Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Female Realms Heroes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  17:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This thread spins off a discussion in the FR next thread, wherein it was proposed to write a novel or an anthology about the heroines of the Realms.

I myself proposed an "Elminster's Angels" story, featuring Liriel, Hallivar, and the Fox-at-Twilight, with support from Alias, Kyriani, Storm, and/or Arilyn. Lads need not apply.

What sort of stories would you like to see about the female heroes of the Realms?

Cheers

(Also, no boob plate/chainmail bikini discussions!)

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something involving ancient mulhorandi curses or herbs from Maztica with strange results in order to tell old fans, that even though those realms has disappeared do their lore live on and create opportunities for new adventures
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:18:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I think an anthology would be great, I would have to consider the flip-side: WHY do they need their own anthology? You'd never do an anthology relegated strictly to men (because there is no need for it).

I'd rather they take something important to Realms fans - like a 'search for Mystra' storyline (or something equally problematic and lore-worthy). Treat it just like a regular (male) story, but use all female protagonists (and don't make the antagonists females just because you can - that's a bit too 'cute').

Going the "Elminster's Angels" route sounds too much like doing it just to do it, and I think that might be viewed as a bit condescending down the line. The story should be treated the same way all-male (or mostly male) realms novels are handled. In that way, we will be able to showcase one of the Realms greatest assets - that men and women are equals (or rather, that all folk are equal, regardless of sexuality).

Katie-Bri is a possibility, but she'd never go more then 10 feet away from Drizzt. She's too much of a 'sidekick'.

Lets get some demi-humans on the list. How about Olive Ruskettle? We could use a bard.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Aug 2012 18:21:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:19:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is Hallivar?

I'd also like to see Tzigone, and Asilther Graelor. Elsura Dauniir, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a murder investigation in a pashas harem?
I guess you would need a female hero for that since men would not be allowed access
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:29:13  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a short story that follows Dahlia Sin'felle from her rape by Herzgo Alegni to her early days in Thay. The Haunted Lands painted a wonderfully morbid picture of the realm, and I wonder how a young woman like Dahlia would react to it all. Something that gets into Daliah's head rather than show off Bob's excellent fight scenes. He's got the talent for that kind of stuff-see The Road of the Patriarch or his two series of Corona novels.

I want to know what Dahlia saw in serving Thay.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a daughter of a noblemen wanting to be more than just a marriage piece in her family's quest for wealth and power. She would most likely look for female heroes to help her obtain the future she wants
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:48:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a story or short story featuring Alusair as Steel Regent and the doings of her mother and female supporters at Court.

Show us how they lead, how they fight, how they outwit, how they win and how they fail.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Have Brian Cortijo write it, and have it be the first of several "Ed Greenwood Presents: Cormyr" books.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 30 Aug 2012 18:50:14
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:54:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might as well throw Asper in the mix, I'd like to see what she can do without Mirt around.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  18:57:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bronwyn...

If I had to choose one female character from the realms I want to read more about(who's not currently getting any ink) it would be her.

She could very well lead a group of mostly (or all) females with their fingers in cookie jars all over Waterddep and the coast.

Plus, we'd have to get Elaine to write it

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 30 Aug 2012 18:58:01
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like more Liriel, really. And Tzigone. 1360's or 1370's, obviously. Halruaa in Elaine's hands was a fascinating place, and I think there's plenty that could be done in the rebuilding after Kiva's plot was foiled.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:37:09  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A series of tales about the responses and behind the scenes actions of the various Lords (many of whom, especially of those rarely written about, are female) in Waterdeep during some major travail there (such as the attack from the Sea, Halaster's Higharvestide, the advent of the Spellplague, etc).

That way you have a key place setting, characters both iconic and less so, a chance to flesh out lore about people and events, and a way to write about powerful women (Lord of the City is a pretty good gig, no?) without it seeming like it is JUST about them.

Ed did a fabulous job with his 'Silverfall' stories achieving such a task by telling a linked story.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:46:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like more Alias and Olive Ruskettle, Arilyn, and the Simbul.
1350s or 1360s.

Dove and her joining of the Knights of Myth Drannor, and more of her adventures in the Savage Frontier (her group from the novel Sojourn, why did she never track Roddy McGriddle or whatever for killing her elf friend?)

Edited by - Seravin on 30 Aug 2012 19:46:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:46:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggested Dove over any of the other Chosen just because in her case, her status wouldn't over-shadowed the others. Putting the Simbul in such a novel would turn it into a novel about The Simbul.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'd like to see a story or short story featuring Alusair as Steel Regent and the doings of her mother and female supporters at Court.
Problem is, unless it was set pre-devil dragon, there'd be no way she could join an adventuring group. Setting it during her 'missing' days would be best, for that scenario, but we'd need some sort of realms-wide mystery dating from that period, and I can't think of any (aside from Waukeen being missing, but we already had a module cover that ground).

I love Alusair, but there is only a small window during which she can get away from Cormyr. Now, a separate novel (having nothing to do with the 'Elminster's Angels' storyline) I would love. Cormyr was in pretty bad shape after the death of Azoun, and then we had the Shades, and it seems it just 'bounced back' way too easily. We need more info there (because the Shades should have been able to tear them to pieces at that point in time).

On the other hand, I really want to see folks traveling around 'less covered' regions. Cormyr has really been beaten to death, IMHO. Not that I am not interested in those stories, I just want something new.

I'm not interested in a Calimshan novel, but I think setting one in the Old Empires has traction. I think possibly moving from Calimshan into the other Old Empires might work fairly well (and then the obvious storyline should be centered around harems, taking both Calimshan and Mulhorand into account). Then again, a 'human trafficking' story might be a bit too modern a sentiment for the Realms (not saying it couldn't work - it would just have to be done in such a way as to sound more Realmsish then anything else).

We should have a new protagonist - we need at least one new character. Even if not set in Mulhorand, I think a Mulan priestess would be pretty damn interesting (and she could be the 'frame story' for getting the others together).

And no "Oh Mighty Isis!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Aug 2012 19:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  19:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to co-write an "Alusair meets Fox-at-Twilight" story with Ed. That would be excellent.

I would love to see Brian Cortijo write a story about Princess Raedra. After all, he did create her, and she's pretty awesome.

@MT: Wow, that first post . . . you're really taking this VERY seriously, aren't you? This is supposed to be fun and relaxed.

Likely, WotC wouldn't do an "all-female protagonists" anthology. I mean, I'd love to see it (and hopefully write for it), but probably the editors would want a mix of protagonists. Though one shouldn't say "never"--after all, they did publish Silverfall, didn't they?

@Wooly: Hallivar is a character from Brimstone Angels. She is the sister of Farideh, the other main character. If you haven't read that book, you might check it out. It's pretty awesome.

@Seravin: I actually have an explanation for the Roddy McGristle thing, but I hold out the faint hope that it actually becomes canon, so I won't spill the beans here.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  20:12:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Problem is, unless it was set pre-devil dragon, there'd be no way she could join an adventuring group. Setting it during her 'missing' days would be best, for that scenario, but we'd need some sort of realms-wide mystery dating from that period, and I can't think of any (aside from Waukeen being missing, but we already had a module cover that ground).
Why does Alusair have to join an adventuring group before we can see a story written about her?

Also, why do we need a Realms-wide mystery?

Can't we just focus on all the intrigue, back stabbing and politics at the Royal Court?

To me this represents a new field of battle for Alusair and someplace she'd rather not be in. Just imagine the fireworks between her and Caladnei (hells, her and everyone else) as she learns to adapt, while the ladies of the court do their best to support her and protect her.

It would be fun to read about her later days after her nephew takes over, too, but I'd prefer to read about her and her supporters/foes in Suzail.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  20:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to see an adventure in a royal theater
I imagine, such a place could have secrets tunnels, huge collections of ancient stuff, lots of visiting nobles, guilders etc
Perfect place for intrigues with ancient secrets
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  20:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to read a tale of the famous Harper adventuress Sharanralee, author of Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road and My Years with Blade and Harp, one of those names dropped as far back as the Old Grey Box, referred to in passing half a dozen times since, but on whom the spotlight has not thus far shone.

Talantra Bowgentle and Elsura Dauniir, both of whom Sharanralee helped.

Sylune, with Aumry in Shadowdale.

Azargatha Nimune.

The Deeping Princess and the founding of Deepingdale . . .
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  21:07:13  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* A female version of Drasek Riven.
* Something involving Scullya Darkhope, maybe?
* A story featuring a female deity (avatar).

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  21:41:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LIKE that harem idea! I would make sense to have female protagonists for that, and one could (I'm starting to get some great ideas here) use it along with the idea of Cormyr's royal court as a tie-in for some of the female heroes. Imagine if, say, Storm, Alusair, and a few others became invovled in a kidnapping of a noble's daughter, tracked her to Calimshan, and then get involved in the murder investigation! Perhaps she had a lover who was killed trying to rescue her, or her master was killed while dallying with the harem, and they have to ferret out what happened? This way, it could cover several locales, bring heroines from various areas together plausibly, and be told with all girls, and not seem "token-ish". What do you all think?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Show us how they lead, how they fight, how they outwit, how they win and how they fail.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Have Brian Cortijo write it, and have it be the first of several "Ed Greenwood Presents: Cormyr" books.
I'm supremely flattered, but for me to write a book about Alusair would require permission from Ed that I'm not prepared to seek. Certain Realms characters (El, Luse, Storm, Azoun, etc.) are, in my opinion, entirely Ed's characters, and he'd need to give a full, heartfelt, and unreserved blessing for me to take them on and assume their voices.

That's not to say I haven't written little snippets here or there, which I've shared with Ed and a very few others* (much to the bearded one's giggling delight), but to write a story or book for publication with Alusair as its protagonist? That would be another matter entirely. However...

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
I would love to see Brian Cortijo write a story about Princess Raedra. After all, he did create her, and she's pretty awesome.
Let's just say I have not been asked. Yet.

One day, maybe.

*And no, I can't share these, publicly or privately, I'm afraid. I refuse to step on the works of other authors working in the Realms, or to pre-empt their stories with my own. That's not really something I'm keen on.
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  21:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to see some ancient curses, could be interesting, if it turns out, that there was a deeper reason for the abduction of a noblemans daughter from Cormyr to a Pasha's harem

and for a lore point of view, could it be interesting if Maztican herbs could be used.
The baths in (arabel?)(described in volo's guide) would be an interesting scene for an abduction using strange herbs (inhaled smoke? in the water with a contact effect?) to make people loose consciousness.

Edited by - Gustaveren on 30 Aug 2012 22:16:50
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:04:24  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread needs more Sharantyr, just saying. Loved her in the shadow of the avatar trilogy. I'd like to see Ashemmi explored in some FR fiction as well. There's got to be some interesting tales about her.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:06:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How's this for a diverse cast of would-be leading ladies?

Guenhwyvar needs a complete history, with all of her handlers. Though she spent half of her "life" in the hands of evil drow, it would be nice to read about how she inwardly fought against them, or circumvented their plans, despite their magical authority and control over her.

I always wanted to read more about Dove, too. She was the first human to actually approve of Drizzt, and to stop seeing him as representative of his race. While Montolio took Drizzt in, Dove realized that Drizzt was not the culprit of the attack on the farmer family in Sojourn and called off the search for the drow, determining him to actually be a good guy. She send Montolio a letter approving of the lone dark elf in the region, and Drizzt loved hearing that letter. But I always wanted to read about her and Drizzt meeting in person. In Streams of Silver, Alustriel said that Dove still wanted to meet Drizzt, but we've never been told about that first meeting. It must've been a very heartwarming thing for him to meet her.

The dwarf cleric Stumpet Rakingclaw rose to the rank of High Cleric of the Halls in Mithral Hall; led the dwarven charge into Keeper's Dale to repel the drow invaders once and for all (Siege of Darkness); and was rumored to have more than a casual relationship with King Bruenor for a time (Passage to Dawn). Nevertheless, with her relocation to Icewind Dale with Bruenor, 'twould appear that she was supplanted by Cordio Muffinhead, who remained behind at the Hall under King Gandalug (The Lone Drow). Nothing is ever recorded of Stumpet and Bruenor becoming an item. So did she place duty above love? Did she sacrifice the personal in favor of the professional? While Cordio continued to serve as First Priest of the Hall in 1409 DR (Gauntlgrym), whatever happened of Stumpet? Did she fall in the Spellplague?

Commander Ellery Dragonsbane Peidopare of Damara was once a loyal officer of the Bloodstone Army, with numerous exploits of her own (Promise of the Witch-King). But what motivated her to become a turncoat double-agent for the Citadel of Assassins? What turned this heir of King Gareth Dragonsbane against the Crown? And did she ultimately repent of her sins on her final adventure?

Dwahvel Tiggerwillies, the halfling owner of the Copper Ante in Calimport, was one of the best friends, if not the only true friend, of Artemis Entreri. She inspired him to write a sweet going-away letter in Servant of the Shard, and when he later parted ways with Jarlaxle, it was Dwahvel that Entreri vowed to return to (Road of the Patriarch). What was it about this dimunitive damsel that could so warm the heart of even the coldest of assassins? And whatever happened of the two, upon his return to Calimport?

Catti-brie left Drizzt's side to engage in magic training with Alustriel at the end of The Orc King (mid-1372 DR), and by the time of The Pirate King (1376 DR), she had been gone for quite a while. And while Cat traveled with Drizzt to a Silverymoon council after the onset of the Spellplague in 1385 DR (The Ghost King), it's still possible that she spent most of her time away from her husband, doing magic stuff. There ought to be some good stuff that could be written about that period.

The feisty half-wood elf/half-drow Zhai (Demon Stone) apparently left the Moonwood and relocated to the Bloodstone Lands, where she was building a reputation for herself (Promise of the Witch-King), but eventually was captured and then rescued, and even met Drizzt. What else is there, with her?

The monk Danica Bonaduce had to take her children away from the wreck of the Spirit Soaring cathedral and relocate to Mithral Hall, and from there, probably to Silverymoon (The Ghost King). How did she recover from the tragic loss of her beloved, Cadderly, and what did go to do after all of that? What is a successful life for a female monk?

The elf Innovindil claimed to have had a human lover before her husband Tarathiel, and went on to teach Drizzt what it really means to be a long-lived person like an elf. She died valiantly defending the Moonwood from orcs of Clan Karuck (The Orc King). What else could we learn of her?

Jessa Dribble-Obould was one of four orc ambassadors to Mithral Hall in 1409 DR (Gauntlgrym), and actually resided within the Hall. She appears to have been quite good at evading her battlerager escort. And somehow, she sufficiently gained enough of King Bruenor's trust to be let in on his plan to abdicate the throne by faking his own death. And then she left Mithral Hall as part of his secret adventuring party when he began his new life as Bonnego Battleaxe. What uncommon courage did this orc lass possess to willingly go in to live amongst unwelcoming dwarves? And how on Toril did she convince a reluctant dwarf king to let her in to his inner circle?

Taugmaelle was the orcish bride-to-be in the Prelude to The Orc King, set to marry a human man c. 1472 DR. But because relations between the Kingdom of Many-Arrows and Luruar broke down sometime between then and the onset of 4E (1479 DR), I have theorized that perhaps the wedding did not go off as planned, and the orc lady may have been killed by Casa Cu Calas instigators, ending the century's unsteady peace between the orcs and their neigbors. What kind of bravery must Taugmaelle have had to have gathered up in order consider and embrace marrying a human, and then to convince her family (presuming she ever did), and then to secure the blessing of King Obould XV ("VI")? Even before her hypothetical race murder, what sort of hardships did she face? And what was it about her that inspired her groom-to-be, Handel Aviv, to choose her over a fellow human?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 30 Aug 2012 22:54:59
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about the THREE (or arguably FOUR) major female characters in my forthcoming novel (Shadowbane: Eye of Justice) and realized they played a pretty big role in that book. Poor Kalen, always marginalized by the ladies.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I LIKE that harem idea! I would make sense to have female protagonists for that

A book with a harem clad girl on the front cover will appeal to male readers and female readers will appreciate it is female heroes.

Well, the book could have female heroes plus a male hero there would have a choice to make. He would have to polymorph via magic into a female body if he want to enter the harem. That could create some hilarious situations.

or the man there had polymorhed into a female body in order to sneak into the harem could be part of the reason there was a mystery in the harem. It could for instance be a wizard there wanted to mess with the inheritance.

Edited by - Gustaveren on 30 Aug 2012 22:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally would like a 4 part series (such as the Fighters and the Priests series) not bound by era, as well as an accompanying anthology of short fiction. Hmm, as to which heroines I would like to get spot-lighted, I will have to get back to you on that.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  22:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to seem like I'm picking on anyone in particular, but I confess I'm a bit concerned about this whole emphasis on harems. Writing about a harem can too easily come off as kitschy and extremely misogynist. Doesn't mean it can't be handled correctly--just that it's a live grenade.

I rather think a more respectful way to do harems is to have them contain both male and female "wives," but that's crossing into the Diversity in the Realms thread.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  23:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I personally would like a 4 part series (such as the Fighters and the Priests series) not bound by era, as well as an accompanying anthology of short fiction. Hmm, as to which heroines I would like to get spot-lighted, I will have to get back to you on that.
I like that concept. It doesn't even have to be a clearly themed series, it's just that all the books happen to feature a strong female protagonist. (Didn't the Dungeons come fairly close to that already?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  23:00:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A book that has Lieriel and foxxie at twilight..... I'd read it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  23:05:37  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Who is Hallivar?

I'd also like to see Tzigone, and Asilther Graelor. Elsura Dauniir, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
@Wooly: Hallivar is a character from Brimstone Angels. She is the sister of Farideh, the other main character. If you haven't read that book, you might check it out. It's pretty awesome.

Appreciate the inclusion, but I must point out her name's Havilar. Also, I can't shake the feeling that Howlin' Mad Murdock is a better TV character to compare her too. Except, you know, female and with better legs.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000