Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [3E] need help designing high-level adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  15:13:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So our goup hasn't played in a while due to conflicting schedules and I'm lucky to get 2-3 people there (which includes myself and my wife) a week so I'm doing a high-level campaign involving 2 PCs and 1 DMPC that takes place in the Border Kingdoms, south of the Lake of Steam. The group (17th level) is comprised of a Sorcerer/Hathran (my wife), Fighter/Tempest (DMPC), and a Cleric of Lathander (my friend). Some backround is that the PCs were in a different campaign in which we saved this city (now placed in the Border Kingdoms) and the DMPC is the "King" (no real heirarchy is established and he keeps order but little else in the town) though he's not happy about being forced into a passive role. The Sorcerer/Hathran is there as a royal-mage role and oversees any magical dealing, teaching, and the like that goes on.

There is an antagonist, a once-thought-dead half-dragon Warlock/Wizard/Eldritch Theurge that controlled the town prior to the PCs coming in and defeating him. His machinations were pretty much unknown. When he was threatened, he summoned some power demons to dispatch the PCs but was thwarted. He then was pulled into another dimension (later found out it was the Barrens of Doom and Dispare) becuase of a Pact gone wrong.

So basically I need help in making viable threats to a city with 17th-level PCs that easily deal with single CR 16 in 2-3 rounds and powerful items at their disposal (I gave them Wealth-by-Level).

Again, the setting is the Lake of Steam, Border Kingdoms on Faerūn. The Hathran is from Rasheman, the "King" is an exiled noble from Impiltur, and the newly emerged cleric of Lathander is from Waterdeep. His main mission is to learn more about the Risen Sun Heretics and find the fabled Rod of Lathander (item from the Waterdeep book) said to be in the surrounding area.

I need plots (preferrable multiple ones), ideas on what threats are viable for PCs of high levels, and some how intertwine them with the setting. Of course, your help is always appreciated guys and much Thanks in advance.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  15:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to attack indirectly. The warlock already tried the direct route, and that didn't work, so think laterally. They're ruling a kingdom, right? Make their lives miserable. What does the kingdom export? Have its caravans vanish without a trace. What does it import? Have its neighbors raise prices, or stop trading altogether.

Spread rumors in the neighboring states painting the new rulers in a bad light. You say fiends were summoned in the battle? Blame the PC's for summoning them. Then see if you can't get the neighbors to act against the PC kingdom. This is especially effective if the neighboring kingdoms are ruled by good people, which makes your PC's reluctant to just squash them.

Teleport monsters in to attack the populace. Trolls, hydras, wyverns, and medium-sized dragons aren't much threat to the PC's but they'll lay waste to the kingdom if they aren't stopped, which will force the PC's to be constantly running around monster-slaying rather than dealing with all the other fires the warlock is starting.

There's a major drow city near by (Gualidurth) with a history of going to war with the surface. Have the warlock suggest to some of the more ambitious drow houses or slaving rings that the kingdom is a nice place for raiding. Now the PC's are defending night and day from attacks both above and below.

And to top it all off, after you've had them stewing in chaos for several months, have the warlock tell the common folk that all this is due to their new overlords, and if they get rid of them, everything will stop. The PC's might find themselves evicted by their own people.

And who knows? The warlock might even be telling the truth. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 09 Nov 2011 15:10:36
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  16:07:39  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The beholders are influential around the Lake of Steam, and influence the humanoid population via 'Eye' cults. Perhaps an Eye cult starts up within the town. Rooting out the cult could lead to a lot of intrigue (which sets up roleplaying challenges irrespective of level), particularly when PC allies and good-standing members of the town become involved at the Cult. Later on, the PCs can square off against the beholders themselves - encounters with multiple beholders can offer quite a challenge (plus there are lots of variants to throw into the mix).

If memory serves, the information about the Eye cults can be found in 2e Calimshan sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  04:40:56  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest addig yuan-ti to the mix. A n anathema is a pretty awesome threat, and they are active in the region.
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  07:21:53  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The drow city of Maerimydra is located just beneath the Dale Lands…

For plots: You could think of some plane-related adventure. Have the Warlock pose a trap and the PCs walking in, being teleported to some layer of hell/abyss/whateveryoulike. While they fight their way out of that mess (with some really high-level encounters you don't have to explain much), the Warlock can do as he pleases in the kingdom (maybe leaving the PCs for dead). Maybe time flows slower on the PC's plane, than on the material plane, providing the Warlock with additional time to achieve his evil goals…

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  13:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack, good point. I meant Gualidurth, which is a far larger and scarier place than Maerimydra.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  14:15:32  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What dragontype was this halfdragon? He could try to assert some of his leverage with his draconic family, perhaps a cult like the Morueme clan. the half-hobgoblin half blue dragon clan that craves for domination on all fronts, albeit political, economic or martial (read about them in Dragons of Fearun).

You can add incentive for the players to get involved by having the things they seek or require be in possession of (the) antagonist(s). The morninglords' cleric might want to seek a long lost temple of Aumanator currently taken over by Shadows of Shar in a remote location. The Hathran might need a legendary staff (made from a primordial tree) to perform a warding ritual on their home capital. The King might have need of the original heirloom crown that's traditionally placed on the brow of the ruler of the land, but that the warlock still bears.

As Hoondatha indicated, the political situation in the Border Kingdoms is also perfect for an intrigue or war campaign. There are certain mysterious figureheads leading some shady kingdoms who'd not shy away from some bloodshed to expand their current lands.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  12:30:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

What dragontype was this halfdragon? He could try to assert some of his leverage with his draconic family, perhaps a cult like the Morueme clan. the half-hobgoblin half blue dragon clan that craves for domination on all fronts, albeit political, economic or martial (read about them in Dragons of Fearun).

Would you believe me if I said he was a Half-silver dragon? It was a strange PC concept (where the character took off from) but converted to an NPC when the DM started his Campaign.

quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

You can add incentive for the players to get involved by having the things they seek or require be in possession of (the) antagonist(s). The morninglords' cleric might want to seek a long lost temple of Aumanator currently taken over by Shadows of Shar in a remote location. The Hathran might need a legendary staff (made from a primordial tree) to perform a warding ritual on their home capital. The King might have need of the original heirloom crown that's traditionally placed on the brow of the ruler of the land, but that the warlock still bears.

As Hoondatha indicated, the political situation in the Border Kingdoms is also perfect for an intrigue or war campaign. There are certain mysterious figureheads leading some shady kingdoms who'd not shy away from some bloodshed to expand their current lands.

Agreed. Thanks to everyone who gave me great suggestions, I might incorporate most of them into the campaign. I like the idea of Darkmoore influencing other kingdoms to attack the city and the Drow idea is definitly a good one.

In addition to that, MalariaMoon also suggested some Beholder problems and we even faced one in the previous adventure so some plot hooks can be made of that as well. The beholder in the previous adventur was using a sort of Mind-Controll on a dwarven king who we help liberate and destroyed the beholder controller. Maybe some of the beholder's kin want retribution?

MisterX also came up with some great ideas when the PCs pass into the level 20+ range and It's something I'll definitly use later in the adventure. I have a few ideas to pull them into such a situation.

Again, thanks a bunch for the awesome ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  04:31:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the adventure is really coming along and the PCs (both of them) don't really know what to expect. After defeating a Nightshade, summoned by Darkmoore in the poorest parts of town, the PCs were assaulted by an angry populace to see the kingdom safe again. Not a few hours later the next morning the King (my PC) is awoken by troubling news of a prominent farm that the city uses to keep much of the populace fed.

The PCs teleport there to be attacked by a Twelve-headed Pyro-Hydra (summoned the night before by none other than the elusive Darkmoore) but it's quickly dispatced by the Hathran/Sorceress's Glasstrike spell. They soon come upon a grazing field littered with slaughtered Cow and oxen. The attacker is a Marut, forced to do this deed by a rare and powerful amulet strapped to his neck. Attempts to dispel the amulet prove unsuccessful (can't get past his SR 25) so the cleric of Lathander dismisses the creature back to his home-plane in hopes of them stopping the device. During the battle, the Marut is honest with the PCs and tell them that he was trapped by the cursed Darkmoore and forced to attack living creatures in sight with the amulet of vile power.

Hopefully this has instilled a sense of urgency within the other players and a desire to stop the villian at any cost. Though, as Hoondatha stated, it's proving difficult when they're called to stop every squeaky wheel and are blind to the slow machinations of Darkmoore and his soon to be Drow allies that await his call for a night-raid on the city.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  13:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great start. Don't let them catch their breath!

On a somewhat related note, there was an article in Dragon way back in 1e called something like, "Meanwhile, back on the fief..." that detailed essentially random encounters for player strongholds. Most of them are setting-agnositic, so you might want to check out the Dragondex to figure out which issue it was and see if it's of any help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000