Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's the current status of the setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  21:22:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan
Ikr, people were supposed to play the ''eat-it-all'' fans, and still buy everything WotC put out, no matter how it kept removing what they liked about the Realms and blowing stuff up.

If WotC chose a particular route, it's because their profits were not what they were expecting, not because people complained. They could care less about complaints that aren't backed by actually not buying the product, and if people don't buy, then it means that someone dropped the ball. Guess who?

In any case, they seem to be on a limited budget due to Hasbro not being satisfied with how 4e went.

What I'm saying is that the idea of having an RSE to end all RSE's A.K.A. the Spellplague was a horribly misguided idea and it caused most of the hardcore fans to flee the setting. So many people here have stated that they refused to ingest anything 4E because of it. So yes, 5E is on a short leash financially all because of 4E which got messed up because WoTC decided to listen to the fans.

But I dunno, maybe my thoughts and feelings are being clouded by my extreme sadness over the slow death of this setting.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  21:33:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That is my big fear about the 5E Realms. Give WotC enough time and someone will get the bright idea to blow it up, yet again...

That would require actually doing something with the setting.

Right. Then again it might be a good thing that WotC is leaving it alone...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  21:45:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they're leaving it along so much they're ending the novel line and having fans produce material because they don't want to anymore. I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 16 May 2016 21:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  22:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...

...but it opens the door for any evil-alugned bard to just skip along, merrily singing a jolly tune about how hero so-and-so has betrayed us all and had gotten involved in an elaborate plot to overthrow Corellon?

Tis the stuff nightmares are made of...

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 16 May 2016 22:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  22:36:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, they're leaving it along so much they're ending the novel line and having fans produce material because they don't want to anymore. I mean, I like the idea of the DMGuild, but...

Unless you've got solid evidence that "they don't want to" produce material anymore, we really need to avoid saying things like that.

Comment all day long on things they have done, but don't make statements of their intent if you can't back them up.

Also, they've not ended the novel line -- it is just absolutely minimal, right now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  22:54:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies, Wooly. I guess it just feels that way. But you're right, I don't have solid evidence. Sorry, poor word choice.

I heard rumors they were going to end the novel line. Are they just rumors, then? I am getting mixed messages.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 16 May 2016 22:59:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  23:07:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My apologies, Wooly. I guess it just feels that way. But you're right, I don't have solid evidence. Sorry, poor word choice.

I heard rumors they were going to end the novel line. Are they just rumors, then? I am getting mixed messages.

They can't -- if Ed doesn't get to do a novel a year, the rights revert to him.

And there is no way WotC will ever discontinue publishing novels about some other rather popular characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  20:22:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They can't -- if Ed doesn't get to do a novel a year, the rights revert to him.

And there is no way WotC will ever discontinue publishing novels about some other rather popular characters.

From what I've read in the magazine recently published by the EGG, the novel line seems to be coming to a halt. IIRC, Ed has to get to write at least 1 book per year, not necessarily a novel. Could his contributions through the DMGuild count?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  20:24:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Ikr, people were supposed to play the ''eat-it-all'' fans, and still buy everything WotC put out, no matter how it kept removing what they liked about the Realms and blowing stuff up.

If WotC chose a particular route, it's because their profits were not what they were expecting, not because people complained. They could care less about complaints that aren't backed by actually not buying the product, and if people don't buy, then it means that someone dropped the ball. Guess who?

In any case, they seem to be on a limited budget due to Hasbro not being satisfied with how 4e went.

What I'm saying is that the idea of having an RSE to end all RSE's A.K.A. the Spellplague was a horribly misguided idea and it caused most of the hardcore fans to flee the setting. So many people here have stated that they refused to ingest anything 4E because of it. So yes, 5E is on a short leash financially all because of 4E which got messed up because WoTC decided to listen to the fans.

But I dunno, maybe my thoughts and feelings are being clouded by my extreme sadness over the slow death of this setting.

I don't think that the Spellplague was meant to end all the RSEs, tbh. That was the Sundering.

If they had actually listened to the fans in 4e, they wouldn't have removed a lot of iconic characters/deities, they wouldn't have blown up places, and they wouldn't have done the 100 years jump.

Edited by - Irennan on 17 May 2016 20:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  23:35:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is EGG?

Besides EGG for the smart Alex's out there...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 May 2016 23:36:00
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  23:38:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood Group

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  02:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is EGG?

Or one of the fathers of Dungeons & Dragons, EGG also stands for E. Gary Gygax.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  15:29:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

Is this Ed Greenwood Group on Hatebook?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  15:29:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

What is EGG?

Or one of the fathers of Dungeons & Dragons, EGG also stands for E. Gary Gygax.

That one is obvious!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  15:33:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

It's his publishing company: http://onderlibrum.com/

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  15:51:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed Greenwood Group

It's his publishing company: http://onderlibrum.com/

Ah, I see...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Direhammer
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  18:07:33  Show Profile Send Direhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you can just Dallas the heck out of it. You wake up one morning and pre ToT Faerun is waiting for you in the shower. I'm just going to rewind to 1357 and ignore everything produced after.
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  04:01:08  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Direhammer

Or you can just Dallas the heck out of it. You wake up one morning and pre ToT Faerun is waiting for you in the shower. I'm just going to rewind to 1357 and ignore everything produced after.

This!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  10:46:14  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Irennan.

I'm not sure I like the Ao re-booted the setting explanation, but it satisfies on some levels and is reasonably consistent with previous actions.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  14:56:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. I don't like the ''Ao did it'' explanation. IMO, at least all those events that had dedicated novels should have been reverted through another novel (or at least have a decent explanation. This includes the likes of the Avatar series, the Lady Penitent books, Empyrean Odyssey and so on).

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  16:31:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Direhammer

I would cherry pick what I would like to keep from the future Realmslore. Just mash it all together in 1357. Or just go back even further, and really have some fun...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Aug 2016 16:32:18
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  17:44:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I'm not sure I like the Ao re-booted the setting explanation, but it satisfies on some levels and is reasonably consistent with previous actions.

I agree. I wasn't too thrilled with the "Ao did it" explanation, either. It was literally a deus ex machina. I would have liked more detail, but at least the gods are back, even if certain events are brushed over.

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  14:47:38  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All novel stuff, true, but it was referenced in source material.

Most of the big events of the Realms have been in novels.

I do miss the smaller tales -- it's part of the reason I always suggest Elaine Cunningham and Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak when someone asks about novels.

AMEN!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  01:31:37  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I agree. I wasn't too thrilled with the "Ao did it" explanation, either. It was literally a deus ex machina. I would have liked more detail, but at least the gods are back, even if certain events are brushed over.

in fairness given the sheer damage done by 4th edition a deus ex machina was proably needed. sides 4th edition was created with a DEM, so ending it with a DEM is at least consistant?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  02:06:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. I don't mind Ao's involvement, it's the lack of detail I miss, like what was provided during the Time of Troubles.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000