wizards Three! For anyone that isn't familiar with the article series, it ran in Dragon in the nineties and featured Elminster, Dalamar (from the DragonLance setting), and Mordenkainen (from Greyhawk), sharing stories and exchanging spells and magic (the stats for which showed up at the end of the article). The articles were written by none other than Ed of the Greenwood.

This is great news, and of course, it makes me wonder if Ed is indeed the chronicler of this momentous event.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  05:40:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I wonder how Dalamar is going to fit into all of this -- given the somewhat more recent occurences in DL regarding his position among the WoHS.

This is stellar news though! And if Ed is indeed the grand weaver of these tales once again... Well, I have an extra reason to race to my local hobby store to purchase each DRAGON issue the articles will be featured in .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  05:44:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering that as well . . . the DragonLance timeline has shot way ahead of FR's in terms of how much time has passed. I do remember that Ed was always pretty exacting about what point in all of the settings history the given article occured in. Perhaps Krynn will be "unhinged" from the timeline, allowing for such a meeting . . . or perhaps there will be a different wizard, from a different, third world?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  06:13:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curiously... the alternate timelines in the Legends of the Twins sourcebook could provide some insights about Krynn being "unhinged" from the timeline. I'll take a look...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  06:38:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, just because DL has whizzed along in the timeline doesn't mean that the other gameworlds should follow suit. The appearance by Dalamar (if he appears) will simply have occurred in DL's past is all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  08:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, just because DL has whizzed along in the timeline doesn't mean that the other gameworlds should follow suit. The appearance by Dalamar (if he appears) will simply have occurred in DL's past is all.

-- George Krashos

True... and Dalamar does have a "history" of popping in and out of alternate timestreams.

Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  11:15:39  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or will Dragon simply replace Dalamar by an Eberronesque Wizard?

That would not be to exclude...

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Acolyte

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  11:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it confirmed that M, E and D are the three then? Or maybe there will be an Eberron Mage added to the mix, that is something I'd really like to see (and that would utterly dismay the fantasy purists I have no doubt).

If my sources are correct this series started in #185 and was continued in #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242 and #246. Did I miss any #?

EDIT: Bocklin beat me to it.

It's good to be king

Edited by - Vvornth on 19 Jan 2006 11:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  12:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Or will Dragon simply replace Dalamar by an Eberronesque Wizard?

That would not be to exclude...

Bocklin

Who, though? There's no one iconic enough in Eberron-maybe Mordain the Fleshweaver(page 167 of the ECS) or Vol, but that's about it...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  12:54:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If my sources are correct this series started in #185 and was continued in #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242 and #246. Did I miss any #?
No, they're all of them -- 185 188 196 200 211 219 238 242 246.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jan 2006 12:55:33
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  02:08:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention, I thought the reason that Eberron is a trillion times better than Faerun (or so say the more rabid fans and the marketing execs) is that they don't have powerful forces for good or neutrality NPCs, only villains. (Once again, the standard disclaimer: the above was directed at the marketing folk that think our old hidebound setting will never attract youngsters, and the band wagoners that post at Paizo with the mistaken impression that Drizzt and Elminster are meant to join your party as an NPC).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  03:44:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm: yes, Ed has written this article (at Erik's request), and turned it in. Those who recall the later instalments in the saga know that Dalamar disappeared, and a female apprentice of Mordenkainen, who was going to search for him, ended up being the third mage at the get-togethers. So she is in this one, which features the usual banter, depletion of Ed's viands and drinkables, and new spells.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  07:00:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What!? No visit from Larloch? Hesperdan? The Mage Who Shall Not Be Named? Uncle Weirdbeard is losing his touch ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  17:34:20  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Just to confirm: yes, Ed has written this article (at Erik's request), and turned it in. Those who recall the later instalments in the saga know that Dalamar disappeared, and a female apprentice of Mordenkainen, who was going to search for him, ended up being the third mage at the get-togethers. So she is in this one, which features the usual banter, depletion of Ed's viands and drinkables, and new spells.
love to all,
THO

Yes! My age old question to Ed has been solved...by Ed!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  20:07:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked on our fellow scribes excellent "Temporal Chronology of the Primes" and to catch up with Dalamar, i.e. not meeting up with him while his is sulking in the missing Tower of Palanthas surrounded by the souls of the dead, while Dalamar would actually be interested in trading spells and the like, would take us to the year 1431 DR, which is 57 years from the current date in the Realms.

This is, of course, assuming that they are still Temporally Parallel, after Takhisis' little trick.

Ironically, someone on the DragonLance boards groused at my defense of the Forgotten Realms by saying that the setting leaped too far ahead in time when 3rd edition came out (if I'm not mistaken, Cloak and Dagger is current in 1370 DR, and 1373 DR is where the 3rd Edition FRCS . . . a three year jump).

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  20:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

(if I'm not mistaken, Cloak and Dagger is current in 1370 DR, and 1373 DR is where the 3rd Edition FRCS . . . a three year jump).

Minor Nitpick

Forgotten Realms campaign setting is actually Midsummer (Shield meet) 1372 actually. The first 1373 sourcebook updates were in Players Guide to Faerun
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  20:19:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand chastised . . . and being chastised by a Banite is never a good thing! (Sorry about that CoB)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  23:03:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being chastised by a Banite is indeed a bad thing, however, if you look at it from the bright side - it could've been a Loviatran

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  00:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to chastise, just trying to ensure accuracy in the Halls of Candlekeep.

Think of it like when Oghma worked against the creation of the Cyrinishad.
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  12:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES!!! These were not only the best articles in the magazine's history, they, and Volo's Dragons of the North series, were really the only reason I stuck with Dragon during the 'lean years'. So seeing it come back (hopefully as a long-term series? PLEASE? [Yes, Erik, that was DIRECTLY TO YOU! ;-)]) makes me a VERY happy mage!

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  11:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the old articles in Dragon, but I read the short snippet in the Seven Sisters module for 2nd ed.
DragonLance was the first AD&D world that I really grew fond of, and as such I naturally read a lot. What disturbed me was Ed saying that Dalamar had black skin a la drow, which, nitpicker that I am, is wrong... terribly wrong.
Dunni if it ever came up in any of those other articles, but I think when Ed saw Dalamar being described as a Dark Elf he assumed Drow. Krynn doesn't have any Drow, aside from the mention of a crashed Spelljammer in "Wild Elves" (I think it was). Dark Elves on Krynn are elves who had turned to evil.
Sorry that point really annoyed me in "Seven Sisters"

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  13:54:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Krynn doesn't have any Drow, aside from the mention of a crashed Spelljammer in "Wild Elves" (I think it was). Dark Elves on Krynn are elves who had turned to evil.
Sorry that point really annoyed me in "Seven Sisters"

Dragonlance has never had drow, or at least in the D-series sense, and leaving out Wild Elves which was a somewhat clumsy attempt to introduce them to the setting. Drow was synonymous, however, with evil elf in 1st edition AD&D, hence the reference in CHRONICLES, and it has been stated repeatedly over the years since that its inclusion in the book was merely a symptom of the world not being completely settled when Dragons of Autumn Twilight was written, not because race of subterranean black-skinned white-haired evil elves existed or had ever existed in the setting's continuity.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  14:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit it has been ages since I read the Chronicles, but I think Dalamar only appeared in Legends and it was deliberately stated that he was Silvanesti and they dubbed him Dark Elf

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  14:54:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That wasn’t Ed’s mistake, Mace, it was an editorial rewrite mistake. And once established, it was decided (not by Ed) that it was now “reality” for the Wizards Three articles, and should be adhered to in later articles.
This entire series was written at editorial request, as a way of representing all three TSR campaign worlds in every issue of DRAGON. Gamers often jump on this mistake as a sign of Ed screwing up, when it’s nothing of the kind.
(Nor, as some gamers have suggested over the years, is it a sign that Ed’s Wiz3 articles get published without editing; on the contrary, every single Wiz3 article has been shortened, some of the earlier ones by quite a bit.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  15:18:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

on the contrary, every single Wiz3 article has been shortened, some of the earlier ones by quite a bit.)
love to all,
THO

That's really a shame. I'd like the opportunity to read these articles in full... complete with Ed's notes scattered here and there .

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  17:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up, THO, really appriciate it :-)

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  22:47:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What!? No visit from Larloch? Hesperdan? The Mage Who Shall Not Be Named? Uncle Weirdbeard is losing his touch ...

-- George Krashos

The "Mage Who Shall Not Be Named" is a "real" mysterious character or just a way of saying "another mysterious wizard".
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  22:53:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naah, it's no-one that I know of - I just slipped it in because it sounded 'right' and funny. I'm now waiting for THO to pop in here and say something like: "Ah, but George there is a "Mage Who Shall Not Be Named" in the Realms and he ... NDA!" or somesuch.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  01:23:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, well, being as you ASKED for it:

Ah, but George, there IS a “Mage Who Shall Not Be Named” in the Realms, and he . . . NDA!

No kidding. Ed even has a short story (written in 1977) about such an individual, but it’ll have to be heavily rewritten to match the published Realms. And it’s not like the man has any free time for - - oh, the next year or so.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  01:45:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have known. Really, I should have. Ed ceased surprising me many a moon ago. Now he just amazes me at every turn.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  19:56:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, IMHO Hesperdan qualify for the title... and I'm pretty sure Ed will let us wait for some years to come before saying more about him.

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Mar 2006 19:56:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000