Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were a troglodyte?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

If you were a troglodyte and stank to high heaven, and your lair was being invaded by ten assorted adventurers of 5th to 8th level, what tricks might you employ to ruin their day?

There a number of boiling mud pools heated geothermally dotted around the cave complex that serves as home, and your tribe also includes a small number of tren and gaunds.

Ideas welcome, and may well be put to lethal use!

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  16:41:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking put on a dress and lipstick and when the most horny adventurers comes up for a smooch, gas 'em.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  21:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd break it into a choreographed song and dance number, dristracting the adventurers long enough for my tribesmen to sneak behind them, push them into the mud pools, and jab at them with spears.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  22:26:27  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For one, if you have a whole tribe of stinky lizards living in the caves, the whole place will stink, so I don't think the stench matters much. However, they could use the mud to cover themselves and hide, blend in with the cave walls. Then they could have some kind of fairly obvious trap, like a collapsible bridge over one of the boiling pools that's near what looks like a place the adventurers want to go. They could even use some of the tribe or smaller lizardmen to tease and taunt the adventurers like they're trying to make them fall for it. "How stupid do they think we are?" It would need to be in a section of caves that's a little higher than other places. The adventurers easily disarm the "trap," but you know people rarely look up, especially in a cave. So then the rest of the tribe who is hidden above on small ledges attacks with spears or maybe even has some large boulders to squash them. Just a thought.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  23:06:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have them use primitive "shovels" to scoop huge bowls of boiling mud and throw it as grenade weapons. Even with a miss, you could rule that an effective "grease spell" effect is in place wherever the mud hits.

I've used that before, it is fun to watch uber amounts of mud really mess up a party's big ideas simply because they can't move.

I like the hiding on ledges above thing...and they could have a huge pillar they could push over on a bridge that IS SAFE; but would crumble beneath the pillar and throw the party into boiling mud!

Using lassos from across a mud pit, making them safe from charges, and then pulling smaller/weaker party members through the mud would be good too.

Swinging spiky rocks are fun...

Crusted over "cubby holes" are a good way for the Trogs to pop up out of the ground, or from seemingly solid walls. Having hidden halls behind walls of dried mud would allow the Trogs to ambush the back of the party and throw less physical characters down chutes into the boiling mud...or the maw of some nasty monster.

For me, the Mud would be a major player. You could even throw mud balls at the party...that break and release stinging scorpions or even green slime! Basically mud corked mud vials filled with green slime that has been carefully scooped into them. Such an attack works really well against PCs the Trogs know are hard to hit because of heavy armor or something...Touch AC at range is the friend of a lower HD creature against a powerful party tank!

Last, but certainly not least: at a very critical area you could have a bellows operated boiling mud pump that could shoot LOTS of boiling hot mud all over the party...sort of like a muddy flame-thrower! The party would basically be faced with an AoE that did considerable damage each round it wasn't stopped, and then even more damage over time even if the pump is stopped...not to mention the ever present GREASE effect (possibly something even similar to Sleet Storm).

Basically the Trogs have an ever bountiful supply of boiling oil...with the added bonus of it being laying around everywhere! Pour it on them, sink them in it, heck...force feed it to them! LOL

Your Trogs should carry spears that have a primitive bowl attached to the back of the thing that enables them to have a limitless supply of boiling mud bombs to throw at close range...or even a seperate tool for just that.

Have fun!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  23:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of spiked rocks swinging, I'm reminded of punji(probably spelt that wrong) sticks. Bamboo spikes that would be tipped in feces, so any wounds they made would suffer infection and likely lead to death. They'd be set up in spike pits or fixed to mudballs that would be swung from trees. I'd imagine many "primitive" races might use similar tactics. Not necessarily with bamboo, but any sharp stick'll get the job done.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  23:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the more unfortunately named D&D races, given the origin of the term in prejudicial Greek and Roman geographies.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  23:20:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

One of the more unfortunately named D&D races, given the origin of the term in prejudicial Greek and Roman geographies.

No kidding right!

But still one of my favorite D&D "low tier" monsters! Almost all the ideas the OP got from me were ones that I've used before...minus the punji sticks! I'll have to try that one out too!

The ground might seem very solid, but "crack!" down comes the floor when the trogs pull the supports from under it and the party slides down a chute onto punji sticks...and a slithering monster to the side!

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  01:12:08  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe a trick from a 1st edition adventure was to have the trogs throw clay pots that had poisonous snakes in them at the players.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  05:34:21  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gentlefolk, the inventive depravity of your minds never ceases to make me smile. You’ve provided some great ideas I can utilize, although I might have to bypass Sleyvas’ troglodyte priestess of Sune notion for now. Dalor has given me a wealth of nasty little tricks, I particularly like the modified spears with the mud flinging bowl at one end. I think they’ll be standard issue for this particular tribe. The boiling mud flame thrower might be a little beyond their technical abilities, I’ll have to save that for some other foes. And there’ll definitely be hurling all manner of hardened mud grenades containing green slimes, snakes, scorpions and anything else they can muster up. Given we’re in the Underdark, the ‘punji’ sticks will be replaced by sharpened stalagmites, or even puffball mushrooms when the unfortunate adventurers land on them.
Many thanks to all!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  06:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Replacing them with stalagmites is smart; so long as it's something sharp enough to pierce flesh and get the dung into the bloodstream, it'll get the job done.

That being said I'm sure I've seen artwork of trogs using wooden spears before, which does raise questions...

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  22:06:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it all turns out! I'm excited! LOL

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  04:28:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The puffballs might not be all that effective, BTW. Puffballs are actually an edible shroomie..... Not much of a threat.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  06:09:35  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been of the opinion there's a fungus for everything down in the Underdark. So maybe the wooden spears that Chosen of Asmodeus has seen are actually carved from a very durable strain of mushroom. Indeed, some of the troglodytes we've been discussing fashion crude shields from the caps of large mushrooms.

As for puffballs, I'm sure the Realms contains many strains, some edible and harmless, others which release clouds of deadly, choking spores and others whose spores are largely harmless, but do leave an unattractive purple rash on exposed skin for several tendays.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  06:37:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, I was just mentioning it because I happen to hunt down wild ones on occasion to cook with some of my meals. Yes, I eat wild mushrooms- I like to live dangerously that way, lol! Kidding. I only munch the puffballs cause I KNOW they're safe. Nearly all of them are edible at least until they mature. They only turn inedible when they change color just before the spores burst out. Otherwise, quite good eating! (Taste very delicate and spongy compared to table shroomies when sauteed in a bit of olive oil....)

Realms puffballs might cause fits of sneezing or watery eyes, but unlikely to be deadly- unless they hide a violet fungus or two in their midst..... Hmm, I'm also suddenly getting an idea for a carnivorous version of the fungus men or campestris for the realms. Or perhaps a mushroom that opens up its cap when disturbed and reveals tendrils that dig in and digest prey from the inside? Could be a nasty surprise for anyone falling into a pit of them.

As for traps, I'd like to add one- it's simple yet very nasty- a "hanged man" in a wooded clearing (or anywhere it can be strung up from something like a noose) that is actually a stuffed dummy disguised to look like a corpse using illusions, that releases toxic gases when anyone tries to pull it down or otherwise disturb it. When the PC's investigate it, perhaps there is a note attached, making them want to read it and/or pull the dummy down- and then PRESTO! Instant gas-trap. As long as it looks like it was put there as a warning to others, or as a punishment, they should fall for it.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  07:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, if it's in the underdark, it's trying to kill you.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  09:51:58  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One Underdark strain of puffball could release biolumescent spores, which glow like faerie fire. Although not dangerous to living creatures, the tenacious spores fix themselves to skin, fur, clothing or armour and are very difficult to wash off. In the blackness of the Underdark, a creature that has come into contact with these puffballs is suddenly very noticeable; an easy target for predators. They get killed or eaten quickly! This, of course, helps the puffball, as the spores can absorb the nutrients from the corpse (if slain) or the dung (if consumed) as they grow.

Hmmm, I'll have to get my sourcebook proposal "Fungi of the Southern Underdark of the Forgotten Realms" in to Wizards of the Coast. It's a surefire bestseller.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  11:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a google search and yea, there's definately some artwork of trogs with a spear and an axe, tip and head made out of of stone and handles made out of wood, respectively. Oddly, it also had forged metal plates on, and while I suppose that could be salvaged, seemed fitted for it.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  09:57:36  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is how it turned out, as taken directly from the campaign journal. The 'Witchwolves' referred to are the Witchwolves of Threskel, an adventuring company of ten members. They are currently employed by the settlement of Golden Greaves, a small 'gold-rush' town located on the River of Metals, in the shadow of the Riders to the Sky mountain range. A gold mine dug by one of the prospectors has broken through into the Underdark, and the Witchwolves are exploring ...

2: Riseus’ Folly (the first foray below)
On many occasions I have seen that rugged men, whether they make their living selling their swords or scraping gold from the earth, are as avid gossips as any fishwife. So it was that news of the shaft that Riseus Peylloros had sunk into the skirts of the mountain was quickly known to every soul in Golden Greaves. The townsfolk were much humoured by their Lord Arcis’ acquisition of it, and the gold mine was swiftly known as Riseus’ Folly.
The Witchwolves continued their adventures exploring the extent of the caverns. The ghostwise halflings of the Methwood have many fey powers, including the ability to speak directly into a man’s head without a movement of their lips and a strange kinship with animals. So it was that Fengal began their investigations by befriending a trio of bats and sending them fluttering into the depths. Oghma knows how he could understand their squeaking, but from his unlikely friends Fengal was able to glean that the caves extended in three separate complexes. The adventurers began their mission by venturing into the eastern complex.
This wing of the caves was largely occupied by a mixed tribe of troglodytes and tren. The Witchwolves spent most of the day of Alturiak 17th battling these vile-smelling, chameleon-like humanoids. The tribe was also allied to a small pack of gaunds, three-orbed reptilians who could blast of a magical ray from their central eye capable of cooking an armoured man in his plate mail. On the margins of their territory, the troglodytes were also guarded by rare beasts known as khaemellors; crocodlile-sized, thick-skinned chameleons who could ensnare their prey in a pair of tongue-whips twice the length of their body. The Witchwolves slew one khaemellor and drove off another after being surprised by the beasts, which sport crests of huge, camouflaged spikes on their spines which closely resemble stalagmites.
Shortly after they came across an unidentified shrine to a mysterious god, identified by a sigil formed of four interlocking circles of silver ore.
Beyond this shrine they entered a large cavern dominated by a copse of giant mushrooms. Two of these toadstools were the wailing variety known as shriekers; the adventurers ventured too near and triggered their piercing keen, which in turn alerted the troglodytes to intruders.
The first skirmish with the troglodytes occurred there in the mushroom grove. The Witchwolves were ambushed by a barrage of clay balls, which shattered easily to release corrosive green slime, plus swarms of snakes, scorpions and centipedes. The more nimble adventurers escaped by climbing out of harm’s way atop the wide caps of the toadstools, but Joreth was sorely wounded. Cyd, Mera, Daerth and Tharxes fended off the swarms, and those above them quickly found their elevated position made them prime targets for troglodyte javelins.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  09:59:51  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Continued ...

Mera called upon Lathander’s sunfire to burn an escape route through the crawling tide of vermin, and the ambushing troglodytes fled following a brief javelin duel with Gorik, Fengal and Ventias.

As the Witchwolves delved deeper underground, they found the troglodytes warrens were also riddled with geothermal springs, about which pits of boiling mud bubbled away. The troglodytes had an ingenious use for these mud pits; they had modified their crude spears so that the butt flared into a ladle. They would dip these ladles into the boiling vats and hurl gobs of superheated mud at their foes.
The Witchwolves received a lesson in this technique in one large cavern bisected by a deep gully. A polluted stream trickled through this gully and was bridged by a narrow archway of stone. Numerous pools of mud were dotted around the cavern, venting sulphuric steam into the air.

Here the troglodytes ambushed them, emerging from hiding as most of the band were traversing the precarious archway. A volley of hot, liquid mud splashed over them as they crossed, covering the bridge in a slippery film of sludge. Only Cyd and Fengal, the frontrunners of the band, managed to reach the far side. Tharxes tried to join them, but lost his balance, and tumbled toward the gully. His fall was arrested by Daerth, who was pulled to his knees as Tharxes dangled over the reeking stream. The big half-orc’s bulk blocked the other companions’ progress, leaving Cyd and Fengal to fight a dozen troglodytes alone on the far side of the crossing.

More boiling mud was hurled at the bridge, burning Daerth’s scalp and shoulders and making the surface even more treacherous. The rest of the Witchwolves tried to retreat, but so wobbly was their footing many were forced to crawl upon their hands and knees. Only Zedar opted not to withdraw. Instead, the agile rogue vaulted over Daerth’s hunched frame and skated effortlessly along the scolding mud, reaching Cyd just in time to jab his scimitar into the side of a trog that had been trying to flank her.

From the muck of the fouled stream rose a trio of foot high, bipedal brown lizards with large crests running along their spines. They looked up at Tharxes with beady, black appraising eyes. He was being dangling just out of reach, like a carrot before a donkey.

The muckdwellers clearly liked the treat that was presented to them. First one, then another, hopped out of the water and clamped their jaws around Tharxes’ ankles. Tharxes squealed and Daerth grunted as he tried to adjust to the extra weight.

Then the third muckdweller spat a stream of heated stream water into the half-orc’s eyes.

He recoiled and Tharxes fell, crashing into the stream with a splash. The water was only shin deep, but a pack of muckdwellers were on him in moments; many more waddling out of the steaming shadows to attack their prey.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  10:01:11  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Continued ...

Ventias used his magic to draw the water from the slick of mud covering the bridge, leaving it baked hard and solid and allowing the rest of the Witchwolves to charge across to aid their beleaguered companions. It was then the troglodytes played their final trick, dislodging a massive yet unstable column of stone to crush the bridge and the adventurers running across it.

Joreth snarled out words of magic, the arcane syllables pouring from his mouth with desperate speed yet complete control. Purple light flared about his simple staff as the mighty stone pillar collapsed atop them. One end of the staff was braced against the bridge; the other met the hurtling column of rock.

The staff should have splintered in an instance. The bodies of the friends should have splintered an instant later. Instead, the stone pillar stopped dead, its fall arrested by Joreth’s ensorcelled staff.

Reunited, the Witchwolves quickly defeated their attackers, and rescued Tharxes from the gully, were he was battling furiously nearly a score of muckdwellers. Deudon reached into the gully with his long spear, and Tharxes held off his assailants just long enough to leap and grab its haft and be pulled to safety.

Moments after, Joreth’s magic faltered; the staff supporting the teetering stone snapped, the bridge became rubble, and the muckdwellers in the gully became mincemeat. The massive column completed its collapse, filling the ravine with sundered stone and sending water and steam pluming into the air. The noise of the destruction was thunderous, the roar echoing from wall to wall for many breaths afterwards.

Beyond this cave, the Witchwolves found a long but shallow chasm, filled with a rare, fragrant strain of Underdark fungus known as deep lilies. Their sweet perfume was a welcome relief from the sickening musk of the troglodytes and the sulphurous tang of the mud pits. The chasm was filled with the heaped refuse of the troglodyte tribe, and inhabited by an otyugh. The Witchwolves filed along a narrow ledge, identifying and avoiding a series of pit traps designed to drop them into the garbage and its resident monster.

The Witchwolves travelled the length of the chasm, and then entered the mazelike tunnels of the troglodytes living quarters, which were filthy, stinking and often partially flooded with cold, fetid water. Occasionally a poorly aimed javelin would arc out of the darkness at them, but otherwise it seemed the residents weren’t home. Gorik suspected the troglodytes were in fact watching them, relying on their darkvision and chameleon skin to remain undetected. Another confrontation was soon to come.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  10:02:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Continued ...

In a dark corner of the troglodytes lair Gorik found a half submerged cubby-hole that served as a larder. The dwarf broke down the bars of hardened mushrooms stalks and led out a sorry band of five ugly creatures. They were mongrelfolk; roughly humanoid in build but seemingly made from the parts of a dozen different races. One was almost as big as Daerth, but hunched over like an old man on waddling bow-legs. Another resembled Gorik, with an impressive flowing beard, except that every other area of exposed skin was just as hairy as his chin. A third had face half covered in scales, and dragged a limp reptilian tail behind him.

They could speak the common tongue, and although their pronunciation was clumsy their speech was embellished with all kinds of melodious animal noises. The whirrings of crickets crept out between the words, high clicks like bats punctuated their statements, and each sentence was terminated with a nightjar’s warble.

One particularly ugly mongrelman seemed to be the leader. His appearance seemed closest to a goblin, but even more hideous, which to any who have seen a goblin will know is a harsh condemnation indeed. Despite being unarmed and half-starved, he retained his cunning, and answered questions with great shrewdness. It is not really possible to transcribe his name; I will use Yaptrilltweet as a rough amalgamation of the different animal noises it contained.

For a candle, the two groups interrogated each other cautiously. They seemed to know a great deal about the lands of the surface, and questioned the Witchwolves on their names and birthplaces, and which cities of Chessenta were currently at war with each other. Although they did not mention it explicitly, it seemed they understood the value of the gold in these caves, and seemed particularly curious about the founding of Golden Greaves.

Yaptrilltweet gathered his companions and made to leave, and before he vanished into the shadows he said: “Should your explorations lead you west, then beware the rest of my folk. Their minds are not their own, and they will greet you with violence.”

Shortly after releasing the mongrelfolk, the Witchwolves stumbled into the chamber of the troglodytes’ chieftain, a mean old creature who reclined on a throne carved into an enormous toadstool. In the shadow of this mushroom the Witchwolves fought a colossal battle with the chief and the greater part of his followers. Many of the tribe fell to their blades, and the rest fled when Daerth’s mighty greataxe split the bloating belly of their leader.

The strength of the troglodytes broken, the Witchwolves explored the last few caves of their lair. One was dominated by a particularly large pit of mud. Embedded into its muddy shores were rows upon rows if troglodyte eggs, incubating in the heat. The custodian of the cave was an ancient, hunched trog whose scaly flesh no longer retained its camouflaging powers and sloughed away from his body like sheets of parchment.

“Let the last of mine and our eggs go. Will not seek we to eat your flesh. But if death is all your hands can hold, our god will arise and eat you, every one” he declared.

The Witchwolves were weary from their many battles, and after some short negotiation called a truce with the withered shaman. He summoned the survivors of his tribe, some troglodytes and many more powerful tren, who gathered the eggs in bags of cave moss and then left the chamber without another word.

After the departure of the troglodytes, the Witchwolves had one final battle to fight. Adjacent to the egg chamber they discovered another cave laden with veins of gold that crisscrossed the floors, walls and ceilings in a precious, valuable matrix. Unfortunately, the cave was also home to a pack of gaunds. These monsters used their eye rays in a darkly inventive way – they blasted the gold veins, heating them till the molten ore was afire. The Witchwolves were forced to battle the gaunds amidst these treacherous gutters of liquid gold, watching their steps as carefully as their weapons. Inevitably, some of the clumsier warriors fell victim to these perils, and Deudon painfully earned himself the nickname ‘Gold Boot’ by stepping into one of the superheated puddles.

Despite these mishaps, the Witchwolves outfought and slaughtered the gaunds, and then returned whence they had come to the surface. Their first foray under the mountain was over, but the following day they would venture down again, to encounter a most unexpected and misplaced adversary.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  20:54:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet...I love it absolutely. Your players probably did too!

Congratulations on pulling off what seems to have been a great adventure!

EDIT: what spell did he use to make his staff stop the pillar?

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 30 Mar 2011 00:31:26
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  08:39:01  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dalor!

The spell was a homebrew version of decastave. It uses the wizard's real staff as the material component, and unlike the standard decastave spell you can release it from your hand (for a short time) without the magic expiring.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000