Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Druid shapechanging into components
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  21:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my players just obtained her 5th level as a druid and has been waiting to explore the new and wondrous world of being a variety of creatures. They are on an island, plagued by the undead, sheltering themselves in an old keep and she wants to become a cow so she can supply her companions with milk. Questiosn arose. Can she shapechange into a Sheep, be sheared for wool, then use the wool to make clothes? Anyone had any other druids bring up similar questions?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  21:43:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

One of my players just obtained her 5th level as a druid and has been waiting to explore the new and wondrous world of being a variety of creatures. They are on an island, plagued by the undead, sheltering themselves in an old keep and she wants to become a cow so she can supply her companions with milk. Questiosn arose. Can she shapechange into a Sheep, be sheared for wool, then use the wool to make clothes? Anyone had any other druids bring up similar questions?

The people i have played with usually tend to focus on treasure, equipment, spells, experience. Suckling each other for milk never came up.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  23:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd allow her to shapechange into a cow -- but unless she had a reason to be lactating, she'd not produce milk. Pretty sure that works the same way in cows as it does in humans and most other mammals.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  00:04:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd allow her to shapechange into a cow -- but unless she had a reason to be lactating, she'd not produce milk. Pretty sure that works the same way in cows as it does in humans and most other mammals.

I'd rule the same WR.

I like the sheep one though, can't see an issue with being sheared and making clothes from the wool, clever players should be rewarded with a massive YES at this point

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  00:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that PCs could cut their hair and attempt to weave uncomfortable hair shirts from it, I can see no logical reason for preventing Shapeshifting druids from doing the same in their animal form.

Mind you, the GM would have to decide on a consistent answer for if hair regenerates between shapes and why or why not, this happens. Does a completely bald man change into a hairless bear or does he become a regular old hairy one? If the PC in sheep form is shorn, does he appear hairless in his human form? What about the next day, can he assume the shape of a wooly sheep again or is he limited to a closely shorn shape?

Answers will have an impact on the economics of farming in the Realms. If a simple change in shape is enough to magically regenerate a year of wool production, a mid-level druid can have a major impact on the productivity of caprids.

This may not seem like much, but certain types of luxury wool would become much cheaper.

For my games, I find it best to assume that magical means can massively improve the yield of traditional farming methods and that they are relatively commonly used. This is the reason for why the Realms are as they are and not anything like the historical acricultural societies that pseudo-scholars often assume they resemble.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  00:41:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though, going off on a somewhat alternate tangent, I do like the idea of the druid perhaps ingesting some potion of illusion that allows the appearance of a lactating cow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000