Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Concerning Chessenta's human population 4th Ed.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  05:05:16  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so according to Races of Faerun (3.X Edition), the vast majority (75%, to be exact) of Chessenta's civilization was Mulan Human during the Era of Upheaval with Turami humans being the next-largest denomination (20%), and Chondathans the least (4%). Now, during the Spellplague, at least Mulhorand and Unther were destroyed, and the Mulan race just about wiped off the face of Faerun.

The puzzling part of this situation is this: Was it just the terrain being destroyed, or did the people themselves (at least in Mulhorand's case) only get destroyed in that ravage of the Spellplague? Are there much of any Mulan Humans left, namely in Chessenta, or have they essentially become extinct and the Turami Humans became the major denominator? I don't care about the immigrants who have come in from neighboring areas, including Tymanther or such, just the humans.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  06:12:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of Thay was populated by people of Mulan descent, historically quite arrogant about their racial "superiority" over other groups such as Rashemi. I'm not sure how many of them might still be alive under Szass Tam's gentle governance.

I suspect that Mulani populations were largely concentrated in Mulhorand and neighbouring regions, any migration would have likely been southward; individuals and small groups are probably scattered all across Toril (and beyond).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  16:10:24  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Most of Thay was populated by people of Mulan descent, historically quite arrogant about their racial "superiority" over other groups such as Rashemi. I'm not sure how many of them might still be alive under Szass Tam's gentle governance.

I suspect that Mulani populations were largely concentrated in Mulhorand and neighbouring regions, any migration would have likely been southward; individuals and small groups are probably scattered all across Toril (and beyond).

Oh, yes... forgot about Thay. I just get bored of the constant mage-heavy nations.

So, you would say there are still a good number of Mulan Humans in Chessenta, though?

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  17:01:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I am only passingly familiar with that locale, and I cannot recall any specific mention of Mulani. Ye might ask Markus or Christopher Rowe, they seem far more knowledgeable about these distant regions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  17:23:09  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't own the new FRCG but my guess is that 100 years isn't enough to clear away the mulan populations of the Old Empires. Three or four generations of mingling with immigrants of Deep Imaskari, Abeiran, Kara-Turan and Chondothan stock might have reduced the Mulan population to less then a quarter of what it once was. How much less is up to you as a DM to fill in.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  02:00:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I don't own the new FRCG but my guess is that 100 years isn't enough to clear away the mulan populations of the Old Empires. Three or four generations of mingling with immigrants of Deep Imaskari, Abeiran, Kara-Turan and Chondothan stock might have reduced the Mulan population to less then a quarter of what it once was.
Indeed. Considering how long the Mulan have had to spread and intermingle across the length of time since their arrival in the Realms, I don't think one single century would result in much of a severe decrease... unless the mulan were specifically the target of a racial reduction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:23:56  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what's been said - namely Bladewind & The Sage's points, seems to accomplish what I was looking for. Thanks, guys.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  19:59:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I understand it, it was left purposely vague, so the DMs get to decide how much of the 'Old Empires' is still left (pretty much just ruins).

I don't think (AFAIK) that the people were transposed with Abeir, like what happened elsewhere - I just think they got hit hard by the Spellstorm. Picture a town hit by a tornado. Now picture a huge nation hit by a 100 mile-wide tornado...

The people, if I understand it correctly, are still there (the survivors, at any rate), but all their major settlements were wiped-out (AFAIK). This must be the case because the amount of folk in deep Imaskar didn't really number that many, at least not to have such a vast empire now (46K is a LOT for one city, but ridiculous for nation as large as returned Imaskar). Thats why I think the power-base (Gov't, major settlements, military, etc) were completely destroyed during the Spellplague, the people were decimated, and the Deep Imaskari saw their opportunity and rushed in (or 'up', rather) to fill the void.

Thats what makes the most sense to me. The new nation filled its ranks with the survivors of the fallen lands.

But as I said, I 'think' your supposed to figure out what happened for yourself. Whatever your ebil DM mind can dream-up can be there now, including surviving cabals of Mulan, secretly plotting their own return.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2011 18:37:12
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  05:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chessenta in 4E is still predominantly a nation of mulan ancestry.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drback/20100520

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  18:21:10  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Chessenta in 4E is still predominantly a nation of mulan ancestry.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drback/20100520

Wow! Thanks for the input, sir. Much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000