Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Changeling question...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DourdenAdam
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  11:50:42  Show Profile  Visit DourdenAdam's Homepage Send DourdenAdam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright, I play a lawful good Changeling assassin that worships Bahamut. I did that simply for the lolz. I mean, people don't truly expect assassins to be good let alone lawful good. He's fun to play as, almost as enjoyable as my slutty female Eladrin wizard named Bob.

However, I have a few questions about changelings. Now, this is under the 4ed rules. So, I hope you will be able to help me. First off it states "Shapechanger - You have the shapechanger quality." Does that mean that I am weak to silver? I mean I assume it does, but, I dont have regeneration to lose when I'm hit with it.

Second, are Changelings able to get spellscars? If so, when they change shape, does the spellscar disappear or do they retain it throughout their transformations? Thank you very much for assisting me in this problem.

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  12:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shapechanger quality should be explained either in the Monster Manual or the Rules Compendium (see the index).

As for the spellscar, nothing states that they can't get a spellscar, and I would rule that it is retained throughout.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

DourdenAdam
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  16:16:31  Show Profile  Visit DourdenAdam's Homepage Send DourdenAdam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But as I see it, if they can shapeshift their body changing their gender, height and all that fun stuff shouldn't they also be able to hide or mask their spellscar?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  17:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Spellscar would probably have the power to resist the shapechanging ability. Maybe it can be masked into looking like something else, or it manifests itself in different ways 9say they change into an animal, well the scar appears as a second tail). I think that would be pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  17:44:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go along with Alisttair on this; I would rule that some evidence of the Spellscaring MUST be retained in whatever form they take. To hide it goes against the very flavor of the spellscars, and should not be allowed.

I site two precedents, one FR and the other non-FR:

The Maluagrym can take any form they wish, but their eyes always give them away.

In folklore, certain Fey-types can alter their shapes and appear human, but some abnormality is always evident (pointed ears, left and right hands reversed, pig-nosed, feet backwards, etc...)

Although mechanically I can see your point, it would be a way to circumvent the drawbacks of spellscars (they look 'different', and people shun them), and any time a player figures out a way to do that*, it should be nerfed by the DM.

*And by "that", I mean 'break the flavor of the rules, if not the letter.'

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2011 17:46:12
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:09:54  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before even getting to the spellscar issue, an assassin who is lawful good? ...huh?

Murderer-for-hire sorta goes against the whole concept of goodness, methinks.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:12:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, you've never heard of (or seen) Remo Williams?

I love the concept of Sinanju, and inserted it into my Eastern Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2011 18:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:30:42  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What, you've never heard of (or seen) Remo Williams?

I love the concept of Sinanju, and inserted it into my Eastern Realms.

Heh, in no way would I classify Remo Williams, or even the House of Sinanju as "good"...

Entertaining, yes. Darkly humorous, definitely. But not "good"... they're still murderers, after all.

Chaotic neutral with a splash of badass, yes.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:37:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They murder for the Greater Good - its an interesting concept, at least.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:45:29  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They murder for the Greater Good - its an interesting concept, at least.

It's definitely an interesting idea, although flawed. Logic can be used to justify almost anything, even murder. But that doesn't make it right, or good.

Anyway, I don't wanna tangent too much... just thought it was weird.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  11:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for the alignment Therise, I think we need to break that down also first.
Let's his the Lawful part. I see no problem there as long as Murder is legal in the lands (an assassin in the employ of the king).
The good part can work if they are assassins of evil beings (demons, devils, etc...) so that is covered as well.

Go to Top of Page

DourdenAdam
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  17:42:35  Show Profile  Visit DourdenAdam's Homepage Send DourdenAdam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He murders evil doers... you know like in our world repeat offenders. Those that can't be change or redeemed. He also has a heavy set of morals. He views highway men, theives, the evil kind of assassins as lower beings and only worthy of death. He is not the sort of person that would outwardly kill someone without hearing their reasons first. Though, with his passive insight he'd likely believe them if it werent for his other party members.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Markustay on both the spellscarring being in evidence somehow despite shape and in that assassins can be lawful good. In this context it's a class, not a profession, and so a set of skills, not necessarily evincing an attitude or moral compass. Paladins, after all, are also trained killers.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:14:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should move on from the morality issue... That's a discussion that can get ugly, fast.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Perhaps we should move on from the morality issue... That's a discussion that can get ugly, fast.

Probably a good idea.

Back to the original post, I don't have the Eberron book, is what you're quoting there exactly what it says about what it means to be a shapeshifter? The Compendium says (I think this excerpt is more than short enough to be fair use): "You are a shapechanger; you can alter your appearance. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect shapechangers."

Which just means if you run up against somebody who has a power or an item that's particularly efficacious against shapechangers then you're a legit target for that person.

Is that what you were asking about?

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 09 Mar 2011 18:29:27
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that might be correct.

Go to Top of Page

DourdenAdam
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  02:04:03  Show Profile  Visit DourdenAdam's Homepage Send DourdenAdam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a shapechanger, does he have weakness to silver like wereanimals?
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  02:18:33  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DourdenAdam

As a shapechanger, does he have weakness to silver like wereanimals?

No mention of such under the shapechanger description in Monster Manual page 283.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  06:15:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt James wrote this scroll (and a Wizards article) about shifters in the Realms. Alas, I think one needs DDI access to read the article.

Goodman Games Complete Guide to Doppelgangers, Complete Guide to Rakshasas, Complete Guide to Wererats, and Complete Guide to Werewolves all deal with shapeshifters.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Mar 2011 06:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  01:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the changellings exist.in 3.5 and what is the license on it is I it part of tge open gaming content stuff?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  04:37:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a changeling template in the SRD, and of course all the OGL books I named above. Yes, they exist in 3.5E.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  05:26:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Does the changellings exist.in 3.5 and what is the license on it is I it part of tge open gaming content stuff?

Changelings were intro'ed in the 3.x era, as one of the new races for the Eber-whatsit setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  10:46:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rule that as a Shapechanger, you'd be subject to items, spells, and so forth that affect shapechangers even if you don't have the abilities many others possess. Same goes for elves/eladrin being under Fey or Warforged being under Construct. Though it hardly has any real adverse affects since you don't have some of the common abilities as other Shapechangers.

As for LG Assassins, 4E did away with Alignment on the whole. This allows a free-range morality compass no matter what flavor character your trying to make (like a LG Assassin, or a LG Barbarian/Monk, or a CE Paladin, etc...)

EDIT: Oh, the Spellscar question. Spellscars can be obtained by any PC regardless of class or race. This spellscar remains visible regardless of what form you'd change into as it's a physical mar on your body that even cosmetic cover-ups can't hide. And even if the scar was covered, whenever it was "activated" it would no doubt flare up and be seen by anyone within immediate vacinity. This is how I'd rule them.

Edited by - Diffan on 29 Mar 2011 10:48:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000