Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's the current status of the setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  10:53:55  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been away for a while, so I was wondering if there's an update anywhere depicting the state of the Forgotten Realms as it currently stands? And if so, can someone point me to it? I pretty much went away during the 4E era and I'm curious what's going on with the Forgotten Realms nowadays. Thanks.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  11:13:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I've been away for a while, so I was wondering if there's an update anywhere depicting the state of the Forgotten Realms as it currently stands? And if so, can someone point me to it? I pretty much went away during the 4E era and I'm curious what's going on with the Forgotten Realms nowadays. Thanks.

They've come out with a few modules based in FR, and they've come up with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (this gives some short blurbs on what's happened with the rest of the world).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  14:28:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I'll just paste an answer that I've already given to this question elsewhere.

SPOILERS ahead (sources: the Sword Coast guide, Ed's answers, various novels. The Sword Coast guide doesn't really explain how the changes happened. It just says ''the Sundering happened, and this is how the FR and its pantheon look like now'').

The Sundering basically consists of Ao rewriting the tablets of Fate, bringing back many gods, and separating Abeir and Toril again.
By rewriting the Tablets of Fate, Ao seals the various gods power and portfolios and establishes new rules to avoid further divine conflicts and the cataclysms that they brough (in fact the gods are supposed to be more distant now).

The various deities invest power in mortal chosen, trying to expand their influence before Ao could finish rewriting the tablets. However this gamble goes badly for most deities, except for a *large* group of deities that people believed gone, but that actually managed to return thanks to Ao (and other contingencies, in some cases), mostly to how they were in the 1370s DR. Most of those chosen are no longer such as of the 1490s, as their deities have withdrawn their power.

Cyric no longer is the god of murder, Bhaal returned claimed that portfolio, Myrkul returned and claimed the portfolio of death, while Kelemvor currently is the judge of the dead. Leira and Mask also returned (Mask has returned through the ascension of Drasek Riven, though), so Cyric mainly is the god of lies now.

Other deities that have been restored are Helm, Tyr, and Azuth (we know that the latter is back, but that story isn't complete yet). The elven, dwarven and halfling pantheons are back to how they were. The drow pantheon is back too, with the difference that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are no longer enemies now, and might be working together.

About Shade/Myth Drannor: during the Sundering the Shadovar attempt to kill the various chosen created by the gods and drain their power. They also attempt to drain the mythal of Myth Drannor. Larloch also attempts to drain the mythal and the wards of Candlekeep, in order to become a god. Elminster, Storm, Alustriel and Laeral and the Srinshee battle at Myth Drannor against Larloch and the Shades (these two are not allied), to protect the Weave and the elven city (yes, Laeral and Alustriel are alive: Khelben had foreseen all the mess of the Spellplague and various cataclsysms and had ordered Laeral to prepare to prevent the Wards of Candlekeep from being used by ill-intentioned individuals. Larloch however managed to absorb them as a part of his plan to ascend to godhood). Chaos ensues: the Srinshee sacrifices to take the energy that Larloch had drained from the wards and infuse it in the Weave; Elminster kills Tanthul and Shade crashes on Myth Drannor, severely damagin the city, but not destroying it. Currently most elves are in Semberholme and other settlements, with a little community still in Myth Drannor, gathered around the Tree of Souls (which was saved by a group of Baelnorns who had been informed of the imminent cataclysm by the Srinshee. Those balenorns are still there, guarding the Tree).

Other major events, mostly regarding geographic changes are:
-The Plaguelands are ''healed'' , the Earthmotes fall, the Sea of the Fallen Stars reforms, the Underchasm is filled.
-In Waterdeep downshadow is abandoned, and Laeral becomes open lord.
-Mulhorand and Unther return from Abeir, and so do their deities (the Mulhorandi ones rule as avatar; in Unther, even Gilgeam and others who had ''died'' long before the Spellplague returned. Apparently a reincarnated Gilgeam guided his people on Abeir). However a part of Tymanther remains, albeit the dragonborn have been driven away by the returned Untherites, whose goal apparently is to completely wipe what remains of Tymanther and the dragonborn civilization.
-Maztica is also back.
-Evermeet currently touches three planes: Toril, the Feywild and Arvandor, and can be physically reached from Toril (as in, you can go there with a ship).
-Halruaa managed to shift to Abeir before the Spellplague, and now is back.
-Lantan re-emerged, but most of the gnomish wonders are gone.
-Luiren is no longer flooded.
-IIRC, at some point during the Sundering, there was a movement of living Red Wizards that was trying to take back Thay. I don't know what happened to them, but I guess that their efforts led to the situation described in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (i.e. the living can advance in rank within the Red Wizards).

I guess this is all. There could be mistakes, so correct me if I'm wrong.

This might be of help: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Apr 2016 14:35:49
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  14:30:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for what's currently going on, things are basically back to old. Tiamat tried to invade the Realms. The Archomentals tried to invade the Realms. All major demon lords have been summoned in the Realms, because Lolth was trying to conquer the whole Abyss, just after having been soundly defeated by Mystra when she tried to take control of the Weave (all of this happened in less than 10 years).

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Apr 2016 14:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  14:40:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One good thing is that WotC opened up the FR IP to those who want to produce content for it (non canon), as long as such content uses the 5e D&D rules (if it's meant to include crunch) and is published on this site: http://www.dmsguild.com/

Ed has said that he'll publish new Volo's guides on that site, starting since November (IIRC).

Go to Top of Page

Wolfrick
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  15:57:31  Show Profile Send Wolfrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this. It really helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  16:08:11  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

As for what's currently going on, things are basically back to old. Tiamat tried to invade the Realms. The Archomentals tried to invade the Realms. All major demon lords have been summoned in the Realms, because Lolth was trying to conquer the whole Abyss, just after having been soundly defeated by Mystra when she tried to take control of the Weave (all of this happened in less than 10 years).

The utter ridiculousness of the Rage of Demons plotline drove me crazy. To begin with, I think the only reason Lolth ever went for the Weave is so they could use the horrible pun about the spider goddess "weaving a new Weave of magic".

But beyond that, it makes no sense that Lolth can just go from 1 plot to the next unaffected by losses. Having Mystra (and a band of adventurers) beat you into submission should cause at least a temporary loss of power.

Most of the time, deities avoid battles with other deities and similarly powerful entities because such battles can leave them weakened. But apparently Lolth and Shar can execute 1 world ending plot after another, and never lose any power despite being defeated.

And now that Demogorgon got casually backhanded by an alliance of illithids and drow, what demon are we ever supposed to fear again?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  17:50:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care anymore. I'll just take whatever good story Ed and other novelists are allowed to write, and ignore all that ridiculous ''one world ending event per year or so'' thingy that WotC is so enamored with.

Btw, the new event seems to be a huge Giants stampede over the Sword Coast.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  18:48:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it's time for some Dwarven Cowboys to saddle up and tame that stampede!!!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 May 2016 18:48:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  19:07:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't care anymore. I'll just take whatever good story Ed and other novelists are allowed to write, and ignore all that ridiculous ''one world ending event per year or so'' thingy that WotC is so enamored with.

Only one a year? Heck, that would be an improvement over what we were getting in 3E!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 May 2016 19:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  19:35:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant one per *in-universe* year :P

That would be about two per RW year

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  19:50:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seemed like there was an RSE every 45 days or so...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 May 2016 19:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  19:58:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would still be an improvement. Shade and Deep Imaskar returned in 1372, the daemonfey started prepping for their fun and games, Lareth warned the other metal dragons that another Dracorage was about to kick off, and the Silence of Lolth started. 1372 also saw the apparent return of Bane.

The Silence of Lolth ended, the Dracorage kicked off, and the Sojourner yanked one of Tears of Selūne out of the sky -- all in 1373.

And there was a bunch of smaller events going on, too.

So I will stand by my earlier statement that even having just one RSE a year would be an improvement over what they were doing.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  20:06:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you make me notice that, yeah that's a whole lot of stuff in a very brief time. Although not all of those have the same world-ending potential as Tiamat/Princes/and every major demon lord doing their best to destroy Faerun would.

But yeah, stuff is sort of back to old.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  20:24:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It would still be an improvement. Shade and Deep Imaskar returned in 1372, the daemonfey started prepping for their fun and games, Lareth warned the other metal dragons that another Dracorage was about to kick off, and the Silence of Lolth started. 1372 also saw the apparent return of Bane.

The Silence of Lolth ended, the Dracorage kicked off, and the Sojourner yanked one of Tears of Selūne out of the sky -- all in 1373.

So I will stand by my earlier statement that even having just one RSE a year would be an improvement over what they were doing.

All novels stuff Wooly. In some ways, I don't regret the demise of the FR novel line. If they had sanctioned small scale, character driven stories I would have missed them terribly. Now, not so much.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  21:51:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All novel stuff, true, but it was referenced in source material.

Most of the big events of the Realms have been in novels.

I do miss the smaller tales -- it's part of the reason I always suggest Elaine Cunningham and Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak when someone asks about novels.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  23:58:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do miss the smaller tales -- it's part of the reason I always suggest Elaine Cunningham and Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak when someone asks about novels.

Indeed, great smaller scale Realms stories.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  09:15:15  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

All novels stuff Wooly. In some ways, I don't regret the demise of the FR novel line. If they had sanctioned small scale, character driven stories I would have missed them terribly. Now, not so much.

-- George Krashos

I don't think 1 thing is exclusive to the other. Since the Sojourner was mentioned, that wasn't an RSE at all. It was a potential RSE that was averted, just like the Shadowstorm in the followup trilogy. But Kemp did an excellent job of balancing both. Yes, it was a huge story about very important events, but it was equally a compelling story about Erevis Cale's quest for redemption as a man.

On the note of the Sojourner, I would add that such things should be commonplace in FR. It's a world that is literally saturated with magic, and we know there are hundreds of evil magic users who are archmage level. How are there not going to regularly be events like that?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  09:19:40  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not all RSEs thoguh. Lolth's Silence ultimately resulted in nothing bigger than the destruction of Ched Nasad and that other city that fell to Kiaransalee. It changed nothing on the surface and nothing major in the Underdark power structure.

Because Erevis killed him at the last possible second and the tear broke apart, the Sojourner's Rain of Fire didn't do much damage.

Deep Imaskar has been largely ignored since it returned. It definitely didn't alter any balances of power.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  13:50:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth's Silence may not have had much impact on the surface, but the destruction of a major drow city does shake things up in the Underdark, as did the attacks on Menzoberranzan. Plus, Lolth's Silence would have affected all drow in Realmspace (possibly in other spheres, as well), and she (inexplicably) came out of it more powerful.

And even if not many people were killed, pulling one of the Tears out of orbit and letting it crash to the ground is still a pretty big deal.

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2016 :  23:46:27  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in terms of FR 5E books there is only the Sword Coast Guide? Plus the adventures? Are the adventures Realms specific or generic d&d and are they any good lorewise?

I like the 5E system but other than the rules I don't see much reason to continue in current realms. I might get the new rules and play the 2E version of the setting.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  00:51:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, only SCAG. The adventures, while set in the Realms, are very light on lore, that I know.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  03:33:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really miss the amount of novels we used to get, RSEs or not.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  07:30:17  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Only one a year? Heck, that would be an improvement over what we were getting in 3E!

All the complaining about RSE's in the 3E era killed the Realms. I would gladly accept the full on return of the RSE format if it brought us back the robustness of the novel line. The way things are right now is just horrible. There is nothing exciting and there are no signs that WoTC will ever get there shit together with the Realms ever again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  10:34:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

quote:

All the complaining about RSE's in the 3E era killed the Realms. I would gladly accept the full on return of the RSE format if it brought us back the robustness of the novel line. The way things are right now is just horrible. There is nothing exciting and there are no signs that WoTC will ever get there shit together with the Realms ever again.

I would say it was the RSEs themselves that damaged the setting, not people complaining about them.

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  11:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would say it was the RSEs themselves that damaged the setting, not people complaining about them.

Any RSE in particular that lends itself to this notion or just the amount of them in the same relative time and place?

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  13:56:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any RSE in particular that lends itself to this notion or just the amount of them in the same relative time and place?

I think that it was both their number (at some point, it gets just far fetched), and the way how they removed places, characters and organizations. Some RSEs (mostly end 3e and the ones that led to 4e) were also aimed to apply some changes to the setting regardless of whether they fit within the context of the setting, or made sense for the characters involved (just to have their consequences ignored or downplayed later on, because the change is done and the offending element--in the designers' opinion--is gone).

When their RSEs all end up with iconic parts of the Realms or characters being destroyed, removed, or drastically changed, then it's no wonder that the fans of the setting will react negatively. Of course, people will have different reaction to different RSEs. For example, I was saddened to find out about deities being removed as if they were flies, and especially what was done to the drow pantheon.

It's also how certain RSEs were handled. For example, I liked the reclamation of Myth Drannor, but I didn't like that the whole region was fully cleared in so little time. The Reclamation could have provided the opportunity to have a restored Myth Drannor--or a Myth drannor being restored--(and all the opportunities for stories that come from it), while still keeping some of the ruins around it (so they could have still been explorable in-game, with the elves being in the process of clearing them, and maybe needing help to do so, keeping their usefulness a campaign hook). OTOH, unrelatedly to how good the associated novels could have been, I hated what happened to Thay.

Or the current Sundering, a massive RSEs to undo all those changes, w/o providing a real explanation for the vast majority of them (but then again, so was the Spellplague, which basically was ''Mystra dies, stuff that alignes with our desing goals happens'').

Edited by - Irennan on 16 May 2016 14:01:46
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  13:59:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ikr, people were supposed to play the ''eat-it-all'' fans, and still buy everything WotC put out, no matter how it kept removing what they liked about the Realms and blowing stuff up.

If WotC chose a particular route, it's because their profits were not what they were expecting, not because people complained. They could care less about complaints that aren't backed by actually not buying the product, and if people don't buy, then it means that someone dropped the ball. Guess who?

In any case, they seem to be on a limited budget due to Hasbro not being satisfied with how 4e went.

Edited by - Irennan on 16 May 2016 14:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  16:45:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is my big fear about the 5E Realms. Give WotC enough time and someone will get the bright idea to blow it up, yet again...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 May 2016 16:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  18:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That is my big fear about the 5E Realms. Give WotC enough time and someone will get the bright idea to blow it up, yet again...

That would require actually doing something with the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  21:16:32  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Personally I thought the setting was fine in 3E. I don't think the RSE's or the complaints themselves did it in. But it prompted WoTC to go down the Spellplague path which tanked 4E.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000