Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Which game do you use to run the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  06:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Thought it'd be interesting to see what people prefer to use when running their Realms. If it's a hodgepodge of systems try to vote on what it's closest to. If it's not a D&D game let us know what you're using.

Choices:

OD&D (also S&W, LL, DD, BFRPG etc)
AD&D (also OSRIC etc)
AD&D2e (also Myth & Magic etc)
Castles & Crusades
3e/3.5/PF
4e
Non D&D (WoD, L5R, WHFRP etc)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Ozreth on 27 Oct 2011 06:20:57

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  08:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder, as I feel it captures more of the overall feel of the system and gives players more freedom in character creation and story build.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  08:40:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's easiest just for me to say that if there's an official rules-set for an RPG, tabletop wargame, collectable card-game, video game, or whatever, sitting on my many shelves groaning under the weight of practically everything gaming-related I've purchased over the last thirty-years, at home, then it's probably likely that at one time or another, I've either borrowed, tinkered, or stolen outright from the rules elements of these systems and incorporated them into my own hodge-podge gaming rules-set.

It's the rules system I've felt most effectively achieves the style of campaign I want for my Realms games.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  08:48:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Sage, but not so many different games, probably AD&D 10 %, 4E 10 %, the rest is 3.5, Pathfinder, Arcana Evolved and some houserules to bind them together.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  14:08:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I've used multiple editions of D&D to play in the Realms, I feel 4E is the best way for me to convey the story I want to tell to my players and how they interact with the campaign world. I don't, however, have problems using other editions as I greatly enjoyed v3.5 and Pathfinder too.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  14:12:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2nd Ed all the way baby!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  15:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder, along with some WotC and third-party 3.5 rules (mostly for magic items and PrC's) to suppliment where the basic Pathfinder book didn't go.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  06:47:53  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2E.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  08:27:44  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly AD&D 2E, with some modifications (the Players' Options books, some things from OD&D, AD&D, and 3E; in particular switching the whole rolls system to Difficulty Class based rolls).
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:54:46  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Modified Microlite...
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  15:54:37  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2ED, I'm old school like that and my favorite products are all 2nd edition.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder as well. =)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  06:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's looking exactly like I expected so far with mostly 2e and 3.x ha. I'm a 3e man myself but am looking to start running with Castles & Crusades. It's got 3e's streamlining with 2e's simplicity and flavor. Good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  10:02:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C&C for me, although as i have treated myself to Swords and Wizardry Complete I might start up a side campaign using S&W for the current PC's henchmen and see how it plays out

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  14:59:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

It's looking exactly like I expected so far with mostly 2e and 3.x ha. I'm a 3e man myself but am looking to start running with Castles & Crusades. It's got 3e's streamlining with 2e's simplicity and flavor. Good stuff.

The results are interesting, but the numbers are still too small to draw any real conclusions.

I'd also love to see a breakdown between players of 3.x and Pathfinder -- I wonder if people are playing one ruleset or mixing the two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  17:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

C&C for me, although as i have treated myself to Swords and Wizardry Complete I might start up a side campaign using S&W for the current PC's henchmen and see how it plays out

Cheers

Damian

How are you liking S&W compared to C&C? Pretty different games I know, but still...I've considered looking into it but am too intrigued by C&C at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  17:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also I should have put this in the general FR chat and considered what people prefer to play in as well, not just run. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  18:33:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd also love to see a breakdown between players of 3.x and Pathfinder -- I wonder if people are playing one ruleset or mixing the two.

While I've not DM'ed Pathfinder, we have played it in our group. Our DM for Pathfinder has a really fun campaign going that we visit every so often and he allows most elements of v3.5 into the game. My character, for example, has Pathfinder elements (Swashbuckler class, Rogue class, talents and so forth) as well as v3.5 elements (Swordsage class, maneuvers, stancs, feats, magical items) but it has been pretty seemless in terms of the differences. Skills were easily transferred over and I even had more to utilize over all.

Gameplay is about the same but certain aspects are easier like using the Combat Maneuver system instead of Grapple vs. Str-check or a check with varying conditions depending on roll (like missing the DC by more than X has a worse effect, which I hated).

Classes also seem a bit stronger overall, though I don't think this increase is enough to even the caster vs. non-caster disparity that exists within that system. It's a step in the right direction though.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  20:01:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in the pathfinder concept, but I've yet to use it. However, I really liked what they did with 3.5. It was getting a little out of hand near the end comparing those prestige classes to earlier prestige classes, but I must admit, I liked it when they came out with the additional "core" classes that made sense (wu-jen, warmage, dread necro, beguiler, warlock, binder, etc...). I just wish they would have put more thought into some of the other "core" classes they came out with like the truenamer, shadowcaster, the incarnum classes, the psionic classes from complete psionic, etc..... some of these were great concepts, but the rules were broken... others the concept needed some better background, but the rules were pretty good.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  23:56:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth
How are you liking S&W compared to C&C? Pretty different games I know, but still...I've considered looking into it but am too intrigued by C&C at the moment.

C&C is my preference at the minute, it combines the best of the OGL (ascending AC's etc ) with enough variety in the classes to make each interesting, and the siege check system is both simple and elegant at the same time.

I have not yet ran S&W, but it looks great and reads well - it is certainly something that would be easy to pick up and run at short notice for folks who wanted a quick one-off game, and definately one for introducing new and/or young players to D&D - very simple with single saving throws and ascending AC's and to hits - they have done a great job of capturing 0E, but with added sidebars of how to fit it into the OGL ruleset if you want to.

Cheers

Damian
ps for those in europe, you can buy the S&W complete here http://www.lotfp.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=13&product_id=77

excellent service! ordered mine on a sunday night and got it by thursday morning

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 29 Oct 2011 23:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  09:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I havent played the realms for years, makes me sad, last I played was with pathfinder and was not in the realms. However my main realms rules set was 2ed I was to young and not even born on previous versions. I have played realms with gurps too for while. In brasil it took ages for us to get translated book so for ages and ages we only had the core books and hand full of book for faerun. Then I learned english ;) if I were to play again, which I very much hope so, I would play pathfinder or 4ed to see what it is all about. Other then that I wish they came up with a proper expansive mmo for faerun set ages in the past there is so much history in there they would have enough expansions that not even wow could match. I am still waiting for that mmo.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  11:33:55  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the Sources I use are from 2nd Ed. But from a Rules perspective I find PF most appealing, with adds from 3/3.5 realms sourcebooks like Spells, Feats, Races and Regions.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  00:43:28  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently in a 4e game, but I love AD&D 2e and 3.5.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  01:34:29  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played the majority of my Realms games (and games in general) in 3e/3.5e, though I started in 2e and had some of my best games and favorite characters in that edition.

I liked the relative simplicity of 2e to later editions of D&D. The retroclone/OSR concept piqued my interest. Is there a definitive and widely available 2e retroclone out there that smooths over some of the more clunky aspects of 2e (I'm looking at you THAC0) and maybe introduces a few of the "progressive" aspects of later editions (where other classes had some abilities to look forward to at higher levels, besides spellcasters)?
Go to Top of Page

LordManshoon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  03:28:27  Show Profile Send LordManshoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently using 4E, and loving the game I've got going. Most of my experience came with 3E/3.5, and I recall those games quite fondly, but when my group gave 4E a whirl, we found it was to our liking.

Mastering myriad magics since Ed was young
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  04:35:40  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2e, heavily house ruled to taste, but the core will always be 2e.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  04:49:12  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e and my favorite parts of 3e lore, with Pathfinder and occasionally 2e for the system when I run the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  05:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

I've played the majority of my Realms games (and games in general) in 3e/3.5e, though I started in 2e and had some of my best games and favorite characters in that edition.

I liked the relative simplicity of 2e to later editions of D&D. The retroclone/OSR concept piqued my interest. Is there a definitive and widely available 2e retroclone out there that smooths over some of the more clunky aspects of 2e (I'm looking at you THAC0) and maybe introduces a few of the "progressive" aspects of later editions (where other classes had some abilities to look forward to at higher levels, besides spellcasters)?

Castles & Crusades is for you my friend. It is mostly AD&D (spells, flavor, xp gain, classes, items, no minis/maps needed, speed of battle, no skills or feats etc) with the nice parts of 3e (ascending AC, all classes get nice abilities as they level, d20 mechanic for almost everything, none of that different systems for different classes stuff...)

It's a very elegant/flexible system, yet pulls off being more rules light than most anything else. It is nearly %100 compatible with any D&D product from Basic up through 3.5 which is awesome because every sourcebook/module you've owned is still completely useable with little to no work (the only thing at all that you have to change for AD&D material is inverting the AC, which is as simple as subtracting the AD&D from 20).

It's run by two guys out of a small office and they do a magnificent job writing, printing, and distributing the books.

I did a review of the PHB awhile back: http://yeoldeblog.net/2011/06/01/review-castles-crusades-players-handbook/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  15:19:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Sage, my own hybrid system, which is is ever-evolving, but based on whatever edition is the latest iteration of D&D (until 4th). I use tables and charts from dozens of other games though (for instance, Aftermath had a hit-location system that was the best I've ever seen).

At this point, I decided to break-away from 'based on' and create my own system, using all the best parts of systems I liked (which isn't nearly as easy as it sounds). Since the fire I lost all my notes (including everything on my campaign world ), so it will be awhile before I can even think about working on it again. I am still toying with a race-based system, rather then class-based, because I feel it is more realistic. Being defined by your 'job' never sat right with me (and this harkens back to OD&D). However, by creating three different tiers of feats I can simulate both without any sort of character class system and without the other usual alternative of a point-based open system.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Monte Cook is looking for any help with 5e?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Nov 2011 15:21:27
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  01:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use GURPS 4e.

Much better fit than any version of D&D I've tried, and I've tried D&D Basic and Expert, AD&D, AD&D with Players' Option, D&D 3.0 and D&D 3.5.

I decided against trying D&D 4.0, given that what I saw of the pre-release materials appeared to suggest a game aimed at a very different market than me and anyone who games with me. Exploring the published books at the FLGS appears to bear this out.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  08:05:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2E but with the feat and skill systems of 3.5/Pathfinder. I much prefer flexibility in my campaigns so I have my own variations on the classes and other rules.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000