Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 The Wizards Three Returns to Dragon!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jan 2006 : 02:59:07
According to Erik Mona in Dragon Magazine 340, the Dragon Magazine 30th Anniversary issue (the June issue, #344), will feature the return of the Wizards Three! For anyone that isn't familiar with the article series, it ran in Dragon in the nineties and featured Elminster, Dalamar (from the DragonLance setting), and Mordenkainen (from Greyhawk), sharing stories and exchanging spells and magic (the stats for which showed up at the end of the article). The articles were written by none other than Ed of the Greenwood.

This is great news, and of course, it makes me wonder if Ed is indeed the chronicler of this momentous event.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 06 Apr 2006 : 16:41:07
Hey Ed,

Tell El while he's in town if he wants a real treat to come on down here to Louisiana. I'll make him a nice big pot of gumbo in return for casting contingent wall of stone spells near some levee breaches <g>. There's also several women I know near the coast who would show him their ample pleasures in return for a casting of wall of iron where a bridge used to be. Don't worry, he won't want to stay, because after doing all that I see several people wanting to vote him into office <g>.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2006 : 03:56:24
Oh... Neat!

An intriguing tidbit too... What tickle's El's culinary fancy?
George Krashos Posted - 06 Apr 2006 : 01:44:33
Dragon #344 has: "A Dark and Stormy Knight" by Ed Greenwood. Have dinner with the Wizards Three and learn the culinary tastes of Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Rautheene. Woohoo! Finally, I get to buy another issue of Dragon.

-- George Krashos
Skeptic Posted - 12 Mar 2006 : 03:15:56
Bad, that's very bad
The Hooded One Posted - 12 Mar 2006 : 02:41:09
Oh? HOW sure are you, darling?
(Ah, I'm such a subtle hinter)
love,
THO
Skeptic Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 19:56:23

Well, IMHO Hesperdan qualify for the title... and I'm pretty sure Ed will let us wait for some years to come before saying more about him.
George Krashos Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 01:45:34
I should have known. Really, I should have. Ed ceased surprising me many a moon ago. Now he just amazes me at every turn.

-- George Krashos
The Hooded One Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 01:23:06
Oh, well, being as you ASKED for it:

Ah, but George, there IS a “Mage Who Shall Not Be Named” in the Realms, and he . . . NDA!

No kidding. Ed even has a short story (written in 1977) about such an individual, but it’ll have to be heavily rewritten to match the published Realms. And it’s not like the man has any free time for - - oh, the next year or so.
love,
THO
George Krashos Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 22:53:18
Naah, it's no-one that I know of - I just slipped it in because it sounded 'right' and funny. I'm now waiting for THO to pop in here and say something like: "Ah, but George there is a "Mage Who Shall Not Be Named" in the Realms and he ... NDA!" or somesuch.

-- George Krashos
Skeptic Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 22:47:09
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What!? No visit from Larloch? Hesperdan? The Mage Who Shall Not Be Named? Uncle Weirdbeard is losing his touch ...

-- George Krashos

The "Mage Who Shall Not Be Named" is a "real" mysterious character or just a way of saying "another mysterious wizard".
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 17:45:32
Thanks for clearing that up, THO, really appriciate it :-)
The Sage Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 15:18:06
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

on the contrary, every single Wiz3 article has been shortened, some of the earlier ones by quite a bit.)
love to all,
THO

That's really a shame. I'd like the opportunity to read these articles in full... complete with Ed's notes scattered here and there .
The Hooded One Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 14:54:57
That wasn’t Ed’s mistake, Mace, it was an editorial rewrite mistake. And once established, it was decided (not by Ed) that it was now “reality” for the Wizards Three articles, and should be adhered to in later articles.
This entire series was written at editorial request, as a way of representing all three TSR campaign worlds in every issue of DRAGON. Gamers often jump on this mistake as a sign of Ed screwing up, when it’s nothing of the kind.
(Nor, as some gamers have suggested over the years, is it a sign that Ed’s Wiz3 articles get published without editing; on the contrary, every single Wiz3 article has been shortened, some of the earlier ones by quite a bit.)
love to all,
THO
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 14:37:44
I admit it has been ages since I read the Chronicles, but I think Dalamar only appeared in Legends and it was deliberately stated that he was Silvanesti and they dubbed him Dark Elf
The Sage Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 13:54:15
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Krynn doesn't have any Drow, aside from the mention of a crashed Spelljammer in "Wild Elves" (I think it was). Dark Elves on Krynn are elves who had turned to evil.
Sorry that point really annoyed me in "Seven Sisters"

Dragonlance has never had drow, or at least in the D-series sense, and leaving out Wild Elves which was a somewhat clumsy attempt to introduce them to the setting. Drow was synonymous, however, with evil elf in 1st edition AD&D, hence the reference in CHRONICLES, and it has been stated repeatedly over the years since that its inclusion in the book was merely a symptom of the world not being completely settled when Dragons of Autumn Twilight was written, not because race of subterranean black-skinned white-haired evil elves existed or had ever existed in the setting's continuity.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Mar 2006 : 11:27:28
I haven't read the old articles in Dragon, but I read the short snippet in the Seven Sisters module for 2nd ed.
DragonLance was the first AD&D world that I really grew fond of, and as such I naturally read a lot. What disturbed me was Ed saying that Dalamar had black skin a la drow, which, nitpicker that I am, is wrong... terribly wrong.
Dunni if it ever came up in any of those other articles, but I think when Ed saw Dalamar being described as a Dark Elf he assumed Drow. Krynn doesn't have any Drow, aside from the mention of a crashed Spelljammer in "Wild Elves" (I think it was). Dark Elves on Krynn are elves who had turned to evil.
Sorry that point really annoyed me in "Seven Sisters"
Volo Posted - 02 Feb 2006 : 12:28:25
YES!!! These were not only the best articles in the magazine's history, they, and Volo's Dragons of the North series, were really the only reason I stuck with Dragon during the 'lean years'. So seeing it come back (hopefully as a long-term series? PLEASE? [Yes, Erik, that was DIRECTLY TO YOU! ;-)]) makes me a VERY happy mage!
Chosen of Bane Posted - 27 Jan 2006 : 00:13:15
Not trying to chastise, just trying to ensure accuracy in the Halls of Candlekeep.

Think of it like when Oghma worked against the creation of the Cyrinishad.
Kajehase Posted - 26 Jan 2006 : 23:03:43
Being chastised by a Banite is indeed a bad thing, however, if you look at it from the bright side - it could've been a Loviatran
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Jan 2006 : 20:19:04
I stand chastised . . . and being chastised by a Banite is never a good thing! (Sorry about that CoB)
Chosen of Bane Posted - 26 Jan 2006 : 20:12:56
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

(if I'm not mistaken, Cloak and Dagger is current in 1370 DR, and 1373 DR is where the 3rd Edition FRCS . . . a three year jump).

Minor Nitpick

Forgotten Realms campaign setting is actually Midsummer (Shield meet) 1372 actually. The first 1373 sourcebook updates were in Players Guide to Faerun
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Jan 2006 : 20:07:54
I just checked on our fellow scribes excellent "Temporal Chronology of the Primes" and to catch up with Dalamar, i.e. not meeting up with him while his is sulking in the missing Tower of Palanthas surrounded by the souls of the dead, while Dalamar would actually be interested in trading spells and the like, would take us to the year 1431 DR, which is 57 years from the current date in the Realms.

This is, of course, assuming that they are still Temporally Parallel, after Takhisis' little trick.

Ironically, someone on the DragonLance boards groused at my defense of the Forgotten Realms by saying that the setting leaped too far ahead in time when 3rd edition came out (if I'm not mistaken, Cloak and Dagger is current in 1370 DR, and 1373 DR is where the 3rd Edition FRCS . . . a three year jump).

Bakra Posted - 26 Jan 2006 : 17:34:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Just to confirm: yes, Ed has written this article (at Erik's request), and turned it in. Those who recall the later instalments in the saga know that Dalamar disappeared, and a female apprentice of Mordenkainen, who was going to search for him, ended up being the third mage at the get-togethers. So she is in this one, which features the usual banter, depletion of Ed's viands and drinkables, and new spells.
love to all,
THO

Yes! My age old question to Ed has been solved...by Ed!
George Krashos Posted - 20 Jan 2006 : 07:00:11
What!? No visit from Larloch? Hesperdan? The Mage Who Shall Not Be Named? Uncle Weirdbeard is losing his touch ...

-- George Krashos
The Hooded One Posted - 20 Jan 2006 : 03:44:14
Just to confirm: yes, Ed has written this article (at Erik's request), and turned it in. Those who recall the later instalments in the saga know that Dalamar disappeared, and a female apprentice of Mordenkainen, who was going to search for him, ended up being the third mage at the get-togethers. So she is in this one, which features the usual banter, depletion of Ed's viands and drinkables, and new spells.
love to all,
THO
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Jan 2006 : 02:08:14
Not to mention, I thought the reason that Eberron is a trillion times better than Faerun (or so say the more rabid fans and the marketing execs) is that they don't have powerful forces for good or neutrality NPCs, only villains. (Once again, the standard disclaimer: the above was directed at the marketing folk that think our old hidebound setting will never attract youngsters, and the band wagoners that post at Paizo with the mistaken impression that Drizzt and Elminster are meant to join your party as an NPC).
The Sage Posted - 19 Jan 2006 : 12:54:31
quote:
If my sources are correct this series started in #185 and was continued in #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242 and #246. Did I miss any #?
No, they're all of them -- 185 188 196 200 211 219 238 242 246.
Arivia Posted - 19 Jan 2006 : 12:53:02
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Or will Dragon simply replace Dalamar by an Eberronesque Wizard?

That would not be to exclude...

Bocklin

Who, though? There's no one iconic enough in Eberron-maybe Mordain the Fleshweaver(page 167 of the ECS) or Vol, but that's about it...
Vvornth Posted - 19 Jan 2006 : 11:19:57
Is it confirmed that M, E and D are the three then? Or maybe there will be an Eberron Mage added to the mix, that is something I'd really like to see (and that would utterly dismay the fantasy purists I have no doubt).

If my sources are correct this series started in #185 and was continued in #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242 and #246. Did I miss any #?

EDIT: Bocklin beat me to it.
Bocklin Posted - 19 Jan 2006 : 11:15:39
Or will Dragon simply replace Dalamar by an Eberronesque Wizard?

That would not be to exclude...

Bocklin

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000