Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's the current status of the setting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Venger Posted - 30 Apr 2016 : 10:53:55
I've been away for a while, so I was wondering if there's an update anywhere depicting the state of the Forgotten Realms as it currently stands? And if so, can someone point me to it? I pretty much went away during the 4E era and I'm curious what's going on with the Forgotten Realms nowadays. Thanks.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 22 Aug 2016 : 02:06:02
True. I don't mind Ao's involvement, it's the lack of detail I miss, like what was provided during the Time of Troubles.
BrianDavion Posted - 22 Aug 2016 : 01:31:37
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Thanks for the update, Irennan.

I'm not sure I like the Ao re-booted the setting explanation, but it satisfies on some levels and is reasonably consistent with previous actions.

I agree. I wasn't too thrilled with the "Ao did it" explanation, either. It was literally a deus ex machina. I would have liked more detail, but at least the gods are back, even if certain events are brushed over.

in fairness given the sheer damage done by 4th edition a deus ex machina was proably needed. sides 4th edition was created with a DEM, so ending it with a DEM is at least consistant?
froglegg Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 14:47:38
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

All novel stuff, true, but it was referenced in source material.

Most of the big events of the Realms have been in novels.

I do miss the smaller tales -- it's part of the reason I always suggest Elaine Cunningham and Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak when someone asks about novels.

AMEN!

John
CorellonsDevout Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 17:44:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I'm not sure I like the Ao re-booted the setting explanation, but it satisfies on some levels and is reasonably consistent with previous actions.

I agree. I wasn't too thrilled with the "Ao did it" explanation, either. It was literally a deus ex machina. I would have liked more detail, but at least the gods are back, even if certain events are brushed over.
Brimstone Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 16:31:57
quote:
Originally posted by Direhammer

Or you can just Dallas the heck out of it. You wake up one morning and pre ToT Faerun is waiting for you in the shower. I'm just going to rewind to 1357 and ignore everything produced after.

I would cherry pick what I would like to keep from the future Realmslore. Just mash it all together in 1357. Or just go back even further, and really have some fun...
Irennan Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 14:56:07
You're welcome. I don't like the ''Ao did it'' explanation. IMO, at least all those events that had dedicated novels should have been reverted through another novel (or at least have a decent explanation. This includes the likes of the Avatar series, the Lady Penitent books, Empyrean Odyssey and so on).
Kiaransalyn Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 10:46:14

Clegane Posted - 02 Jun 2016 : 04:01:08
quote:
Originally posted by Direhammer

Or you can just Dallas the heck out of it. You wake up one morning and pre ToT Faerun is waiting for you in the shower. I'm just going to rewind to 1357 and ignore everything produced after.

This!
Direhammer Posted - 01 Jun 2016 : 18:07:33
Brimstone Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:51:58
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

Is this Ed Greenwood Group on Hatebook?

It's his publishing company: http://onderlibrum.com/

Ah, I see...
Irennan Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:33:14
quote:

quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

It's his publishing company: http://onderlibrum.com/
Brimstone Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:29:54
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

What is EGG?

Besides EGG for the smart Alex's out there...

Or one of the fathers of Dungeons & Dragons, EGG also stands for E. Gary Gygax.

That one is obvious!
Brimstone Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:29:15
quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

Rymac Posted - 18 May 2016 : 02:04:17
quote:

What is EGG?

Or one of the fathers of Dungeons & Dragons, EGG also stands for E. Gary Gygax.
Irennan Posted - 17 May 2016 : 23:38:17
Ed Greenwood Group
Brimstone Posted - 17 May 2016 : 23:35:27
What is EGG?

Irennan Posted - 17 May 2016 : 20:24:30
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Ikr, people were supposed to play the ''eat-it-all'' fans, and still buy everything WotC put out, no matter how it kept removing what they liked about the Realms and blowing stuff up.

If WotC chose a particular route, it's because their profits were not what they were expecting, not because people complained. They could care less about complaints that aren't backed by actually not buying the product, and if people don't buy, then it means that someone dropped the ball. Guess who?

In any case, they seem to be on a limited budget due to Hasbro not being satisfied with how 4e went.

What I'm saying is that the idea of having an RSE to end all RSE's A.K.A. the Spellplague was a horribly misguided idea and it caused most of the hardcore fans to flee the setting. So many people here have stated that they refused to ingest anything 4E because of it. So yes, 5E is on a short leash financially all because of 4E which got messed up because WoTC decided to listen to the fans.

But I dunno, maybe my thoughts and feelings are being clouded by my extreme sadness over the slow death of this setting.

I don't think that the Spellplague was meant to end all the RSEs, tbh. That was the Sundering.

If they had actually listened to the fans in 4e, they wouldn't have removed a lot of iconic characters/deities, they wouldn't have blown up places, and they wouldn't have done the 100 years jump.
Irennan Posted - 17 May 2016 : 20:22:52
quote:

quote:

My apologies, Wooly. I guess it just feels that way. But you're right, I don't have solid evidence. Sorry, poor word choice.

I heard rumors they were going to end the novel line. Are they just rumors, then? I am getting mixed messages.

They can't -- if Ed doesn't get to do a novel a year, the rights revert to him.

And there is no way WotC will ever discontinue publishing novels about some other rather popular characters.

From what I've read in the magazine recently published by the EGG, the novel line seems to be coming to a halt. IIRC, Ed has to get to write at least 1 book per year, not necessarily a novel. Could his contributions through the DMGuild count?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2016 : 23:07:02
quote:

My apologies, Wooly. I guess it just feels that way. But you're right, I don't have solid evidence. Sorry, poor word choice.

I heard rumors they were going to end the novel line. Are they just rumors, then? I am getting mixed messages.

They can't -- if Ed doesn't get to do a novel a year, the rights revert to him.

And there is no way WotC will ever discontinue publishing novels about some other rather popular characters.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 May 2016 : 22:54:43

Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2016 : 22:36:35
quote:

Yeah, they're leaving it along so much they're ending the novel line and having fans produce material because they don't want to anymore. I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...

Unless you've got solid evidence that "they don't want to" produce material anymore, we really need to avoid saying things like that.

Comment all day long on things they have done, but don't make statements of their intent if you can't back them up.

Also, they've not ended the novel line -- it is just absolutely minimal, right now.
Adhriva Posted - 16 May 2016 : 22:11:54
quote:

I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...

...but it opens the door for any evil-alugned bard to just skip along, merrily singing a jolly tune about how hero so-and-so has betrayed us all and had gotten involved in an elaborate plot to overthrow Corellon?

Tis the stuff nightmares are made of...
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 May 2016 : 21:45:49
Yeah, they're leaving it along so much they're ending the novel line and having fans produce material because they don't want to anymore. I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...
Brimstone Posted - 16 May 2016 : 21:33:05
quote:

quote:

That is my big fear about the 5E Realms. Give WotC enough time and someone will get the bright idea to blow it up, yet again...

That would require actually doing something with the setting.

Right. Then again it might be a good thing that WotC is leaving it alone...
Caolin Posted - 16 May 2016 : 21:22:29
quote:
Ikr, people were supposed to play the ''eat-it-all'' fans, and still buy everything WotC put out, no matter how it kept removing what they liked about the Realms and blowing stuff up.

If WotC chose a particular route, it's because their profits were not what they were expecting, not because people complained. They could care less about complaints that aren't backed by actually not buying the product, and if people don't buy, then it means that someone dropped the ball. Guess who?

In any case, they seem to be on a limited budget due to Hasbro not being satisfied with how 4e went.

What I'm saying is that the idea of having an RSE to end all RSE's A.K.A. the Spellplague was a horribly misguided idea and it caused most of the hardcore fans to flee the setting. So many people here have stated that they refused to ingest anything 4E because of it. So yes, 5E is on a short leash financially all because of 4E which got messed up because WoTC decided to listen to the fans.

But I dunno, maybe my thoughts and feelings are being clouded by my extreme sadness over the slow death of this setting.
Caolin Posted - 16 May 2016 : 21:16:32
quote:

quote:

All the complaining about RSE's in the 3E era killed the Realms. I would gladly accept the full on return of the RSE format if it brought us back the robustness of the novel line. The way things are right now is just horrible. There is nothing exciting and there are no signs that WoTC will ever get there shit together with the Realms ever again.

I would say it was the RSEs themselves that damaged the setting, not people complaining about them.

Personally I thought the setting was fine in 3E. I don't think the RSE's or the complaints themselves did it in. But it prompted WoTC to go down the Spellplague path which tanked 4E.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2016 : 18:19:06
quote:

That is my big fear about the 5E Realms. Give WotC enough time and someone will get the bright idea to blow it up, yet again...

That would require actually doing something with the setting.
Brimstone Posted - 16 May 2016 : 16:45:32
Irennan Posted - 16 May 2016 : 13:59:41
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't care anymore. I'll just take whatever good story Ed and other novelists are allowed to write, and ignore all that ridiculous ''one world ending event per year or so'' thingy that WotC is so enamored with.

Only one a year? Heck, that would be an improvement over what we were getting in 3E!

All the complaining about RSE's in the 3E era killed the Realms. I would gladly accept the full on return of the RSE format if it brought us back the robustness of the novel line. The way things are right now is just horrible. There is nothing exciting and there are no signs that WoTC will ever get there shit together with the Realms ever again.

Irennan Posted - 16 May 2016 : 13:56:20
quote:

Any RSE in particular that lends itself to this notion or just the amount of them in the same relative time and place?

I think that it was both their number (at some point, it gets just far fetched), and the way how they removed places, characters and organizations. Some RSEs (mostly end 3e and the ones that led to 4e) were also aimed to apply some changes to the setting regardless of whether they fit within the context of the setting, or made sense for the characters involved (just to have their consequences ignored or downplayed later on, because the change is done and the offending element--in the designers' opinion--is gone).

When their RSEs all end up with iconic parts of the Realms or characters being destroyed, removed, or drastically changed, then it's no wonder that the fans of the setting will react negatively. Of course, people will have different reaction to different RSEs. For example, I was saddened to find out about deities being removed as if they were flies, and especially what was done to the drow pantheon.

It's also how certain RSEs were handled. For example, I liked the reclamation of Myth Drannor, but I didn't like that the whole region was fully cleared in so little time. The Reclamation could have provided the opportunity to have a restored Myth Drannor--or a Myth drannor being restored--(and all the opportunities for stories that come from it), while still keeping some of the ruins around it (so they could have still been explorable in-game, with the elves being in the process of clearing them, and maybe needing help to do so, keeping their usefulness a campaign hook). OTOH, unrelatedly to how good the associated novels could have been, I hated what happened to Thay.

Or the current Sundering, a massive RSEs to undo all those changes, w/o providing a real explanation for the vast majority of them (but then again, so was the Spellplague, which basically was ''Mystra dies, stuff that alignes with our desing goals happens'').

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000