Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Loudwater in 5e?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  17:11:57  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Trying to confirm references.

I remember it being the sandbox in 4e frcs.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  18:17:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Loudwater has been around for 1e/2e/3e/4e, one could assume its around in 5e (especially since their goal - geography-wise - was to 'reset' everything back to the 1e/2e layout).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  22:57:40  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It definitely exists in 5e, and it gets a paragraph in Storm King's Thunder.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  05:08:37  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a sandbox place if they talk about it in any detail.

IMHO….. "sandbox" means that they set apart some region in the game world, and then WOTC says like "This region of the Realms we will leave alone so you DMs can create and put whatever towns and cities and cultures you want to, without interfering too much with established canon."

As it stands now….. much of Faerun is too cluttered. Too busy. Too over-populated. Too noisy. Too rich in history (much of it conflicting histories, because of the discrepancies introduced between Editions). This "overly-detailed" environment might be a great thing….. for those DMs that hate creating custom content on their own.

Edited by - moonbeast on 14 Dec 2016 05:10:00
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  05:23:40  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To OP:

Loudwater appears on Jared Blando's official Sword Coast map, a map that was published on 5th Edition Starter Kit book (and maybe on one of the other core 5E books).

You can purchase Jared's digital map copy of that here:
http://theredepic.bigcartel.com/product/the-sword-coast-campaign-map-digital-download-version

Mike Schley's more-extensive gigantic Map of Faerun for 5E is extremely detailed, but somehow he forgot to include Loudwater on his gorgeously detailed map.

One can download/purchase Schley's official 5th Edition digital map here:

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p858006957/h5ea715c3#h5ea715c3

Edited by - moonbeast on 14 Dec 2016 05:27:04
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  06:39:02  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also find it on the more recent map that came with Storm King's Thunder, available for free through the Extra Life charity that many D&D folks donated to! Scroll down to the $30,000 reward.
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=27339

The town gets a half-page of description in Storm King's Thunder.
I'd say it's still a great place for a sandbox, as the nearby towns of Orlbar, Zelbross, and Llorkh are currently in ruins, and it's the last bastion of civilization before hitting the true wildlands around the Graypeaks.
Check out my own work in progress map for other locations in the area: http://fav.me/darkyxp

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  08:53:39  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kanzen, that looks like Mike Schley's map of the Realms that he sells on his website…. just updated. It's good that Loudwater is finally included there.

I still do like his "purchased" version on his website….. it's the highest resolution possible. 10,200 x 6,600 pixels. I guess that's good for DMs who want high-rez poster sized maps that cover an entire wall of their gaming room. ;)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  10:22:03  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Kanzen, that looks like Mike Schley's map of the Realms that he sells on his website…. just updated.

Yup, that's exactly what it is!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  19:15:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its actually still missing quite a bit. Its accurate up to the last update I did on my own 'map of the North' (the last thing I added was Parnast).

I suppose I'll have to update mine again, just to force him to update his. LOL

I don't like where Womford is - it only appeared on one map, and its really supposed to be 'Wormford' (as per Ed's description), and I shifted it a bit east, to keep it away from the Bargewright Inn, and put it on Ganstar's Creek instead (which I worked-out with Eric Boyd). Its still a game setting, after all, and we don't need two settlements on top of each other.

Otherwise, its very pretty. I very nice update of the '3e style' with the older, 1e/2e terrain.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Dec 2016 19:17:57
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  22:39:33  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was the map used for STK - it has only the locations potentially visited in that adventure.
I have a feeling that, because it was an adventure, they left out a lot of locations to avoid overwhelming DMs.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  00:37:56  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't like where Womford is - it only appeared on one map, and its really supposed to be 'Wormford' (as per Ed's description), and I shifted it a bit east, to keep it away from the Bargewright Inn, and put it on Ganstar's Creek instead (which I worked-out with Eric Boyd). Its still a game setting, after all, and we don't need two settlements on top of each other.

They kind of address the name controversy in the current edition, by explaining that it used to be called "Wyrm Ford", which was corrupted through local speech to Womford.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000